bimbo

94.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 


IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE DISCLAIMER, READ IT HERE. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS. 
 


[dayfly - DEAN ft. Sulli]
 


Junmyeon and Minseok are arguing again. Byul calmly sips her coffee, watching the exchange. It’s not much of a surprise to anyone in the room, because that’s just how their friendship works. They may disagree with each other, but they have the same goal, and this is just one of the steps toward settling on the best path.


Jongin, sitting next to her, shifts in his seat as he talks to Yifan, discussing the scope of the information in which Junmyeon implicates the Deer and their new involvement in the case.


Yifan may be tall, and he looks angry when he’s focused, but in reality he has a soft spot for the rookies and victims in his cases. He smoothes out his brows as he leans back and drums his fingers against the wood while soaking in all the new details.


Jongin, on the other hand, is much more serious than contemplative and benefits from talking through the information. Every question and statement is met with a “hm,” or “yes,” or even an indistinguishable murmur from Yifan.


On the other side of the table, Donghae isn’t paying any attention to the nonsense in the background as he munches away at his breakfast in the form of a sausage roll that makes Byul’s stomach grumble. She takes another gulp from her mug, trying to quell her hunger.


Chanyeol is scribbling away on a piece of paper, trying to figure out how everything fits into the profile he created for the Kyrie. His work has doubled with the increase of information, and he’s repeating the key details to Kyungsoo who is nodding, simply absorbing the weight of the situation.


Nothing takes away from the fact that they have a very limited amount of time and a critical case to solve. Even Mina is frowning. She’s supposed to interview Chen now, and given that she has some solid understanding of Chen’s work, she could be much more effective. But Chen isn’t the priority. The Kyrie is. And if everything goes right, the group can deal with the Deer after.


The only one who isn’t putting up with Junmyeon and Minseok’s arguing is Irene, who looks more and more irritated as they continue. Normally, the team doesn’t mind the back and forth between them because it ends with the best possible solution for the team, but in this case, they’re both technically correct, and their frustration is ruining their communication.


“So you’re saying to spread out our already overloaded team? How in the world are we going to put the Kyrie behind bars then?”


“We’re obligated to!” Junmyeon argues, his face stern and his mouth pulling down. “Victims of this case and related cases are—”


Minseok responds with equal amounts of frustration, “We have to deal with the Kyrie first! You’re not focused enough on the case—”


“Enough.” Irene’s icy command makes the two of them freeze. “The two of you are wasting valuable time that we don’t have. The connection with the Deer is important to take advantage of, and so is the fact that we have good hints of what artifact is going to be stolen. Now, please get your heads out of your asses.”


The meeting room is taken over by a strained silence which is broken a few moments later with a defeated sigh from Junmyeon. “Irene is right. We can move the team that was supposed to take care of Chen’s trail to the Deer and how the three connect, and the remaining can figure out the plans of the Kyrie. We can move Irene to the team that works solely on the Kyrie because of our deadline.”


“What’s your estimated timeline?” Irene’s voice is crisp, but she’s clearly satisfied with having the meeting back on track as she crosses her legs. “Even if we know the probable artifact, we don’t know when it’ll happen.”


Chanyeol’s eyebrows are pinched together, and Byul has a feeling he’s going to start getting wrinkles soon. He rubs at his temples. “What do we know about the exhibit and when it’s being moved?”


It takes Mina a couple of clicks on her laptop to pull up the information about the museum, which doesn’t amount to much. “We’ll need to get the full details from the museum and a full breakdown on security.”


Even though everyone is convinced that the coronation cloak from the 20th century is the target thanks to what the worker had supposedly seen and heard, Byul isn’t as sure. Even though it’s grand, she has the nagging feeling it’s not enough. “Can we get the full break down on the entire exhibit? Not just that one object?”


“You don’t think he would steal more than one thing, do you?” Chanyeol asks. He’s used to unlikely patterns and habits, and Byul knows that despite the fact that Oh Sehun is human, he’s unpredictable.


“It’s possible. What if he sees a sword he likes? Or a crown? He’s stolen crowns before.” Byul is aimlessly stirring a mug without any liquid in it, her eyes focused on the grain of the desk’s wood. She’s tired, yes, but the case being pushed forward makes her antsy. Junmyeon seems to trust this possible witness and he has a good judgement of character, but is it too convenient? What if this information had been planted?


It’s unlikely. But not impossible. And she’s not the only one thinking that.


“Do you have the possible witness’ contact information? All of this could be faked.” Kyungsoo twirls a pen in his hand.


Junmyeon shakes his head. “I don’t think I was expected, and the workers genuinely thought they had to service me. They hate the Deer above all else, and the Kyrie made him more abusive towards the workers.”


“Wait, he what?” Chanyeol jerks his head up, eyes widening.


“The Kyrie made the Deer more abusive towards workers.” Junmyeon slowly repeats. “Why?”


Chanyeol ruffles through his notes with a frown and tousled hair. “He’s, well, he’s shown a lot of symptoms similar to a psychopath.”


Narcissism, fake charm and charisma, lack of empathy. Chanyeol is right. Sehun technically could fit the bill. Matter of fact, it’s a good explanation for a lot of his behavior. Many high-profile criminals are either sociopaths or psychopaths, but that’s never really confirmed or tested until the person is put on trial and assessed by medical professionals.


“Manipulation and a lack of guilt.” Kyungsoo’s eyes harden as he muses over the thought.


“Wait.” Yifan’s voice has a steely note that is usually absent from his laidback and easygoing nature around the office. “Chanyeol, have you looked through the Deer’s files? He’s no angel, and what does it mean if he’s being manipulated by a psychopath?”


“It means that either the Kyrie is either a master at mind games, or the Deer has a weak point that the Kyrie has taken control of.”


Junmyeon is tired. That’s not very surprising, but Yifan pulling Byul aside after the morning meeting is. It’s a solid twenty minutes until she rejoins him and Minseok in Junmyeon’s office.


She looks visibly ruffled.


“Byul, do you have a suggestion for what to do about the es?” Junmyeon prods, mostly because she didn’t give her opinion in the meeting room.


“Do you want me to give my apologies? Or would you like me to be harsh but truthful?” She pulls a folder towards herself and starts looking through the information about Junmyeon’s short report that he had made after his observations last night.


Usually, Junmyeon would say the second, but now he’s not so sure. Byul is human. Byul is so human that a part of her has become unyielding and jaded to some of the ugly parts of the world. It’s not like he’s much different, but he doesn’t want to hear anything harsh at the moment.


Minseok is on the same page. “We’ve heard enough cruelty this early in the morning.”


His shoulders sag as he brushes his hair out of his eyes. Going after high-profile criminals isn’t as glorious or admirable or exhilarating as it’s painted to be. No, it’s a lot of bench work and reading and hunting down loose ends only to have any traces of hope fizzle in your hands.


There are always people that get away too. Junmyeon knows when Yifan had been on the team going after the Deer, Yifan had used every fiber of his being and exhausted himself. For a while, the failure of the team had led him to become an empty shell of himself.


Minseok isn’t at that point yet. But Junmyeon isn’t stupid. He knows that Minseok is taking files home with him and keeping up with all the details of the case, even though he isn’t required to. Even though he may leave the office early enough to say good night to his wife, he’s sleeping maybe two or three hours a night and retracing the steps from the previous years on the case.


“Minseok?”


“Hm?” He doesn’t even look up, lips pursed
as he jots notes to himself.


“Take the day off—”


“No.”


“I’m your superior and I’m telling you to take the day off.” Junmyeon presses.


Minseok nearly snorts, mimicking Junmyeon in a silly voice. “I’m your superior and—”


“Minseok, I will sign you out myself, and no, you’re not allowed to take any files home with you.”


Byul ignores the back and forth like usual, or that’s what Junmyeon thinks until she crossly looks up. “Minseok, you’re going home or I’m phoning your wife to come drag you home.”


Minseok’s face pales. It takes a full five minutes for him to pack up for the day, and Byul rubs at her forehead after he says his goodbyes. “I’m not falling for your front.”


“What front?” Junmyeon flips his pen between his fingers.


“You’re probably justifying giving him the day off because of his work ethic, but we both know it’s because his wife has her first prenatal appointment for the baby. And Minseok wanted to go but he had work.” She takes sip of her coffee knowingly. “I’m not falling for it.”


Junmyeon’s nose twitches and he looks back to the piles of folders. He knows without looking that she has a somewhat triumphant look on her face, and that’s much more like the Byul he hired a year ago.


“Should I tell you my thoughts now?” She raises an eyebrow.


“Do I want to hear it?”


“No.” She’s as blunt as ever.


Junmyeon sighs, nodding.


“Use the es. They have nothing to their name, no purpose, and essentially no lives. But maybe they can gain their freedom.”


Luhan doesn’t like other people on his bed. Not unless they’ve been invited to be on his bed. And yet, no matter how many times he reminds Sehun of that fact, Sehun never listens. That’s why he is sprawled out on the king sized bed, eyes half-lidded and shirtless.


“Get off.” Luhan prods Sehun.


Sehun simply arches an eyebrow. “Done with budget balancing already? How are those profit margins?”


“As if you know about my expenditures.” Luhan pulls on fuzzy socks, sighing at the comfort and warmth. It’s what he needs at the moment. He still can’t find his lighter, and he’s torn several rooms apart in his attempt to find it. Sehun’s eyes flicker to Luhan’s socks, and he promptly changes the subject. “Since when did you care enough to ask?”


“I don’t.” Sehun sweeps his hair back. His jeans are low on his hips and he groans, stretching out his already limber body. Luhan tries to not watch him, but Sehun tucks an arm behind his head, and something about him looks so inviting. “Might as well pretend though. Now, are you coming to bed or do I have to come and get you?”


“I have work to do.”


Before Luhan realizes, Sehun loops his arm around Luhan’s thigh, tugging so Luhan fall back on to Sehun’s body on the bed. Luhan finds himself increasingly more irritated. “Sehun.”


“Are you mad at me?” Sehun practically croons, as if to mock Luhan for daring to have emotions.


And that’s when Luhan finds himself at the end of his rope. He’s ashamed to admit that Sehun always wriggles his way through Luhan’s life, no matter how many times Luhan wants to pull away. And like usual, Sehun is dictating the situation and expecting Luhan to go along with it.


“Yes.” Luhan snaps. “When you said you were leaving everything to do with the crime, I thought you meant stealing. Not the entire world. Not me.”


Sehun has the audacity to look somewhat stunned before a grin stretches across his face. “Are you going to miss me? Hm, Luhan?”


“That’s not the point.”


“Once you get yourself into this life, you can’t leave.” Luhan ignores the fact that Sehun’s shirtless torso is pressed up against his back, and Sehun’s fingers are creeping to the sliver of skin between Luhan’s shirt and pants. “You think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter