Chapter seventeen

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter seventeen: The secret of Old Grenhil

A cough in the back of the wagon scared the living creeps out of him as his head snapped into the direction of the sound. Finally he noticed the pair of eyes that was staring at him.

“Took you long enough Woozi.” There was only one person that called him that.

“Soonyoung.” Soonyoungs eyes that were focussing on him in the dark shined bright gold.

“Yo!” The wide smile on the tallers face annoyed Jihoon. Why was the idiot here… “I thought you didn’t have any supplies for a journey.” The answer came as if Soonyoung read his thoughts. Jihoon remained speechless as he stared at Soonyoung. “Are you that surprised? You hurt me.”

“How?” Jihoon stammered, “Why?” He left no time for Soonyoung to answer between his own words. His mind was running circles trying to figure out what he missed in his plan. How was the alpha able to figure it out that easily. If one person behaved like an airhead it had to be Soonyoung. It just didn’t make any sense to the short tempered omega.

“Honestly if you travel enough it is quite obvious. You don’t like fighting in wolf-form, none of you Grenhilians seems to take a particular liking to it actually. So you at least needed weapons. But all the weapons we had were still in their original places. Even for the travel towards Grenhil to gather weapons I figured that you’d feel safer if you could protect yourself better. Honestly Woozi it was quite predictable.” The explanation didn’t ease Jihoons mind at all.

“So what now? You know that I need supplies and went to the place where I would likely search for them. What is next?”

Soonyoung titled his head slightly. “I want to come with you.” His face lighting up in a smug grin.

But Jihoon wasn’t having it. “No.” Was his simple answer. Nothing more, nothing less.

“Yes. I want to see those bastards too.” Soonyoung still looking straight at him, but his aggravation was already starting to show. He wasn’t used to being denied what he wanted by others, except for Jisoo. Jisoo could deny him anything but he was more of an exception.  

“You are going to blow my cover as soon as anyone of importance walks in Soonyoung. Who is going to stop you from trying to rip off someone’s head?” Honestly Jihoon knew just what Soonyoung would do. The result wouldn’t be pretty for any of them. And if there was a life or death situation he still preferred life. An attack on your own clan members in your own territory wouldn’t taken lightly by any pack. Revenge was a nasty concept, but it was quite prevalent among their societies. It was the driving force for Soonyoung himself right now and it didn’t aid him in making rational decisions. “You are unable to think clear with your mind clouded by wrath. I won’t take you with me. Besides, an alpha entering enemy territory? That is just asking for trouble. Unlike my own pack members you are unable to hide your scent. You can’t pretend to be a beta.”

In any other occasion Soonyoung might’ve realised the flaws in his plan. Just like Jihoon could see the dangers of his own strategy.

“Well you’re not going to come very far without weapons, clothes or basic supplies. Unless you want to travel in your wolf form. Which I doubt considering the fact that you can’t hide your scent like that and because I believe you’re significantly weaker when you use it.” Soonyoung was b with self confidence as he was talking. Despite his prior knowledge of Jihoon he failed to see the biggest fault in his plan. And no, that wasn’t Jihoons refusal to travel together.

With a sigh Jihoon crouched further down in the cart, disappearing temporarily from Soonyoungs sight due to his small frame. Those milliseconds were enough.

Two smooth jumps over boxes and crates brought him right next to the tall masculine alpha. Out of a pocket of his belt he grabbed a small knife that he ever so carefully pressed onto the alphas unprotected throat. “You didn’t think this through Soonyoung.” His free hand moved further, taking one of Soonyoungs arms and pressing it in a tight hold behind his back while his other hand was still securing the knife in its previous position. “I am not in my wolf form right now and as you might’ve noticed I am armed. I must admit it’s a bit scarce but it still counts.”

You see, Soonyoung made a few small but important mistakes. First of all he kept talking and got distracted by his own aggravated mind. Second he forgot the basic knowledge of a warrior. Never underestimate your opponent and never ever think that they are unarmed. Third the crowded small space proved much easier for Jihoon to manoeuvre than for Soonyoung.

“You won’t.” Soonyoung whispered with the knife still pressed against him. The blade slightly scraping his skin as he talked, creating a small cut.

Jihoon rolled his eyes, he was right. He wouldn’t hurt him. Not now. Not when they needed each other in order to fight the Exodus pack. “True. Still that doesn’t mean that I will just let you go like this.” To illustrate his words he put a bit more pressure on the arm that he was still holding behind Soonyoungs back, leading to the other to hiss at the sharp pain that ran along his arm and shoulder. “You’re still not coming with me. Stay in Grenhil, try to find more members of your pack. If these men survived I am sure that there are more out there.” His voice was surprisingly sweet and soothing as he spoke. “Learn a new tactic or two. Than maybe one day you can beat me or maybe you can join me next time…”

Soonyoungs attention was grabbed by the last line. It implied them staying together for longer than he had anticipated. Or maybe it was exactly what he had hoped for, all he could hope for really. He had seen Grenhil and had fallen in love with the place. With the forest itself and with it's inhabitants even though he knew little to nothing about the pack. In his heart he hoped he could stay. His own Vanghguard pack was nothing now compared to it’s former glory. So many great warriors had left on his journey north over the years. Staying behind in the lands they had conquered.  That was when it hit him. More people for their cause! They had merged with other packs and chosen to leave their traveling days behind but if he asked maybe they would join him once again to revenge their old friends.

“Next time I will join you.” The knife on his throat was lifted and his arm was released. He turned around to face the smaller omega in front of him. A soft smile caused Jihoons eyes to shape two small crescents and created dimples in his cheeks as it got wider. Soonyoung reached behind him and took a bag from a crate. “There you go. I think these are all necessities. You will go to Grenhil first I guess?”

Jihoon nodded and took it gratefully. “Please don’t tell the others.”

“I won’t. In Grenhil they don’t even know about your great plan yet. It should be easy to get what you need.”

No more words were exchanged as Jihoon turned around and made his way out of the supplies carriage. As he set his first foot out of the wagon he heard a soft voice behind him. “Stay safe Woozi and stay in contact whenever you can.”

Pushing the hood of his cloak further over his head Jihoon continued walking. “I will.”

---

Jeonghan felt like he was slowly going crazy. Sure he had been hiding his scent during the time they had travelled together. So Seungcheol couldn’t smell him. But destiny had to have some sort of other mechanic to recognize your fated one right? Fate is a joke, he thought, kicking a little pebble with his foot.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter