Chapter four

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So ehm. I am still actually writing this. Just very very very very very slowly. Sorry for the slow updates guys, life is just way too busy...

Chapter four: The flickering lights

Jeonghan sighed in content. It was already midday and until now everything had gone smoothly.  It was in one word splendid, or better yet perfect.

Seungkwan was busy hording all the children in neat lines before they would storm into the water. On his side Chan was tending to the lanterns and torches that lit up the beach as the sun still had a long way to go before it would light up the world. Mingyu had taken care of the cleansing ritual in Jihoons stead. As per usual.

But the short omega had attended the ritual none the less. Dressed in his ceremonial clothes, he had paid attention to every detail of the ceremony. Even Seokmin had been present the entire day. The beta didn’t even like the ceremonies and all the traditions that went with it. Still he dedicated himself to serving and helping Jihoon as the day slowly passed by.

Jeonghan himself had been delighted with his presence because honestly, Jihoon could use every bit of help on this day. The first task of the leader was to wait out the night. Ring the bells in time for everyone to wake up. Even though dawn was still in the far future. All night Jihoon had to wait in the cold temple. Sitting in the stone building with only a few torches to provide scarce warmth. Jeonghan shuddered at the thought and remembered the warm comfort of his own bed. It wasn’t always and easy task to be the leader of the Grenhil Pack.

After the bells it was time for the cleansing ritual. The one task with which Jihoon had happily breached tradition. No cold ice water for him. Jeonghan chuckled when the children chased Mingyu into the water. Laughing at the shivering alpha as he ran out afterwards. To Seungkwans horror he didn’t just stop there though. He had actually grabbed onto the obviously weaker omega and dragged him into the cold water with him for a second dive. Of course this amused the children even more and their laughter had roared over the beach after the two friends came ashore.

Jeonghan had seen the murderous glare Seungkwan shot Mingyu afterwards and he feared for the lanky alpha. Revenge was brewing in the eyes of their younger friend and it wasn’t going to be pretty. Jihoon only chuckled at the two friends before grabbing two big towels and some mantles which he ceremoniously draped over their shoulders. While blessing them for health in the coming year with a warm, mischievous grin.

As Jeonghan heard Jihoon talk to the two his eyes were glued to the other brother, Seokmin. With one event down and a whole lot more to go, his suspicions were rising. It wasn’t normal for the brothers to be present at all times. One of the two should’ve disappeared into thin air long ago. Yet both remained at his side. Chan shook him out of his overthinking.

“Jeonghan we’ve to move. It’s time for the ceremony in the temple.” He urged the older before looking at Jihoon, “Jihoon are you ready to go?”

The leader raised one eyebrow at their youngest counsellor. “You did see my amazing attire didn’t you? It kind of stands out you know?” The sarcasm was dripping from his voice as he spoke while wiggling the expensive fabrics of his robes. “I’m not wearing this so that I can almost trip with every step I take. It’s not exactly fun or practical.”

“It is for us.” Seokmin whispered from behind, earning him a quick smack on his shoulder as his brother glared at him.

Jeonghan couldn’t let this chance slip past either, “You’re actually quite graceful when you land face first in the snow.” Seokmin chuckled while Jihoon fumed and cursed under his breath. “Cute little snowman Jihoon.” As soon as he said the words he jumped backwards, just in time to dodge the punched thrown towards him. The little distance was enough, because in his current attire chasing Jeonghan would only lead Jihoon to trip.

Mingyu and Seungkwan both smirked at Jihoon, “Don’t you just love the ceremonial clothes that our Ancestors chose for the leader of our pack?”

“I love it.” Jihoon grumbled sarcastically, “Let me send a little prayer to them to convey my gratitude.” 

---

Baekhyun dragged his feet through the snow in order to keep up with Chanyeol. The leather boots that the Grenhillians had given him protected his toes from the cold while a warm mantle covered the rest of his body. Unlike their expectations of Yule, the streets were empty. Only a few vendors were setting up store, but most of the cities inhabitants had vanished.

Noticing their confusion a man walked up to them. As he neared them he threw back the hood that had previously covered his face, revealing his pinkish hair. “Can I help you?” His soft and gentle voice carried over the short distance between them.

Baekhyun stared at the man for a little while, wondering where he had seen that mob of pink hair before. The striking feature was sure to draw attention, but it had slipped his mind.

The man drew nearer and pointed at the abandoned streets. “If you’re wondering where everyone went, they’re probably in the Temples right now. Offering their gratitude to the Ancestors and asking for advice in the coming year.” Baekhyun made a quick mental note about the man’s soothing voice.

“Shouldn’t you be there as well?” Chanyeol asked the pink haired beta.

A glint of amusement showed, “I don’t pray to the same Ancestors. In that regard I’m much like you two on this day. An outsider who’s witnessing his first Yule.”

“So you’ve been captured by these barbarians as well?” Baekhyun scoffed while his feet kicked at some snow. “What weird practices do they have that the whole town has been abandoned. Don’t they understand that they’re vulnerable right now? What if someone were to attack?”

The young man chuckled lightly, “If you think that this town is vulnerable, you haven’t witnessed enough of Grenhil just y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter