Chapter - 1: Well, Hello There

Moves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.

.

‘Sohyun-ah, can’t you just help me out for a few days?’

‘Unnie! You know I’m really busy.’

‘It’s only a few days. We have a lot of acts now and it really is much better to have an announcer to keep the audience engaged. And we look more professional too. And I’ll even pay you well! We have a few new people, and I could really use your help, and – ‘

‘Alright, fine.’

.

.

Sohyun stood by the bar of her older sister’s popular pub as a couple people set up the lighting and tested out the audio on the small stage. The entire back wall was covered by the soon-to-be curtained stage and had a small outcropping for her to stand as the announcer. The left side was taken up by the bar and cushioned stools, and the entire wall behind it was lined with numerous colorful bottles of alcohol that shimmered when hit by the artfully placed hanging light fixtures. The rest of the space was taken up by small tables, and a billiards table and dart board area to the right. A door at the back next to the stage led to the kitchen.

She didn’t really get the whole vibe of this place, but Somin was known to be eccentric anyway, so they had live performances with open seating and lots of alcohol. They’d started out pretty small, but over the last couple years, business had really picked up the “Paper Plane Bar and Grill”. So much so that they needed an announcer to introduce each act, which for the next week was going to be her, Lee So Hyun. Well announcer and temporary manager, which Somin had conveniently forgotten to mention, before setting off on her long overdue vacation with her boyfriend.

‘Okay Wonho, so today we have a new busboy, a new Sous Chef – Sous Chef?!’

With his dark hair, green highlights, black leather jacket, and ripped jeans, the bartender was conspicuously gorgeous, and he knew it. He gave her one of his famous flirty smiles which was responsible for half the foot traffic in the place.

‘That’s the title noona decided on.’

‘Right, okay then. Did the Chef actually agree to this?’

‘Kihyun probably doesn’t know about it.’

Sohyun winced and Wonho nodded at her sympathetically. Kihyun could be a little . . . sensitive.

‘Alright, so new busboy, new Sous Chef, new bouncer – what the hell?’

‘We get a lot more people now, and a lot more people get drunk, and then a lot more people get rowdy. And I can’t be counted on to save all the pretty damsels in distress.’

‘Please. I have never, not once, seen you step in to stop a fight. We all know those abs are for show.’ She rolled her eyes at him.

‘No, those abs are for tips, as is my face, so forgive me if I don’t want a black eye every week.’

‘Fine, it’ll be better to have a professional anyway.’

‘Exactly, so who else is joining us?’

‘A new performer. There’s too many new people already. Where is she getting the funding for this, anyway?’

‘She didn’t tell you?’

‘No. . . wait, tell me!’

‘This is going to be fun.’

‘Wonho! Tell me!’

‘Nope, guess you’ll just have to find out.’ He said cheekily.

Sohyun was about to go off at him when she was startled by a sudden hug.

‘It’s been so long!’ the bright voice sang, and the arms around her loosened to let her see a blond ball of sunshine.

‘Minhyuk!’ she cried, hugging him back, ‘I missed you!’

‘Well, you’re here now, and looking good too.’

Sohyun sheepishly the hem of her form-fitting bright peach dress as he pulled away from her. The sweetheart bodice was overlaid with delicate lace that had a high neckline with a leaf-shaped keyhole opening. The material ended tastefully at her mid-thighs, and the color contrasted prettily with her dark hair that had been styled into loose waves.

‘Oh, someone’s blushing.’

Wonho grinned at her scowl as Minhyuk laughed and put on his apron over his uniform before heading to the kitchen to join the other servers for prep.

.

.

Things had picked up as the hours went by, and the place was mostly ready. Sohyun ran around preparing last-minute things as opening time approached.

‘You have a visitor.’ Wonho said, pointing at the door.

She turned to see a tall, slim man with handsome features, neatly-styled light brown hair, and the puffiest, fullest lips she’d ever seen on a guy.

‘Who are you?’

He blinked, as if he wasn’t really used

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter