Spices

Secret Kitchen

Eunha took a glance at the phone’s screen.

12:15 a.m.

Her heart felt like being squeezed hard. The flower blossom was slowly getting burnt from outside. Wiping the tears off her face, Eunha closed her eyes.

 

“Kim So Jung, this is your last chance... You always...”

 

 

- Eunha, why don’t you turn on the light?

 

The clack of shoes hitting on the wooden floor.

 

In the heat of the moment, Eunha climbed on the table and dashed to the owner of that voice. The small girl used both of her hands to embrace the tall girl that she’s madly in love with. She wanted to confirm that this was real. Sowon was home. Finally.

 

Taken aback by Eunha’s action, Sowon smiled in satisfaction. Her hand which was about to turn on the light slowly joined with the other hand to form a hug protecting the smaller girl, making it no gap between them. Her hand then found it way to the smaller girl’s hair and caressed it in a relaxed manner full of love just like she always does.

 

- Did you eat the beef?

 

No reply. Just more sobbing in Sowon’s chest. Eunha’s hug obviously tightened.

 

Not knowing how but Sowon managed to move both of them to the couch. And when they were lying on the couch, Eunha’s hands were still around Sowon’s waist.

Sowon was patting on Eunha’s but then her hand moved up to the bunny’s back. This position made her feel weird and hot.

 

They stayed like that until Eunha’s sobbing deadened. Realizing the change, Sowon moved her chin off Eunha’s head.

- Eunha, I’m sorry. I didn’t know it would take this long. Did you wait for me?

Eunha nodded.

Sowon giggled, using one hand to lift the smaller’s girl chin to look at her. Accidentally, her knee hit the smaller girl’s, making Eunha sank to her knees with a groan. Not hearing a word from Eunha, Sowon immediately kneeled down and in front of her eyes was a terrible bruise. Her eyes brows furrowed in worry. Although Eunha couldn’t see Sowon’s face right now, she knew clearly how Sowon looked right now. Replaying Sowon’s eyebrows in her mind made Eunha unable to suppress a chuckle.

 

-  What are you laughing about? You knee got bruised - Carefully rubbed her hand against Eunha’s knee, hoping to soften the pain for her girlfriend.

-  I clumsily hit the table …- Eunha sounded reluctant before completing her sentence- …when I ran to get my beef in the kitchen.

 

Sowon let out a short breath, her eyes met Eunha’s.

The big eyes were staring at her amusedly and intensely. It’s not the first time Sowon saw this kind of stare but Sowon had to admit she were never able to resist this stare. Something vulnerable. Something intimidating. Something y. Always full of passion. Sometimes, Sowon even saw something more than passion but today, she saw more. Although the eyes greeting her earlier were sparkling but now they were stained with sadness and untold secrets. Eunha’s eyes were lightly pink and puffy. She must have been crying for a long time. How long?

 

Sowon’s fingers softly moved to Eunha’s eyes and caressed them.

- Was the beef delicious? Because your taste is a bit different from the kids so I made a special dish more spicy for only you. I saw you barely touched the beef at dinner so I guess I had done a good job. Should you compliment your girlfriend?

 

Sowon unconsciously changed her voice into kids’s tone. That’s how her voice would sound when there are only two of them.

 

- I like it- said Eunha quietly. She really looked like a bunny.

- Thank God, I thought you cried to the extent that you’re mute.

- Unnie!!!-  Eunha throw her small fist into Sowon chest but Sowon caught it and make their fingers intertwined.

 

She stepped one step forward and tightened their grip:

- Why did you cry?

 

Eunha didn’t think she could escape the deep ocean of Sowon eyes. She had no idea if Sowon had casted a spell on her or something but whenever Sowon used this kind of look on her, she just wanted to immerse herself in it because it was all sincerity and gentleness. During the time she realized her feelings for the leader, she used to wish Sowon were born as a boy, so that she wouldn’t find confessing to Sowon scary. But when they’re in a relationship, as their love blossomed, deep down in her heart, Eunha formed a gratitude to God because Sowon was a girl. An honest girl, a leader who took good care of dongsaengs, a good-natured sister and a trust-worthy company. Eunha didn’t know if Sowon would keep these amazing traits if she were a boy but all the characteristics suited Sowon as a girl, a girl that Eunha could hardly stop herself from falling in love with more and more.

 

- Eunha-yah...

Sowon kept silent for a while.

She seemed very cautious with what she was about to say next: 

- ...did you see the message TaeHyung oppa sent me?

 

It took Sowon some seconds to see Eunha nod and keep her head down after that. Seeing this scene gave Sowon unbearable pain, her hand tightened the grip and she nonchalantly said what she thought Eunha had to know:

- Eunha-yah, Taehyung oppa has had a crush on me for a long time, even when I was dating the guy who later cheated on me back then.

- ...

- You must believe me I just got to know that information not long ago.

- When?

- Some days ago

- Some days???- Eunha suddenly shrieked in disbelief- Everyone knows he likes you. He presses heart in every single photo you post on Instagram!

 

Sowon cluelessly stared at Eunha.

- Are you ...jealous?

No answer was given but Sowon could see Eunha’s red ears. She bit her lips to resist chuckling. She knew this was not the right time.

 

- I swear I’m telling the truth. I know he likes me but… i just don’t know that long time, so I ...

Sowon's long fingers started to wander around Eunha’s ear.

- So... you are now his girlfriend?

- Don’t be silly! How can I?

 

Eunha let go of Sowon’s hand and turned her back on Sowon.

 

- TaeHyung oppa was good at hiding his feelings so I didn’t know about his crush on me. Then I left DSP and joined Soumu, in some first months, I really missed the unnies and oppas from DSP...

- Did you like him?

Sowon observed Eunha from behind.

“Maybe”

Eunha’s body stiffened. She’s holding her breath.

“Because of the tight schedules, I could hardly meet them, but we often exchanged texts to encourage each other. We here mean I and all of my friends from DSP”.

Receiving no response from Eunha, Sowon placed her hand on the smaller girl’s shoulder and continued.

 

“Not long after our group’s debut, Sojin ... committed suicide” Sowon’s voice got much sadder.

 

Eunha placed her hand on the bigger one on her shoulder. Sojin was the best friend Sowon had from DSP. Three years passed but Sowon still got emotional whenever Sojin was mentioned. Eunha knew Sowon was a person full of love and a loyal, caring friend and Sojin’s departure left a big scar in Sowon’s heart. Eunha knew becoming an idol was not only Sowon’s dream but also Sojin’s unfulfilled dream.

 

“I was in deep pain at that time. You and the kids were not familiar with Sojin. I had no one to share the loss I was suffering. Sometimes, I just wanted to give up. But as a leader, I couldn’t let myself to indulge in mourning Sojin. I couldn’t fail my members and my wish. Because the company didn’t let us use cellphones, I kept in touch with DSP friends by monthly social gatherings. There, TaeHyung oppa was the one who comforted me and helped me overcome that period. He’s a decent guy. I owed him a lot”

 

Sowon shifted her gaze from Eunha’s nape to Eunha’s small hand on hers: "I liked him and ..."

Eunha was holding her breath, suppressing her bitter smile. She should have known this a long time ago. It's she who intervened Sowon's dream and took away her ordinary life. This truth was somewhat she had foreseen but was too scared to accept. Her gaze kept lingering on Sowon's hand, half wanting to withdraw it from the familiar warmth, half just being greedy for the intimate yet short-lived contact. Sowon's long pause was toturing her...

"...I could have fallen for him during that time…"