moonsun- historical au

like spring that suddenly comes (i keep feeling like love will come too)

Her shoulder itches against the scratchy fabric of the old hanbok as she stands with a line of girls outside the camp.  The old branding scar still bothers her even though it had been a few years since Master Oh had pressed burning iron against the shoulder of a six year old.  Number 22 barely remembers who that girl is thanks to the plentiful beatings of Master Oh.  

“What is your name?”

“It’s-”

Blinding pain and a mouth full of blood.

“I said what is your name.”

“I-I don’t remember.”

She tries to steel her expression as a short rich looking man stares at the line of girls, a perfumed handkerchief pressed against his nose and mouth to lessen the stench of them all.

“Are they girls or beasts?” he grumbles to Master Oh as he gestures toward them with his purple silk robes.

“A little bit of both,” Master Oh replies with a wicked grin full of black rotting teeth.  Number 22 shudders and she hates how that evil smile widens.  All the girls standing with her shiver.

“But, Master Oh, are these really the best you have?  Whoever we choose must be able to connect with the crown princess and gain her trust.  These slaves look like they can barely pass for being human.”

Number 22’s jaw clenches and she thinks that none of them are really human at all.  Humans at least have names.

“I think you would be surprised, sir, with how capable these girls can be.  You realize that during the time that they will serve this crown princess they will be continuing their training of martial arts.  Their potential is second to none.”

The man coughs into his handkerchief and surveys the girls again.

“They will have to be capable of killing the crown princess that they serve.  These little things can do that?”

Master Oh cackles and those black teeth shine.

“That and so much more, sir.”

The man sighs and mumbles something to himself before pulling a folded fan from his sleeve.  Number 22 watches curiously at the way the wooden lacquer gleams prettily in the sunshine.  A part of her wants to reach forward and feel if it is as smooth as it seems.

And then the man’s eyes lock with hers and she ducks her head quickly, feeling a flush in her cheeks.  She’ll get a beating for this, she’s sure of it.

Suddenly smooth wood taps lightly at her chin, forcing her to look up.  She realizes the man has chosen her, one hand firmly pressing his pretty handkerchief to his mouth and the other stiffly pointing that beautiful fan at her.

“I want this one,” he mumbles through the fabric.  And Number 22 shivers.

*****

“And what are you supposed to be?”

“Her most loyal servant.”

“But where do you loyalties actually lie?”

“With the Noron faction, sir.”

Number 22 swallows as Sir Hong stops in front of her.  They are walking to the crown princess’ home, days before the official marriage ceremony for her first introduction as one of Lady Kim’s palace maids.  The preparation for this day has been a blur of endless training on palace manners, condensing what some little girls learned their whole lives into a month.  But Number 22 takes the training as similar to holding a sword.  Each bow and curtsy has to be precise and perfect or your head would be lost just like in a fight.  

“I’ve adopted you now and any mistake you make will cost me my head as well as yours.”  Number 22 bows her head as she tightens her grip on the overcoat she had pulled over her head to hide her face.  

“Yes, sir.”

“Father.”

“Yes… Father.”

Number 22 stops behind Sir Hong as he pauses in front of a gate.

“It was by a of pure luck that the crown princess’ father sent his daughter’s application to the King.  They were practically paupers and now they’ll have everything.”

Number 22 says nothing as she drops her eyes to her leather slippers, foreign and far too extravagant for her own feet.  

“Your name will be Hong Byulyi.  Master Oh, gave me your old name from before.  Remember this and do not be afraid.”

Number 22 lifts her head as the gate opens and Sir Hong looks over his shoulder.

“Come Byulyi, let’s meet your new mistress.”

*****

Number 22 watches as Yongsun smiles softly at her embroidery.  Her curiosity overwhelms her and she cannot help herself.

“My lady,  what makes you smile so?”

“Because I’m almost done with this.”

“You have made many ribbons, my lady.  What makes this one so special?”

Yongsun pouts as she examines her handiwork.  

“Does this ribbon not look pretty?”

Number 22 straightens and glances at the silk.  It is a typical long strand of dark blue fabric dotted with small bunches of purple and red flowers.  Strangely at the edge of the ribbon is yellow thread bunched together in some sort of strange shape.  

“Do you like it?”

Number 22 tilts her head and leans closer, trying to see the strange shapes at the edge of the ribbon when she realizes just how close she is.  Pausing she tilts her head and sees Yongsun, a breathe away with a face flushed so red it is like she has a fever.  

“Are you alright, My Lady?” Number 22 asks curiously, watching the way Yongsun’s eyes darted this way and that.

“I-I’m fine! But the ribbon!” Yongsun eagerly waves the piece of fabric in front of Number 22’s nose.  “Do you like it?”

Byulyi leans back, ignoring the soft sigh from Yongsun.

“Yes, it’s very pretty.  But… what exactly are the things at the bottom?”

“Things?”

“Yes the… things with the yellow thread?”

And Yongsun’s face turns red again as she ducks her head.

“They’re… they’re stars.”

“Oh… I see.”

“It’s because you said you liked stars didn’t you?  That’s why I put them on here.”

“Why would you put something I like on a ribbon?”

Yongsun’s mouth puckers into a pout.  

“Because this is for you!  I was making you a ribbon.”

“You were going to give me… a gift?”

“Yes! But you obviously hate it so I should just…”

“No. No I want it.”

Number 22 reaches forward and gently holds Yongsun’s wrist, stopping her from flinging the ribbon into her desk.

“But you didn’t even like the stars…”

“I’ve never had a gift before.”  Something hammers in her chest and Number 22 is confused by why her heart feels heavy.  This is important she realizes dimly as she looks into Yongsun’s wide brown eyes.  Everything feels a little dreamy with the way the light from outside colors the room in the sleepy sunlight of springtime, softening the edges of everything.  

“Byul-ah, will you take my gift?” Yongsun asks gesturing at the ribbon on the desk.  

And Byulyi just smiles.  

*****

The Prince paces restlessly in front of her, his white sleeping robes open to reveal his chest and his pant ties loose.  He holds his sword, polished to a nearly impossible shine in his left hand while he gestures madly with his right.

“Do you know why I have called you here today?”

Byulyi swallows any sharp retort, instead bowing her head.

“I do not, Your Highness.”

She hears the sound of steel swing toward her but she forces her instincts to stop herself from ducking away and picking up whatever weapon she could find to fight back.  

The sword is pointed at her forehead, the tip barely touching her skin.  If she leans forward she’d have a bloody cut that’d inevitably scar.

“Your Highness?” she asks calmly.  Just by the way he is standing she can tell he would easily be disarmed.  

“Tell me why you think I called you here.”

“I do not know that, Your Highness.”

The prince’s face twists into a maniacal smile and he throws back his head and laughs as he reaches for the bottle of liquor on his lacquer study table.

“They say I’m crazy you know,” he rambles with a grin, pointing the sword lazily at Byulyi as he takes a generous swig from the porcelain bottle.

“My father… my father has always hated me since I was small.  Never had a chance to prove myself…. prove myself to HIM. HE NEVER LET HIMSELF LOVE ME THE WAY HE SHOULD HAVE!  He… he…”  The prince’s eyes were wet with tears and he looks at her like the little boy he was.  Byulyi can almost forget yesterday and the way Yongsun had screamed as he had brought a head of a decapitated eunuch, like a cat proudly dragging a mouse to its master.  

“Your Highness.”

“I know. That you love her.”

“Your Highness?”

The prince smiles darkly and dropped his sword with a clatter and rushes toward her.  He grips her collar and he is too close with his breath hot and smelling like madness and rice wine.  

“I see your eyes.  I see the way they follow her.”

Byulyi’s jaw twitches and she fights the urge to twist his wrist and flip him onto his back.

“Whatever do you mean, Your Highness?”

“Is there… is there a part of you that hopes that I’ll die? So that you can have her all to yourself?”

“Your Highness. What are you talking about?”

“She is quite wonderful you know.  If I wasn’t so stressed by my father maybe we would have more children.  Yongsun… Yongsun is so soft and her taste-”

Byulyi doesn’t realize that she has the crown prince on his back with her hand on his throat until she hears the shatter of the porcelain wine bottle.  She sees him smile up at her like some idiot and she wants to just squeeze and squeeze until she can’t see his triumphant eyes anymore.  

“I won’t tell anyone,” he teases with a giggle. “But only because no one would believe me if I did!”

Byulyi staggers tripping on her skirts and collapsing next to the prince who still lies on his back grinning at the ceiling.

“You can go, Court Lady Hong,” he cheerfully says after a long silence.  “Get back to my wife safely.  I’m sure she’s terribly lonely without you!”