The meadow

1001 Days of Us

Bunny Xing hurried to get to the meadow where the grass was the greenest, the leaves tasted the best, the sun stood up high in the sky and warmed his fur, and he would meet him there. His floppy ears swung back and forth while his little paws touched the ground for a second before he jumped again. Why had he taken a “quick” nap? If Bunny Xing hadn’t fallen asleep, he would have been there on time. He wondered if Bunny Myeon was still there.

Luckily for Bunny Xing, the moment the meadow got into his vision, he saw Bunny Myeon standing there. Bunny Myeon’s ears stood up straight in the air twitching, probably trying to see if danger approached. However, when Bunny Myeon noticed Bunny Xing, he began jumping to meet Bunny Xing halfway. Not only was it easy to distinguish Bunny Xing because he was lop-eared unlike Bunn Myeon, but his ears were also grey colored, other than that his fur was white like the snow, just like Bunny Myeon’s.

“Myeon, you waited for me,” Bunny Xing said, hopping forward to sniff Bunny Myeon’s ears and head. Bunny Xing loved his scent. “I’m sorry, I fell asleep.”

“It’s okay. And of course, I did, Xing.” Then, it was Bunny Myeon’s turn. He also lightly nibbled on Bunny Xing’s droopy ear. “I wanted to see you.”

Bunny Xing closed his eyes and sniffed Bunny Myeon’s fur once again. “Me too.”

Given that the lop-eared bunnies and straight up ears bunnies had conflicts and did not get along, it was forbidden for them to meet, let alone be friends. That had been the rule for years and years. Yet one day Bunny Xing had found a cozy, big cotton ball on that meadow to lay on, but it turned out to be Bunny Myeon, all curled up sleeping on the grass near to a tree. Since then, they became friends, and eventually even fell in love. But because they were two little bunnies that couldn’t leave their pack and survive on their own in the wild, they could only secretly meet on the meadow, the one that lay far away from each other’s territories and nobody would know.

After greeting each other in their customary way, Bunny Xing and Bunny Myeon began hopping around the meadow. They chewed on leaves and grass, eating their meal for the day. Sometimes they shared the same leaf until their small snouts would hit each other. They also sniffled flowers here and there or helped to scratch each other’s ears. Later, when their tummies got full, and they felt sleepy, Bunny Xing and Bunny Myeon always took naps against the tree in which they had met. Bunny Xing and Bunny Myeon cuddled against each other’s soft fur and went off to dreamland.

When the sun would settle soon, and the wind got a bit colder, the bunnies woke up. That was their cue to leave and avoid predators that could approach, or it got too dark. Before saying goodbye, Bunny Xing and Bunny Myeon said goodbye in the same way they greeted each other: sniffling each other’s fur and nibbling their ears.

“I’ll be early tomorrow, Myeon. Promise,” Bunny Xing said, “Love you.”

“Love you too, Xing,” Bunny Myeon replied.

And so, Bunny Xing and Bunny Myeon jumped towards their respective burrows, feeling a little saddened that they had to leave each other. But maybe one day they would be able live together. For now, though, they saw each other each day on the meadow.

 

 

 

The other day I saw two bunnies hopping on the park and it was so cute ToT somehow it reminded me of these two ;w; so, I just wrote this drabble quickly on my way to uni haha