Intruder

Your's Forever

Chapter 6: Intruder

A few days later Naina sat in solitude in the balcony that opens towards the garden sipping on a cup of coffee. Sia and Mrs Kim were out for the day to visit a relative out of Seoul. It was business as usual for Mr Kim and HJ. HJ has been particularly busy for the last two days with rehearsals for his upcoming concert. Naina was feeling bit under the weather and hence conveniently bailed herself out from any outings.

A lot has happened in the last few days. Sia and Naina are back being best friends with Naina showing her benevolent side to reconcile. The girls have started their friendship on a fresh note of no secrets. Ever since the party night, Naina has successfully avoided Hyun Joong. His absence from the house has helped to achieve this. He has been pulling late nights for rehearsals and is away most of the time.

He would have nit-picked on my flaws and laughed and made a big fuss of it. All he does is argue every time he opens his mouth. Naina grimaced at the thought of the party night and how HJ mocked her on drinking alcohol.

She shook her head in an act of brushing away her thoughts. Phew!! Good he is busy. I feel peace without him around. She smiled, took a deep breadth to take in the aroma of the coffee “Bliss”, leaned back in the chair and buried her attention into the book. She was engrossed in the book when suddenly she felt little uneasy; a creepy sensation began to spread through her neck - a feeling of being watched – a deep gaze. She could not reason the feeling. She looks up from the book, checks around to find nothing. She has been sensing this since the party night as if she is being shadowed, be it inside or even out in the open, all the time. She shrugged off her thoughts in irritation and returned to the book. But the feeling kept bothering her. That’s when she heard a quick footstep behind her. She hurriedly looked back. There was no one. Fear shot through her heart. She gulped hard, gathered her courage and rose from the chair.

Could it be the servants? It is eerily quiet. “Wh,,who’s there?” she stuttered with a hint of terror. No response. Her body began to stiffen.

She placed the cup and the book on the table and came out of the balcony into the corridor. She looked around and walked till the end of the corridor while clenching tightly on the sides of her dress. No trace of anyone. She came back to the balcony lost in her thoughts. I might have hallucinated. She was about to settle back in the chair when she noticed a brown envelope next to her coffee cup and book, which was not there when she left. Terror seeped in through her veins. She picked up the envelop with trembling hands and what came out of the envelope sent a chill down her spine. It was her photos, not one, not two, but many. Photos taken without her knowledge inside the house and also outside. She has been followed and stalked all this while. Sweat beads formed on her forehead. It took her few moments to realise the delivery of the envelope.

Someone is in the house now. O Lord! help!

She shrieked in fear, dropped the photos and envelope and broke into a run towards the corridor, down the stairs towards the main door. As she approached the door, a hand turned her around. Her heart stopped. She shut her eyes realising her end is near.

“Leave me, please leave me, help me someone” Naina started throwing a fit with her eyes closed in sheer terror.

“Naina, Naina look at me, its me, Kim Bum. What’s wrong?” Kim Bum tried to pacify the horror struck girl.

Naina was so caught up in the moment that she could not hear Kim Bum. Her defences were high and demanded quick escape from the hold. She dug her nails deep into Kim Bum’s arm trying to escape. He winced in pain and gave a strong jerk “Naina STOP.”

That’s when the voice broke through her consciousness. She opened her eyes to find a familiar face. “Kim Bum,,,” saying that she passed out in his arms.

 

*******

Naina slowly opened her eyes to find Sia standing over her pressing a cool cloth against her forehead. Guem hee was sitting in the corner, noticed her waking up and rushed forward “Are you okay darling? Are you hurt anywhere? You got us worried”. She cupped Naina’s cheek with both hands. Naina could not move as she saw the concern in her eyes. Guem hee was far from rational thinking. Naina just nodded in assurance and sat up slowly. In last few days Naina has become very close to Guem hee like her own mother.

“What happened babes? We rushed home on Kim bum’s call” Sia asked.

Naina gave a shaky smile to her. “I am fine now. I was sitting in the balcony when suddenly,,” She paused and looked at everyone. She cannot reveal. Not now. She is not ready yet. Everyone in the house is happy with Sia’s wedding preparation. She cannot ruin it. She will have to tackle it by herself.

“Suddenly what?” Guem hee questioned.

“Sudd,,suddenly I, I was scared” Naina stuttered trying to come up with an excuse.

“Scared of what?” Kim Bum stood up from the chair and approached her.

“Sorry, I can’t remember what happened”. Naina pressed her palms tight on the mattress to hide the nervousness rising out of the outright lie.

“But Naina,,” Kim Bum was cut short as Mrs Kim’s hand travelled to his arm. “I think she needs to rest a bit longer. We can talk about it later.”

“Sure” Kim Bum bowed his head. His eyes wandered on Naina’s face, trying to read her restless expressions.

“Darling it will be good idea to get you checked by the family doctor. I will have her visit you this afternoon,” Mrs Kim said caressing Naina’s face. She neatly tucked her hair behind her ears, “Look at you, you have turned so pale.” She rubbed her hand comfortingly and pressed a kiss on her forehead.

Naina shifted on the bed feeling uneasy from all the concern Mrs Kim was showering on her and secretly felt guilty for having to blatantly lie to her. She gulped and flashed a nervous grin. “I am feeling alright now Mrs Kim”. Her eyes travelled to Sia and Kim Bum who were looking back at her with suspicious eyes, and faked a smile, “I will be more careful from next time, sorry for bothering you all”

“Rest up, we will see you later”.

Naina sighed as the three figures retreated leaving her pondering over the incident that caused her and everyone so much trouble. Who could it be? And why me? Her hands travelled to her chest trying to calm the rising fear. She bit her lower lips as her thoughts started to process the gravity of the situation. Its fine, nothing to get scared of,,I need to get to the bottom of this.

 

**********

Hyun Joong made some time out of his schedule to come home. Sia and Kim Bum informed him over the phone.

He knocked on Naina’s door and entered pushing the door open to find Naina trying to zip up her dress.

“What the?” Naina cursed shocked at his sudden appearance. She quickly turned her to the wall and yelled “Mr Kim can’t you knock? Have you washed away your manners?”

“Well, I knocked but you didn’t answer” HJ said wandering his eyes across the room before bringing back to her and smirked at her attempt to hide her ped back “don’t bother, I have seen better.”

Naina sealed her lips together in rage and replied sarcastically, “Are you always this jerk?”

“Watch your mouth Naina.” HJ immediately snapped in a higher tone

“It’s Ms Dewan for you” Naina fumed back in a cocky tone.

“Whatever,,,” He looked away from her in a lazy arrogance and continued “ Kim Bum said you fainted, but you look alright, so I will leave. I wasted 2 hours of my time to come and see you.”

“Oh I am honoured by your gracious presence” she rolled her eyes, “but sorry you were not needed here, did I ask you to come huh?” Naina scoffed looking closely at HJ, taking pleasure from how each of her words was affecting him the way she wanted.

HJ felt his body burning up with her mocking tone. Never ever any girl would have the guts to speak back to him. But she was testing his patience in every way possible. He walked towards her in slow measured steps and stopped right before her. Naina unknowingly took a step back staring at his approaching figure and gulped as she felt his intimidating eyes on her.

HJ looked into her eyes leaning forward, “I am telling you this probably for the last time,,,,,Fix your habit of talking back or else,,,” paused before closing in to her ears and whispering “I will.”

“Wh,,what do you mean?” She froze at her spot trying to understand what he implied by that. “Are you threatening me?” She stuttered again.

HJ moved back creating the space between them “Umm I would say, a piece of advice that might turn into a threat if not obliged,,” A dirk smirk forming in his lips. Saying that he turned and left the room closing the door behind him.

Naina watched the retreating figure. She sighed in relief as he disappeared behind the door. She shifted her gaze to her reflection in the mirror bringing back memories from the morning incident. Whoever you are, I will find you.

********

Continued to Chapter 6

I am really sorry to have disappeared for so long. I am back and will update chapters weekly. Please stay on this journey with me.

 

Thank you to all readers

Please let me know through comments how you felt about the chapter.

Please feel free to upvote and subscribe.