Touch of Love

Your's Forever

Characters in this chapter:

Ku Hye Sun as herself

 

Chapter 4: Touch of Love

 

Naina ran as fast as she could and halted in front of the kim residence to catch her breath. My spiteful tongue will get me in big trouble some day she cursed herself. She gulped hard for having to escape the situation at the right time.

Oh gosh! his room is right opposite to mine. How will I face him everyday? After tonight’s incident he is definitely gonna eat me alive. God save me.

She tiptoed into the main hall from the entrance making sure not to make any sound to attract attention. She was about to take the stairs when Guem hee called her from back “You are still awake. Do you need anything?”

As she came closer her eyes widen to see Naina’s face caked with mud, her unkept hair frizzed up with dust. Her tee shirt was torn from the neck and an intense red bruise appeared on her chin.

“What happened my dear?” Guen hee gasped with her palms closing over .

“Actually Mrs Ki,,I mean Eomoni, I was just,,,”

Her explanation was cut short as Hyun Joong pushed the main door opened and stomped inside.

Guem hee was stunned to see her son’s similar condition. She was silenced to stone.

She turned back and forth to see the two figures covered in muck, at the loss of her words.

Naina felt the ground under her feet splitting to engulf her. She thought she could have easily avoided this, if she had been a little faster to run to her room.

Guem hee went up to her son who was fuming in anger staring hard at Naina. She observed her son’s arms had a visible bruise. She tried to have a close look when Hyun Joong shook her off.

“Why didn’t anyone tell her not to go wandering about at night?” Hyun Joong shouted, waking up everyone in the house.

Sia came running from her room followed by her dad and some servants.

“What is happening here?” Soo chang asked completely perplexed by HJ and Naina’s appearance.

“This stupid girl was alone in the park surrounded by goons. If I wasn’t there she would have been lying there paralysed” HJ explained everything that happened in the last hour.

“Thank God that you are safe Naina, are you hurt anywhere else?” Guem hee desperately looked across her body.

“No Eomoni I am fine” Naina assured.

“Did you ask anyone before heading out all by yourself at this hour? Don’t you have this common sense that it is unsafe to walk around dark alleys at night?” HJ kept bombarding her.

“Hyun Joong, calm down, let me handle” Guem hee tried hard to pacify her son.

“Wait, What were the guards doing when she went out? Soo Chang asked.

He was about to call the guards when Naina spoke up

“Actually I sneaked out under their nose. Its not their fault”

“What? Do you have any brains?” shouted HJ nearing the end of his tether.

“What about you going out alone? Does not that fall under common sense?” Naina asked gathering her strength.

“What did you just say?” Saying that hyun joong charged towards Naina.

“Easy,.son” Soo Chang dictated HJ to restrain. He turned towards his wife and said “Please tell her the rules of this house”. Saying that he returned to his room. Guem hee complied with a nod.

“Naina, we have some troublemakers on the loose in the neighbourhood. Do not go out alone at night. We are your guardians during your stay here. Your mother has trusted me with your wellbeing. I am answerable to her. Worse could have happened if Hyun Joong did not reach there on time. So please inform us before you want to go somewhere. Okay?” Guem hee advised. Naina nodded in assurance.

“Se Eul please apply the first aid on her wounds” Guem hee said.

She went up to his son to check his wounds. He shook her off “I am fine” and stormed up the stairs towards his room.

Hyun Joong gave a deadly glare to Naina and Sia while crossing them.“ Mian heyo oppa”, Sia apologised softly. Naina cowered under his stern gaze.

After the agitated figure left, the ambience went cooler.

All the ladies sighed a deep breath.

Guem looked at Naina who was frightened to the core. She said softly “don’t be scared. Don’t take his words to heart. He is like that to everyone”.

********

Naina woke up to a glorious morning. The sunlit room gave her an awesome feeling and pump started her day. She stretched her arms, yawned and wondered around the room taking a closer look at every nook and corner in the daylight. The bruise in her chin has darkened overnight and is more painful now. She walked to the balcony to find workers busy decorating the lawn for the garden party tonight. Growling in her stomach reminded her of the immediate need of breakfast. She quickly freshened up and put on ivory white knitwear and blue jeans. Before stepping out of her room, she stopped near the door, slowly twisted the bolt to open and peeped outside to check on her neighbour. She scanned the doorway and either ends of the corridor to see if there are any signs of the danger named “Hyun Joong” before she could set on the difficult journey from this unsafe territory to the more habitable downstairs. She debated should she risk running through the corridor or call Sia to come and get her. The opposite door was shut and there was no one. A toothy smile appeared to see no traces of her neighbour and the path is clear and safe.

The devil must be asleep. Safe and clear. Run Naina before your highness wakes up.

Saying that Naina happily came out of her room, slowly shut the door behind her and ran towards the stairs. As she turned towards the end of the corridor; she bumped into what seemed to be a well-built chest.

She hitched a breath realising the owner of the chest was none other than her neighbour she was running away from. Hyun Joong was soaking in sweat after his morning training and was going to take a shower when this petite figure ran into him. His nose took in the sweet smell of the lavender shampoo coming from her freshly washed tresses.

Before he could say anything she distant herself from him and ran down the stairs and disappeared around the corner.

A tiny smirk appeared on the sides of his lips looking at her childish act of running.

********

Naina met everyone at the breakfast table. Sia was quietly sipping on her juice and eyed Naina gesturing the mood of her dad. Soo Chang seated at the end of the table seemed to be still upset with last night’s turn of events.

“Good morning Naina. Did you have a good sleep?” Guem hee tried to break the ice.

“Good morning Mrs Ki,,,Eomoni, yes I did have a good sleep.” Naina quickly corrected herself.

“Its good to have breakfast together in the morning, the family that has breakfast together stands together” Naina tried to lighten up the situation but then cursed herself for making a nonsensical statement.

“Yes yes correct, we all do breakfast together” Guem hee joined in seeing the awkward silence.

“Only Hyun Joong doesn’t join us. He likes his breakfast in his room. Actually he moved out recently and now lives alone in his apartment on the other side of the town. He came around this time to see his sister and I think he is planning to stay until she leaves.” Guem hee explained.

That means the devil might not be around all the time. Such a relief! Naina chuckled in her mind.

“Naina, we have a garden party tonight. Hyun Joong is throwing this party to celebrate her return. This will be a good opportunity for you to meet Sia’s friends. There will be other guests as well, dominantly faces from the industry.”

“That’s exciting Eomoni, Please tell me if I can be of any help. I would love to be a part of the preparation.”

“Thank you Naina for the offer, but Hyun Joong’s event manager is organising everything for tonight.”

Naina could only imagine the grandeur of the party looking at the majestic preparations. It is nothing like her homely small parties in Melbourne where her mom and dad decorate their backyard and calls over few friends and family. Naina felt a little awkward realising how ignorant her offer was.

“Yeah Eomoni, you are correct. It is a massive party. How could I,,?” Naina replied in an embarrassed tone.

Guem hee realised that Naina felt uncomfortable with their prodigal lifestyle and that’s the last thing she would want.

“However Naina, what you could greatly help in is by giving a hand to your friend select her dress for tonight and also getting her ready for tonight” Guem hee said cheerfully.

Naina plastered a big smile and nodded her head numerous times glad to be offered a responsibility.

Sia quickly grabbed Naina’s hand “ lets go to my room and look at the dresses, what say?”

Naina could not refuse Sia as she had to maintain their façade of best friends in front of Sia’s family.

Sia closed the door behind her back as the girls entered Sia’s room after breakfast.

“Babes, how long you are going to be angry for? Give me chance to explain as in why did I hide my identity.” Sia’s attempt to justify her actions.

“Sia, I know you thought I am a gold digger and I will be after your money. It doesn’t need explanation. Its simple.” Naina faked a smile

“No, it’s not like that. Six years back,,” Sia was interrupted by Naina

“I don’t want to know. Can we start doing for what we came to your room? Said Naina looking around the room avoiding eye contact with Sia.

Sia realised that it will be best if Naina finds out the reason herself and then she can have her friend back.

“I think this will look good on you” Naina picked up a nice black dress from the wardrobe and asked Sia to try it on.

 

*********

 

After lunch, Naina came back to her room to select her own attire for the evening. That’s when Guem hee knocked and entered the room carrying a gift box.

“Naina, I would like to wear this for the evening party” Guem hee handed over the box to Naina.

Naina shyly took the box and opened it to find a beautiful mauve coloured gown. She hesitantly closed the box and forwarded it back to Geum hee.

“Eomoni, this was not needed, I have ample things to wear already”

“Please Naina, I insist. I tailored made this dress for you long back and was looking for an occasion to give. Would you not accept it if your mother would have got this for you?"

Naina could not turn down Guem hee any further after such an affectionate approach.

“Thank you Eomoni, I will definitely wear this tonight” Naina replied with all smile.

*******

It was an hour before the start of the party. Naina was giving the last touch on Sia’s makeup. Sia was looking overly pretty in a black gown. Suddenly a beautiful woman stomped into the room without knocking and stood near the mirror. Naina looked up to see an extremely attractive lady dressed in a white body-hugging suit looking at Sia with utmost annoyance.

“Why wasn’t I informed of your arrival early?” the lady demanded an answer.

Sia saw her reflection on the mirror and turned back in excitement.

“Because I wanted to surprise you. And I didn’t want to miss this dramatic reaction of yours ” Sia ran up to her for a hug.

“Shut up, like brother like sister, both of you want to pester me all the time” said she blocking Sia’s hug.

“Hye sun, now that you see me, give me a hug” Sia pleaded with a pout.

“No, I am not going to talk to you” Hye sun turned away.

“You are dying to give me a hug, you cannot be angry on me for giving you this pleasant surprise” Sia turned her back and forced a hug.

Hye sun forgot to resist any more and the two old mates hugged each other tightly.

“Oh before I forget, this is Naina my bestie from Melbourne and this is,,,” Sia initiated the introduction.

“I know you must be Ku Hye sun, Sia’s friend from her school choir, Sia used to talk about you all the time.” Naina said gladly

“School choir?” Hye sun let out a laugh.

“Ha Ha Naina, you must have confused with someone else” Sia tried to cover up.

Naina looked bewildered.

“Hye sun and I are from the same girl k-pop group. We started our singing career together. But then after our group disbanded and I left to Australia for studies, this missy went on to become the most famous hallayu stars of the nation. In fact, she did a famous drama with my brother. But apart from work relation, she shares a special bonding with brother” saying that Sia winked at Hye sun

“Yah so eun, you little,,” Hye sun turned red with the last statement.

Naina silently observed the friends playful fights.

Sia was a singer? And Hye sun was her band member and not in school choir. Naina realised this is one of those many truths that Sia fabricated to hid her identity. She had just begun to forget the wound when suddenly another truth came as a blow and reminded her of Sia’s betrayal.

“What have you done? This make up is not done properly,” Hye sun said looking at Sia's face.

“Well, I did her makeup,” said Naina

“Not a problem, we in Korea has a different taste. You are new; it will take time for you to understand,” Hye sun said that in a jiffy before picking up the makeup brush and palate.

“Yeah may be,” Naina said feebly. Naina and Sia exchanged glances.

“So eun, come have a seat, I will re do your makeup” Hye sun said.

“No, this is fine,,I like” Sia replied looking at Naina

“Shut up and have a seat” Hye sun ordered.

Naina left the room without much delay.

The slowly emerging fact of Sia’s life made her doubt all those moments that she spent with her. Was Sia ever honest with me? Do I know her at all? These thoughts kept crossing her mind. Moreover, Ku Hye Sun’s eccentric comments messed up with her mind. I don’t fit in here. I don’t belong here. Naina kept telling herself.

Completely disturbed in her thoughts, Naina reached the foot of the staircase to head back to her room, when she met HJ who was hurriedly running down the stairs and stopped in front of her.

Naina politely nodded her head in a courteous greeting and continued walking up when HJ stretched his arms and blocked her way.

HJ’s unruly behaviour added a spark to the already fuming fire inside her.

“Mr Kim, I am not in mood for jokes.” She snapped breaking her decorum.

She noticed Hyun Joong was looking at her forehead totally unperturbed by her actions.

“Mr Kim” she clicked her fingers to gain his attention.

“Have you done anything about this?” HJ asked dispassionately pointing at the bruise on her forehead.

“Listen, don’t bother, I can take care of it. Now can you just move out of my way?” Naina replied rolling her eyes in frustration.

“I don’t care. Its just that I don’t want you to walk into the party flashing this on your forehead so that you can get all the media attention.” HJ turned irate with Naina’s reply.

Naina looked up and drew in a deep breath “Like I said, don’t ,,,”. She could not finish her statement when Hyun Joong grabbed her by the arms and dragged her upstairs. Naina stumbled on her feet with the sudden jerk.

“Mr Kim, what are you doing? This is insane. Mr Kim, are you listening?” Naina’s voice echoed down the stairwell, as HJ trailed her totally unmoved by her reaction.

The couple entered HJ’s room. He pulled out the first aid box from his bedside drawer.

“This is a waterproof antiseptic. You can even apply makeup over it. This comes handy for us at the sets.” HJ said tossing the medicine towards her.

Naina caught it and read the content on the medicine minutely. Looks like it will burn if I apply this, she murmured to herself.

“Are you going to apply it anytime soon? I don’t have the whole day.” HJ grew impatient looking at her fiddling with the tube.

Does he want me to apply it now in front of him? Why is he is so demanding?

Her eyes grew wider as she saw him approaching her. He plucked the tube off her finger and squeezed out the gel onto a cotton swab. He held her from the back of her head and roughly dabbed it at the wound. Naina winced in pain, moved back in reflex and let out a quick “Ouch! It hurts”. HJ watched her retreat. In response, he moved forward and closed the distance between them. “Stay still and stop whining, you are not a kid” he ordered and continued applying the medicine. Naina narrowed her eyes, not happy with his demeanour. She gritted her teeth in sheer annoyance and said “Leave it, I will do it” while distancing herself from him. She could not even move an inch as his hand moved swiftly from the back of her head to her left arm, pulling her up and close and plastered his fingers on her lips in an attempt to shut her off. “Shhhh, I told you not to move.” He held her still glued to his body. Naina felt her blood gushing up to her heart as his fingers landed on her lips. Her skin heated up red with his breadth. She felt an unfamiliar twirl in her stomach as she gazed into his ruthless yet passionate eyes.

With her boyfriend, she has been much more intimate than this. Then why? Why the proximity with this man is making her heart flutter?

The day we met,
Frozen I held my breath
Right from the start
I knew that I'd found a home for my heart

All the while Hyun Joong kept staring into her startled eyes. The feathery touch of her skin against his chest felt like a soothing autumn breeze. His fingers on her soft lips zinged a current through his body and just then he felt a sensation long forgotten ~ his heart beat. He could hear his heart running a zillion beats. An emotion, he thought has died inside him has rekindled with her touch. In so many years for the first time he felt he has a heart.

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave?
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall
But watching you stand alone?
All of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer,

Unknown to their fate, these two souls are in denial of the sudden aroused feelings. They fail to realise that destiny has conspired to bring them together and it had already started its play.

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

 

***********

Continued to Chapter 5

I apologise for the long hiatus in updating. I promise I will be regular now. 

The song in the chapter has been taken from Christina Perri's Thousand Years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOvBOTyX00

How long will HJ and Naina will keep ignoring each other? What is brewing betweet them? Is this just an attraction or start of something new? More fun to come in the next chapters. Till then happy reading!

 

Thank you to all readers

Please let me know through comments how you felt about the chapter.

Please feel free to upvote and subscribe.