Chapter 22

Starry, Starry Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dad, Mom. I introduce my partner, Sunghoon. Kang Sunghoon.” Jiwon slowly said.

Their parents froze.

“You’re just joking, right?” Their father asked. “Or is this some kind of pranks you guys are playing?” He turned around and looked at Eunji and Jiyong before turned back to Jiwon for confirmation. However, one look at their face and silence, answered all. He gripped the door hard. “Is this for real, EUN JIWON?” He questioned again, with a hint of stern voice. Jiwon bit his lips. He knew that tone very well. A tone which their father used when something was wrong. A tone that scared them all. But, Jiwon wont back down now. Not today. He reached out for Sunghoon’s hand and gripped it.

“Yes, dad. Mom. He is my partner that I want to introduce to you.” He repeated it again. Sunghoon glanced at Jiwon. His hand was as cold as ice, sending Sunghoon a sign that he was or at least anxious of his parents’ response. Sunghoon just stood there in silence. He did not want to complicate the situation by saying a word. Right now, it felt like any words came out from his mouth might be crucial and it would be like adding fuel into the fire. They stay silent for minutes before Eunji decided to intervene.

“Dad, Mom. Shouldn’t we invite our guest in?” She motioned Jiyong to help her. “Yes, Dad, Mom. We can talk this inside instead of here.” Jiyong acted as he understood the signal sent by Eunji. “Oh? Oh…Erm…Come inside.” Their mother awkwardly invited Sunghoon in. Jiwon lightly patted Sunghoon’s back, a sign of okay to go inside. “Do you want to have dinner now or…” Their mother’s words died on her lips as their father cut them off.

“Discussion room. All of you. That’s included YOU.” He said as he pointed to Sunghoon and walked straight into study room.   

Sunghoon looked at Jiwon who’s looking at him. He nodded and in muted voice said. “Follow me.” Sunghoon took a deep breathed before followed Jiwon to where their fate awaited. Everyone was already sat on couch when he walked in. Sunghoon awkwardly walked to an empty seat next to Jiwon and sat. He knew everyone’s eyes on him tonight. He was the topping on top of topping. Suddenly the room felt cold and his body slightly shaking from the heavy atmosphere.

Mr Eun coughed. Clearing his throat before he spoke.

“Eunji, Jiyong.” Eunji and Jiyong flinched the moment their names being called. “Yes, dad?” Both of them answered.

“Do you know about this?” He asked. Eunji glanced at Jiyong before answered. “I do, dad.” She replied. “Me too.” Jiyong slowly said. Mr Eun sighed heavily. He looked at his wife whom had been quiet since they sat in the room. “Honey?” He called. Mrs Eun turned to look at him and shook her head. “How long?” He asked again. “Since the party we attended at Mr Klein’s house.” Jiyong muttered. “That long, huh?” He exhaled heavily. His hand softly massaged his eyes. “So, you went to Korea to meet him, Eunji?” He asked Eunji. “Yes, dad.” She slowly replied. “And you never think to inform us before that?” His voice tight. “I’m sorry, dad. But I thought it would be better you hear it from Jiwon oppa himself.” She muttered. “And you, Jiyong? Why didn’t you let us know when you called to inform us about Jiwon went back to Korea urgently before?” He questioned him. “I do not want to complicate this matter, dad. It was Jiwon’s request to hide it from you as he personally wants to inform both of you.” He answered.

“And you both are okay with his choice? A man as his partner?” He stared at them. “I just want the best for him, dad. If that choice brings him happiness, then I’ll live with that.” Eunji replied. “Me too, dad, mom. I’m sorry for supporting Jiwon on this.” Jiyong said as he looked at their parents. “Understand. Both of you can leave.” Mr Eun said and continued. “I want to have a conversation with your mother, Jiwon and him only.” Eunji and Jiyong looked at each other before they turned to Jiwon. Jiwon nodded acknowledged. Slowly, they got up and walked out from the room.

After Eunji and Jiyong left the room, Mr Eun turned his focus to two persons in front of him. “What is your name again?” He asked. “Ka…” Jiwon was about to answer the question but a deadly shot from his father silenced him. Sunghoon looked at Jiwon before he answered. “Sunghoon, sir. Kang Sunghoon.” Sunghoon replied carefully. “Kang Sunghoon.” He repeated and contemplated before he continued. “Do you understand the meaning of this?” He asked. “Yes, sir. I fully understand.” Sunghoon exclaimed. “And you actually fine being with my son? You do realize he is a MAN, not a WOMAN. Her sister is a woman.” He highlighted the word MAN and WOMAN. “Yes, sir. I am fully aware of that.” Sunghoon answered. “Then, why?” He asked. “Sir?” Sunghoon confused. “Why him? If you chose my daughter, I don’t have to think twice, I give you my permission. But both of you are man, gay…” paused. “Homoual… homoual is not a simple matter.” He sighed and continued. “Why did you have to chose a hard and rocky road to live your life?” 

“Dad…” Jiwon tried to say something but got cut off. “EUN JIWON. I’m not talking to you now.” He silenced him once again. Jiwon lowered his head. Their father might seem calm and soft spoken but in reality, that was what scared the most by the Eun’s siblings. They rather him getting mad or angry instead of calm like this because it just showed how angry he actually was.

“I know and understand your point, sir. And honestly, I never once thought this would happen, but I do not want to live my life pretending I’m not.” Sunghoon replied cautiously. “Still, did you ever think of our feelings as Jiwon’s parents? Your parents? Did they approve your relationship?” He questioned him. “My parents…” paused. “My parents died since I was a kid. So, I’m not sure what they would think about this. But, my aunty, whom raised me did approve us. Thus, I believe if my parents are still alive, they would too.” Sunghoon slowly said. “However, I do understand if you disapproved us. That’s is why we are here today. To ask for your permission.” He stopped and lowered his head.

“I’m sorry about your parents, Sunghoon-ah.” Mrs Eun finally spoke after she had been quiet for whole times. “I always dream of Jiwon with a woman, a daughter-in-law. I would imagine how his children would turn out. Will they resemble him or their mother? How lively would our house be whenever they visited?” She muttered. “But now, everything is ruined. Shattered into pieces.” She lowered her head and a silent sob can be heard. Sunghoon stunned and speechless. Lost of words. Slowly, he turned to look at Jiwon and like telepaty, Jiwon also turned to him. Their eyes spoke. Jiwon gripped his hand and shook his head softly. His reactions showed he understood and knew what Sunghoon was thinking. Sunghoon contemplated. He never had a mother; thus, he did not fully understand the longing a mother wanted. But he did have an aunty and he would do anything and everything to fulfill her dreams. Regardless what. And now, on the spur of the moment, he had a sudden change of heart. Listening to Jiwon’s mother words brought him into despair. He suddenly aware that he just shattered a mother’s happiness. Something that did not cross his mind when he took Jiwon’s hand. His heart felt heavy and he overwhelmed with feelings.

“Mom.” Jiwon called her. “I know I disappoint you, but please don’t say that. He’s not the reason your dreams would not come true. You can put the blame on me and I will accept it all.” He continued. “And I truly am sorry mom, dad. If I don’t meet Sunghoon, your dream still would never come true as I never had the intention to live with someone before I met him. After I met him, it changes everything and he taught me the happiness of having someone by your side. Like both of you.” He uttered. “Jiwon-ah!” She cried. Could not believe what she just heard. “Why did you become like this? Have I ever taught you differently? Am I to blame here? Did I fail as a mother, Jiwon-ah?” She cried out. “It wasn’t your fault, mom.” Jiwon looked down to the floor. “I never had the confidence to live my life like you did. You found each other and had live your life to the fullest. But me…” Jiwon paused. Trying to gain extra strength to continue. “I’ve been nothing but troublesome and worrisome son. And I once again did.” He muttered.

“Then why Jiwon-ah? Do you really have to choose this kind of life? Do you honestly understand the point of view from others?” Mr Eun urged. “I know what people will think about me, Sunghoon or our family, but…” His words died on his lips as his father cut him off. “Do you really know? Cause from what I see, you don’t understand the consequences of your decision. You just decided on a whip without further thinking about anything else but you, yourself. Didn’t you?” He exclaimed. “No, dad. That’s not true. I thought about this carefully and deeply before I decided to do it. I…” For the second time, his father shut him up. “You what? Thought about it carefully? What were the things that you thought about? Yourself? Him? Did we as your parents came across your mind when you thought about it? Did you ever wonder how would we accept this? Or how we’re going to face the neighbours or relatives or outsiders once this matter exposed? Where and how should we hide our embarrassment? Do you think we will be proud of you just because you said you found your perfect partner?” All questions burst from him in an angry rush.

“I don’t care what other people think about. It doesn’t matter to me, dad. All that matters are both of you know and acknowledge us. Others are harmless.” His voice raised by half octave. “That just show ignorant are you. And what? You want us to acknowledge your relationship after you shattered all of our hope? Just because you are our son it doesn’t mean everything you do or choose to do must be agreed by us. Instead it’s you who should obediently follow whatever we told you. And this…” He pointed to Jiwon and Sunghoon. “I never taught you to be a homoual.” He exploded. “It wasn’t my intention too, dad. But it happened.” Jiwon started

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter