I can not bear to let you suffer: one's treasured heart.

The Lee Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Renjun’s soft voice sounded through the livingroom, as Chenle big eyes scanned the colourful pictures of the storybook, the Chinese words transporting the youngest to a world of dragons and fairies. Renjun smiled down at the reaction of his younger brother who sat down very comfortably in his lap, smiling or whining whenever the story turned happy or scary.

Renjun liked to tell stories to his youngest brothers.

He was also fairly good at it, because Jisung who understood very few words of Chinese was also glancing at the picture book from time to time, sitting next to Renjun with a very cute concentrated expression. For Jisung to take interest in it ( the kid was so easily distracted), it made Renjun’s chest swell with proudness.

The living room was quite empty, with here and there the sound of their dad’s movements that could be heard as he busied himself in the kitchen. Jeno had a football training session, and normally their hyung would have a basketball training too, yet he had come back very early telling it had been cancelled because their coach was sick. The older one had gone to his room to catch up some homework.

“Lele wants another one!” Chenle exclaimed after his gege had closed the book, the story long finished. Renjun beamed at his younger brother, as Lele was usually more interested in exciting things to do then to stay still (unless if it was in front of the TV) “Alright.”

Jisung’s nose scrunch at the lovely dovely sight, his interest had a limit and watching his Renjun ge swooning over Lele made him slightly sulky: he always wondered how Lele managed to wrap every of their hyungs around his finger…Even that devil of a Donghyuck was no match against Leles big eyes and sunny smiles.

Although they were both maknae, his hyungs always ended up with giving more in to Lele’s antics, though no one could be blamed as Lele’s charm were truly difficult to resist. Even for Jisung.

Jisung left the couch discretely, sulking even slightly when Renjun hyung was to engrossed in telling the story to notice, and climbed up the stairs, not even bothering to knock as he entered his hyungs room.

He saw his Mark hyung, sitting on his desk with was probably “homework”, looking up at him.

“Jisung-ah?” His hyung soft voice was surprised, not expecting him to enter, as Lele and Jisung were always taught to be good boys while their hyungs were busy with schoolwork.

Jisung did not know why he had ended up here. Hearing the soft voice of his mathyung, he knew he had found his little shelter, the familiar pillow that Jisung always used whenever his body was in pain.

Jisung didn’t say anything, but his little steps brought him towards his hyung, who had a very worried expression on his face.

“Up.” Jisung demanded as he stretched his hands with a very sulky expression.

Mark did not bother to correct him with “Please” or “Hyung”, finding the unusual request quite weird, as he brought Jisung up, into his lap.

Mark had thought the younger just wanted a pillow to use, yet Jisung did not nuzzle into his chest as usual, as he instead played with the silver chain that Mark had received from his uncle Doyoung at birth; it was a chain with a little silver pendant, the the symbol of Leo carved on it ( Mark’s horoscope), where a little picture was stored of their family. Mark always had it, rarely taking it off.

“What is it, Jisung-ah?” Mark asked as he softly pinched Jisung’s left cheek, earning a whine from the youngest.

Jisung didn’t know. He felt bored and quite sulky. Even pissed off. And he had somehow the urge to have some attention.

“Sungie?” Mark panicked inwardly as he did not receive any response, not knowing how to respond.

He heard a faint mumble as the youngest did not look him into the eyes: “Story…please?”

Mark blinked his eyes. Story? Wasn’t Renjun the one better for this task? Moreover, Renjun would be over the moon if Jisung personally requested him a story. Jisung, amongst their sibilings was one that rarely asked for attention, be it skin ship (unless he was sluggish because of the disease and he always limited himself to use his dad or Mathyung’s chest as pillow) or favors, the younger rarely asked for it.

Renjun always tried to give some extra attention to Jisung, thinking he would earn a “pillow-status” too from the younger.

“A story? What about asking Renjun? You know he tells the best stories.” Mark answered carefully, not wanting Jisung to misunderstand his intentions.

Jisung sulked, this time looking him in the eyes clearly, pouty mouth as he said “Lele.”

Chenle? What about Chenle? Renjun sure adored his brother, but he was always fair giving his attention amongst them. Though Jisung did not know, Renjun was often even softer when giving a lecture to the youngest then to his own brother Lele.

“What about Lele?” Mark tried to coax the sulky Jisung by playing with his soft honey brown hair. Jisung did not respond for a while, his eyes finding the pendant more interesting than anything else.

“Jisungie also cute…” he muttered so softly that Mark didn’t know for sure if he had heard it correctly. He starred confused at his brother for a second before understanding came hitting him in the face.

Mark nearly laughed out loud.

He was just in time to compose himself before he carefully asked: “Jisung-ah…Are you jealous of Lele?”

Jisung shook his head to fast, still refusing him to look him in the eyes. That was all what Mark needed to confirm his suspicions.

Mark chuckled, and he pinched Jisung’s cheek again.

The younger didn’t even protest.

Mark cupped his cheeks, so that he could look the youngest into the eyes: “Jisung-ah, you are very very very cute. Chenle is just more open to ask for attention, if you want some of it too, then just need to ask, just like you did now. I am sure Jeno and Renjun would give you whatever attention you need. Jisungie is after all ourie Maknae.”

Mark smiled, knowing that Jisung was not so very into asking for attention, but a kid stayed a kid after all. Children always craved for love.

Jisung did not reply and Mark knew he was too embarrassed to nod. Mark gave him a kiss on his crown: “Alright, Hyung will prove you right away.”

Mark stood up, Jisung still in his arms, as he went downstairs, where Renjun had long finished his story, worrying how come his youngets brother had disappeared.

“Ah, Jisung there you are!” Renjun spotted his hyung carrying the youngest in his arms, and somehow, he could not help but feel disappointed. Had the story been not interesting? That was the only thing Renjun felt more confident in drawing his brothers attention ah!

He looked with a bit of envy at his Mark hyung, the older taking a seat on the couch next to him, with Jisung playing with his silver chain: Jisung-ah you are showing way too much favouritism. Sigh.

“Injunie, come here a bit.” Mark softly asked, as he leaned towards his direction. Renjun perked up, as he gave his hyung his ear.

Mark whispered softly some words, and Renjun’s eyes were slowly getting bigger as he finished his last words.

Mark sat back straight again as he asked: “Injunie, Jisung want’s to hear a story.”

Jisung who was still playing with Mark’hyungs chain blushed slightly as he did not dare to take his eyes of the jewel.

“Lele too!” Chenle beamed at the mention of another story.

Renjun snapped of his thoughts, beamed at Jisung. “What story do you wanna hear, Jisungie?”

Jisung mumbled, while still fidgeting with the pendant: “Spaceship story”.

Renjun smiled as he went to the little bookshelve in the corner of the living room, taking out a story about space. “This one Sungie? Or do you want another one?”

Jisung looked up and nodded.

“Lele wants story about dragon!” Chenle tried to grab a book he had set his eyes on, but his ge surprised him by taking his hands gently off the shelve.

“Lele, you already choose a story twice, now it’s time for Jisung to choose one. If you still wanna hear after it, ge will read you a story of dragon’s alright?”

Lele sulked slightly, but still nodded.

Renjun went back to the couch, taking a seat he shyly asked: “Jisung-ah, do you wanna come closer?”

Jisung looked up at his Mark hyung, who smiled down at him and nodded.

Renjun had the biggest smile on his face, as Jisung setteled himself into his lap, eyes full of interest on the book.

Chenle who was not used at not getting any attention, was suddenly feeling very lost. Yet there was nothing really wrong to complain about.

Before Chenle could decide what to do, two arms silently lifted him up, and he smiled with delight as he was settled into his Mark hyung lap.

Though he was not in front of the picture book like Jisung, Chenle was nevertheless happy with the strong arms of his mathyung, and the soft voice of his ge who had started the story.

 

Taeyong smiled at the sight of his sons, cuddling up on the couch, Renjun finishing the story as Jisung eyes shone of interest.

“Who wants to eat a snack?” Taeyong ruffled Jisung’s hair and he received a happy cheer from Lele.

Taeyong lived for their happy chewing sounds, the kitchen almost silent, as his children devoured the handmade cookies and cupcakes.

Chenle, as always, looked at the remaining ones left, trying not so discretely to steal a cookie, yet his Renjun ge, slapped his hand lightly at the gesture: “Lele, don’t be greedy, those are for Jeno!”

Chenle sulked, looking at his ge with wronged eyes, but Renjun shook his head in resolve.

“Lele, dad will make them tomorrow again, alright?” Taeyong chuckled as he tried to console his son, happy he had only morning classes to give, as tomorrow he had half a day off, and he wouldn’t mind baking them another tray of sweets.

Lele eyed the cookies with very wronged feelings: those sweets were teasing him to be eaten, ah! But his dad and ge were not wrong, Jeno hyung had not eaten his part yet…

Suddenly half a cookie appeared on his plate, and Lele’s eyes shined as he grinned at the source of his sudden happiness.

Jisung eyes shinned too, as he received the other half of the cookie, and he left no time devouring the sweet. Taeyong smiled proudly at his eldest son, who as usual had eaten much more slowly then his siblings. Mark always ended up sharing his sweets with the youngest, a trait that Jeno had also taken watching his eldest hyung as he grew up.

Just like Taeyong, Mark never cared about the food…only the persons he shared it with.

Taeyong was suddenly taken off his thoughts thanks to the buzzing of his phone; he looked up at the screen and blinked in surprise.

It was Ten.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. Mark was never the type to be nervous ( Except when his brothers were crying or when he had to step on the stage to dance), but clearly what did you expect when you were sitting around the table with all your uncles and Appas present.  Alone, since the kids had been sent to their room.

 

His dad had received a phone call, hanging up with a strange expression. He had subtly send Renjun with the youngest to their room, making sure to occupy them with a movie on Mark’s laptop.

He had asked Mark to help him with the dishes, which he did, when Uncle Doyoung and Yuta had arrived. Which by the way was uncommon, because they didn’t come with Jaemin nor Donghyuck and Mark was pretty sure they were supposed to be busy at this hour.

Yuta was in a very bad mood, but he lightened up at the sight of his godson, squishing his cheeks as he tried to convince him to dye his hair for the next photoshoot (he hadn’t give up yet). Mark had helplessly looked at his Uncle Doyoung for help, but the latter just laughed: “You know you will always be bothered until you agree, it’s up to you love.”

Mark had sulked, making Doyoung laugh more, before looking at his dad for help; surely his dad wouldn’t agree with him dying his hair (he would scream about Mark still being a baby, which for once he wouldn’t mind if it let him free out of his Godfather Yuta’s idea.)

But Taeyong looked distracted, too dazed to notice his son helpless face, and that was the moment Mark knew something was wrong.

When his Appa knocked on the door 20 minutes later, arriving with Kun, Mark knew something was definitely up.

He wanted to ask what, but somehow the adults led him to the table to sit, as they each took place, while Taeyong served them coffee or tea.

5 minutes later, the doorbell sounded again, and to Mark’s surprise it was his father who came into the kitchen, taking place next to Taeyong.

“I get why he came,” Ten nodded towards Kun’s direction, “But why did he came?” the Thai man asked as he looked in the direction of Yuta.

Yuta glared fiercly, “Because if you have something urgent and important to tell about Mark, then you can’t expect that people who were beside his sides for years, don’t show up.”

“Yuta!” Doyoung tried to calm down his fiancé, before he said another snarky remark, looking with an apologising look at Ten.

“Sorry Ten, I was the one inviting him, since you told me it was about Mark.”

So yeah, truly no one could blame Mark to be nervous.

He coughed, trying to get the attention of everyone.

Doyoung smiled apologetically while Yuta still glared at Ten.

“Maybe you should directly go straight to the point?” Jaehyun, who sat near Mark, diplomatically intervened.

Ten sighed before taking two document maps out of his bag. He took the first one and opened it, taking out a paper as he gave it towards Taeyong, who had been awfully quiet.

“What is this?” Taeyong tried to comprehend what the document was about, but he couldn’t understand one word of it.

“A medical report?” Kun who could see the document raised his eyebrow, as he recognised the document.

Taeyong turned the paper into his direction, and Kun took it as his eyes scanned the paper, a frown slowly coming on his face.

“It’s a match report for a bone marrow transportation. A positive match, an almost perfect match with high chances of success I would say, according to the statistics.”

Taeyong blinked confused, he had done an analyse yesterday, but he had received a negative result for Lucas match. “That’s great news Ten-ah!” Taeyong said, not understanding why his partner had requested to talk to him and Mark about a serious issue. This was great news, so why the so gloomy face and tone?

Ten sighed, as he looked towards his son, who was suddenly looking at the table with a very interested expression.

“Mark. When did you do the test?”

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taeyong froze, and so did everyone on their table.

“Wait…that report is?” Doyoung carefully asked but Ten nodded.

Taeyong looked with utter surprise at his eldest son: “You did a bone marrow analysis? When?”

Mark glanced at his father and sighed in defeat. He had been caught. “Sunday, after I gave my letter to Lucas.”

“You did what?” Jaehyun looked at his eldest son as he quickly asked Kun, “Aren’t minors required to have parental approvement when doing such test?”

Kun nodded but Taeyong sighed. “Mark has a copy of my seal. Remember, for urgencies if something happens at Jisung or Chenle’s daycare, and I can’t come.” Taeyong looked with a bit of disappointment towards his eldest son: “You weren’t supposed to use this for another occasion. I am fine with you doing such a test, why di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter