Starlight

Starlight

 

 

Love is amazing, ah..

—Starlight, Taeyeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNmL4JiGxZQ

A/N: I suggest listening to the music while reading, though the story itself might be too long for a three minute plus music video...

~~~~

Image result for starlight taeyeon

The gleam of the dark streetlights in the streets of Los Angeles flickered in the bright nightsky, casting a pulsating glow in the streets below its feet, bathing the dark street in a gentle glow of warm yellow light.

There was a low crack in the middle of the street, and a lithe, slim figure emerged from deep within the shadows of the night, silvery hair glinting in the faint moonlight, a dark cloak mustered around her shoulders, and eyebags beneath a pair of starry eyes. The girl that had appeared seemed to be in her late teens, with a hardened but yet saddened air around her, the slim shoulders that casually had a satchel slug with ease around them tight with tension and anger, as though there was a solid weight of the world on her shoulders.

The starry night was silent, save for the occasional grunts of anger as the young teen took out her frustration against the lamp post she had apparated to, fighting back tears of desperation as she flailed and kicked the metal post viciously, the old metal creaking slightly as it dented with her vampiric strength.

Curse everything.

Mother

Hayeon.

Jiwoong.

Everyone who thinks they can control me because I’m a “hazard” in their life.

A pale hand wiped away tears that streaked past her face viciously.

Maybe not Mother.

A streak of guilt filled the chambers of her heart moments later after her rage had subsided, and her breaths had calmed down to quiet, low ones, long lashes brushing the tips of her cheekbones as she closed her eyes momentarily.

And not Hayeon or Jiwoong either.

Her cheeks flushed at her own rash anger, turning her eyes to the closed shop windows, discarding her cloak swiftly as soon as an outfit caught her eye.

Right. If she was to blend in, she’d have to do it the right way.

The sound of splintering glass filled the still night air, fresh drops of ruby blood splattering from the girl’s clenched fist as she sent it through one of the store windows, eliciting the howl of a security siren.

A flurry of wind breezed past the mannequins toppled over at the display window, pale hands quickly whipping off a light greyish blue vest with a pinkish leopard pattern collar and a printed red and white shirt and a white denim shorts, stripping quickly and changing into the stylish set with flurried steps, vanishing as soon as soon as the shouts of police neared the store.

Leaning close to the shadows of the alleyway, only a flash of silver from her hair caught the beam of one of the flashlights, before she vanished away.

~~

The days had passed mundanely for the young vampire, the green jeweled ring on her finger spelled carefully to allow her to walk out in sunlight, just like all other normal creatures did.

So…now what?

The teen brooded over her widespread of choices, brown eyes roving moodily across the streets of Los Angeles.

She was here to have fun. Since she wasn’t allowed that freedom with her sister.

A scowl overtook the girl’s face as her thoughts drifted to her controlling twin.

Whatever.

She wasn’t going to let that stop her.

The girl lifted her fingers, admiring the new nail art she had gotten the day before.

It had been the “in” thing that one of the girls she had casually made “acquaintance” with had told her, rather adoringly.

Sunlight glistened off the clear polish of her nails, the dark blue triangles a lovely contrast to her pale, slender fingers as she watched the golden threads of the sun sparkle off her pale skin.

A clatter of a skateboard rushed by her, a delinquent boy whooping as he sailed past her, riding on the hot wind and vibrant entrails of his youthful impulses.

Taeyeon’s beautiful eyes fell on the exhilarated boy, the deadened look in her eyes fading to one of curious amusement, before a rush of telltale wind was left behind at the spot she previously stood, startling the skateboarding teen as she appeared suddenly before him, stopping the skateboard with a delicate foot and placing her fingers on his chin, smiling charmingly as she stared into his blue eyes.

“Tell me, what’s the most rebellious thing that teens like you love to do?” She tilted her head lightly as she asked innocently, her enchanting eyes and ethereal beauty capturing the growing teen’s eyes immediately.

A light smirk flitted across her face as the male’s adam apple bobbed lightly, his body’s natural response betraying his fleeting nervousness at this calm, but yet stunning girl before him.

“Uhhhh.” A flicker of annoyance overtook Taeyeon’s face as he opened his mouth staring blankly at her face, engrossed and discombobulated. “I dunno. Maybe spraying some old dude selling hotdogs with ketchup and mustard?”

A flicker of confusion crossed Taeyeon’s youthful face, before a light, ever charming smile overtook her delicate features, her fingers releasing the too tight grip on the boy’s chin.

“Thank you, love.” Cold, pale fingers patted the boy’s cheek lightly, a tinkle of lilting laughter filling the air as she disappeared with the next rush of wind, leaving behind a confused male and the sweetest scent of delicate flowers permeating the Californian air.

~~~

An excited grin almost overtook Taeyeon's features as she stalked towards the hotdog cart with purpose in her very steps, fingers of both hands clenched tightly around the bottle of ketchup and mustard, excitement sparking in her brown eyes for the first in decades.

Hopefully, this was one step to making her closer to feeling alive.

Excitement bubbled in her veins as she whipped out the bottles from her side, catching the old pudgy male by rageful surprise as the bottles spewed forth their contents on his body, loud squelching noises filling the air as the bottles were emptied quickly.

“Hey you!” Adrenaline filled the vampire’s veins as she discarded the bottle, an exclamation of surprise bubbling from her delicate lips as her body crashed into someone else’s own, warm and flushed, the beat of a racing heart pulsating through the thin skin membrane.

Oh.

Taeyeon’s cheeks flushed in slight mortification as a young male turned around confusedly, pulling off his headphones as she turned tail and fled, an apology light on her lips, but never leaving.

Breathes of wild fiery air filled her still lungs as she gasped for breath, her legs pounding the pavement as they carried her away from the scene of her childish crime, her white shoes thudding against the ground, loud in her ears.

That was surprising.

Taeyeon bent her body slightly, bracing her hands against her knees as she inhaled calming breaths.

She hadn’t expected to run into someone while committing that nefarious deed.

She’d even knocked into him!

She raised a flustered hand across her face, regret surging deep in her chest.

Should I go apologise?

Her teeth caught onto her bottom lip nervously, chewing lightly as she contemplated her thoughts, halting her steps lightly as she spied the same male round the corner, glancing down at his white shirt, now stained with ketchup and mustard sauce in rounded dots from where she’s knocked into him.

Oh sod it.

She stepped forward briskly, feet tapping impatiently as she waited for him to notice her in front of him, body slightly confrontational as she leaned mildly to one side, eyes roving over the male calculatively and interestedly.

He didn’t seem angry.

Which was rather odd to her, because if someone had done what she did and stained her shirt, she’d have flown into a rather ugly rage.

Even if what she was currently wearing didn’t belong to her.

Light annoyance flashed over her eyes as the wind buffeted her silvery hair, her ears picking up the cries of police and shouts of the old man just round the corner.

Well, it looked like her apology would be convenient to be said here, if some human was gonna slap some handcuffs on her as soon as they laid their eyes on her.

A huff of exasperated breath left her lips as she stepped forward into a run, briskly grabbing hold of the male’s wrist to drag her alongside with him into an alley a few blocks away.

“Here.” Taeyeon released her grip on the male’s wrist, a flicker of a smile overtaking her features as she watched the confusion marr his young face.

He looks cute confused.

“S-sorry. Do I know you?” The poor male chafed his right lightly with his other hand, rubbing the spot where she had been tightly grabbing just moments before.

“Oh! I’m sorry.” Taeyeon murmured sheepishly, watching his slightly reddened wrist. “Sometimes I forget I’m stronger than most people.”

“Nah. Its nothing.” The male huffed a light laugh, smiling shyly up at her sheepish face. “You...were the one that was spraying mustard and ketchup on that poor man just moments before, right?” A twinkle caught his eyes as he laughed slightly, a smile lighting his face as Taeyeon shifted nervously. “I didn’t think that person would be someone like you.”

“Like me?” Taeyeon didn’t know whether to feel insulted or amused. “I’m sorry, what's wrong with someone like me?

“I mean!” The flustered male floundered adorably. “Delinquents that spray ketchup and mustard on others don’t look like you, you know.” He mumbled awkwardly. “You’re pretty, you’ve got nice hair, and starry eyes...and oh, you know what I mean.”

A genuine laugh bubbled from Taeyeon’s lips at his words.

“You mean there are types for this kind of delinquency?” Her eyes sparkled mischievously with the new information he fed her. “I didn’t know that!”

“You...didn’t?”

“Yep! Or else I would have dressed more appropriately to whatever stereotype you humans have for delinquents that spray ketchup and mustard over others. So tell me, what are those delinquents like?” She rocked forward eagerly on her feet, peering at him through her eyelashes.

“I-I’m..sorry. H-humans?” The poor boy looked even more confused at her words. “What those delinquents are like?” There was a pregnant pause, before a torrent of words flooded from the male’s mouth. “Are you from another country or what? I mean, how can you not know about this?”

Taeyeon shrugged lightly.

“Well, being kept at home by my twin meant I couldn’t venture out into the human world.” She beamed a bright smile at him. “I’m Taeyeon, by the way. What’s yours?”

An adorable smile overtook his slightly handsome features.

“Dean.” He held out his hand to her, watching as she started back slightly in surprise. “This is called a handshake. You give it to people whom you meet for the first time.”

Taeyeon’s bright brown eyes lifted from his extended hand to his dark eyes, before cheekily smiling and taking his hand by his fingers, giving it a light shake from side to side.

“Like this?”

Dean burst into gay laughter, shaking his head lightly.

“No way. Like this.” The warmth from his large hand enclosed around her cold ones in a firm but gentle grip, pulling it up and down in a firm but light handshake. “Thats a handshake.”

“Hm.” Taeyeon tilted her head cheerfully as she considered his words, spinning round on her feet lightly as she mused the meaning of his words.

“Would you--”

“Can you--”

Both of them flushed immediately as they spoke simultaneously, with Dean gesturing lightly that she could speak first.

Was this some kind of tradition that Humans had? Letting women speak first?

Taeyeon’s eyes sparkled merrily.

She liked it.

“I was just going to ask if you minded taking and showing me around things here. Since I’m new and all.” She said cheerfully, her hands lightly clasped behind her back.

“Well..sure.” Dean’s surprise was clearly written on his features. “I was actually planning to ask if you wanted me to show you around, since you don’t seem to know much about here.” He laughed sheepishly, lifting a hand to scratch the back of his hand.

“Awesome!” Taeyeon jumped at the chance, cheering childishly as she pumped her fists into the air, drawing a amused laugh from Dean next to her. “Can I stay at your place?” She peered up at Dean’s face with a huge grin. “Please? I don’t have a place to stay.”

“So...you live on the streets?” Dean raised his eyebrow at her.

“Hm..you could say that.” Taeyeon tilted her head as she answered his question. She couldn’t just tell him that she technically breaks into people’s houses to sleep, couldn’t she?

Afterall, locks were easy to pick, and even easier to break.

“Alright then. I have a spare room, so I don’t mind.” Dean murmured lightly, the flush on his face indicating his apparent embarrassment.

“I won’t go into your room without your permission though.” Taeyeon promised solemnly. “If I do, you can smack me all you like.” Dean blanched lightly at her words, before shaking his head.

“You have to tell me what your family educated you with in the future.” A sigh of exasperated amusement escaped his lips. “Corporal punishment? Is that what they like to do?” Taeyeon flitted after him, her feet pattering lightly on the pavement absentmindedly as she shrugged her shoulders.

“If beatings are what you considered corporal punishment, then maybe yep.” Her other, more bloodthirsty father did like to hit them back in the days that her motherly sire hadn’t been with them, whenever he wasn’t happy, and even after he’d died and left, her equally bloodthirsty adopted brother had taken on that role with vicious vigour. 

At the very least, her human family stayed the same as she remembered them, even after she'd been changed. 

Taeyeon's feet kicked the pavement lightly as memories of Hayeon, her mother and Jiwoong flitted through her head.

“Your family is sick.” Dean muttered under his breath. “Just so you know, I’m not gonna beat you.” Taeyeon’s head jerked up in surprise.

“Really?”

“Absolutely.”

“That's good.” Dean’s mouth opened slightly in shock as she leapt carelessly onto a ledge, his hands floundering nervously as she swayed on the slim edge precariously. “I think you’d probably hurt your hand smacking me.” Dean blinked slightly, deflating as he abandoned the idea of ever asking her what she meant.

“We’re here.”

“Oooh.” Taeyeon leapt down from the ledge curiously, eyes widening with childish pleasure as she peered at the apartment with curious eyes, fingers tracing the numbers 5950 delicately.

“I live at the top, near the roof.” Keys clinked from Dean’s pocket as he withdrew them, opening the gate with practiced ease. Taeyeon jumped excitedly on the spot, bouncing from foot to foot as she waited for him to push open the gate, a broad grin spread across her face.

“So...you own the roof?”

“Not technically.” Dean paused as confusion fluttered across Taeyeon’s features. “Well, you could phrase it that way.” He gave in to her reasoning in the end, shaking his head amusedly as she straightened cheerfully, nodding with grandiose purpose as she stepped on the first flight of stairs.

“Its at the top. You can go there and wait first.” He turned his back, starting in surprise as she disappeared from his view, before nervously pocketing his keys and making his way up the first flight of stairs.

“You have a pretty house!” The squeal from the top floor sent him running up the remaining flights in surprise, blinking as he watched the girl he’d met hours before bouncing on his sofa, the door to his apartment swinging wide open as though he’d never locked it.

“You..I..you..” He blustered, pointing at the door and her frantically.

“Oh. I picked the lock. I couldn’t wait! I saw through the window that you had a swing! And a pole!” Pale legs kicked the ground as Taeyeon sat on the indoor swing, swinging her legs cheerfully. “I bet you must have so much fun at home.” She mused wistfully.

Dean passed a hand through his hair haphazardly, exhaling a shaky breath.

“We do not pick locks here, Taeyeon.” His hand covered his eyes as he tried to come to terms with this blustering ball of oddity that hurtled into his life a few hours ago. “Its...not a right thing to do.”

Pale, bare feet stopped the swing abruptly, and Taeyeon stared intently at Dean’s face, before opening hesitantly.

“Are you..angry with me?” Her voice turned small. “I’m sorry. I was just excited.”

“No, no. Just..don’t pick locks again. I’ll give you my spare key if you are so excited. You just needed to ask me.” A crooked smile graced his lips delicately. “But you can’t keep picking locks at other people’s houses. That what we call breaking and entering. You could get reported and caught by the police for doing that.”

“Oh, I’m way too fast for them to catch me, Dean. So don’t worry. Even if I do get caught, I can take all of them with ease.”

“Right.” Dean closed his door stiffly. “But if you’re gonna stay, you’re going to have to abide by my rules. And that means no lock picking. Understand?” Dean held up a finger to Taeyeon’s face solemnly. “I’ll think of the others as we progress.”

A light pout graced the young vampire’s lips.

“Fine. If you say so, Dean.” A rush of a delicate flowery scent assaulted Dean’s senses as Taeyeon flitted hurriedly from him, promising offhandedly as she skimmed her hands over a piano. She peered at the unfinished scores he’d half written on it, squealing in surprise.

“You’d didn’t tell me you wrote music!” Dean laughed awkwardly at her excitement.

“Well, I thought the headphones would have given me away. But yes, I do write music.”

“Well? Let me hear it! Please?” Taeyeon clapped her hands eagerly, holding out her hands like a child begging for candy as she poked her tongue between her teeth mischievously.

“I haven’t really finished it yet.” Dean sighed. “Maybe later, when I’ve got the tune.”

“Okay.” Dean huffed lightly in surprise as she took him at his word, eagerly flitting towards the rooms curiously. He had been out and about, trying to find inspiration for his latest song, but nothing had appealed to him.

Well, not at least until..

A light but exasperated smile crossed Dean’s lips.

It’d only been a few hours since Taeyeon had barged into his life, and it’d seemed as though she’d never been just a stranger only hours before.

A crash sounding in the master bedroom sent him starting to his feet, yelping as Taeyeon poked her head out of his room sheepishly, a shard of a broken vase clasped in her hand.

~~~

“What’s skateboarding?” The curious question startled Dean out of his musical reverie as he removed his headphones to answer Taeyeon's question.

“Its a sport that we play for fun.”

“Can I play?”

“Well..”Dean deflated as Taeyeon huffed lightly at his hesitant face, a light but saddened pout on her lips. “I could teach you..”

“YAY!” It was as though she’d not been sad just moments before, and Dean deflated as he realised she’d played his feelings for the moment, enticing him into consensually teaching her a sport that he would not have approved.

Dean scratched the back of his head sheepishly.

Well. It wasn’t his fault that he could never reject her.

Fondness lit the lights of his dark eyes as he watched her dancing figure in the sunset, lovely and gay, her oversized denim jacket almost hanging off her slim frame.

He’d give anything, just to wait by her side like this. He decided.

Quietly.

Patiently.

If she wanted him.

“Come on.” Warm fingers tightened around Taeyeon’s wrist gently, tugging her in the direction of the beach. “I wanna show you something.”

~~~

“Sing for me.” She’d been brushing her teeth as Dean leant over the sink, watching her scrub her teeth amusedly.

Taeyeon choked.

“What?” She spluttered through a mouthful of toothpaste suds. “Nope. No freaking way.”

“But why? You’ve heard the song I wrote. I think it’ll sound splendid with your voice in it.” He peered up her cheekily, resting his chin in his palm.

“I can’t sing.” Taeyeon retorted, huffing lightly.

“Liar. I heard you in the bathroom yesterday.”

“You ert!” She squealed, splashing a cup of water at his face. “What were you doing, listening to me while I bathed?”

“I didn’t mean to peek! You were singing loudly! I swear I didn’t even have a look at whatever was going inside the bathroom.” Dean chuckled as she narrowed her eyes suspiciously at him.

“You better not have done any peeking.” She warned, brandishing her toothbrush at his face. “Or else.”

“Sooo…”Dean tilted his head eagerly as she resumed brushing her teeth. “You already heard the song and tune.”He tapped his earphones around his neck. “ Will you sing?”

Taeyeon gargled hesitantly, spitting the water out into the sink, pursing her lips tightly.

“Fine. Give it to me.”

~~~

The sun set beneath the horizon slowly but surely, turning the sky a lovely orange as the two lovers stood quietly on the rooftop, clasping each other’s hands.

“You’re leaving, aren’t you?” The soft tone of Dean’s voice stirred the deepening regrets in Taeyeon's heart.

“You know I can’t stay.” Her voice broke off lightly at the end, grip tightening comfortingly around his. “You know why I can’t stay.”

“You could make me immortal, like you.” He murmured, eyes never leaving the horizon as they swelled slowly with heated tears. “We could be forever. If you wanted to.”

“I can’t possibly do that to you--”Taeyeon’s horrified voice pierced through his thoughts, heavy with burden and flustering panic. “You don’t know what its like being immortal for years, craving blood, and craving humans as food. You don’t know what its like to have innocent lives staining your hands just because you couldn’t control your blood lust! I can’t--I won’t do that to you!”

Dean paused painfully for a moment, watching the night slowly rise before their tearing eyes.

“I know.” His voice cracked painfully for a moment, as he reached over to cup her face lightly, smoothing a thumb over her cheek ever so affectionately. “I know you..”He swallowed lightly. “Will you ever forget me?”

“Never.” Taeyeon grasped his hand lightly in hers, their clasped hand squeezing together for one last time before separating. “And I promise I won’t forget you. One year. Just give me one year and I’ll come back for you. If you still want to be immortal, I’ll--I’ll..” She blundered on feverishly, only stopping as he placed a finger on her lips.

“Dean..” Her eyes welled with tears as he pressed her green daylight ring to his lips, smoothing his thumb over the object tenderly.

“Just remember.” He released her hand lightly, tucking her stray strands of hair away from her face for the last time, a tender smile on his lips. “I’ll be waiting.”

~~~

Decades Later after Taeyeon left:

The dim yellow light of the weakened bulb of light reflected off the weathened but wizardened hands of the bedridden man in bed, illuminating the young lady at his bedside, quietly grasping and tracing over his wiry hands.

“After sixty years, you finally came back.” A spasmic bout of coughing overtook the old man’s frame as the ever young girl smoothened her thumbs delicately over his fingers, feeling his weakening pulse through the soft membrane of his weathered skin.

“Hey Dean.” The light but quiet murmur fell from Taeyeon’s lips, the silence between them fond but sorrowful. “I’m sorry it took so long.”

“Lost your way, didn’t you?” The old man that had once been the handsome male she’d fell in love with coughed lightly, laughter triggering the wheezing cough that ravaged his sickened veins. “You were always the klutz of us two.” He hummed, watching as tears filled her mismatched, blind eyes. “Look at you, still the same as the day I first met you.” A shaky hand rose to touch her delicate face, brushing lightly over her eyes. “You used to have such beautiful brown eyes. Now, they’re--” A hacking cough cut off his sentence abruptly, wracking his frame.

“Mismatched and blind.” Taeyeon finished his sentence weakly, smoothing her hands over his own comfortingly. “You kept my ring.”

“Of course I did.” The old man scoffed lightly. “I couldn’t just forget you, couldn’t I?” A light shameful laugh bubbled from Taeyeon’s lips, choked with tears and sorrow.

“I’m sorry, I know I promised a year.” Taeyeon gulped down air through quickly, dashing away her tears. “I took too long. And now..I can’t see anything thats left of you.”

“No no no. Its good. Its good.” Dean’s hands trembled as he patted hers comfortingly. “Its good that you can’t see me as I am now.” His voice trembled lightly.

“Its..good?”

“I want to remain as the man you remembered in your youthful memories, Tae.” The nickname fell from his lips as though she had never left, sending a souring bout of tears rushing up into Taeyeon’s mismatched eyes.

“You wouldn’t have changed like I did, Dean. You were always the good one. Keeping me safe, making sure I didn’t get into trouble.”

Chuckles bubbled from their lips as fond memories resurfaced.

“I bet you still haven’t corrected that habit of lockpicking, haven’t you?”

“Nope.” A sigh of contentment flooded from Dean’s lips.

“That's my girl.”His weathered hand patted her cheek delicately. “So how have you been?”

“Me?” Taeyeon’s voice choked up slightly. “Good.” Her hands played with his wizened fingers. “There were good times and bad times. Oh. And I had children. Through magical means. Triplets, to be exact.” She whispered slightly, unfolding a crumpled photograph from her pocket.

“Oh my.” The old man traced his fingers over the photo tenderly. “Your daughters look quite like you.”

“They do? I always thought they took after their father.” Taeyeon mused. “Maybe its just me.” She sighed. “I wasn’t really a good mother to them, Dean.” She rested her head lightly on his chest, rifling through her thoughts. “I ran away when they needed me most.”

“But you learned from it, didn’t you?”

“Yes.” Taeyeon confessed, her fingers tightening around the bedspreads. “But it was too late. Just like how I was too late with you.”

“There’s nothing that’s too late. You’re still here for my last moments, aren’t you?” His hands patted her back comfortingly, flicking away a stray strand of her hair delicately from her face.

“Still..”Taeyeon's voice trailed off wistfully. “You were my first love. Thats a honour, you know.” She prodded his chest lightly.

“A first love of a murderous vampire lady. Very honoured.” Dean chuckled, coughing heavily into his pillowcase as his breaths laboured.

A moment of silence fell between the former lovers, quiet but serene.

Dean stirred lightly moments later, eyes heavy with death and sleep.

“Taeyeon?” His voice slurred lightly, reaching to grasp her seeking hands.

“Yes.” The whisper tore agonisingly from Taeyeon’s lips. “I’m here.”

“Stay with me.” He demanded pleadingly.

“Always.”

~~~~

A/N: Aaaaand thats the end of this one shot!

As my character that I'm using Taeyeon as faceclaim progresses, you'll probably get to see more of these one shots in the future! 

As for my readers who are waiting for the update on the King's wife >< I'LL GET TO IT I PROMISE. I have the ending already, I'm just filling in the blanks. I'M SORRY. LIFE TOOK ME AWAY. 

I hope you enjoyed the one shot though! 

And do comment to tell me what you thought of it!