Chapter nineteen

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter nineteen: Do you play?

Jihoon swung his guitar over his back in one swift movement as he made his way through the bushes. The days of traveling had taken it’s toll on his already small body and he felt the fatigue creeping up on him. His eyes kept wandering over the scenery in front of him, trying to find anything suspicious in the seemingly peaceful group of buildings in front of him. One month worth of walking, sneaking, talking to strangers and most of all avoiding possible dangers made his limps ache, his muscles felt sore and the thought of a warm bed was very appealing to him. But not yet! He urged himself to take a better look. Until now he had been safe in his travels. First he had gone south towards the old encampment of the Vanghguard pack. Following the tracks surrounding the camp had led him towards his first encounter with the  Exodus packmembers and it hadn’t been a pleasant meeting. His right side had been bruised for the next week and he still felt one sore spot on his lower back. They sure packed a good punch, but he couldn’t cover the devilish grin that was gracing his face as he recalled those events. He still beat them. All twelve of them. But that had been over three weeks ago and right now he was traveling to the far north. 

After Jihoon deemed the little inn safe enough he made his way over towards the door and knocked to gain access. The innkeeper was surprised to see the small figure standing on his front porch, but his initial hesitation to invite the short male in vanished when he spotted the wooden instrument on his back.

“Do you play?” The obviously nervous man asked him.

“I do indeed play,” the words left his mouth as if he had done this his whole life, “but I play much better with some food in front of me and a warm bed to sleep in for the night.” He offered the innkeeper his sweetest smile and the man instantly moved out of the way.

“I don’t want to brag or anything, but my wife does make the best stew in the whole northern mountain range and I can offer you a place to sleep. Let’s say the better you play, the better you sleep.” The man offered him his hand that he gladly shook.

“We sir, have a deal!” He walked in and searched for a seat in the already jam packed inn. The place was definitely blooming in business. But knowing the peoples habits, a few nice songs to sing along to would make business even better for the owner. The man in question was already rolling another barrel of his favourite liquor into the room, ready to serve his costumers all the drinks they would need this evening.

A woman spotted him while he was looking around for a place to sit and she moved out of her seat while signing towards him. “Do you still need a place to sit bard?” He nodded his head and offered a thankful smile as he took her seat on the bench. Taking his guitar from his back and swinging it over his lap he let his hand travel over the chords that he knew so well. The sound of music turned several heads into his direction.

“Are you going to play sir?”

“Aight I am.”

“Do you know any good old tales?”

“More than my young age  might let on.” He gave the old lady next to him a wink, which caused the man next to her to laugh while quickly pulling his wife closer to him. 

“Ay Old Kwon, give this man some beer!” The man urged the innkeeper, apparently called Old Kwon, who was already on his way with a pint in his hand.

“On it.” Old Kwon answered as he gracefully hold the drink in front of Jihoon. 

With a pleased nod of his head he took the pint from the man and took a little sip of the drink, “You serve a fine beer sir! I am sure that this will aid me in my storytelling.”

“It better!” The innkeeper agreed with a smirk. 

And so he started his evening filled with music and laughter. The long journey had thought him how to play with a crowd and which songs to play when. Old Kwon served him his stew and he had to acknowledge that the cook had done a very good job. Right now he was taking a small break to enjoy his beer and he was soon joined by multiple men that crowded him with compliments. The alcohol had already intoxicated most of them, which was quite helpful in his next task. Gaining information. So far his search for intel on the Exodus pack had led him from the southern ends of Grenhil forest slowly towards the north. Although he had learned a lot about the Exodus pack, there was still a lot to learn.

According to his sources the Exodus pack had split off from their original pack around seven years ago and after that they had quickly taken over multiple lands in quite an aggressive fashion. They were feared more than any other pack. But what surprised him was the overall positivity that the people had about the previous pack of Exodus. Even the first two years of Exodus had been quite peaceful, it was only five years ago that they had started conquering land after land. But in some way  they were prosperous and they brought their wealth with them wherever they went. Yet the cost  of this prosperity was high. Too high. The remains of multiple massacres were scattered across the land. Those who stood in the way of the Exodus pack were quickly eliminated. Their goal was a mystery. No one knew why the Exodus pack was this keen on conquering more land. Their old pack was known for their peaceful ways. At one point Jihoon had thought about traveling towards the original pack, but the journey would take too long and time was the one resource that he couldn’t waste.

“May I know your name bard?”

A man interrupted his thoughts and his head flew up to meet a pair of curious eyes.

“Woozi.” He had chosen to use the name that he had given Soonyoung. His own name somehow didn’t feel safe enough. “I am no bard though, not really. I am only traveling up north in search of my lost family members.” The small lie left his lips as it had done multiple times in the past and had the same effect it always had. The women around him ushering sighs and the atmosphere dropping.

“I didn’t mean to offend you Woozi.” The man clasped his hands together as he apologized.

“None taken, you couldn’t know and I don’t really mind telling the story. It might help me find them if they know I am looking for them.” The attention of the tables surrounding him was now also focussed on him. “Our pack was attacked by the Exodus pack a year ago. Ever since then I have been traveling in order to find them.”

Multiple people turned away, their faces covered with pity. Old Kwon had joined their table and was the first person to speak up. “I doubt that you will find them young man. The Exodus pack attacks ruthlessly. I would give up on finding them if I were you.” The words that he left unspoken were left up in the air. Everyone knew. Most people don’t survive encounters with the Exodus pack warriors.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter