Chapter thirty

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter thirty: When grey clouds start to gather

A slight tremble made his hand float in the air moveless for a second before he finally took a deep sigh and knocked on the oak wooden door in front of him. He waited for an answering call from inside but none followed. He knocked again, more confidently now. It remained silent on the other side of the door. One more deep breath and he carefully opened the door, sticking his head through the opening to take a peek inside.

In the corner he saw the omega sitting at his desk, furiously writing something down on a piece of paper in front of him. He was just about to move back, regretting his decision to come here sensing the others foul mood when he felt a comforting hand on his shoulder.

He pressed the door open and called out, “Jeonghan?”

The shape on the desk shifted his position at the sound of his voice. Instant happiness spreading over his features as he spotted the person in the doorway. Without a second wasted he jumped up and ran over to the man that stood at the entrance to his office. Now he also saw the shadow standing behind him, a hand on his shoulder slightly pushing him forward. Jeonghan couldn’t help the fond feeling inside him.

“Jihoon!” He finally called out as he embraced the shorter man. Jihoon flinched at the touch but didn’t push him away. Giving Jeonghan the time he needed without complaining. Which in itself was already a miracle really. Behind him Soonyoung was now twitching nervously from one leg onto the other. Reading his mind Jeonghan grabbed the opportunity to tease the alpha a little, hurling Jihoon even closer to himself as he stuck his tongue out towards Soonyoung.

Soonyoung huffed, “Really?” Jeonghan felt the smile on his face grow even wider in amusement. The alpha was definitely jealous. “Traitor…” Jeonghan chuckled as a response and gave the alpha a wink as he released the other omega from his tight grip.

“So you’ve finally decided to come back?” Jeonghan asked while walking back to his desk. The paper that he had been writing on before swiftly brushed aside.

Jihoon shrugged, “There was nothing left to do for me before winter sets in.”

“How long until they arrive?”

“Two days tops or tomorrow if Mingyu hurries a little, depends which road he took.”

A new paper was grabbed from a pile on the ground and the quill started moving over it again as Jeonghan took a few quick notes. “Assembly?”

“Plan it next week. We’ll have enough time to prepare that way.”

Jeonghan dotted something down quickly on yet another piece of paper and rang the bell that sat in front of him. Seconds later the door opened and a servant walked in, collecting the last paper from Jeonghans extended hand before scurrying off, not forgetting to politely nod in Jihoons direction. Jeonghan leaned back in his chair a little. “Do you want them to go on trial?”

Jihoon thought about it for a little, a deep frown embedded onto his forehead, his hands nervously combing through his hair. “No, I don’t know which charges to press onto them. We kind of let the first attack this time around.”

Soonyoung coughed next to him, drawing the attention of both omegas towards him. “You’re talking about Baekhyun and Chanyeol, right?” The two nodded curtly, “I want them in court. Or at least Chanyeol.”

Jihoon gave him a half smile encouraging him to continue. Already knowing the direction his request would take and happily welcoming his suggestion.

“The Exodus pack attacked my own pack last summer. Murdering everyone that came across their path. A few escaped the massacre. They are witnesses of the crime. Jihoon himself has heard Chanyeol talk about giving the command. Baekhyun is in charge of Chanyeol because of this rash decision.”

More papers made their way over to Jeonghans desk, filling the rare empty space. “So charges of murder? Do we have anything against Baekhyun?”

There was a little shake of Jihoons head. “We can’t charge anything. He hasn’t done anything towards our own pack. They entered our territory but that was after we started attacking them. I kind of let them into that direction. However we have refugees from other packs. Maybe we can inquire during the assembly if anyone was witness to Exodus crimes.”

The bell rang once more and another servant swiftly moved in. No papers were waved in front of his face so he stood and waited patiently while Jeonghan wrote at his desk. “Yes sir?” He dared ask as Jeonghan remained silent.

“In seven days I want an assembly in the Great Hall. Please search for former residents of the Holstead, Helstren, Renstraes, Montrae and Vestend packs. Also any Vanghguard pack members are welcomed at the assembly. Tell them we need witnesses of Exodus crimes.”

The man nodded in understanding and accepted a few notes that Jeonghan handed him before disappearing.

“Any other news?” Jeonghan directed himself to Jihoon once more the man was gone from sight.

“I figured out a few Exodus Twelve names. Gathered a little intel here and there but I’m still not clear on what they want. However I’m pretty sure that we have captured two men that know the answers to our questions.”

“But are they going to give them?”

“Unlikely, unless we give them good reason to.”

“Anything that would convince them?”

Silence fell as the two omegas stared at each other in a silent conversation that only the two of them could understand. In the end Jeonghan surrendered and redirected his attention to his paperwork. Jihoon just stood in the middle of the room while Soonyoung kept looking around awkwardly.

“I will leave you two alone.” Feeling the atmosphere in the room tense Soonyoung excused himself. Leaving the two omegas behind. This wasn’t his pack and he shouldn’t get too involved in their decision making. Somehow he momentarily forgot that the two most powerful men of the Grenhil pack were these two omegas. They probably had more to discuss that wasn’t appropriate for his ears to hear.

--- 

Once the alpha was out of hearing range Jeonghan started. “So you travelled with Chanyeol alone for about a month. After that you spend even more time with him. I’m sure that Soonyoung didn’t like it.” Jeonghans voice cut through the silent room.

Jihoon stood there in the middle of the room. Blushing from ear to ear, scandalized look on his face. “Nothing happened.” He stuttered a little and he regretted it instantly as Jeonghan was suddenly up on his feet again. Standing in front of him.

“Did anything happen?”

“Nothing happened with Chanyeol!” Jihoon glared at him now. His face still red but now more in frustration rather than embarrassment.

“Good.” Jeonghan brushed his hair back from his face before casually asking, “And how are things with Soonyoung?”

Back was the blush on Jihoons face. “I…” Jeonghan looked at him expectantly, “I… He isn’t half bad.” He stuttered.

Disappointment drew over Jeonghans face, “That’s everything? Jihoon be honest. You don’t want to repeat the same mistakes that I made.”

Alarmed Jihoon took a better look at Jeonghan, sadness evident in his eyes. “Seungcheol?” A shake of the head was all he got. “Did you…?”

“Jisoo told him.” Jeonghan surrendered, “He said he never realized. How can you not realize it? It hurts Jihoon. What if I didn’t hide from him? Would he still not notice me?” The normal strong Jeonghan was replaced by a person that Jihoon almost didn’t recognize. His usual confidence was lost in a pool of despair and sadness. He seemed broken and lost. “Is there something wrong with me?”

Jihoon felt something break inside of him just then and there. To see the man that he had always admired in such a state of hurt. Without second thought me moved forward, wrapping the other in his arms to comfort him. Hoping that his embrace could take away some of the pain the other felt. “Nothing is wrong with you.” His voice was a soft whisper. “You’re perfect the way you are Jeonghan. Seungcheol is the stupid one, if he can’t see the amazing person in front of him.”

He kept rubbing the others back and Jeonghan broke down completely, crying on the shoulder that was offered to him for the first time in years. And Jihoon let him. Not letting go of the other whispering sweet words of comfort as if the other was still a child. But in his mind Jihoon was cursing at Seungcheol. Trying to figure out ways to make him pay for his deeds.

---  

Mingyu figured that he had been going around in circles for long enough now. The two Exodus members hadn’t realized that he was leading them in circles just yet. Jihoon would’ve had enough time to reach Jeonghan and talk things through first. If he even felt the need to do that. Soonyoung had also disappeared together with the omega and somehow Mingyu knew that they had met up somewhere.

His eyes lingered on the two Exodus men. Their backs were turned towards him so he couldn’t observe their faces but he could see their shoulders hanging in defeat. Baekhyun had it rough. The attack didn’t leave his mind and he kept crying at night. Mingyu had heard him scream last night, afterwards he had seen Chanyeol whisper in his ear, calming him down and keeping watch as he slept.

Mingyu signed to one of his own men that they were going to start moving again as he walked over to Chanyeol. “We’re going to start moving again.” He announced cheerfully. Making the two men stare at him in confusion. “Please keep close to me. Sometimes people can be a little hostile around here when they see strangers.”

As if on cue someone started laughing in the bushes near them. “You’re talking about me aren’t you?” A woman clad in all grey clothing appeared.

“Long time no see Nancy.” He greeted her and see waved at him in response.

“Since when am I a hostile person.” She exclaimed dramatically, “I’m only doing my job. And if I might note, I’m doing a terrific job on it too!” A wink was send in the direction of the two Exodus members who got even more confused now. “Where is the little one? Last report said he was traveling with you.”

“Little one has gotten away once again. Pretty sure he’s facing the blonde danger right now.” Mingyu chirped. “Let’s see if he can survive that.”

Nancy seemed satisfied with that answer as she ogled the two others closer now. “So who’re the fish over here?” She crouched down next to Baekhyun, grinning at Chanyeol who tensed up visibly. “Oh my, you’re so protective aren’t ya?”

Mingyu grabbed her shoulder, “You won’t win so please don’t encourage him to fight you.”

“Boring…” Nancy sighed as she stood up once again. “He’s cute though.” She said wiggling her eyebrows at Chanyeol. Who was suddenly grinning widely at the compliment.

“Thanks for the memo. Please don’t boost his ego even more. It’s big enough already.” Baekhyun remarked from the side, causing Chanyeols smile to faulter. “Besides he’s not up for grabs. He’s mine. Stay back.” The last words were almost growled at Nancy and if her compliment got Chanyeol to smile than right now he seemed to be floating inside heaven.

Mingyu rubbed his temples in frustration. “Can we move on now please?” He exclaimed. “Why are you even here Nancy? Isn’t your post located more towards the east?”

The pretty woman smiled again. “I’ve gotten relocated as you can see and I got promoted.” She pointed at the silver leave crest on her chest. Mingyu whistled in appreciation.

“Good for you! Any interesting news that I should know about before entering the city?”

“Ehm…” Nancy thought about it for a bit. “Last thing I heard is that Chan is returning from Strenyard. Jeonghan has love struggles. You know were Seokmin is. Seungkwan is still flirting around with that alpha. So that’s the news about our Counsel.” She thought a bit longer and suddenly remembered something else. “Ah Seokmin reported that the Exodus army has started scrambling. The-”

Mingyu saw Chanyeols pay full attention suddenly and he knew to cut Nancy of then and there. “Thank you Nancy. That’s enough. I’ll hear the rest once we arrive in town.” Nancy saluted once more towards him before disappearing into the woods again and Mingyu signed the others to finally start moving. They still had a long day ahead of them.

---

It was early in the afternoon when they laid eyes on old Grenhil. The wooden town with it’s treehouses ever so peaceful, but awfully quiet as well. Mingyu let his eyes roam around and saw everyone anxiously eyeing Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Even here, in the middle of their safe territory the Exodus pack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter