The new neighbor

1001 Days of Us

CLOSING his eyes, Yixing waited for the little prowler to appear. Two weeks had passed since the new neighbors had moved next-door and Yixing still hadn’t met them, not formally at least, he had seen them passing by. Although his mom had actually made some dumplings for them as a welcome gift and she had asked Yixing to go meet them with her. But Yixing had found it more interesting to go light up fireworks with Chanyeol and the others. Damn it, if only he had gone.

He remembered seeing the new neighbors’ younger son one morning while taking out the trash. And boy, Yixing lost his breath for the brief second they made eye contact. Gorgeous was not enough word to qualify him. Every normal person would have said something along the lines “Hey, welcome to the neighborhood,” and Yixing would have done if he hadn’t been too struck and the boy hadn’t gotten into his car and left. Now Yixing was too embarrassed to ask his mom what the boy’s name was. He just knew she would say “Interested now, huh? I told you to come meet them with me.”

Yixing would have left his curiosity at that, heck he didn’t even know if the neighbor was gay. But every sunny day of the past week that Yixing had put on his swim trunks and laid on the sun chairs in the backyard, the boy next door conveniently mowed their lawn despite the sweltering hotness. Well, Yixing couldn’t complain, that meant the t-shirt the boy was wearing would end up soaked in sweat and tight around his body, and that was a treat his eyes couldn’t miss. Never had Yixing been more thankful that their houses were connected through a mere bush fence. Last year, Mrs. Nam had yelled “Zhang Yixing cover yourself up!” every time Yixing had tried to get a nice tan, and he had endlessly nagged to his parents that for heaven sake’s they finally built a proper brick fence, so the old lady next door wouldn’t be so scandalized every time. He thanked his parents hadn’t listened to his nagging.

As expected, the lawnmower’s horrid sound soon began. Yixing smiled and wondered what that lawn looked like. Wasn’t it only yesterday the boy had last trimmed the grass? Or watered it? When the motor sounds got close to him, he knew the boy was near the bush fence. The feeling of someone looking at him made his skin bristle. Yixing finally decided to put an end to the curiosity. He lowered his sunglasses and turn his head to the right. Their gazes met.

“Like what you see?” Yixing teased, making the boy’s cheeks turn even redder. But before the boy could escape, Yixing jumped from the sun chair to stand behind the bush fence. “Hey, I’m just kidding.”

The boy turned around. As expected, that shirt was stuck to him in all the right places. Image those strong biceps holding him! Trapped in his own thoughts, Yixing almost missed how the boy’s eyes wandered around Yixing’s own chest.

Smiling sideways, knowing full well his killer dimples appeared, he said, “I’m Yixing.”

The boy swallowed. “Jun-Junmyeon.”

Perhaps this summer wouldn’t be all that boring.

 

Idk why I write stuff when I'm ought to be studying 🤠 

Also, I'm just testing the waters here, so this "story" is back to being public. The other ones are still in draft for editing (which will probably take place in the summer), then I'll see if I keep them private or make them public again.

Anyway, guys, uni is exhausting. I can't wait for summer.