Chapter one

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One: What troubles you?

Normally winter is that one season full of peace and quiet. The time to enjoy sitting around a warm fireplace with friends and family, because honestly there is nothing else to do in the snowy world outside your house. Inside you can finally fix whatever is broken, sew a few new clothes while hoping you had enough wool to beat the cold. Winter was never a season for being outside, complex combat training let alone war. Maybe you could go out once in a blue moon to train outside, while trying not to freeze to death. It was far too cold for construction work, the fields were empty, the animals occupied the stables. Travel became difficult in the mountainous areas surrounding Grenhil, so even trading came to a silent standstill whilst the snows raged over the landscape. The high stacked piles of ice and snow made the many roads slippery and dangerous, towering meters above the ground. Rivers froze over and for once the lake was empty of all the boats and floats. Even most outposts where abandoned during the cold winter months, no one would go into the forest without just cause anyways.

But this year it was different. During the last month ever since winter started there had been an ongoing stream of activity in Grenhil. Preparations had to be made for the upcoming seasons, since spring would likely bring about another period of hardship. Not because of famines or this extremely cold winter. No. In spring the armies of the Exodus pack would start moving again. The spies and scouts had already reported various activities in the neighbouring towns under Exodus reign. The past summer had only been the beginning of something that the Grenhil pack had never been involved in before. All out war.

It frightened many, and rightfully so. Their pack had been living a good quiet life for many centuries. That fragile peace would soon come to an end. It would crumble down at their feet as armies would trample through their most sacred places. The nightmare was unfolding in front of their eyes and it was coming their way fast.

Jihoon held a hand above his eyes in order to see as he stared at the mountain tops in the distance. The snow had covered his whole world in a white blanket, mercilessly reflecting the sunlight into his poor eyes. The forest was in a deep slumber until the first warm days of spring would finally melt the snow. The birds that had sang during the three previous seasons had gone south in search of warmer lands. In absence of the birds the forest had become silent. A sigh escaped through his lips, a little cloud of air forming where his breath touched the icy cold air of winter. His hands were slowly getting colder and he regretted not wearing his gloves. He would be scolded by the others for sure but for now he didn’t care. He needed to get out of the hectic that surrounded all of Grenhil these days. It was even worse now that preparations had started for Yule and Jihoon needed a break.

For many weeks Jihoon had tried to get Chanyeol and Baekhyun to speak with him. It was a fruitless effort. No matter what he did, no matter what he tried, they didn’t tell him anything he didn’t already know. Jihoon had given up for now. He couldn’t do it alone. He needed someone to help him and he knew exactly who.

It was the absence of Jeonghan that burdened him the most, normally the older would take care of everyday life in Grenhil but now all that work fell upon Jihoons shoulders. Part of him blamed Seungcheol for the mess that he found himself in. If the alpha hadn’t messed up maybe Jeonghan would’ve been right here with him instead of in Strenyard. But deep inside Jihoon knew better. If Seungcheol hadn’t messed up Jeonghan still would’ve followed him.

Although Jihoon would never admit it, he would probably follow Soonyoung as well. From a discreet distance, without being seen, he would watch over him.

He continued walking, completely deeply sunken in his thoughts. His mind running circles around secrets that he couldn’t unravel and problems he couldn’t solve. Not yet at least. There had to be something he could do in order to get Baekhyun and Chanyeol to help him. After all he had spend months with them and they seemed to be genuinely good people. Why did they even attack others?

There was no apparent reason for the normally bright and happy pair to wage a war against packs they didn’t even know. The ongoing violence didn’t resonate with the characteristics that Jihoon had drawn onto them in his mind. Sure the rumours floating around were less flattering, telling tales and stories of murder, crimes that he knew they had committed in the past. Still he wasn’t convinced about them being pure evil. But what was their motive?

His aching hands were calling for his attention, distracting him from his own thoughts. Holding them up to his mouth he tried blowing warm air onto his hands to warm them up, knowing full well it would only bring temporary relieve. Instead he gripped his warm cloak tighter and tried burying his hands in the warm material. Soon he could feel life flowing back into his poor fingers as they slowly adjusted to temperature of his body. It wouldn’t be long before he had to start climbing again. He cursed at himself for forgetting his gloves. Well forgetting wasn’t the right word. He knew full well that he didn’t take them with him. Seungkwans constant nagging had annoyed him too much and he had left his gloves behind in plain sight for all of them to see when he stalked out. Sometimes he really was too stubborn.

Finally he saw his destination for the day unfold on the horizon and he smiled in himself. It had been a long road, but it would grant him the freedom and peace of mind he needed, if only for a limited amount of time. He heaved a heavy sigh before getting a move on again. The prospect of a warm fire certainly did wonders for his mood. It was only for one night, but at least tonight he would sleep in a warm bed.

----

It had been a month since he left Grenhil. One month since winter fell.  One month since he followed his damned feelings and came to this town. And he regretted it. He held the letter tightly in his hands, crumpling the material in his frustration. His eyes scanned over the contexts once more but nothing changed. A curse escaped through his lips as he held the next to the waiting flames of a candle. He watched with eager eyes as the paper started to smoke before fully catching fire. He stood up and walked to the forgotten hearth in the corner of the room. His hand let go of the burning paper and kept looking at it, making sure it was totally gone before turning back to his desk.

It was a short report and honestly there hadn’t been a need to burn it. Nothing about it was secretive. It had just bothered him that he felt this useless. He decided that the night had been long enough and he carefully blew out the candle, the room now covered in darkness. Not that it mattered. One second later he had adapted his eyes and he could see the world perfectly again. Time to go to his temporary home. A home that he had grown to hate more and more. As the only thing welcoming him would be a never ending silence.

He made his way down the staircase that led to his workspace and soon he left the wooden building and entered the sleeping town. A little moon sickle covered the snowy streets in dim lighting. The white blanket covering the uneven cart tracks underneath. The cold had long since changed the ever present puddles of water into ice. If you didn’t watch your step you could easily slip and slide your way down the street instead of walking. It didn’t face him at all.

The quiet night felt as a cold embrace as he continued his way home. It was soothing his emotions and making him think more clearly. Maybe it was time for him to go home. He had stayed here long enough and the end to his loneliness didn’t seem close at all. Why couldn’t everything go smoothly for once?

Somewhere behind him he heard the faint sound of someone calling a name. Was it his own name? The echo resounded through the snowy town. He halted and carefully glanced over his shoulder but he saw no one. It must have been his imagination. Shrugging his shoulders slightly he continued his way but the faint call had made him restless. What if it was his name? In that case the owner of the voice was likely headed towards his office. Even though it was late in the evening, normally he would still be sitting at his temporary desk for quite a while. It had become his habit to work the whole night true, a last effort in escaping the reality of his lonely home. Should he go back to his office? The thought of simply continuing his way lingered in his mind shortly but he quickly discarded it. There were to many distractions to keep him awake during the night.

Finally making a decision he turned around on his heels and headed back in the direction that he came from. Once he got closer he could see a vague light burning in his office. There was no mistaking it. Surely someone had called his name earlier. Now the only question that remained was, who was it? Or had it all been his own imagination. Maybe his lack of sleep was finally getting the better of him. Had he forgotten to blow out all of the candles?

A chill went up his spine as he entered the building. Suddenly he remembered the contents of the letter he received this morning. The very letter he had just burned in frustration.

‘Scouts reported suspicious movements around the borders. War is brewing. Yule is coming. The Exodus members remain silent. Be careful in Strenyard. Jihoon is suspicious of every Exodus movement. Their armies are already in Helstren.’

The beautiful handwriting obviously belonging to no other than Boo Seungkwan. Nothing much was written. It was a short report but he felt helpless and restless as he read it. His own people were preparing for war and here he was. In a different town, with a different pack, chasing a lover that had gone back to ignoring him.

His hand went to the dagger that was secured on his hip, shadowing over the hilt as his feet silently moved over the steps of the staircase. In front of him he could see the sliver of light coming from underneath the door to his office. He stilled all of his movements, the only sound remaining was his own soft breathing as he listened carefully. But he heard nothing.

Placing one foot silently in front of the other, his eyes never leaving the door, he moved further along the dark hallway. There was still a shiver running through him as if his body tried to warn him. A warning he ignored until he felt cold steel against his throat.

“Yo!” A soft voice chirped happily behind him. He smirked a little as he pictured the position of the other behind him in his mind. He hadn’t been paying attention to his surroundings. Not noticing the other standing in the darkness until it had been too late. But he wasn’t beaten just yet. Without prior warning he moved his elbow back with full force. He knew he had hit the mark when he heard the metal object hit the floor. Not wasting a beat he spun around and danced back facing the other who was gripping his arm painfully.

“Was that really necessary Jeonghan?” The complaint was directed towards him as the other continued rubbing the sore spot that Jeonghan hat hit previously.

“You put a knife on my throat.” Jeonghan reminded him. “I think I was allowed that much.”

“You should’ve checked your surroundings better.” The other mocked, “Be happy it was me and not some assassin.”

Jeonghan rolled his eyes. “Sure… Why are you even here Jihoon? Don’t tell me you ran off again…”

Feigning innocence Jihoon smiled at him while opening the door to his office. “I didn’t run off. I told the others I would be gone for a little. I had some business in Strenyard and I needed to recruit someone.”

Getting the hint Jeonghan walked over to his desk and sat himself on top of it. “So… what is troubling you?”

Jihoon stared at him for a while as if trying to find the right words and Jeonghan knew that his hunch had been right. “Jeonghan…” He tried but he shook his head instead, making Jeonghan urge him to continue. “Did I make a mistake by helping Strenyard and involving us?”

There was so much doubt woven into his words that Jeonghan was taken aback for a bit. This wasn’t the confident man that he left behind in Grenhil one month ago. “What do you mean? Why are you doubting yourself now?”

Jihoons averted his eyes. “I involved us in this whole mess. Exodus wasn’t entering our territory yet and still I took the first step. Why couldn’t I just sit still like our ancestors? We never did anything when wars raged around us in the past. I am going to be the cause for the death of my own people Jeonghan.” Even in the dimly lit room Jeonghan could see the youngers eyes glistening with tears that he was trying desperately to hold in.

“If you didn’t more people would’ve died Jihoon.” Jeonghan told the other ster

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter