It’s Kibum, not Key.

Late Night Dog Walking

You yawned for the tenth time within 30 minutes and complained to your dog about how tired and sleepy you are. From a distance, you saw someone sitting on a bench, watching his dogs play around in front of him. Your dog saw this too and is now happily trying to drag you towards them. Ah, the things you endure for your little pup.

 

You made your way to the bench and your dog started to play with the two poodles there. You looked at the man on the bench, he was smiling looking at your dogs play with each other. “Do you mind if my dog plays with yours for a bit?” You asked as you eyed the empty spot on beside him and pointed at it. “Also, do you mind if I sit? I’m so tired but this dog’s been itching to go out for a walk.” The guy looked up and smiled at you. “I don’t mind. Come, sit.” He said, patting the empty spot beside him. You thank him and sat down, sighing in content.

 

“What’s her name?” Asked the man beside you, nodding towards the direction of your dog. “Her name is Pat.” You answered. “Pat? Like, Patricia or something?” He gave you a curious look to which you shook your head. “No. Pat, as in, pat the dog.” You answered as you reached for your dog to pat him. This made him laugh and playfully hit your back. “Oh my god, that’s clever and funny! I like it.” He said and you thanked him, laughing along with him. “How about your dogs?” You looked at him and you now realize that he looks somewhat familiar but you just can’t place it.

 

“That brown one is Comme Des,” he said pointing to the brown dog then he pointed to the black one. “And that’s Garçon.” Then it hit you. You’re talking to Key, making you audibly gasp and cover your mouth. It’s SHINee’s Key! THE Kim Key-bum! That’s why he looks so familiar. With eyes wide as the moon and your jaw on the floor, he laughed at you. “You recognize me now, don’t you?” He tilted his head to the side as he raised an eyebrow. Words seem to have left your brain, you can’t form any sentence. Hell, you can’t even think of a word! “Take your time.” He chuckled and went back to watching your dogs play.

 

 

After regaining your composure, you cleared your throat and offered him your hand for a handshake. “I’m Jaekyung.” You said with a smile. “Nice to meet you, Jaekyung-ssi.” He shook your hand and winked at you. You rolled your eyes at him but deep inside, that wink is making you crazy. “So, you’re a shawol, I assume?” He asked and you nodded. “I mean, who isn’t?” You chuckled and looked at the three dogs who look like they won’t be tired anytime soon. “You praise us too much but thank you.” He said.

 

Looking at their leashes, you realized that they’re all tangled together and you’re silently trying to figure out in your head to how to untangle them when Key interrupted your thoughts. “You seem pretty calm and quiet for a shawol who just met this amazing man called Key.” This made you look and grimace. “Wow, you’re as vain as I thought you’d be. The amazing Key, my foot!” You said sarcastically, sticking your tongue out. He exaggeratedly pretended to be offended and he scoffed. “Is this how you treat your bias?!” He asked and you stifled a laugh. 

“Who said you’re my bias?” 

“How am I not your bias? Who’s better than me, huh?”

“Minho-oppa. He’s my bias.”

“That douche-face?!”

“Hey!” You playfully hit his arm and he rubbed it, acting like it hurt so much which made you roll your eyes at him once more. You kept bickering for a few minutes until you both ran out of things to say. Silence fell between the two of you as you watched your dogs, starting to get tired from all the playing too.

 

“So, why aren’t you going all fangirl mode on me? Not that I’m vain or anything but most shawols would kill to be in your position right now.” He asked, nudging you. You looked at him with sleepy eyes and smiled at him. “You’re still a human being.” You said and this made him look at you, asking you to continue. “You also need a break from your stardom because I can guess that it gets tiring and stressful at times and right now, you’re not Key. You’re not on stage, you don’t have any make up or costume on. You’re just you. Just Kim Kibum. A normal guy who also needs his normal life.” You said, softly with a tired smile. “Don’t worry, I’ll fangirl for you when we meet at your fan-signing event next week.” Laughing softly, you looked up the sky and rested your head on the back of the bench. “That’s very nice of you. To think that way, I mean. Thank you.” He said and you smiled, trying to fight the drowsiness but failing.

 

“I’m going home now. It’s already—“ he stopped mid-sentence when he saw you sleeping with your mouth slightly open. He chuckled at this sight and he stared at your face. “Cute.” He whispered and took his phone out to snap a picture of you as he tried to hide his laughter. After doing so, he gently shook you, trying to wake you up. “Hmm?” You slowly opened your eyes and realized that you fell asleep. Your eyes snapped open and you sat up, suddenly very alert. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry I fell asleep!” You said, panicking and wiping the sides of your mouth in case you drooled. Key just laughed and asked for your help to untangle the leashes and you did. It took you a while to get it undone and when you did, you stood in front of each other awkwardly.

 

“So... it’s nice to meet you, Kibum-ssi. I hope to see you again soon.” You smiled at him. “It’s nice to meet you too, Jaekyung-ssi. I’ll see you next week.” He winked at you and you blushed. “Oh, by the way...” he paused and you gave him a curious look. “I actually have BB Cream on.” You both laughed and you just mumbled a ‘whatever’ before saying your goodbyes and parting ways.

 

Back at your apartment, you removed Pat’s leash and ruffled his head. “Thanks for tonight, Pat. I had a great time.” You giggled and stood up to go to your bedroom to finally get a good night’s sleep.