Chapter twenty-six

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter twenty-six: To end it all

After those words Jihoon disappeared from the Exodus camp and found himself surrounded by the darkness of the forest once more. Embracing the safety that the shadows of the large trees offered. Not much sunlight made it’s way down to the ground, most of it was blocked by the green giants, shrouding the Grenhillian omega as he kept a close watch on the Exodus camp.

There had only been minimal movement in the camp. Jihoon had seen Baekhyun try and talk to some of the men. He obviously wanted to start moving again, but the foot soldiers were having none of it. A lot of them were scared. Afraid of the dark trees that surrounded them. And time kept passing by, days became days and weeks but no notable changes happened to the camp. Now autumn was starting to end and Jihoon saw Baekhyun emerge from his tent once more.

Even from his high stance far away from the actual speech Jihoon could see that most payed little attention to Baekhyun. His serious demeanour not able to uplift the spirits of the soldiers, unable to get them motivated for whatever task he had for them. The slight drop in his shoulders getting worse as the time went on. At the back of the crowd that had gathered around him Jihoon watched the first men leave.

Jihoon had witnessed it all these past weeks, the men that went on their respective ways. Dropping out from the army that kept shrinking in size. The Grenhillians had kept their attacks in the forest going. Right now no one from the Exodus pack was allowed to wander off too far into the forest. In some way Jihoon had already accomplished part of his plan. This part of Grenhil Forest would be safe from the Exodus men. Most were simply to afraid to enter the woods but it wasn’t enough just yet. For one Jihoon felt responsible towards Strenyard. Jeonghan had messaged them about a few setbacks in strengthening the town but also about how reliable all the Strenyard men were. As it was right now, Jihoon couldn’t just leave them alone.

And so he had to hope that the second leg of his plan would still come into fruition. Admitted that it had already taken a lot more time that he himself had anticipated.

Jihoon had hoped that his words would trigger Chanyeols ego and pride, making him enter the forest himself. As a result Baekhyun would’ve surely followed him, because he had to keep the alpha in check. And what was an army without it’s commanders?  Especially if that army had no motivation left to stay where it was.

Movement in the camp distracted him from his own thoughts. Chanyeol stood next to Baekhyun. Screaming something. And it had more effect on the men than anything Baekhyun had said in his half hour long speech before. It ended quickly as cheers arose from the men. Whatever Chanyeol had said or done. It worked miracles. The men were now roaring loudly in appreciation and Jihoon had to know what had happened in camp.

As a swift shadow he moved through the trees and slowly climbed down. His short stature unseen by the Exodus guards. Camp was buzzing with excitement. Once Jihoon reached the ground he snuck closer. Hoping to catch someone talking about what Chanyeol said.

He was lucky.

“Are you sure you want to join?” Two men were conversing near him. “That place is dangerous…”

“The Henchman is right.” Another person walked in. “We need to know who attacked us. We are the Exodus pack. Not some scared little bunch of omegas.”

Jihoon repressed his urge to hit the alpha who was now standing near him as well. Still no one noticed the man lurking in the shadows of the bushes. As his coat of several green and grey colours camouflaged him well.

“So you are going to volunteer?”

“Chanyeol himself is going. Hell even Baekhyun is going.” The man huffed, “I’m not going to be some kind of while that angsty omega is walking through that damned forest. Cursed or not. I’m going in!”

Jihoon almost had to do a victory dance in the bushes but he contained himself. In the end his words had affected the Exodus Twelve members. At least that is what he liked to think.

He had to continue his stake out for another long hour since he couldn’t move from his spot without being seen. During that time he learned more about the plans of the Exodus army. And also a lot about all the failed relationships of the annoying alpha that as a result disliked omegas. Who knows, maybe he could use it as black mail one day.

And so with his muscles sore from his stake out at the Exodus camp, his hands cold, his feet wet and his mood sour Jihoon went on his way back towards the Grenhil outpost that served as their base of operations.

---

“So…” Mingyu stared from Soonyoung to Jihoon and back. “That settles it?”

“HELL NO!” Both shouted at the same time.

Mingyu sighed, “Well you’ve got to compromise somehow… According to Jihoon we only have a few days left before they start moving. We need to prepare.”

“That’s what I said!” Jihoon was getting more and more worked up. Not noticing Soonyoungs face getting more clouded with every word he said. “I will go with a few men and we just take them out one by one. No problem.”

“Jihoon you don’t even know how many people there will be!” The two were going head to head. Both were now standing in front of each other. “You’re not going there with only Mingyu and Seokmin. That doesn’t count as a few men. And that is final.”

Soonyoungs words only angered the omega further, “And who are you to command me like that? Did you forget who I am? You don’t have a say in this Soonyoung. This is MY home.” He was yelling now.

“Then think for once.” Soonyoung was just as agitated, “If anything happens Grenhil is screwed even more. You can’t just dump every responsibility on Jeonghan Jihoon! Especially if you plan to take two other Counselman with you.”

Mingyu decided to step in. Literally. As he grabbed the short omega and pulled him down onto his chair once more. He lowered his face to Jihoons height. “Jihoon he is right.”

“Oh great now you’re on his side as well.” Jihoon remarked sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

“What is so bad about taking more people with us?” Soonyoung let himself fall down into his own chair again. This whole discussion was unnecessary if you asked him. “You can rely on others you know…” His voice got quieter as he spoke the next words, “you can rely on me…”

Jihoons head whipped up and he stared at the other. The sincerity and hurt in his eyes evident. “I’m sorry…” He whispered.

Mingyu felt save enough to slightly pat him on his head in order to comfort him a little. “At least listen to Soonyoungs plan Jihoon.” He directed a soft smile in his leaders direction. The omega nodded but kept his head down afterwards. Not daring to look Soonyoungs way.

“First of all we need more information. Let someone else go into the camp and notify us of any changes.” Soonyoung looked at Jihoon for any rejection or confirmation but there was no reaction yet. “It doesn’t matter if we attack them right away or not.” Now Jihoon was about to protest but Soonyoung quickly cut him off before he could start. “Jihoon if they march towards Vesthil we simply gather the townspeople. Whatever force they take into the forest I doubt it will be more than the villages population. Besides they don’t know the terrain. That is kinda important ya know?”

Mingyu nodded. “So what do you want to do after that?”

“We obviously ambush them.” Soonyoung stated sure of himself now. “Knock ‘em out.”

Jihoon finally mustered the courage to Soonyoung in the eyes once more. “Till so far alright. But what are we going to do with all those men?”

The Grenhil pack normally took in the men that they took out in the middle of the forest. Bringing them to Grenhil to live life among the Grenhillians. The way they treated the Exodus scouts was already quite different from their normal activities.

“As far as I know there are only two men of importance.” Mingyu joined in again. “Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun. The two members of the Exodus Twelve and the commanders of the army. Without them the army is pretty much useless.”

Jihoon nodded, “True. Without them the army will likely disband as soon as they feel safe enough for the wrath of the Exodus Twelve.”

“Well then we only need to take two captives.” Soonyoung beamed happily.

Mingyu and Jihoon exchanged a worried expression. “What are you going to do with all the men that are coming along with them? Leave them in the forest? That way they still pose a danger.”

“Why not bring them back to the edge of the forest while keeping them under,” Soon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter