Video calls

1001 Days of Us

When the seat belt lights turn off, the ruckus began. People jumped up from their seats rushing to get their belongings from the overhead passenger compartments. After ten hours of flying, everyone was eager to leave the plane, to breathe in fresh air, maybe take a shower, change into comfortable clothes and nap for hours until the jetlag passed.

Yixing was quite used to that feeling. Having the experience of one time literally taking one plane a day had made him familiarized with the routines of traveling. At least it was first class, and he could enjoy some private time for himself during these journeys.

As he waited for the immigration line to move forward, his mind thought of his latest English verb assignments. Until his phone vibrated and once he glanced it, he saw a notification popped up on the screen. Chanyeol had posted something on Instagram. And the second he scrolled down to see what it was a broad beam spread across his face. ‘This is a good song,’ he read on the caption while his fingers tapped the screen until that red heart appeared. Yixing couldn’t agree more, or actually, he could. The song was more than good, it was exceptional. Junmyeon’s singing voice had a timbre incomparable to anyone else’s. It often helped him fall asleep when he laid on yet another hotel bed, he would find peace in hearing Junmyeon say Can you stay with me like that? Singing under the Curtain. Now he had two more songs to add.

A couple hours later, he found himself watching the view of a dimly and somewhat cold Kiev. Again, he held his phone, his fingers touching the screen on the contact name while his laptop had just finished playing Junmyeon’s song in the background. With the time difference, it must be close to midnight over there. Was he asleep? Was he awake talking with the guys in the dorm? Or was he working? He decided to risk it and press the screen. One beep. Two beeps. Three beeps, and-

“Yixing!” Junmyeon’s face appeared on the screen. “What a nice surprise.” He smiled widely, the light shone on his cheeks, giving it a warm and beautiful appearance.  

Yixing returned the gesture, fixing his hair a little, the way Junmyeon had once said looked good on him.

“Hi, Junmyeon!”

“Is something the matter? Did you arrive without problems?”

Of course, Junmyeon would have thought it was a little odd that Yixing video called him, especially at this hour. Usually, it was when the other seven were around that they had these types of call. Other than that, he and Junmyeon texted each other for the most part. But Yixing had to.

Yixing shook his head. “No, no, everything’s fine. I just wanted to tell you something.” And see you. “Can you talk?”

“Yeah!” Junmyeon said, “I don’t have much time though. I’m on the filming set, waiting to film one more scene for the day.”

“Always working hard, huh?”

“Just like you, Xing.”

Yixing smiled. They all were the same.

“What did you wanted to tell me?”

“I watched your station.”

“Oh, you did?”

“Yes, you looked handsome, Junmyeon. The way the camera zoomed into your face that moment, ah, I lost my breath.”

Yixing saw how Junmyeon’s eyes turned into crescent while his cheeks shone even more as he laughed. It was clear to notice when Junmyeon got flustered. And seeing it always made Yixing’s smile, sometimes his stomach flipped.

“You sang beautifully too. Your voice is always so… Good. And the parts you wrote were perfect. You did very well, Junmyeon. I liked it.”

Junmyeon shook his head. “But it wasn’t just me, Jane did well too.”

As per usual, there it was, that characteristic way, or rather humbleness of Junmyeon that came with every praise and compliment. Because to Junmyeon, it was never about him alone, but others should be in the spotlight along with him. And although humbleness was something Yixing truly valued, sometimes, just one time he wished to see Junmyeon accept that he could be the best, was one of the best. To Yixing, he already was.

“Oh, they're calling me to go back, Yixing. Did you have anything else to say?”

I miss you.

The words that were never articulated from his lips. Instead, Yixing settled for a shook of his head and another smile. “Take care, Junmyeon! Good luck filming.”

Junmyeon smiled back for the last time. “You too, Yixing. And don’t forget to eat well! Bye!” He said before hanging up the video call.

When the screen returned to Yixing’s the usual wallpaper, Yixing put it away. He looked out his window one more time. But it was Junmyeon’s smile that his eyes saw.

 

 

Author's Note

Just another drabble I wrote that day Yixing gave like to Chanyeo'ls IG post about Junmyeon's song Dinner. I at writing non-aus (which is why I mostly write aus), but there's always a first time~ Then again, this is could be considered an AU too, I guess? Idk lol