Chapter twenty-three

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter twenty-three: Ice blue eyes in the dark

Mingyu shifted upwards rapidly hearing a faint melodious sound in the distance. It couldn’t be right? Yet the sound was echoed by others over and over until someone came barging through the door of the outpost.

“He’s back!”

Mingyu couldn’t help the soft smile on his face as he watched the man that rushed in. He was clearly out of breath, he probably ran towards the outpost in his excitement. “Are you sure? It is the melody but it could also be someone else of the Council.”

“An omega has entered the far east side of the forest, slightly north of Vesthil. We tracked him into the forest. He was with the Exodus army. I am pretty sure.”

Mingyu nodded at the man, who had finally recovered a bit. “Thank you for rushing over. I will take it from here.” He called over to the other man that was still sleeping in the hut to accompany him.

“Where are we going?”

“We have a new mission it seems. Don’t ask questions just come with me already and hurry!”

Mingyu grabbed his own bow and sword from the cabinet and ran to the door, in his haste he almost fell off the platform on which the hut was build. That wouldn’t have been pretty. Behind him he could hear someone snickering at his clumsiness and he threw a dirty look over his shoulder, effectively silencing the man standing behind him.

“I’m good to go.”

---

Jihoon heard the whistles resounding from all around him and he felt a surge of pride swell in his chest. The Grenhil Pack really was amazing, their ancestors had thought of communication methods that wouldn’t draw too much attention. But the Exodus scout did become a bit stressed over the sudden sounds that echoed throughout the forest. Time to act quickly before he would alarm others.

With skills that he had honed for years in the forest he silently made his way further through the forest. But he blocked his scent again and  crept slowly towards the scared scout. No sound was heard except for the ongoing melody that repeated over and over. It must be nerve wrecking if you wouldn’t know what it meant.

He was really close to the poor Exodus scout now. Only five feet separated them and Jihoon found it time to act. Poor little Exodus alpha.

“You have entered somewhere you shouldn’t.” His voice was warped, full of breath, hitching between every word. If he believed in ghosts this was how he figured they would sound. The alpha turned around and that was the moment in which Jihoon let his scent spread through the air, he blinked once and suddenly his eyes were a striking ice blue colour, reflecting dangerously in the moonlit night.

That was the last thing the alpha would see before the world around him was clouded black and he passed out. In his terror of the sudden omega appearing behind him he had failed to notice the needle that shot from the dark into his arm. It took ten seconds before the sedation did it’s job and after that the poor scout fell down. Sinking in deep nothing for the next ten hours. The only thing he would remember once he awoke from the stupor would be the scent of an omega and ice blue eyes that glared at him from the darkness.

---

“Where are we even going Mingyu?”

Mingyu signalled for the ninth time that he should be quiet but it had been half an hour of walking or better running through the dark night and he had enough of it. The tall alpha hadn’t told him anything but he was continuously whistling, from time to time other Grenhillians would appear out of the shadows and point them in a new direction. Only for Mingyu to signal him to increase his speed and to be honest, he had enough of it. He was very close to just turning around and returning to the outpost. There was only one problem. He didn’t know where he had to go. The darkness had numbed his senses.

“Can you at least tell me something instead of dragging me through the night like this?” He kept whining and he knew that he was annoying the tall man yet he didn’t feel any remorse for it. Serves him right for waking me up.

Finally Mingyu stopped in his tracks. “Shhh!”

He was about to open his mouth again but a hand covered his mouth. Mingyu was signalling even more violently now and pointed to his right side. His gaze followed the direction and in the darkness his eyes were able to make out the lone silhouette of a person among the trees. Now he noticed the sudden lack of presence coming from Mingyu as well as the sudden disappearance of his scent.

It almost felt as if they were under attack, with the suspense filling the air. He felt his heartbeat increase as his eyes followed Mingyu as he sneaked up to the unknown person. There was no struggle as the man dropped down to the ground when Mingyu shot him down from a safe distance. After having witnessed the effect of the little darts multiple times he knew that the man would be out for at least eight hours. But instead of dragging the unconscious man back to Vesthil as they would’ve normally done Mingyu just started gesturing to him that they had to move further. Albeit a little bit confused he still followed the giant alpha.

---

Jihoon heard them coming before he saw them and clicked his tongue disapprovingly. “I can hear you coming from miles away. You really need more training if it is like this.”

He turned around to face the two men that were staring at him sheepishly.

“Sorry boss.” One of them apologized but Jihoon shook his head.

“Don’t be, just see this as a chance to increase your own skills. Instead of wasting time being sorry how about you tell me where we are.”

“Sorry!”

Jihoon sighed and the man quickly placed his hands over his mouth. After a while he removed them and he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter