The Other Lifetime

Forever With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lids flutter open exposing two caramel brown orbs. Hand shot up to the side of her eyes wiping the damp streak left by her tears. She is no stranger to bad dreams because she’s been having them for as long as she can remember but not the ones that cause her to wake up in the middle of the night screaming.

It was a bad dream in the sense, she always wakes up shedding a few tears and feeling sad. Her dreams are always vague but she always remembers the feeling even after she wakes up. And the dreams almost always end with her crying… for someone?

“Ning?”

She turns to her door that is slightly open and her sister’s head poking inside. How come she didn’t hear her door open? She flashes a smile to her older sister. “Joy-unnie”

Joy pushes the door wide open so she can enter the room. She has a worried look on her eyes as she sits on the edge of the bed. “Bad dream?”

Ningning nods. She had told Joy about her bad dreams far too many times that her older sister already know the indications if she had woken up from a bad dream.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Joy asks as she softly pats Ningning’s blanket covered thigh.

“I already forgot about the details, unnie. I’m sorry” Ningning knows she didn’t convince her sister but she doesn’t want to talk about it, nor does she want to bother her older sister about her mundane dreams.

Joy offers a smile. “Alright” She understands if Ningning doesn’t want to talk about it and she doesn’t push her sister into telling her because she knows Ningning will come around some other time. “Breakfast is ready. Come down when you’re ready”

 

♦♦♦

 

“NINGNING PARK!!!!!!!”

“There’s no need to shout, unnie. I’m already here” Ningning has a frown on her beautiful face as she casually walks towards her sister. “The whole neighborhood will hear you”

Joy smiles. “Wouldn’t miss a chance to scream your name. Are you ready?” Ningning nods. “Mom and dad we’re leaving!”

Ningning flinches. Why does her sister love shouting?

Their father answered with ok, while her mother told Joy to drive safely.

Joy annoys Ningning most of the time because who doesn’t love to annoy their little sister? But as much as she loves to annoy her sister, Joy still loves Ningning and still fulfills her duties as the big sister. And one of those duties is to be Ningning’s personal driver.

As soon as they’re inside the car, they did the standard procedure of wearing their seatbelts.

“First day of your high school life…” Joy smiles as she maneuvers the car out of the garage. “How are you feeling?”

Ningning turns to her sister blankly. “Should I feel something? Isn’t it the same as middle school?”

Joy shakes her head. “Ningie, middle school is very different from high school”

“How so?” Ningning furrows her brows.

Joy pouts, thinking. “High school is a stage, either you stand out or you just blend with the crowd”

“Is that why you joined the cheerleading team?”

Joy smiles at her sister. “To tell you honestly, it was the cheer team’s previous captain who approached me and who am I to turn them down”

“So what do you suggest I do, sunbaenim?” Ningning asks playfully.

Joy taps her chin. “Join some clubs, preferably the ones you’re passionate about” The traffic light conveniently turned red so Joy was able to turn to her sister. “I’m sure you will do well”

Joy returns her hand on the steering wheel. Seconds later, the light turned green and they immediately moved. “If worse comes to worst, just tell them you’re my sister” she flips her hair then winks at her sister.

It made Ningning laugh. Joy said it like it was a free pass or like she will receive a privilege for being Joy’s sister. Her sister’s confidence really amazes her. Joy created this cool, confident and tough persona when she entered high school but in reality she’s a softie who looks after and loves her little sister so much.

They arrived at the school with a few minutes to spare.

“What time will your class end today?” Joy asks while she retouches her makeup.

Ningning shrugs. “I still don’t know yet. I will message you”

Joy nods. “I have cheerleading practice until 6. Make sure to tell me where you will wait for me, okay?”

“Okay” then Ningning stepped out of the car. She spotted her best friend, Kim Winter from a distance so she immediately approached her.

Since the school was near Winter’s house and she doesn’t have a specific high school in mind, Ningning was able to instantly persuade her best friend to attend the same school as hers. And since they already have someone they know, adjusting to the new environment and befriending classmates won’t be as challenging as when they are alone.

Ningning and Winter made their way towards their classroom, talking, sharing stories and telling each other about what their families did during the vacation.

They passed by a room, the students were being rowdy because there wasn’t a professor inside.

Ningning caught a glimpse of this girl, long jet-black hair and pointy nose. She has her eyes closed while her chin rests on her knuckle. Ningning was only able to see the girl’s side profile but it was enough for her to note that this girl is beautiful.

Someone sat beside the girl. She must’ve felt it because she slowly opens her eyes and Ningning’s heart unconsciously starts to beat at a much faster pace.

“Ning” Ningning looks away from the girl. “Are you okay?”

“Ugh… yea. sorry” Ningning smiled and the two best friends resumed walking.

 

♦♦♦

 

“Giselle…”

Giselle slowly opens her eyes. “Karina” she smiles when Karina dumps something on her desk as she sits down beside her. “I take it you didn’t like my book”

“That is not a book. That is some nonsense piece of whatever that is” Karina shakes her head. “And I don’t understand why you like that book so much”

Giselle laughs. “It’s funny. Helps me laugh whenever I’m feeling down”

Karina rolls her eyes. “Sometimes, I don’t understand your humor”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter