two: red

gone

park jungsoo stares out of the window. the frost has come early in winter, and are beginning to creep onto the remaining orange-red leaves that the trees bear. just looking at it makes him feel all dreary inside. at the same time, though, winter gives him an excuse to stay indoors all day, so that brings a small smile to his face.

"when are you going back?" the voice speaks to him with a light rapping of the knuckles on his door. he doesn't bother to turn towards the door, doesn't make any move to open it to greet the one behind it.

"not yet."

"okay."

the smile is gone from his face now as he lets a heavy sigh flee from his lips. he looks at the scar on his left hand. it's stopped bleeding by now - it's healing pretty fast, in fact.

hi.

there had been no reply - not that he'd really expect one, because who else would be insane enough to write messages to their soulmate by inflicting harm upon their own bodies?

he wonders if he even has a soulmate, or if he's just writing these silly little messages for no reason. he's been doing it for a while now, but always in the most hidden places - the parts of the back that people can't usually see, the inside of the thigh, the side of the abdomen. and they've always been small little words or the tiniest cuts; he wonders if his soulmate even noticed they were there. last night, he drew the smiley face a little bigger, and the hi was cut in plain sight.

i hope my soulmate sees.

he looks at the object in his hands - it glints an evil metal, still tinged with red from last night, and he swallows thickly; in that moment, every silly little fantasy about meeting his soulmate, about having a soulmate, crashes to below zero.

who am i kidding?

if i have a soulmate somewhere out there in the world, i'm sorry to whoever it is.

i'm so sorry.

"jungsoo!" another voice this time, a little deeper and more demanding. "open up."

"i don't want to." his tone is flat, uninterested, and he continues to toy with the metal in his hands.

there's the sound of keys jingling; one is roughly inserted into the lock, and the door is shoved open in seconds. the man taller than he is walks in, arms crossed. "jungsoo-" he cuts himself off as he sees the object that jungsoo holds. his voice takes on an edge of urgency, anger, anxiety. "jungsoo. drop that now."

"what if i don't want to?" he asks childishly, with the frozenness of a thousand winters in his tone.

he's unnerved, jungsoo can tell, from the way he gulps and his spine stiffens and his voice trembles just a little. "jungsoo. pass it here."

"but it's mine!" he continues to speak with the same mannerisms as a young child refusing to let go of his toy, even though he knows that his gaze is deader than any child's could ever be and the smile that's plastered to his lips doesn't even seem like one. "i don't want to give it to you."

"you have to give it here," the man insists, taking a step closer. "pass it here."

"it's mine. you can't have it," he responds, with a hollow giggle tainting his tone, "go find your own."

the man halts, and his eyes are alight with an expression that reads what the is happening. "fine," he spits, and he begins to back away. just like all of them do. "you have some sick offence within your mind. you're messed up as hell."

"come again another time!" his voice is cheerful, coldly so.

"i won't," are the final remarks from the man as he slams the door behind him.

yeah, don't.

just go.

give up on me, just like all of them.

a smile curves the edges of his lips, a real one this time.

it's okay, jungsoo.

it'll be okay soon.

and he's bored, so he takes the metal object and begins to press it to his skin.

 

heechul awakens to see his foot red in colour.

"what the ?"

"no profanities!" his sister yells back from somewhere outside his door.

"at least you don't have a goddamn masochist as your soulmate!" he screeches back. his sister has this perfect guy as her soulmate, who she's dating and who she's apparently overjoyed with; not some idiot who cuts her skin and writes to him, hey i'm jungsoo.

"you have a soulmate?" it doesn't take long for his sister to bound into his room. "you got an injury? wait, masochist?"

he opts not to show her his foot - yet - in case she thinks he's completely insane, and instead shows her his hand. "some crazy woman cut herself to spell out hi," he hisses.

"that's pretty cute," she counters, "i mean, if she has some super high pain tolerance, i think it's really sweet that she's writing these messages to you. won't you reply to her?"

"are you insane?" he can only stare at his sister in dumbfoundedness now. "do you know how much it'll hurt?"

she only laughs. "then i guess your future girlfriend is stronger than you." 

he watches as she exits his room, shutting the door behind her.

well - 

wait, jungsoo?

it hits him that jungsoo is not the typical female name.

he pauses.

jungsoo isn't even a female name.

his soulmate is a guy.

a masochist guy.

kim heechul decides that he's wholeheartedly exhausted by this whole soulmate thing - and honestly, he'd prefer to just live alone forever instead of being with someone as insane as his apparent soulmate.

not to mention that while all of his friends have sweet, innocent, perfectly normal girls as their soulmate, his is a more than just slightly insane guy who enjoys making himself bleed in order to spell out words.

this is not cute at all, heechul thinks firmly, feeling a slight shudder running down his spine, this is as weird as heck.