Opposing Sides

Daydream [Oneshot Dump]

A drabble based on the game series Dragon Age (More specifically during the events of Dragon Age: Inquisition)

I hope i didnt remember something incorrectly about the events in the game but eh


 

With silent stops the templar entered the hidden alcove, pushing away the overgrown bushes so he could squeeze through. 

His instincts had been correct.

“I knew I'd find you here,” he spoke loudly. 

A thin, brown haired man stood up in alarm, eyes haunted. “Templar.” His tone was frosty.

“Sungjong,” Myungsoo knew he sounded almost desperate. “No one is listening.” He wanted to tell the man to call him by his name. Nothing pleased him greater than hearing his name spoken by the angelic and soothing voice. 

“No,” Sungjong spoke. His green robes were dirt ridden and Myungsoo could make out a sword cut on the side having ripped into the robe by the hip, but the skin looked unharmed. He breathed out. “You should leave.” Sungjong held his staff in his hand, pointing it towards Myungsoo threateningly. 

It didn't work. 

Instead Myungsoo placed his blade down.

“Pick it up!” Sungjong urged, voice gripping onto despair. “Fight me! There is a war and we're on opposing sides! You have to fight me!” With each word he sounded more and more drained. 

“We've always been on opposing sides,” Myungsoo countered in a gentle voice. “But,” he knelt down. “If you wish to strike me down, then I'll happily die by your hand.” He looked straight into the shocked eyes of his lover, seeing how the hand gripping the staff was shaking out of the corner of his eye. 

The sound of wood hitting rock followed and soon after Sungjong was on his knees too, his hands cupping Myungsoo's face. “You stupid man,” he was crying, tears streaming down his pale cheeks. “You were meant to kill me.”

“I could never,” Myungsoo murmured. So this was why Sungjong had gone to their special place, a place they've only been to once, but which held a dear memory for both.

“So now we'll both die,” Sungjong laughed through his tears. “Maker's breath, we're both fools.”

“Hasn't stopped us before.” Myungsoo grabbed one of the slender hands and placed a kiss onto the knuckles. “If we had been caught even before this war, they'd have our heads.”

“True, but it still felt safer than the current situation. Mages versus templars,” Sungjong sighed. “Inevitable, wasn't it?” 

“Yeah.”

“I don't want this, Myungsoo,” Sungjong leaned closer, pressing his forehead against Myungsoo's. “I know I complained a lot about being confined in the Circle Tower, but this is not what I want either. This-” He paused, searching for the correct word. “Massacre. We deserve freedom, but this is just anarchy.”

Myungsoo silently agreed; for a templar he had always disagreed with the way mages were treated as dangerous animals, but with the amount of horrifying acts he had seen from mages the past days he understood the needs for rules, regulations, and for templars to enforce. Yet, the horrifying acts hadn't purely been executed by mages, the templars were as much as to blame. Myungsoo wanted nothing to do with them. 

“So what do we do? Live here hoping no one will find us?” Sungjong's breath was warm and even. 

“There's a rumour,” Myungsoo wrapped his arms around the lithe mage, pulling him into a hug. “About a Herald of Andraste, who will accept anyone to her cause.”

“And what is the cause?”

“Closing the rift in the sky.”

Myungsoo almost felt like crying; for the past week he had been worrying. After the Circle Tower collapsed he had been unable to find his lover, had feared for the worst. It was good he decided to follow his gut and went to their special place. It felt like decades ago, when Myungsoo had been Sungjong's out of the Tower, on official business. They had had one day to spare, which was spent in this hidden away place. 

And here Sungjong had been, waiting. Just having him back in his arms was all Myungsoo could ever ask for. Now, they just needed to survive.

“Closing the breach, huh?” Sungjong pondered. “I guess a healer will be a good asset for such a cause. Do you know where to go?”

Myungsoo nodded. “We'll set out tomorrow, at dawn.”

Sungjong leaned backwards, a small grin on his slightly gaunt face. “I guess it means we'll have time to relive our previous visit here?”

“Yeah, definitely,” Myungsoo breathed out, closing the distance and kissing the sweet lips. 

All worries for the future, and the trials which would be sure to follow, were forgotten as the two lovers reunited, body and soul.