"Appa"

The Lee Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Betaed by Fubuki, 22/04/2019

Taeyong, Yuta and Doyoung brightened at the sight of Jaehyun smiling with a proud expression, his hands resting on Mark’s shoulders as they entered the living room together.

Doyoung patted Taeyong on the shoulder, whispering softly so that the kids didn’t hear: “In the end, everything is okay, once again.” Taeyong nodded.

“Yeah. It took time, and I am glad it’s over.”

Doyoung sighed: “I bet both of them feel the same. I am glad for them. Especially Mark, that little angel should stop bottling all those feelings up, it will make us worry to death.”

Taeyong smiled softly, his eyes saddening while looking at his eldest son who was dragged by Chenle to read a story.

Doyoung slapped his shoulder: “Stop it!” Taeyong whined at the pain, and glared.

“Stop what?” he asked confused.

“Looking at him with the I-am-such-a-bad-dad face”, Doyoung said while turning to fridge to take out some ingredients.

“I know you feel guilty about Mark. And you should stop that, it will make you sick for nothing”

Taeyong sighed: “It’s not like it isn’t the truth, hyung.”

Doyoung came back, with the last ingredients for their salad, and glared at him: “See, I don’t want to hear your foolish talk. Ever again. Am I not, always right?”

Taeyong snorted: “Sure, I am saying foolish things, and all what you say is the truth.”

Doyoung smirked: “That’s without saying.” Taeyong rolled his eyes while checking the tray baked chicken that was in the oven.

“You are a good dad. End of discussion.”

Taeyong murmured a "whatever" while taking the ingredients out of Doyoung’s hands.

“Why are you having such a hard time believing it?”, Doyoung asked.

Taeyong sighed: “I will believe you if you can look straight into my eyes and tell me, Mark is normal 13-year-old.”

Doyoung made a face before he sighed: “He isn’t.”

Taeyong laughed, a laugh without humour, busing himself with the rest of the preparation.

“Look at the others. They are perfectly fine, "normal" kids. As for Mark…You can’t blame yourself for something that’s not in our control.” Doyoung continued.

Taeyong looked at the salad he was making.

Was it really like that? Could have done nothing to shelter Mark from all his bad decisions? His first marriage, his second, his unstable relationship with Yuta, his career choice,…

Taeyong wasn’t confident enough to say that.

“Sometimes, I wish I would wake up and find the 4 year-old Mark. Curious, clumsy, always smiling, lovable Mark.”, Taeyong whispered.

Doyoung rolled his eyes. “You are such an ungrateful person: you should be thanking God, you got such a child instead of complaining! Look at me and Donghyuck!”

Taeyong couldn’t help but laugh, a real laugh.

Doyoung smiled as his goal to let the adult smile a bit was achieved.

“Besides, Mark may be not a normal child. But he is a happy one. And a loved one. That’s all what matters, Tae.” Doyoung said.

Taeyong wasn’t sure of it. But he knew that even if it wasn’t he should stop drowning in his own feelings if he wanted to make thing work out. All he could do was give his all. For Mark. And for all his other children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaehyun came in the kitchen, where Taeyong and Doyoung had been busy making dinner. Yuta who had Jungwoo in his arms had sat down at the Kitchen table to keep an eye on the kids.

Doyoung turned back and came towards them, smilling: “Congrats. You just gained your angel back”

Yuta laughed: “Didn’t I tell you? You just had to reach out.”

Jaehyun smiled back at them: “Thank you.”

Yuta smiled brightly. Jungwoo who woke up in his arms, reached out towards his father. Jaehyun smiled and took his son, the toddler snuggling into his chest.

“I am sure Kun will also be delighted.” 

Doyoung pinched the infant’s cute cheeks softly. Jaehyun smiled at the mention of his partner. Kun had always been considerate towards him. He loved Jeno as much as Jungwoo, and since Jaehyun considered Mark as his, Kun had also made an effort to approach the latter. Mark had been more receptive towards Kun, but he had created a bit of distance because of Jaehyun. But now Jaehyun couldn’t wait to see the two of them bonding as well.

“Tae, let me take over now”, Yuta who had his arms free now proposed his help to Taeyong who was still in the kitchen.

“Eeh? But I am fine...!”

Taeyong wanted to reject the offer, but Yuta dragged him out of the kitchen before he could finish his phrase.

“Give us all a favour, and rest a bit for God’s sake! Go chill and keep an eye on the children”

Doyoung laughed at Taeyong being chased out of his own kitchen, unable to retaliate. Jaehyun also smiled at the sight. Taeyong never changed.

Yuta looked in the fridge: “Where does he stock his chocolate?”

Doyoung looked at his boyfriend with curiosity: “Why do you need chocolate?”

“I promised Donghyuck to cook his favourite dinner, remember?”

Yuta made allusions to his promise to the younger one during their Uno game.

“But since we are eating here after all, I have no choice but to make his favourite dessert.”

Doyoung smiled at him: “I love you.”

Yuta who was still playing explorer in the fridge, glanced at him with an amused expression.

“And why do you love me when I am making Hyuckie’s favourite dessert and not yours?”

Doyoung giggled. “I am just grateful with how well you take care of that little devil of mine.”

Yuta laughed and closed the fridge after finding the chocolate.

“Considering that Nana isn’t an innocent soul either. I don’t think it was that difficult. And you always call him your little devil, but I know you well enough to tell that you see him as your most precious and fragile nephew.”

Doyoung smiled: “Don’t tell him that, or he will have a big head until he turns 20”

Yuta laughed again before turning towards Doyoung, with a bit of a serious expression: “You know it won’t hurt to tell him things like that from time to time. Even though he will probably get a big head until he turns 20.”

Doyoung sighed. “Am I too harsh on him?”

Yuta’s eyes softened. And he went to Doyoung to give him a peck on his cheeks. “No. But he reminds me a bit of Renjun. Very sensitive. But unlike soft Renjun he is really good at putting up a brave front. To the point of annoying people to death with his cheekiness. Reminds me of a certain someone?”

Doyoung smiled: “Was I that bad, the first time we met?”

Yuta laughed: “So you do remember!”

Doyoung sighed. “Let me help with the brownies.”

Yuta grinned, amused by his attempt to change the subject : “Okay”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of the TV filled the living room, together with the breathing of five children. Three of them were sitting on the couch, the other two in the armchair next to it.

“The end. Jeno, can you give me the remote?” Renjun asked while stretching his arms. The kids had been sitting in the couch, watching cartoons. They just finished watching Moomin.

It was already 9 and Jaehyun-Appa and the uncles (accompanied by a sleepy Jaemin and whiny Donghyuck who didn’t want to leave but still did since Yuta who had baked him his favourite brownies) had left after dinner.

“Nooooo” whined Chenle who tried to catch the remote from Jeno’s hand.

“Chenle, it's bedtime. Dad said this was the last one.” Renjun tried to intervene.

Taeyong had been watching with them, leaving them with a last warning and instruction, before he went to take a quick shower. Chenle whined before gripping the remote out of Renjun’s hands reach.

“I wanna watch Batman!”, the child whined, while hugging the remote to his chest, save from his brother's hands. “Gēge watched Moomin. I want Batman!”

“Chenle, you heard Dad. You don’t want him to be angry when he comes back, right?”, Renjun looked straight into his little brother’s eyes.

“Lele, come on. We have to wake up for school tomorrow!”, Jeno said, trying to somehow take the hidden remote back.

Chenle shook his head. “Last one. Batman last one. After Batman, bedtime.”

Renjun sighed as his brother had already started to use his puppy eyes and pouty lips. “No. We promised Moomin would be the last one.”

Hearing those words, Chenle whined, his eyes starting to be teary as he wanted his brother to give in.

Renjun didn’t plan to give in: “You are the only one being difficult, Lele. Look at Jeno and Jisung, they aren’t complaining!”

“Lele, bad kid”, Jisung who was half asleep in his Mark-Hyung's arms (he had still decided to stay up after eating his cookie and Chocolate Milk) mumbled.

Chenle looked at his younger brother with a fierce glare: “Lele not a bad kid!” Seeing his brother being distracted, Renjun’s hands were fast as they took the remote out of the child’s hands.

“Indeed, Lele is a good kid, so let’s go to bed.”, Renjun said, turning the remote towards the TV, that now showed the opening of Batman before turning black.

“Noooooo!”, Chenle whined.

“Lele, don’t be sad,…” Renjun tried to approach his brother but the latter pushed him

“Chenle hates Gēge! Hate you!”, he said while tears started to pour down his cheeks. Renjun froze at Chenle’s words, at a loss what to do.

“Chenle...” Jeno tried to approach him too, but Chenle ran away from him, before he sat down in the corner of the living room, while hugging his knees. Renjun’s eyes started to get glossy, as he wanted to cry too. What he feared the most, was to be bad brother for Chenle. Chenle’s words stung and he didn’t know what to do.

“Renjun. Jeno.” Mark’s voice broke the silence in the room.

Both of them turned towards their Hyung who beckoned them to come closer. Renjun looked down, ashamed that he hadn’t be able to handle Chenle well while walking towards his Hyung.

“Renjun, can you take Jisung to his bed?” Mark’s voice was soft and calm, despite having seen the scene that had just happened.

“Eeh? Yes, but Hyung…”

“I will talk to him. Don’t worry.” Mark cut Renjun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter