Chapter - 5: Gravity

Hug Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey Everyone! I’m back again! Thank you so, so much for commenting, upvoting, and subscribing! You guys are awesome. Hope you like this new chapter :)

Song: Monsta X - Gravity

.

.

Chapter – 5: Gravity

.

.

There were many things Wonho might have been doing on a Sunday night, but driving Choi Ji Hyun home after their little poolside têtê -à- têtê wasn’t one that he would’ve guessed. The sleek midnight blue BMW slowed to a stop in Chief Choi’s parking lot, and Wonho lifted his foot off the brake.

‘And of course, you’re asleep.’ He said as he turned to his right and saw the after-effects of the long and silent ride on the already-tipsy woman.

Sighing, he tentatively poked her shoulder.

‘Chief Choi.’

No answer.

‘Chief Choi, we’re here.’

‘Mhmm.’ She snuggled further into the seat.

‘Yah, Choi Ji Hyun,’ he shook her shoulder a bit, ‘We’re here now.’

Blearily, she opened her eyes.

‘You . . .’ she muttered, fuzzily pointing a wavering index finger at him, ‘You have to-to-to get the new pro-pro-project file done for the m-meeting.’

And she lapsed back into her slumber.

Seeing that there was only one way out of this, Wonho walked over to her side and easily scooped her up as her arm automatically wound around his neck. He made his way through her building lobby to the elevator, all the while trying not to think of how he could feel the smooth expanse of her back through the cobweb of strings that held her dress together.

The mirrored doors closed silently. He glanced up at their reflection and wondered just how it was that he had ended up like this with his mortal enemy, although he had to admit that he wasn’t quite so sure about the title anymore. Maybe bearable nemesis was a better term.

‘You have . . . nice . . . shoulders . . . ‘ Chief Choi muttered sleepily as she nuzzled her face in his chest, and Wonho swallowed heavily as heat suffused his face.

She’s adorable.

Wait, what?

What was that?

Just no.

And a compliment? From Her Highness?

Wow.

A wry grin took over his flawless features as he walked over to her apartment.

‘Chief Choi, your door code?’

‘Mmm.’

‘Ji Hyun.’

She managed to open her eyes halfway, glaring at him disapprovingly like an angry cat.

‘Your door code?’ he asked again.

The drowsy woman lifted her free hand and then the wavering index finger was back.

‘You . . . I’ll never . . . tell a man like you . . . that my door code is 4321.’

Brilliant. Personally, he thought that those were strong words considering that she was currently cradled in his arms, and –

What kind of a man does she think I am?

He wasn’t going to get the answer that night though, especially not since she’d tightened her hold around his neck and dozed off once more as he entered her apartment.

A light lavender scent greeted him, and he was pleasantly surprised to find way a spic and span apartment, what with her propensity to clutter where she worked. He crossed the entryway and living room to head to what appeared to be her bedroom.

Wonho managed to push open the door and found a cozy room with a gorgeous bay window that let in the clear moonlight. He laid her down gently, and for a second, he couldn’t help but admire the pretty picture she painted against the soft, white bed, with her chestnut hair fanning out around her, sooty eyelashes brushing the apples of flushed cheeks and her crimson-painted lips parted slightly. His gaze lightly traced the fluid lines of her body, lingering on her soft curves and slim waist that lead to her shapely hips and long, toned legs, and for a wild moment, he wished that his stare was replaced by his hands instead.

Aish. Dammit.

Blowing out a short breath, he recollected himself, and settled on getting off the contraption that were her golden heels. The tired man straightened up, pulled the sheets over her still form, and turned to leave when something caught his eye.

What in the hell?

So, this was where the clutter had ended up. Invisible from the doorway to the room, a modest glass desk adorned the wall opposite the bed, but this was not what made his stop in his tracks. It was the mountain-load of paperwork, folders, binders, and even books that covered every available inch of space as the poor piece of furniture looked like it was about to give way under the sheer weight. He looked past a few stray hair ties to the massive white board that decorated the wall.

Her neat scrawl was scribbled all over the large space, but what caught his attention was the fact that the board was split 3:1 into two neat sections – Things to Remember and Shin Hoseok.

No ing way.

His lips curved up in instant, surprised amusement at the notes.

Tell Chief Shin to have the apartment project file complete Tell Chief Shin to NOT BE LATE for the client meeting on Monday Tell C.S. to not dress better than everyone else at the Director’s meeting Tell C.S. to stop encouraging the interns’ hooliganisms Tell C.S. to stop annoying Changkyun so that we finally get our new laptops Confiscate Chief Shin’s candy or he’ll be hyper all day

The list went on and on. He glanced back at the peacefully asleep woman who mumbled softly as she rolled over, and pulled out his phone to take many, many, pictures of the evidence before him.

This was just too good.

Chuckling to himself, he made sure to place her heels into the designer department store display that was her shoe cabinet by the door before he let himself out.

You really are something else, Choi Ji Hyun.

.

.

Shownu groaned. In hindsight, he knew of course that the third beer had been pushing it, less because of his tolerance and more because of his unwillingness to consume so much alcohol but hearing Yeojoo’s tinkling laugh because of something whatever-his-name-was said had rankled him the wrong way. The lonely drive home had given him ample time to reflect on everything that could have been.

She’d been six years old when he’d first met her, and while she’d been everything from a next-door neighbor to his best friend Kihyun’s little sister, or even a close friend, he’d not once thought of her as a little sister. Maybe there was something wrong with him.

He’d been there when the Yoo siblings’ single mother had passed away suddenly while they were only high schoolers. He’d been there when Kihyun had decided to work part-time jobs after school to support Yeojoo and himself. And he’d been the one to take Yeojoo to all her ballet practices on the back of his bike.

Shownu had always admired her and cared for her, even loved the adorable, spunky girl that was Yoo Yeojoo, and while the tight hug she’d given him before he left for college had made him feel warm and his ears turn red, it wasn’t until he’d come back home during a break from his mandatory enlistment that he’d realized that she’d always made his heart flutter.

Momo Café’s dim lamps had illuminated the cozy back table he’d occupied with his army friends, and when a pretty waitress had walked up, they’d all sat up a little straighter. His heart had done a back flip in sudden subconscious appreciation as he’d recognized that the pretty waitress was in fact, the same cute Yeojoo he’d always known. Her cheeky childish grin was ever-present, but her face was more ladylike, and she was definitely taller and much more confident than he remembered. The eighteen-year old girl had squealed in excitement as she’d spotted him, and when he’d automatically enveloped her in his strong embrace, she’d shyly wrapped her arms around him return.

Throughout the evening, he’d heard her charming laugh, and stared more than necessary at her sparkling eyes and easy grin. And it had been very, very hard to remember that she was out of bounds. When his senior had flirted with her asked for an introduction, Shownu had rapidly deflected the request and told Yeojoo that he was taking her home. The two of them had walked down a familiar tree-lined path back to the building, and he’d found his reasons and walls crumbling. He’d been about to voice his long-unsaid feelings for her when her phone’s beeping had interrupted him.

‘YES!’ she’d yelled in absolute exhilaration.

And then, unthinkingly, she’d wound her arms around his neck in an excited hug before stepping away.

‘I MADE IT! I made it, Oppa! I got the scholarship!’

The timing had vanished, just like that. Still, he’d been genuinely happy for her when he’d given her a warm smile.

‘Congratulations, Yeojoo-yah.’

‘Thank you! You’re the first to know!’ she’d said, ‘I should go tell Kihyun Oppa.’

As he’d nodded at her enthusiasm, he’d realized how many years he’d spent thinking about wanting her, liking her, loving her.

How much he’d wanted in that moment to just kiss her once, but she was going to leave, and he hadn’t wanted for her to remember their memories like t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter