Finale

Two Princes

Two Princes

In the distant future, Asia had gone back to its roots and was run by royalty. Each respective country had a King or Prince to rule the land. It was a fairly peaceful period, each royal family got along in one way or another and had an annual ball where each member of each country’s royal family got together and had fun and talked about how to keep things peaceful. Such event had been happening for close to a century and had become a custom. They would push aside the language barrier and even learn and teach each other's languages for future events and meetings.

Alas, such good things must come to an end. Just after the 50th annual ball, a war broke out between several countries. The following ball was down two countries, and this number slowly increased as the years passed. Soon, the ball only brought together 4 countries; China, Korea, Japan, and Thailand. Things between Korea and Japan were tense, but the King of Japan still decided to send out his sons and daughters, just to see if Korea had plans to make amends, to the one-hundred-and-seventh annual ball.

That year's ball was within Korea; the tenth time for such an event to happen. Due to this special number, the ball was especially extravagant. The food was handmade by the Queen herself, Queen Boa, and they’d hired the best performers in their land to sing, dance, and entertain. Exclusive rooms with special themes lined the palace, all labelled in all four languages.

Many of the attendees knew each other quite well, but that year, Korea and China both sent in two people who had never met, just to see if they’d get along if they were both crowned King at the same time, given they were around the same age. Communication was key in keeping the peace, so since Korea had already accidentally rocked Japan’s boat, King Kangta wanted to be extremely careful with the other countries, especially China, which they were geographically the closest to.

Prince Zitao was a feisty one, but he secretly just wanted to be loved. Honestly, he probably only agreed to go so he could get free food, but the prospect of meeting new people excited him as well. This wasn’t his first ball, but with how many Princes and Princesses there seemed to be, he knew he’d be up for some fun. Maybe he’d even get to show off his martial arts skills, which he did often even just to commoners in the middle of random villages back home.

Prince Jongdae got along with everyone. You could spot him in any crowd by his jubilant laughter, or even sometimes his amazing singing voice. His feline-like features made him very popular with the princesses, though he never seemed interested in a relationship. However, he was quite the trickster, so the attendees often have to be on their toes when he’s at the parties. Luckily, this was only his third party. However, the other people who hadn’t attended the three times Prince Jongdae was in attendance were in for a surprise.

Especially Prince Zitao, the clueless boy he was. His Korean was lacklustre, so he found it hard to understand fastly spoken Korean. As well, while Prince Jongdae had learned Mandarin, Thai, and Japanese through mandatory tutoring, he much preferred confusing people with his fast Korean. He often got reprimanded for it, but as long as he got a good laugh from the expressions on his victims face, he was pleased.

Prince Zitao was his first victim. One, because he had never seen the male and figured the boy didn’t know much Korean, and two, because he was quite handsome and Prince Jongdae was intrigued. Prince Jongdae waltzed up to the Chinese prince, who had darker skin than Prince Jongdae had ever seen on Chinese royalty. Most were intimidated by Zitao’s intense eyes, but Prince Jongdae was not.

“Hello!” Prince Jongdae started casually. “I’m Prince Jongdae from Korea! Nice to meet you!”

Prince Zitao blinked rapidly and paused to mentally translate Korean in his head and think of the reply. “Uh- hi! I am…Prince Zitao. Representing of China.”

Prince Jongdae laughed gleefully at Prince Zitao’s struggle. “Your accent is cute. And your Korean isn’t bad.”

Prince Zitao’s eyes lit up after processing the compliment. “R-really? Thank you! I have practiced much.”

Prince Jongdae paused. This Prince had genuinely tried to learn the language and probably had to practice all 3 of the other languages in order to be able to talk to everyone. Meanwhile, Prince Jongdae was trying to be funny by only speaking in Korean to literally everyone despite knowing enough of all 3 other languages. He couldn’t tease such a genuine boy.

With that plan out the window, Prince Jongdae figured the next best option was to just make friends and help Prince Zitao improve his Korean. And that was how the two princes first met. Prince Jongdae spent the rest of the party with Prince Zitao, introducing him to people and teaching him Korean, and even some of the other languages. Prince Zitao even tried teaching Prince Jongdae Mandarin.

Every party after that, Prince Zitao insisted on going as a representative, hoping Prince Jongdae would do the same. Soon, it had been 3 years since they first met and the 3rd year in a row which both went to the ball together. They often wrote letters between the times and were already trying to negotiate times out of the year where they could meet in person.

“Ge!” Prince Zitao jumped out from behind the lost looking Korean Prince.

How Prince Jongdae hadn’t seen the taller Prince or felt his presence was beyond Prince Zitao but he laughed in amusement when the Korean Prince spun around in shock before hitting Prince Zitao in the chest. Prince Zitao continued laughing, muttering a mixture of Mandarin and Korean in what seemed to be an apology.

“Aish you.” Prince Jongdae sighed. “I was looking for you. Were you hiding the whole time?”

He spoke in a mixture of Korean and Mandarin, which most people would have found confusing, but Prince Zitao loved it. If Prince Jongdae accidentally said a Mandarin word wrong or a Korean word Prince Zitao didn’t know, the Chinese Prince would speak up. It was a lesson for both of them if they spoke that way.

Prince Zitao grinned mischievously and Prince Jongdae just shook his head and hit the former again. “Do you want to walk around outside the party? We can sneak out. Or explore the palace? I’ve been to this one a few times so I’m sure we won't get too lost. I’m friends with one of the Japanese princes, so we should be fine even if we do get lost. The tension between Japan and Korea has lessened so we will be fine.”

Prince Zitao blinked rapidly, taking in all of the words just spewed at him. Most of it was in Korean, and he was able to understand some of it, but not too much. Instead of responding, he just smiled and nodded like he knew what he was getting into. Alas, he was not prepared for the following events.

Prince Jongdae grinned that dazzling grin he had and took Prince Zitao’s wrist, dragging him away from the large group of people as they snuck out of the ballroom. Prince Zitao stumbled after the shorter prince, his long legs trying not to kick Prince Jongdae in the shins as the fled down the halls like some kind of fairy tale. Prince Zitao hoped the older prince couldn’t feel his pulse since it was beating rapidly with both the activity and the fact that Prince Jongdae was close to holding his hand.

Yes, Prince Zitao might have had a small crush on Prince Jongdae. But because his father had expectations to have lots of grandchildren, he never wanted to act or talk about this. In fact, he had done a pretty good job putting the crush aside. Now, though, because of their position, his heart was going crazy.

“H-hyung.” Prince Zitao stammered, exhaustion settling in. “W-where are we going? How long…do we need to…run for?”

Prince Jongdae looked back. “Ah. Right. Sorry.” he slowed down and let go of Prince ZItao’s wrist. “I got carried away. Do you want to slip into a room and talk?”

Prince Zitao blinked but just nodded. Jongdae grinned and dramatically took Zitao’s hand, this time. Zitao blinked rapidly at Jongdae’s actions but let the older lead him elegantly into a random room. Zitao looked around curiously to see what kind of room they ended up in before groaning and letting go of Jongdae’s hand.

“You brought us into a bathroom?” Zitao grumbled. “I hope this was not purposefully.”

Jongdae burst into laughter and the corner of his lip upturned into that feline-like smirk of his, which always made Zitao’s heart do somersaults. Jongdae had definitely planned this, but Zitao was unsure why and what he would gain.

He stared at the older prince incredulously. “Why are we here, ge? What do you have planned?”

Jongdae continued with that feline smirk of his as he backed Zitao into a wall. Zitao his lips and looked down at Jongdae nervously, sweat starting to bead around his face. Jongdae laughed mischievously, poking Zitao’s chest and playing with his shirt buttons.

“Well, let's find out~!” he said in a mischievous, sing-song voice. 

 

After that evening, Zitao and Jongdae’s relationship changed drastically. They had managed to plan meet-ups as much as they could and each time they met up, they got closer and closer. Both knew they couldn’t be open about any sort of relationship, but they both wanted to try it out. They were willing to keep their relationship secret for as long as they could.

Once, Zitao managed to get permission to stay over in Korea with Jongdae, using improving his Korean as an excuse. On the last day, he and Jongdae were lying on Jongdae’s extravagant canopy bed, splayed out across each other just enjoying the time together.

Zitao looked at their interlocking fingers with a melancholy expression, adjusting his position to look at Jongdae. “Hey, hyung. What do you think would happen if we opened up about this relationship?”

His Korean had improved quite a bit since being in a relationship with Jongdae, though he often still slipped in Mandarin unconsciously. They’d decided that if they were in Korea, Jongdae would only answer to hyung. Anywhere else, he’d answer to either hyung or ge. It took Zitao some getting used to, but somehow he managed to keep up with the languages.

Jongdae looked over and tilted his head at the taller. “Well…I don’t actually know-- All of my brothers have gotten girlfriends or vowed some kind of single life.”

Zitao pouted slightly, snuggling closer to Jongdae. “I’m just afraid that the King might try and set me up with someone… I don’t want that, hyung.”

Desperation was high in Zitao’s voice, so Jongdae reached up with his free hand and caressed the taller prince's cheek, leaning up to peck his lips. “I know, Tao. We’ll figure that out when we get there. It’s too risky now. We’re being controlled by higher authority, so if we do something to disappoint them, we’re screwed.”

Zitao took a while to process all of Jongdae’s mini-speech, but eventually, he just buried his face in the top of Jongdae’s hair. Jongdae sighed softly and squeezed Zitao’s hand gently.

The following week, Zitao called Jongdae to the palace in China for some unknown reason. Something about a meeting. Jongdae was confused but regardless, still took the trek up to China. He was shocked to find that Zitao had told the King about his relationship. Or perhaps the King had found out somehow, Jongdae hadn’t asked Zitao yet to make sure.

“Tao,” Jongdae said firmly after the Kings servants let him see Zitao. “What happened?”

Zitao looked like he had just been crying. He refused to meet Jongdae’s eyes and his puffy eye bags were even puffier than usual. Jongdae sighed and took Zitao’s hands gently, leading him to some chairs.

“Tao, I’m not mad. I just want to know what happened.” Jongdae repeated in a softer voice. “Did you tell the King or did he find out?”

Zitao chewed his lips and fiddled with his fingers nervously. “I…I think he had his suspicions for a while… He called me into his room, which he usually never does and asked if I was seeing someone secretly…” he looked at Jongdae with desperate, red eyes. “Ge, I couldn’t just say no! I-if I had, he would’ve tried to find someone else for me. And I would’ve felt bad for rejecting my relationship with you even though I would never!”

Jongdae hugged Zitao closer to him. “Oh, Tao. You did well. It’s okay, love. You did the right thing.”

Zitao sniffled and clung to Jongdae for dear life. Jongdae patted the younger male’s back comfortingly, letting him get his feelings out. Finally, after a few minutes of silence, Zitao pulled away and looked at Jongdae with even puffier, redder eyes. Jongdae reached up and wiped away his tears, waiting for the younger to speak.

“Ge. Since he already knows…let’s go talk to the King.” Zitao said after a moment. “We’ll try and get permission. It can’t be too bad right?”

 

Zitao and Jongdae were called into The King’s room soon after they were allowed to meet. Zitao clung to Jongdae the whole time, but at the same time, seemed hesitant to show too much skinship in front of the King. Jongdae tried to stay confident for Zitao’s sake.

“How long has this been going on for?” the King asked sternly, looking between the two.

Zitao fiddled with his fingers. “I-it hasn’t been long sir.”

“How long?” the King repeated.

“About 6 months,” Jongdae responded calmly. “It’s my fault, sir. I started this mess by making advances.”

Zitao looked at Jongdae with wide eyes. “N-no, no! I liked you before you made advances, ge!”

The King sighed. “Well. This isn’t the first time two royals of the same gender have gotten together. It’s quite inconvenient but there’s not much I can do about it. Lay low for now so it doesn’t cause anything between the lower class.”

Zitao blinked in surprise and looked at the King hopefully. “Y-you mean I can be with him? R-really?”

The King nodded. “As long as the Korean King is also okay with it, do what you like. We may have reverted back to old times, but we don’t see a point in an arranged marriage or anything. As long as you’re both happy, go ahead. But don’t cause troubles between the countries if you break up.”

Zitao grinned and looked from the King to Jongdae, then back at the King. “If I was allowed to, I would so hug you right now, Your Highness.”

“Why don’t you hug Prince Jongdae instead?” The King just shook his head. “Maybe not here though. You may leave, both of you. I hope your relationship flourishes and becomes a bridge between China and Korea.”

The King waved his arms as if to show his power and wisdom as Zitao and Jongdae stood up, bowing as they left the room. Zitao dragged Jongdae out of the room, clinging to him like a Koala.

Jongdae shook his head and laughed. “Tao where are we going?”

Zitao looked at Jongdae and smirked. “How about to the bathroom? Where it all started.”

Zitao winked and Jongdae swore he fell in love with the boy all over again. His cheeks flushed as Zitao lead him into the bathroom and all but reenacted what happened on that fateful night at the party. Needless to say, Jongdae was thoroughly glad they’d gotten permission and no longer had to hide the relationship. And clearly so was Zitao, considering how quick he was to drag Jongdae into the bathroom.  


 

Word Count: somewhere around 2900

A/N: HELLO. Yes. Back at it with the no longer existent, now even more crack pairing which I still love, TAOCHEN. I mean, honestly, this will probably be the last story I'll write on Taochen so let's call it a form of closure. Unless one of these other prompts makes me think Taochen. Since my go-to pairings are usually Taochen, Wontaek, or Minkwan at this point. I need to branch out but meh- Maybe I'll throw some crack af pairings lowkey inspired by my rp. 

ANYWAYS I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS. even if it is too late to submit this i figured I'd post it anyways since I'm awkward when it comes to commenting so I gotta participate somehow since I wanted to be part of this club /slapped. Im just a slow writer sometimes. ok bye,