Start of Something New

Your's Forever

Characters in this chapter:

Lee Min Ho as himself

 

Chapter 5: Start of something new

 

The buzzing sound of the phone jolted Naina and Hyun Joong out of the trance. As the closeness dawned upon them, they immediately repelled apart. HJ let go his hold on her arms and turned back to pick the ringing phone from the table. Naina realised it was the right time to leave and ran out of the room promptly.

Yeoboseo Hyun Joong answered the call and turned to find Naina has already left.

“Yay punk, what took you so long to pick the call?” Kim Bum shouted from the other end.

Hyun Joong’s attention slipped out of the phone and fell on a pendant lying on the ground. He picked it up and looked closely. It was a small love heart pendant with the letters ND engraved on it. The stupid girl must have dropped this tacky thing here. The intimate moment with Naina replayed through his mind again. HJ cursed under his breadth for having to remember it.

Aish!! What’s wrong with me?

“Yay Hyun joong-ya, you there?” called Kim Bum loudly.

Hyun Joong straightened up with the ear-splitting cry from the phone.

“Yay bugger why are you shouting?” HJ resumed the call.

“You were not talking. I thought you disconnected the call”

“Ok ok let it be. Tell me what’s up?”

The friends discussed some last minute changes to the guest list for the party tonight.

********

Naina reached her room and closed the door behind her. She held her chest tightly to calm down her racing heart.

What’s wrong with me? It’s so hot here.

That’s when she realised her precious pendant is gone.

I must have dropped it in his room. Oh gosh! I have to go to his room to get it now.

She contemplated at lengths and finally made her up mind to fetch it. After all, it was a gift from David. How could she loose it?

She came out of her room and was about to knock on his door when she saw her pendant hanging from the doorknob with a note stuck to it. It said – I don’t like tacky things lying around in my room.

Naina’s jaw dropped with humiliation. “Jerk”. She took the pendant and went back to her room. She has to get dressed for the party.

 

********

The party started as guest started pouring in. It was a star-studded affair with all the eminent personalities from the entertainment industry gathered under one roof at the Kim residence. It was lavish in every sense and looked nothing less than a carnival. The media has assembled outside the gate with few of the journalists from the top channels as an invitee to the party. Hyun Joong and Kim Bum were busy welcoming the guest at the entrance and everyone was waiting for the showstopper couple Sia and her fiancé Goong Min to arrive.

Naina left her room while putting on her earrings. She met Sia and Hye Sun at the foyer. Naina saw Sia’s makeup has been redone.

“You both are looking very pretty,” Naina said smiling.

“Someone is looking ravishing,” teased Sia checking out Naina top to bottom.

In so many days for the first time Naina and Sia are talking casually. Sia is happy with this change.

Hye Sun and Naina’s first meeting has not been remarkable. Sia thought that they would click as both of them are very close to her heart. However it did not go as planned.

“Where did you buy this dress from?” asked Hye Sun gruffly to Naina.

“Actually it is a gift from Eomoni, I mean Mrs Kim,” Naina answered.

Hye Sun frowned at the Eomoni addressal making her annoyance obvious and said “thought as much” with lazy arrogance.

Naina was taken aback with her sharp remarks. She was wise enough to understand that Hye Sun was not particularly fond of her.

Sia felt the tension building between them and prompted the ladies to go downstairs for the party. “Lassies we are getting late for the party. Can’t let all these dress up go in vain. Let’s move.”

With that she dragged Hye Sun along. Naina quietly followed them down the stairs.

“Just a minute.” So Eun halted mid stair as if remembering something and looked back at Naina.

“Babes you will be fired with flashlights as soon as we reach the hall. Just smile and walk briskly. Don’t panic. Ok?”

Naina nodded in assurance. She recalled the incident at the airport. She is better prepared this time

As the three ladies walked down the stairs, they grabbed the attention of the crowd. Flashlights and sound of clicks stormed the air.

Hyun Joong looked up instinctively to find Sia and Hye Sun walking down. Both of them looked extremely gorgeous. Hye Sun’s eye caught his and she flashed a big smile. HJ gestured “wow” which made her blush a deep red. The media was smart enough to capture this exchange of appreciation. HJ looked at his sister with warmth and was amazed to see how truly pretty she has grown up to. But as the third figure appeared in his line of sight, he became still, rooted, absolutely entranced. Naina draped a mauve gown adorning her lean yet curvy frame. She had little make up on and her hair was let loose. HJ stared at her in awe like a parched soul mesmerised by a droplet of water. He tried hard to break his glance but realised his eyes were no longer under his control. His brain was telling him to look away but his heart seemed to be under a spell.

This is the first time Naina is walking into a grand celebrity party. She could sense the judgmental gawk on her from the guests as she walked down the stairs behind her friend. Her crimson face was starting to show signs of discomfort overwhelmed by the unwanted attention. She made a valiant attempt to look up, and their eyes met for a fraction, that’s when reality seemed to enter his consciousness and HJ realised his shameless stare and swiftly looked away.

Another pair of eyes sparkled in the crowd seeing Naina, but this stare was lustful and lecherous as if it found its long awaiting prey. This vicious gaze went unnoticed in the crowd.

Much like everyone else, the shutterbugs and reporters were curious to know the identity of this female who was turning heads. They did not waste a moment and rushed in closer, jostling for space, firing off flashes and commanding her to smile at the lens. Naina squinted her eyes unable to bear too many flashes.

“How are you doing Miss?” “Are you a friend of So Eun?” The paparazzi threw her off with questions.

“She is family,” said So Eun holding her into a side hug. “And now if you guys could excuse us, interviews after the party please” Hye Sun commanded. The reporters made way for the ladies.

Hye Sun, So Eun and Naina walked through the pool of guests, greeting everyone. Sia was religiously introducing everyone to Naina. The guests congratulated Sia on her engagement and her upcoming wedding. Naina’s eyes wandered across the hall admiring the splendid of the party. Famous faces from the Kpop world, significant figures from the television industry and important personalities from Taesang group walked around her. She has never been in this kind of environment before. She feels important yet miniature compared to the stature.

She came out of her profusion of thoughts as her eyes fell on a dashing handsome young man, attired in a black shirt and trousers walking towards them. He walked with an aura of sophistication and reflected charisma in every sense. This must be Goong Min Oppa thought Naina.

He was closely followed by Hyun Joong, who was looking irresistibly suave in a dark blue tee shirt underneath a steel grey blazer.

“How is my doll face doing?” asked Goong Min politely planting a soft peck on Sia’s forehead.

Sia blushed a deep red and shyly answered “I am good Oppa. How are you?”

“I am good, now that I have seen your pretty face”. Saying that Goong Min embraced her in a delicate hug. Sia embraced him back.

Naina could see why Sia has fallen for Goong Min. This man has obvious charms.

As the couple engrossed into each other, the MC announced, “Ladies and Gentlemen, the couple of the night Goong Min and So Eun is now with us. Please welcome them with a loud applause”. The guests acknowledged with a wave of cheer. The couple bowed in gratitude. Everyone raised a toast to bless them with prosperity and happiness.

Sia held her arm out pointing towards Naina and said cheekily, “Oppa, this is my best friend from Melbourne, Naina”.

Goong Min held Naina’s hand and kissed it. “Naina it’s a pleasure meeting you. I hope our So Eun did not trouble you much.”

Naina smiled warmly and replied, “Thank you, the pleasure is mine.”

Such a gentleman! He will take good care of Sia.

Goong Min is considered as one of the most influential actors and has earned a lot of respect in the world of cinema with his methodical acting. He is senior to Hyun Joong and Kim Bum in the field; hence they address him as Sunbae. Sia idolised him during her high school days and fell in love with him watching his movies. However unlike any other fan girl, Sia was the heiress to Taesang group and she took full advantage of her position to convince her father to send a marriage proposal to Goong Min’s family. The alliance was fixed and they started dating ever since then. This was 4 years back. 2 years ago when Sia came for a short visit to Korea, they got engaged. Goong Min’s family is heavily involved in politics and therefore this marriage had a higher purpose than just union of two lovers. It was a big political and industry alliance, which hiked the share prices of Taesang group ever since the marriage was announced.

The couple excused themselves to meet and greet the rest of the guest. Hae Sun was busy mingling with her co actors.

Naina and Hyun Joong were left stealing glances at each other awkwardly. They did not notice when Kim Bum came and now he was silently observing them, a little confused.

“Did you find your tacky pendant at my door?” Hyun Joong asked with a snobbish grin.

Tacky huh? If only one could show him his place. None the less, I will.

“Yes I did find my precious pendant casually left at the door knob by some MORON”, Naina replied with a sarcastic smirk particularly stressing on the word Moron.

Kim Bum struggled to conceal a smile at the increasingly heated exchanges.

Hyun Joong stiffened his hold on the glass clearly upset with the remark Moron. He wanted to chastise Naina then and there for her highly inappropriate choice of words. But with superhuman effort, he controlled himself.

She needs to be taught manners.

“Chucking away useless stuffs is an act of cleanliness, not stupidity. Someone who is clumsy wont get it” was Hyun Joong’s come back at Naina.

Naina was already ripping him apart with her eyes. Had it been somewhere else, she would have given this rude jerk a piece of her mind. But as of now she adopted nonchalant.

“Things that are rubbish to you might be very valuable to someone else. Someone who is always full of themselves won’t understand this.”

Kim Bum burst into a fit of laughter. “You guys are so funny. Dropping atom bomb with your words huh?” He said in between his giggles. Hyun Joong gave a stern look at him but obviously he did not cared.

Naina was embarrassed with his sudden intrusion but before she could explain herself, Kim Bum approached her. “Sorry to interrupt Miss, but I could not help myself. By the way I am Kim Sam Bum, but everyone calls me Kim Bum. I am HJ’s best friend and you must be Naina”.

Naina shook his hand and replied politely “ Nice to meet you Kim Bum, you are right, I am Sia’s friend Naina.”

Naina wanted to escape and gently said “ I will excuse myself now. See you around.”

He is such a cute guy. Sia will have her own reason to reject him and choose Goong Min Oppa. Naina thought to herself.

As she left Kim Bum smacked Hyun Joong on his back, “Bro, you have got a challenger now. I have never seen such a pretty girl standing up to you. Girls usually throw themselves at you. She is different. I like her.”

“Yay, what’s so funny about this? I hate her, clumsy and mannerless! You like her because you are the same. Clumsy bugger, get off me.” HJ shrugged his hand off and walked away.

Kim Bum observed him walking away, “ Your eyes says otherwise Joong ya. You can’t trick me.”

 

********

Sia was meeting her girl band members after a long time.

“So Eun, help me win your brother’s heart. He is so good looking,” said one of the girls.

“Stop hitting on Hyun Joong Oppa. If Hye Sun heard you saying that, she would be eaten you alive” Sia laughed playfully.

“But jokes apart, you are very lucky So Eun. You have got a brother like Hyun Joong who values you more than his life and now an indulgent husband like Goong Min oppa who treats you as a princess,” said one of the girls.

“Indeed I am lucky to have Gond Min,,” Sia was cut short as she saw Kim Bum approaching her.

Their memories together zapped through her mind. Ever since she has declined his proposal, they have not been in talking terms. Not that she rebukes her own decision. But she misses him everyday. There has not been a single day in the last 4 years that Sia didn’t recall Kim Bum. That day she lost a friend, a very dear friend with whom she found peace.

“How are you So Eun ya?” asked Kim Bum calmly. His eyes wandered across her face taking a closer look at what he missed deeply for so many years.

“I am good Kim bum. How have you been?” Sia answered smiling politely.

“Chughae, many many congratulations So Eun,” Sia sensed the hidden dampness in his eyes.

Both of them were oblivious to the whispers and stares that arose in the onlookers. Many people knew their history and just needed an opportunity to gossip about it.

“I heard So Eun dumped Kim Bum for Goong Min” was one such whisper that floated around and hit Naina. She saw them standing at a distance.

People need something to . I hope Sia and Kim Bum speak their heart out and become friends again, thought Naina.

“Sorry to bother you guys, but I have to buy So Eun for a moment. Is that ok?” Goong min interrupted the duo in an utmost courteous manner.

“Sure Sunbae, So Eun is all yours,” said Kim Bum trying hard to hide the pain in his eyes with a broad grin.

He saw the couple retreat and signalled the waiter to fetch the drinks. He skulled two shots back to back, took the third glass and landed in a couch at a lonely corner in the lawn. Naina followed him with a glass of chardonnay.

“What a cute guy like you doing alone in such a happening party?” Naina’s attempt to cheer him up.

“You tell me. Why a pretty girl like you hanging out with a lonely guy like me?” Kim Bum said mockingly.

“Common, you are not lonely. I heard girls could die to get a glimpse of you”. Naina playfully slapped his shoulder.

“It looks fancy from outside Naina. This world of entertainment is just a façade. It all comes down to the same feeling at the end. I am a normal person in real life. Those girls craving to have me are just in love with my characters, not me, not Kim Bum”. His voice serious this time.

“Who said that? That might be in love with your character. But if they know you as a person, I am sure they will fall more.” Naina reassured.

“That’s not true”

“Kim Bum isi, I know why you feel that way. I know everything between you and Sia” Naina gently places her hand on his shoulder. She continued, “Do not let one failed relationship decide your whole life. Please think this through. It will hurt now. But time is the best healer. Years from now what will remain are only the bittersweet memories you guys had. More sweet than bitter.”

Kim Bum smiled faintly and took a sip from the glass.

“And who said you cannot have another soul mate. I am sure you,,,” She was cut short.

“What was that? Come again? Another soul mate?” Kim Bum snapped out of his blues befuddled.

Naina was baffled with his reaction. She paused for few moments and spoke up.

“What is so surprising about that? I have a boyfriend David back in Melbourne. I feel we are soul mates. I love him very dearly and so does he. But if in the future for some reason we can’t be together, that’s not the end of world for me. Life has to go on. I will find another soul mate again.” Naina tried hard to justify and explain.

Kim Bum looked at her in disbelief. He drew closer and looked straight into her eyes, “Naina we come across many people in our lifetime. Some are friends, some are lovers and some might be partners. But there will be only one soulmate. The day you find him, you will not be able to think a life without him, let alone finding someone else.”

“But, I don’t believe in this” Naina said waiving her hands.

Kim Bum slightly tapped her chin, “Silly girl! which means you are yet to fall in love.”

*******

Hyun Joong and Hye Sun were discussing about his recent KBS project when suddenly the reporters gathered around the entrance.

“It seems somebody important has arrived,” said Hye Sun.

“Well everyone I have invited are pretty much here. Who could it be?” said Hyun Joong curiously.

It was just a matter of second when the person in question entered the hall. He was tall, taller than Hyun Joong. His lean muscular physique was perfectly covered in a jet-black suit. His strikingly handsome features made the women around go weak on their knees. He walked with calm measured steps indicating his polished and intellectual nature. He cut through the guests and came to a standstill in front of Hyun Joong and Hye Sun.

“Long time Hyun Joong! How have you been?” he asked with a courteous smile on his face.

Hyun Joong’s face turned hard. He clenched his fist to supress the quick anger.

“What is your business here Min hoa? I didn’t invite you.” Hyun Joong gritted in between his teeth.

“I do not need your invitation to be here. Being the commercial ambassador to Taesang telecom, I had to honour your father’s invitation,” answered Lee Min Ho in a logical arrogance.

Hyun Joong maintained a straight face trying to rein his temper. After few moments, he smiled slightly “Really? I wonder my dad has a lot of spare time to invite useless people”

Min Ho shook his head and sighed “ Hyun Joong ya repect your Dad at the least, if not any one else.” Then, he turned his attention towards Hye Sun. His eyes turned soft. “How are you Hye Sun issi? I did not see you at the shoot yesterday. Are you alright?” He stretched his hand out for a courteous handshake towards Hye Sun.

Hyun Joong stretched out his arm to block his advance towards Hye Sun and then pulled her closer by her shoulder, “Don’t you dare come near her? You are my father’s guest tonight. Enjoy the party and leave. Do not corrupt the environment with your filthy tactics.”

Hyun Joong glared at Min Ho with a wrathful fury. Min Ho glared back, unresentful.

“You haven’t changed Joong ya. Unlike you, I have let bygones be bygones. You don’t need to protect her from me. If she needs to stay away from someone, that should be you. Your self inflicting attitude and clinging on to your past is taking you down.” Min Ho said in a tone of disgust.

“Don’t test my patience Min ya,” said Hyun Joong, stepping dangerously close to him; menace dripping from his eyes. “I am quite because of my family today. Spare yourself the trouble.”

Till now Kim Bum and Naina were mere spectators to the heated argument. Kim Bum decided to intrude sensing things were getting decidedly uncomfortable and has starting raising eyebrows amongst the guests. Before they break into a physical brawl, Kim Bum came forward and said, “boys we are in a party. Don’t mess things up here. Hyun Joong your father is looking for you.”

   

Kim Bum dispersed the boys. As history says HJ and Lee Min ho were co stars turned close friends. But something happened few years back that changed their life and the close friends turned foes. They can't stand each other anymore. Their rivalry is infamous and widely gossiped in the industry. Hye Sun, HJ and Min Ho worked on projects together in the past. It is not hidden that Min Ho has a soft corner for Hye Sun but her loyalty lies with HJ. HJ is overly protected about Hye Sun as she is a family friend, which she misinterprets as love.

Naina was very intimidated with the turn of events. She came here with her best friend to enjoy her wedding. But things have not been particularly pleasant upon her arrival. First her rocky terms with Sia, then the hiccup in her life called Hyun Joong followed by not so friendly Hye Sun and now she witnessed the internal chronicles of the Kim family.

Too much to bear for a single night

She head straight to the drinks counter and gulped few cocktails down. She looked around to see everyone was busy in the party. She felt tired and sleepy. She left the party quietly.

Naina walked up the stairs, stumbling few times. She felt she was been watched and followed. She looked back to find the empty end of the corridor. A shadow moved swiftly and hid behind the walls. Naina was far too tired to care about it. She gingerly moved towards her room door, opened it and entered. She searched for the light switch in the dark. The light switch supposed to here. Where did it go?

She stumbled upon something hard like a table. Where did this come from?

Hyun Joong came upstairs to fetch the phone charger from his room. He opened the door, turned the lights on. “What the heck?” Hyun Joong completely stupefied to see Naina standing inside his room.

She turned around at the sudden shriek clearly terrified. “Mr Kim?” gasped Naina with her eyes popped out in shock. “You startled me! Why are you shouting?” 

“Well, the question should be what are you doing in my room?” asked HJ moving towards her in a quick pace.

Naina looked around and realised she has walked into his room by mistake.

That’s why I could not find the switch in place. Silly me!

She smiled sheepishly and said “I am sorry, actually I,,,”

“One should know to handle their liquor” said HJ sternly looking at her.

“Excuse me!! What do you mean?” Crossing her hands “I know how to handle my liquor ”

“Yes offcourse. I am the one misbalancing myself and barging into other’s room” HJ taunted.

“Listen, I already apologised for it, but now I take it back because you don’t deserve it” Naina said with her finger pointing at HJ.

HJ noticed how hard was she trying to stabilise herself.

“I am not even interested in y…” HJ stretched out his hands to hold Naina from falling. But she took the support of the table to find her feet.

“I am fine” shot back Naina refusing his helping hand.

“Had you known your limits of drinking, you would not have needed support”

“Hello, who do you think you are to lecture me, secondly I am not drunk, thirdly go and sort out your issues, I have never seen such dysfunctional relations before, everyone is looking for reasons to fight…”Naina kept pouring her frustration.

HJ first tilted his head upwards to release a sigh and eventually looked away showing utter disinterest in her jabber while Naina went on with her list of complaints, some of which made no sense with the present context. Her facial expression changed and became animated with the flow.

HJ tried to interrupt but in vain coz Naina was in no mood to shut her initially logical but eventually gibberish complaints. Finally when Naina miffed “You are a disillusioned man”, HJ’s lips tightened with annoyance. He held her by her arms to give her a jerk “Stop”. She stopped. He felt a massive weight on his chest and looked down at Naina’s limp body, which has conveniently fainted on him.

“You got to be kidding me,” HJ was flabbergasted.

He lifted her on his arms and looked at her sleeping face. He left a sigh and shook his head, “Miss Naina Dewan, you are something”.

 

******

Continued to Chapter 6

Things have taken a crucial turn in this chapter. Most of the characters has been introduced. There is definite attraction between Hyun Joong and Naina.

But what is Hyun Joong troubled past? What is following Naina? Keep reading to know the new twist in the tale. Guaranteed for a suspence yet romantic ride.

More fun to come in the next chapters. Till then happy reading!

 

Thank you to all readers

Please let me know through comments how you felt about the chapter.

Please feel free to upvote and subscribe.