Chapter 17

Starry, Starry Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“The magic fades too fast

the scent of summer never lasts

the nights turn hollow and vast

but nothing remains...nothing lasts.”

― Sanober Khan

 

30 years ago.

 

22nd February 1988.

 

A beautiful baby boy was born to this world. His birth alone brightens the entire Kang family for him was the first son of Kang. His first cries brought tears and laughter. His first grips and touch turned into a happiness. The light that lit up the whole room just because he flashed a sudden smile. The small eyes that once in a while peeking thru the eyelids amused people around him. He was everything. A joy. A bliss. A treasure.

 

He then was named Sunghoon. Surname Kang.

 

His family wished him to be able to accomplish everything and gained a good merit in his life. Thus, naming him Sunghoon was perfect. Kang Sunghoon.

 

A year passed, Sunghoon grew up to be a good boy. He lived a happy life together with his parents. Every day was a wonderful and cheerful day. Full of laughter and happiness. Not a day passed without the sound of their laugh.

 

BUT…

 

Nothing last forever.

 

He was two when the terrible accident happened.

 

It was one tragic night.

 

The night started of good. All of them went out for dinner and tour around Jeju Island. It was norm for them to gather and went out for fun. Furthermore, before that his father was just promoted as general manager and they wanted to celebrate it. The night was still young when they decided to call it off.

 

On the way back to their home, a trailer from the opposite direction suddenly lost its control. The driver unable to control the trailer causing it to enter the opposite road. His father could not avoid it as it happened in a blink of an eye. Their car crushed with the trailer. Head to head. His parents were on the front seat, died at the accident scene. His grandparents were sitting on back seat, suffered severe injuries and were rushed to ICU.

 

Sunghoon however was uninjured as he was not in the car when the crush happened. It was lucky for him as he was in the other car with his aunty and uncle. They immediately rushed to the hospital. Sunghoon even though he did not understand what was happening but at that time, he seemed to know what was going on with his parents. He cried, calling out for his parents. It was heart breaking. To see a child as young as him, crying looking for his parents without knowing that his parents already gone. Leaving him alone in this world.

 

His aunty consoled him, diverted him with toys until he fell asleep. Tired after all the crying. He slept dreaming of his parents. Unknowingly, during his sleep, his grandparents whom suffered severe injuries died during surgery. He once again, left by his beloved person.

 

One year ago, that day was a happy and joyful day for them. However, a year later, that same day became a sad and mournful day.

 

22nd February.

 

The day he was born became the day he lost his parents and grandparents.

 

After that incident, Sunghoon lived with his aunty and uncle. Since the tragedy happened when he was still a child, he did not really remember it. Only the story told by his aunty and uncle. And after he learnt that his birthday and his parents and grandparents Memorial Day were the same day, he insisted to never celebrate his birthday anymore.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Growing up knowing he is an orphan, taught Sunghoon to be an independent child. He would try not to bother his aunty and uncle too much. Everything that he could do, he would do it himself. But being an orphan was not a wonderful memory. He was subjected to be bullied during his junior year. Not a day passed without him being pushed around, his shoes missing, his desk being scribbled with nasty words, or being called names.

 

But being Sunghoon, he just kept quiet and smile whenever his aunty or uncle asked. For him, it just a minor damage done and as long as he can survive it, he will survive everything. Even his junior year was terrible; Sunghoon was a good and intelligent student. He was one of the top 5 students in his school and this eventually helped him to get thru the bully situation. None of them ever dare to lay even a finger on him anymore; instead they tried to get on his good side.

 

Sunghoon finally could breathe relief. After all the trouble and hassle during junior year, he managed to get thru. Now that he stepped in high school, he can focus more on himself and help his aunty and uncle in daily life. Eventhough he knew they never agree for him to work after school, they also understood how reliable and independent Sunghoon is. Everything that he wanted, he bought it using his own money. Not once did he ask from them.

 

His uncle used to talk to him about this. Saying that he is not and never will be a burden to them. Instead he is a gift from The Almighty to them. They can never replace his real parents but they will be the best parents he ever wanted. Sunghoon acknowledged that but still, he asked to differ. For him to be independent and strong. Eventually, his aunty and uncle gave up and let him did whatever he wanted provided he asked and discussed with them beforehand.

 

During his high school, his aunty got pregnant with their first child. A son. Named Ko Seungjae. Their life became much more happening and better.

 

But, life betrayed them once again.

 

When Seungjae turned three and Sunghoon was in his final year, his uncle suddenly fell sick. He was bedridden for a month before he passed away. The sudden blow brought another misery to their life.

 

PRESENT

 

“At that time, I was grateful and thankful that Sunghoon able to handle everything. He took care of Seungjae eventhough he already shoulders enough.” She smiled.

 

Jiwon quietly listened to her story. A feeling of proud slipped into his heart. Proud that that man named Kang Sunghoon is his.

 

“He never complaints or whined, not even once. I was in deep depression after my husband died. I tend to neglect my responsibilities as a mother. All house works and chores handled by him. He even ensures me and Seungjae are being taken care of.” She flashed a meek smile.

 

“I still remember the day I gained back my composure and able to smile as before, for the first time after so many years, Sunghoon cried. He cried until he fell asleep. I can still hear his sobbing that day. It was devastated. Even Seungjae could not bear it and cried together. That day remarks a new beginning for us and I swore never to go back to the state that was I before.”

 

“I forgot for a while that I am not alone in this world. Yes, I lost almost all my beloved but I still have two most treasured people in this world. That is why I promised myself never hurt them in anyway possible nor do I permitted anyone to hurt them.” She ended it with warning while staring at Jiwon.

 

Jiwon gulped nervously, now knowing what he faced.

 

They stayed silent for few moments before she started asking.

 

“Why Sunghoon?” Here came the interrogation session.

 

Jiwon breathe deeply. He contemplated his answers before he replied.

 

“Honestly, I do not have a specific answer for that. The first time we met, his voice captivated me. A mellow voice that I thought he was she until I actually face him. It was unexpected and unforgettable. I felt like I am being enchanted, bewitched by him. To the point that I chased him around.” He smiled while reminisced their first meeting.

 

“I searched for him until I found out he works at Forsythia. Coincidently, I had a project related to his work and it created a chance for me to meet and deal with him personally. At first, I thought it was just a matter of misunderstanding. A spur of the moment. The tingly feeling that I felt was nothing. Not until I met him again. The moment I saw him again, I could not help but admitted that I already fell for him.” He looked up to face her.

 

“How can you be so sure that what you felt is love? After all, both of you are man.”

 

“I do not know. All I know is he fill my heart with happiness. Seeing him smile makes me happy. Watching him hurt and sad makes me despair. He is always in my thoughts and he makes me smile even without being present. Eventhough I see him tens of times, I still get butterflies flapping around in my stomach.  With him, I can be myself. Say whatever I want to say or do whatever I want to do or act however I want to act and yet he never judges me. And I always miss him eventhough he is just next to me. If this is not a love, than I’m not sure what I should call it.” He smile weakly.

 

“But still, your relationship might not work out. What will happen to Sunghoon if you break up?” 

 

“I will not let that happen.” He firmly replied.

 

“How can you be so confident? Just a week ago, he came home with his eyes swollen. Gloomy face. Not the usual Sunghoon. Only because of one mere misunderstanding, he was deeply hurt.” She argued.

 

“I admitted it was my fault that this incident happened. But I can promise you it will not happen again.”

 

“I don’t know if I can trust your promise. Do you parents know about this?”

 

“I have yet to inform them.” He slowly replied.

 

She sighed heavily as she heard his answer.

 

“Will they approve it?”

 

Jiwon looked down. He is unable to answer that.

 

She looked at anxious Jiwon and suddenly said.

 

“I won’t approve your relationship with Sunghoon...”

 

Jiwon lost his words the moment he heard that.

 

“Aaa…aun…aunty?” He nervously asked.

 

“No way. The son whom I’ve given all my love through these

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter