What is love

One Shots

Related image

You remember the first time you saw him. Dragging your luggage down the alley in the middle of the night. Because your landlord has suddenly decided to cut your contract off, and you didn’t even know why. You came back from work, only to find all your things packed in to the luggage outside your door. With a little note saying that she doesn’t want to rent out anymore with an ‘sorry’ behind it. Well, at least she gave you back this month’s rent in full. Maybe because she felt guilty for kicking you out unnoticed. So, you’re dragging your luggage down the alley deciding to crash at the nearby hotel for the time being.

That’s when you saw him. He was right in front of you, with a group of guys surrounding him. He was badly injured, bruises and scars were shown clearly on his face and body. His back was slight bend to his front, holding on to his stomach. Where he was injured the most. Red spot was soaked on that spot of his plain white t shirt. While he tried to stand straight, but his body was clearly not helping him. Shivering and heavy panting. While the guys around him was smirking, clearly wanting to take advantage of this weaken state. Your mind when blank, not knowing to back out on that scene or help the person in need. But suddenly an idea pops up in your mind. Taking your phone out of your pocket. You googled police car’s siren, blasting your speakers on high. Hoping it would stop the fight and leave the poor guy alone.

And to your surprise it did worked. Well, to some extent. Most of them ran away leaving what looks like the boss and one of his side man. Whom was trying to drag him away, but his leg is rooted down, glaring at the poor guy. Glaring as if he was not content with the damages he has done on the poor guy. And with the wooden stick on his hand, his grip tightens around it. Lifting it slowly with a sly smirk on his face. Knowing fully well that no matter what he does now, the poor guy couldn’t avoid or even protect himself from it. With that, he aimed for his head. And without any thought, you ran up to the poor guy shielding him from the hit. Which when directly down your left shoulder blade. Collapsing with the poor guy on the floor together. The impact was so huge that, after you groan in pain the last thing you heard was “! BOSS!!! LET’S GET OUT OF HERE NOW!!”. Then, your world turned black after that.

When you finally woke up, it was the die to the major pain you felt on the left side of your upper body. You swear you have never felt anything like this before. Groaning in pain, you stir in somewhat comfortable bed. Too comfortable to be your own. The covers smelling a lot like fresh laundry and mint. You shot your eyes open and shot your body up. Regretting it in a spilt second. Cursing your lungs out. Taking in your surrounding after you’re done. Noticing you’re in some fancy big bedroom. That might have a walk-in closet and a big bathroom. Each that might be even bigger than your rented house all together. The room was decorated in black a white. Very modern, clean, and slick. Kicking off the covers, getting out of the bed, wishing you could just be buried in them forever. You got yourself to the door of the room. Turning the nob slowly, trying not to make any noise. Letting the door peek open a little, so you could just peek out.

Peeking out, a string of curses echoed around the house. As you find the source it was from. A guy in the kitchen leaning on the table top breathless. You took the time to take in his features. Pale white skin, lean body, mint green hair, delicate face feature, cold glaze. It wasn’t until you looked into his eyes, you realise he has caught you staring. You froze there, not knowing what to do. 

“Ehmm.. Hey”

“Hey…”

“You feeling better?”

“Ehm…. I guess……”

“Thanks….”

“For?”

“Taking a hit for me. I really appreciate it.”

“Nah, it’s nothing.”

“You shouldn’t have.”

“I’m fine. And you can’t just ask me to turn a blind eye watching you actually die infront of my eyes”

“I aren’t that weak. I could take it even if it’s a big blow.”

“Sure thing, big guy. Whatever you say.”

“Hey!”

“Well, I’m not the one cursing endlessly to the kitchen just to get a glass of water.”

“That’s just plain rude. I even brought you back here.”

“Well, I appreciate it. But I don’t think you’re actually the one who brought me back here, looking at your condition.”

“You’re a smart one.”

“Just observant.”

//Both of you chuckled//

“So… I saw a luggage nearby and brought it back thinking it might be yours. Is it??”

“Ahh… Yes!”

“Where were you going with your luggage in the middle of the night?”

‘’My landlord didn’t want to rent anymore. So, I was practically kicked out.”

“In the middle of the night?”

“I was working overtime and came home to the news”

“Ahh…. So you’re looking for a place to live?”

“Yup”

“Eh… I know it’s weird, but if you’re not comfortable with it you could reject it. I don’t mind you staying here until you find a place for you to stay permanently.” 

“Noooo I could just live in some hotel down the streets. I’m alright.”

“That doesn’t sound safe. Plus, that all I could do to make it up to you.”

“But we don’t even know each other.”

“I’m Yoongi. My friends call me Suga. I’m 25 this year. I’m a boss in a company that deals with trades. I’m practically home most of the time, but if I’m away I might be gone for a while. You?”

“____. 22 this year. I work in a café with irregular shifts. But to sum it up…. I don’t want to be rude and correct me if I’m wrong. You’re practically a mafia right?”

“Well, if you put it that way… Yup. You’re smart. And that’s the reason I asked you to stay here. Because it might be dangerous for you. Well, you did save my life yesterday and those guys might be on to you thinking you’re related to us. So, stay here until I make sure it’s safe for you?”

“….. But if I’m staying I should at least pay a rent or something.”

“You save my life, took a hit for me and I put your life in danger. You expect me to collect rent from you? That doesn’t sound right.”

“I can’t be possibly be living here for free, can I?”

“If you really insist, you could just help me get around the house and cook for me? If you know how to.”

“Deal!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that’s how you spend the next few months in the apartment with a stranger you save. Slowly everything become a routine. You work when you have shifts, help to get around the house by cooking a meal for him with anything left in the fridge. He’s home most of the time, trapping himself in his own room. And if he actually left for work, it would be at least 3 days to a week long. This few months you got to know this stranger quite well. How he like his coffee black with no sugar. How he cringes his nose every time he smiles. How he would be trap in his own room mixing music and writing lyrics as a hobby. Forgetting everything else around him once he starts, as if he’s in his own world. Forgetting the time and his meal as well, until you force him to stop and eat. How he like to cuddle up on the couch with blankets and pillows, and a bowl of popcorn, every Friday, watching an action movie. How his cold exterior you once see was slowly melting away, because he is actually a big softie. Slowly and surely, you’re getting more comfortable and used to the stranger you’re living with. And slowly and surely, he has claimed your heart as his.

You have no idea how, when and where you fell for him. Maybe it’s his gummy smile. Maybe it’s the sparks in his eyes when he tells you about the song he just produce. Maybe it’s his soft and pure heart. Maybe it’s how his leg tangles with yours under the pile of blankets during movie night. Maybe it’s how his shoulder feels or how his hand drabbles around your shoulder protectively making you feel like he wouldn’t let anyone, or anything harm you. Maybe it’s how you finally found comfort on someone. Maybe it’s how right it feels to be in his arms, how rights it feels to fall for this familiar stranger right here. Because surely, the heart works in a very weird way from our mind and life. You can’t tell your heart, who, where and when to fall. You can’t control it like your mind and life. But the only thing you could control was deciding to let your mind and life catch up with your heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legs tangled together, head resting on his neck, his head resting on yours, your hand rested on his waist, his hand rested on your shoulder. Avengers infinity war is playing infront of both of you. Maybe it’s the atmosphere, that feel so right. That made you suddenly have a spike of confidence at the moment.

‘What if I like you?’

Shifting your head up from his shoulder looking at him. While he stares back at you confuse, not knowing if he hears right the first time.

‘What if I fell for you?’

Looking back at him desperately. His glaze softens, falling from your eyes to your lips. For a moment you’re sure you felt your heart stopped. As he inches closer to your face. ‘This was it’ you told yourself ‘finally’. Closing your eyes, waiting for his lips to meet yours. Only, it never did. And before you know it, he was shuffling back on the couch. Giving you an apologetic look. You felt a ‘pang’ in your heart. Suddenly your mind is all over the place, having a surge of over whelming feelings in you. Trying to suppress everything and giving a fake smile.

‘I’m sorry...’

‘I was just joking! I got you! HAHAHHAH’

You’re not even convince by yourself. You’re sure that he picked it up. That you’re clearly lying. But you’re glad at least he went along with it. Not making the atmosphere weirder. As if it could get even worst.

‘Ahhhhhhh.. You really got me there.’

……..

‘Well... I’m going away tomorrow. Might take longer this time. There’s some problems I need to settle personally. So, I might be heading to bed early.’

Getting up from the couch going in to his own room.

‘Yoongi. Just…. Just be careful.’

Turning around the last time. Looking at you, before heading in his own room.

‘I will. In the meantime, don’t cause any trouble alright. Take care of yourself.’

‘Geeze, I’m not a kid! You too. Goodnight.’

‘Goodnight ______’

 

And that was it. That was the last time you ever saw him. When you woke up the next day, he was already gone. You had decided last night on your own that, it was best to leave. You feel like you had over stayed. And it has been a few months, and nothing has happened to you. Hence, deciding it was time to move out. Looking for a rental apartment near your workplace last night till dawn. Packing your things after you woke up. You when down to looked at your rental apartment. And before you know it, 2 days has just passed by and you’re already moved in to your new rental apartment. Only leaving a small note in his house to tell him that’s you’re grateful for his help and that you’ve moved. To notice him when he was back from his work trip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*3 weeks later*

 

It was like any other day at work. 2 in the afternoon, lunch crowd was slowly dying down. And the café has return to a peaceful state. Humming along the music played throughout the café. Back facing the counter. Using your phone to pass time, snice there was no new customer coming in yet. It was then you hear the bell of the cafe door ring, indicating a new customer coming in. Turning yourself around, tucking your phone in your back pocket. Getting to greet whoever was walking to the counter.

‘Good Afternoon, Could I take your o----’

Looking up, meeting the glaze of the person you knew so well in the past few months. Staring at him blankly, you couldn’t process anything. He gave you a small smile.

‘Hey’

‘Ehm… Hey..’

‘It’s been quite awhile’

‘Ya….’

‘You looked as beautiful.’

‘Yoongi…’

‘What time do you end your shift?’

‘Pardon?’

‘I was thinking we could catch up. It been awhile.’

‘4’

‘Great. I’ll wait here then. I’ll get a –’

‘Ice americano, double shot, no syrup’

‘You remember?’

‘Yoongi. It has only been 3 weeks.’

‘I know… It just feels like it has been a very long time since I see you.’

‘Ya.. I feel that way too. I’ll make your drink. Just sit anywhere you’re comfortable with.’

 

Before you know it, your shift was over. Removing the apron from your body. You when to the back-storage room to take your bag. Walking back out to the café, to where he was sitting. A small smile tucked on to your lips. Looking at his doze off state. Lips slightly apart, lying on table on his arms, head sideways. You sat down across him looking at him. Thinking of how much you missed this familiar stranger you had spent a few months with. Lying down on your hands as well, you lie beside him. Lying side ways facing him. Taking in his features and drowning yourself with his looks. Mesmerized by this boy infront of you. And as if he felt you staring, his eyes fluttered open. Meeting yours. As if time stops, both of you stayed there, staring at each other. As if communicating your thoughts with your eyes. You’re the first one to break the eye contact, sitting up straight. And for a second you swear you saw a smile tugged on his lips before you break the glaze. Making him sit up as well.

‘I was thinking if you want to have a movie night over my place?’

‘Sure.’

‘Let’s get some snacks on the way?’

And that’s how you end up sitting on the same couch with him with an action movie playing infront of you just like a few months ago. Blaming yourself in your head for agreeing to this. Because the atmosphere is too awkward and both of you are too stiff and tense sitting right next to each other. Clearly knowing that none of you are actually watching the movie playing.

‘So… how’s your new place?’

‘Hmm small but it has everything I need and it’s cosy. It’s near my work place as well. So, I’ve no complains.’

‘I’m glad…’

……

‘So how have you been?’

‘Same as always. But feeling kind of empty.’

‘Empty?’

Looking at you, giving you a small smile before it drops down to a frown.

‘Without you here. Kind of feel weird.’

Smiling back at him, you’re thinking what he meant by that. But you didn’t want to misinterpret it.

‘You’ll get used to it. You live like that even before you met me.’

‘…. But.. I can’t anymore. I feel like it’s as if I’m missing a part of me. And i don't know why.’

Looking at him with wide eyes. You saw a plead in his eyes. But you shrug it off. By laughing.

‘You’re aggerating, Yoongi. You only miss the food I cook. Not me.’

But he was not laughing. He placed his hand on top of your, grabbing it. Squeezing it a little. Making you looked back at him. And slowly, he inches forward. Glazed drop to your lips. Just like that night. But before he got close enough to your face, you jotted back. As that night scene played back in your head.

‘Ehmmm.. I think it’s late. I should be going…’

Trying to stand up, but he didn’t let you. Hand gripping yours tighter. You could tell he was panicking from the way his pupil dilates, pleading you.

‘Don’t… Don’t you like me anymore….?’

‘What?’

‘You left because you don’t like me, anymore right?’

‘What are you talking about?’

‘Since that night… I didn’t mean to push you away…. I panicked. I didn’t want to kiss you before asking you out. I didn’t want to kiss you and leave you all alone the next few days when I go on a work trip. I don’t know why I did that. All I know was, I didn’t want to leave the next day. But…. I had to. If only I didn’t. You wouldn’t have left. And we wouldn’t be like this now.’

‘Then why did you changed you mind?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Why did you try to kiss me…’

‘I… I like you.. I think..’

‘I think? MIN YOON GI! You can’t push someone that like you away than come telling them that you think you like them.’

‘Arghh….. I’m so bad at this…. I…. I don’t know okay?!’

‘What you don't know??’

‘I don’t know what is love. I don’t know how it feel like to be in love. In the hell would I know if I love you. Because I have never like anyone before. And surely, I have never love anyone before. So how can I know? I’m confuse. I’ve been a mess this few weeks. But all that I know is that I like your company and I like you by myside. I.. Being with you just feel right… I don’t know.. what is love? All I know was when out eyes met for the first time that day in my house. All i wanted was you to stay. I've been thinking of what you say that night and I was sure that you're lying about saying you're just joking.’

Hands on his face his drop is head down.

‘Yoongi…’

You pull both of his hand off his face, cupping his face up. Making his look at you. Giving him a small smile. Before you lean in slowly, making sure he wants this as well. He didn’t move, just letting you lean closer to him. Until both of your faces are just inches apart. Nose brushed against each other. Until you attached your lips with his. Slowly and softly. Both of you are warming up with each other lips on yours. Trying to get familiar with the feeling. Melting in to the kiss. Your hands moved to his shoulder. While he places his hands on your waist. Slowly pulling you closer to him, until there’s no space between both of you. Feeling like everything is finally put in to place. As if the puzzle had been fixed. Both of you only break the kiss when you needed to gash for air. Panting with both of your foreheads on each other.

‘I’ll show you what love is.’

 

Because I put my trust in you to show me what is love.

And it’s only right to teach that someone who made you fall in love, what is love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*2 months later*

Tangled limbs under the sheets. Arms drabbling around your body. While you place yours on his chest. Both of your heads resting on each other necks. Taking in each other scent. Just lying in bed, listening to the birds outside the widow chips. As the ray of sun light shine through the window, lighting up the room.

‘Hey…’

‘Yes baby?’

‘I love you.’