01.

Eclipse

 

   Hansol taps his foot to the rhythm, head banging with the lyrics as his fingers scrolls down his twitter feed. A car stops in front of him and he looks up, hand taking off one of his earphones in the process. He sees Seungcheol in the driver seat and a smile makes its way across his face as he slings his bag on his shoulder and stands up. He walks towards the cat and opens the door to the passenger seat.

   "Am I late?" Hansol shrugs and throws the bag to the backseat before taking a seat beside the black-haired boy.

   "Nah. Class just got dismissed earlier today."

   "It's a relief, then." Seungcheol steps on the pedal and the car accelerates forward, moving away from the old, deserted bus stop.

   Hansol fumbles with the radio stations and Seungcheol glances at him. ''If you're looking for your usual dose of Drake, it's 97.8."

   The hoarse voice of the male DJ fills the car and Hansol grins in victory. "Thanks, hyung," He looks out the window and realises that Seungcheol has taken a different route. "But where are we going?"

   Seungcheol raises one of his eyebrows. "You don't know?"

   "Know what?"

   "There'll be an eclipse near Hongdae and we're heading there. I thought Jisoo had told you yesterday?"

   Hansol leans on the seat and tries to remember the conversation he had with the cute LA guy but ends up with nothing. "Maybe he did or maybe he didn't. You know that I have memories like a goldfish so it didn't really matter even if he did."

   Seungcheol scoffs as he looks at the sky, the sun a little dim than usual - a sign of an eclipse. "Whatever you say, kid."

 

   Hansol gets out of the black Skyline and glances at his watch. A quarter past two. A lot of people has gathered around the area; men, women, children, photographers, scientists, white-collar workers on their day-off, students, researchers, normal citizens. Some even bring their own telescopes for the occasion. Seungcheol scans the crowd and makes out familliar faces near the row of trees. One of them notices him and Hansol and waves at them to join them. Seungcheol takes Hansol's hand and they walk into the crowd.

   Hansol curses when his shoulders hit others' and when he almost trips over one of the researchers' telescope. He adverts his gaze towards Seungcheol's hand gripping his and towards his broad back. If the taller guy heard his curses, he did not say anything. They walk past a stall selling 'eclipse-specially-made sunglasses' as what the sign calls it and he quickly looks away when the middle-aged man catches his eyes hovering over the sign with a 'what-the-' expression plastered on his face.

   They stop walking when they reach the little group forming around a shady tree and as soon as Seungcheol lets go of his now-slightly-sweaty hand, he is enveloped into a bone-crashing hug by Jeonghan. Hansol struggles to breathe as he flaps his arms around in order for the older to get the hint and lets him go.

   "Geez, Jeonghan. He's going to die if you keep hugging him like that." Seungcheol says and the brunette reluctantly lets Hansol go. Hansol coughs a few times as he staggers backwards and accidentally steps on someone's shoe. He quickly turns around and looks up; eyes wide with slight guilt when he hears the little wince of pain.

   ", I'm so sorr-" The words are caught in his throat as he properly looks at the tall man. Slightly-tanned skin, big, warm brown eyes, tall nose, lips streches into a beautiful smile that shows pearly-white teeth and sharp canines, very sharp jaw; Hansol struggles to not stare at his firm biceps.

   "No, no, it's alright." Despite his handsome features, his voice is a little childlike and Hansol finds it cute.

   "Mingyu?" The guy looks past Hansol's shoulders and grins.

   "Wonwoo! How have you been?" Hansol steps aside to let the both of them shake hands. As he watches them exchange greetings and starts a small chat, realisation hit him like a train. He gazes at Mingyu in shock as his ears barely catches Wonwoo's question.

   "Where's Seungkwan?" Hansol holds his breath as he waits for Mingyu's reply.

   "He's buying the sunglasses for the eclipse at one of the stalls- oh! There he is!"

   Hansol hesitatedly turns and feels his heart flutters at the view. Dressed in an oversized striped white-and-blue shirt drapped over his shoulders and a tight black jean, Seungkwan looks magnificent. The latter notices that they are looking at him and smiles warmly. Hansol forces himself to look away and finds himself making an eye contact with Jisoo. Jisoo has a concerned expression on his face and Hansol manages a smile to encourage him that he is fine although he knows that the older could see through his lie.

(Hansol leaned his back against the locker and let out a shaky sigh." I know, hyung but-"

"Then why didn't you confess?" Jisoo's eyes were fixed on him - sharp but warm.

"I-" Hansol ran a hand across his hair before putting it down on his side and curled it into a fist. "I guess that I'm a coward."

Silence hung in the air before Jisoo speaks again. "You know that it's already too late, right?"

Hansol felt his lips turn dry and stomach sinking at the words. "Wh- what's too late?"

Jisoo exhaled and casted his eyes downwards, avoiding Hansol's eyes. Hansol gulped as he felt his hands start shaking.

"Seungkwan already have a boyfriend.")

   Hansol is snapped out of his thoughts as he hears murmurs and gasps fill the area. "The eclipse has started!" He hears a girl exclaims excitedly before she records the phenomenon with her phone. Jeonghan taps his shoulder lightly and hands him a sunglasses which he accepts gladly.

   As Hansol is about to put on his glasses, he feels a tug on his pinky. He looks at his finger and realises that the black string tied on his pinky slowly turns red as the area gradually dissolves into the darkness. The black string gets longer before turning after a few seconds as his hand trembles in anticipation.

   "It's so beautiful, right Hansol?" Receiving no reply, Jeonghan turns around. He tilts his head in confusion when he sees the boy is looking at his finger instead of the eclipse; his glasses still in his hand. "Hey, why aren't you looking at-" A hand reaches over Jeonghan's, preventing him from interrupting Hansol. He turns around and realises that it is Jisoo.

   "Why-"

   "Don't." Jisoo shakes his head and leads Jeonghan closer to him and Seungcheol. 

   Hansol's eyes travel with the black string and feels his heart stops when it wraps around another person's pinky. It turns red in a few seconds and he slowly looks up. Like how eclipses are formed; instead of the sun facing the earth, the moon stands between them and Hansol realises that Seungkwan is more beautiful up-close, with the darkness casting a shadow on half of his face.

   "-Hey, Hansol, are you crying?" Wonwoo puts his hand lightly on the shorter's boy back, rubbing small circles to comfort him. Hansol can feel the worried gazes on him as he shakes his head, trying to put on a smile though his heart feels like it is being ripped apart.

   "I'm alright," he manages to croak out, fingers busily wiping his flowing tears. "I'm alright."

   "I'm alright." Hansol said as he tried to cover the bruise on his knee from Seokmin.

   "I'm alright." Hansol said as he went out of the class with Chan; his report book in his hand.

   "I'm alright." Hansol said as he waved Eunwoo away; his other hand under his nose, blood dripping from the space between his fingers.

   "I'm alright." Hansol smiled at Jeonghan as he tried to erase the scene where Seungkwan accepted Wonho's gift during Valentine's Day.

   "I'm alright." Hansol said to Seungcheol as they walked past Seungkwan giggling happily in another man's arms.

   "I'm alright," Hansol smiled trying to wave away Jisoo's concern. "I'm really alright. What's his name, by the way?"

   Jisoo sighed. "Mingyu. Kim Mingyu, one of the guys from Wonwoo's literature class."

   One of Hansol's tears falls to the string around his pinky. The tear makes it turns redder. 

   It shines.

   But then it becomes dim.

   Dimmer.

   Dark.

   Black.