Ketchup (MiTzu)

Stressed (and other Tzuyu one-shots)

 

A/N - A soulmate MiTzu from SmolSoftSavage

 

Ketchup (MiTzu)

 

Tzuyu vowed that when she finally found her soulmate she would kill them.

 

She had just finished a VERY long shoot with her bandmates, Chaeyoung and Dahyun. All she had been looking forward to all day was the VERY expensive food that the caterers had prepared for them. The trio were so excited they hadn’t eaten all day, they never usually got more than a quick snack back at their dorm or whatever their bodyguard Jeongyeon could sneak them without their manager, Nayeon, noticing. Tzuyu’s stomach had been growling all throughout her shoot, jealous of Chaeyoung who had reached the table before her and had decided to eat slowly in Tzuyu’s line of sight. Stupid Chaeyoung. So when she finally wrapped she sprinted out to where the food had been set up. She piled food high on her plate, barely stopping to grab chopsticks on her way to the table. She loaded her chopsticks with as much as they could grip and eagerly shoved it all into .

 

Then she tasted it.

 

The sharp taste of ketchup was on her tongue AGAIN. Tzuyu winced, the ketchup not sitting right with the food actually in . To her misery Tzuyu was forced to spit it all out. Soulmates were an unfortunate thing, obviously people needed a way to tell for sure who there’s was. Until two soulmates met for the first time they would taste whatever the other was eating. Usually this would be fine, unless like Dahyun your soulmate loved spicy food that nearly blew her head off. But Tzuyu’s soulmate apparently ate ketchup with every meal.

 

This is alright once.

 

Twice.

 

Heck even three times!

 

But every day? Tzuyu was losing her mind.

 

It would help if the idol actually enjoyed the sauce but the truth was that she found in tasted too strong. The worst part was, it was never just ketchup. Sometimes she’d get the weirdest tastes in like ketchup and bread, or ketchup and watermelon…..WATERMELON! Tzuyu pushed her food away and took out her phone, heading to her SNS account. She knew it wouldn’t help but sometimes it was good to vent via social media.

 

@Chou_Tzuyu: Okay whoever tf my soulmate is would you STOP PUTTING KETCHUP ON EVERYTHING FFS STOP!!!

 

Almost immediately replies came flooding in. Including some from her bandmates.

 

@Official_Dubu: PUHLEASE! wen @Sanaconda nearly blew my head off with that 5 skull fire sauce you just laughed at me.

 

@One_tru_smol: At least they don’t eat jokbal 24/7

 

@Jokbal_Luver: What was that Chae?

 

@One_Tru_Smol: You’re so pretty <3<3

 

As Tzuyu laughed at her friends arguing back and fourth she noticed another comment that caught her eye.

 

@Ballermina: no it’s good. Deal with it.

 

This took Tzuyu by surprise, mostly because it was a crime to wrongfully claim someone was your soulmate. It was something to do with cults and slavery, Tzuyu wasn’t sure. So there was a very strong chance that her soulmate had just reached out to her. She clicked on the girls profile, the profile picture was of a penguin with sunglasses. Her profile was as expected - full of ketchup related food photos and a few dance related shows. Tzuyu decided that it would be best for her to reach out.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: Your profile pic is cool.

 

Nayeon walked in after that to let her know they were done for the day. Packing her beautiful, wasted meal in a to-go box she walked out to the van where Chaeyoung and Dahyun were waiting. Chaeyoung looked up from her phone to the to-go box, then looked at Tzuyu and laughed. Dahyun had the decency to smack Chaeyoung’s arm to shut her up. Tzuyu rolled her eyes and took a seat at the back, taking her phone out to check whether ketchup girl had replied. Sure enough Tzuyu had a notification.

 

Ballermina: Really? A pun is your big opening line?

 

Tzuyu raised an eyebrow. This was new. Usually whenever Tzuyu DM’d someone who was following her (mostly out of boredom) she’d receive caps-locked messages of admiration, poorly written due to the haste they were written in. The young idol found she enjoyed the fact ketchup girl was different.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: An unintentional pun I assure you. So, are you the crazy ketchup girl I’ve been dreaming of?

 

A few seconds later she received a reply.

 

Ballermina: Wow I bet you make all the women swoon!

 

Chou_Tzuyu: I have my moments. So are you?

 

Ballermina: I believe I am.

 

Tzuyu felt a smile spread across her lips.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: Mind if I test your theory? It’s not safe to trust strange ketchup enthusiasts online.

 

Ballermina: Sure :)

 

Tzuyu nearly screamed, she had received an emoji! Tzuyu opened her to-go box and took a bite out of some of the gourmet chicken, almost ally as she tasted it - thankfully ketchup free.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: What did I just eat?

 

Ballermina: The most expensive chicken I’ve ever tasted. You really need to let off the posh food.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: Only when you lay off the ketchup.

 

Ballermina: I see we’ve reached an impasse.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: I believe so.

 

Ballermina: I like you Tzuyu, you’re not as delusional as I thought you’d be.

Chou_Tzuyu: I’ll take that as a compliment…I like you too ketchup-girl.

 

Ballermina: Please call me Mina, ketchup-girl is too weird.

 

They messaged back and fourth the whole ride home, discussing which foods each other should avoid. Mina had held her stance that she would not be giving up her sauce but had agreed to maybe not creating such weird combinations (like who the hell eats ketchup on cereal??). They also worked out when each other could eat without having to worry about other foods invading their senses. Chaeyoung and Dahyun looked over at one point after noticing the maknae wasn’t paying them any attention. They saw the girl smiling at her phone leading both girls to agree that Tzuyu would have to show them whatever dog video she was watching.

 

They arrived back at their dorm where Sana and Momo were waiting. Soulmates were legally required to live together a year after meeting (there were some exceptions like: living countries away, being under the age of eighteen, things like that). Sana, whilst clumsy, made a good cook and Momo became their choreographer - best in the biz! Both girls greeted their soulmates once they walked in, it didn’t bother Tzuyu like it usually did. She didn’t look up from her phone as she walked past them and jumped onto the couch. Sana raised an eyebrow, she and Tzuyu had been close friends - the younger girl introducing her to Dahyun. Tzuyu had never acted so….giddy. The wheels turned in her head before she let out a squeal.

 

Ballermina: I live in Japan btw, I know you’re in Korea obviously.

 

Chou_Tzuyu: But do you know where I’m really from?

 

Ballermina: Taiwan :P

 

Chou_Tzuyu: Did you google that right now?

 

Ballermina: No and you can’t prove it either 0_0

 

Chou_Tzuyu: You’re cufkkhewnivuieoihr;iwmrht;I

 

Sana tackled Tzuyu off of the couch and on to the floor, hugging her tightly. She was babbling something in Japanese so quickly that even Momo couldn’t decipher it. Tzuyu shouted for help and Dahyun went over to pry her girlfriend off of her friend. Extra strength sponsored by jealousy.

 

“Sana what the hell?” Tzuyu snapped from the floor,

 

Sana vibrated in excitement next to Dahyun, “You!”

 

“Her?” Chaeyoung replied helping Tzuyu to her feet,

 

Sana ignored her, “You’ve found your soulmate haven’t you?”

 

There was a pause as Tzuyu looked down to hide her blush.

 

“Oh my God!” Chaeyoung snapped smacking the younger girl on her back making her wince, “Why didn’t you tell us?”

 

“Because I only just found her,” Tzuyu told them shyly, “Her name is Mina.”

 

_____

 

 

A few months past and Tzuyu spoke to Mina every day she wanted to learn everything she could about the Japanese girl. She learnt that Mina was a ballet dancer and had been dancing all her life, she was also really smart having been valedictorian when she graduated. They video chatted quite a few times and Tzuyu thought she was the most beautiful person she had ever seen. Almost every night they would fall asleep talking to one another, it was the happiest Tzuyu had ever been. Today being the highlight of it all. Dahyun, Chaeyoung and herself along with Momo and Sana were going to Japan for a tour. As their first stop was Kobe, where Mina lived, they planned to meet her at the airport so she could join them.

 

The entire flight Tzuyu was fidgeting much to the annoyance of Nayeon who had sat next to her. The others were all excited for Tzuyu, remembering the feeling of holding their own soulmates for the first time. The sparks, the connection, the hands on the ……Sana and Dahyun’s meeting was memorable to say the least. Once the plane landed and the group had been chaperoned by security through customs, Tzuyu practically sprinting to the arrivals gate. She looked around the sea of people and eventually spotted a familiar penguin sitting by herself on the chairs, she seemed to be messaging someone.

 

Tzuyu paused, what should she do? Run and hug her or just text her that she can see her. Before Tzuyu’s nerves made her double back, Mina looked up and their eyes locked for the first time. For a moment neither moved, until Mina’s face broke out in the beautiful gummy smile Tzuyu had come to adore. The taller girl smiled back and ran towards her, abandoning her luggage with no fear as to who would steal it. When they finally met Mina nearly pulled the girl down as she hugged her neck tightly. Tzuyu vaguely heard Sana fangirling behind her as a desperate Jihyo, their PR lady, tried to calm her down. After a while they pulled apart and smiled again at each other, this time they were more shy.

 

“Hi.” Tzuyu said,

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.”

 

“You said that already.”

 

“I did?”

 

Tzuyu heard Chaeyoung slap her forehead but chose to ignore her. Instead she blushed and awkwardly rocked on her heels. Mina giggled at her and Tzuyu smiled once more, she liked Mina’s laugh - especially hearing it in person. They all made their way outside, Mina requesting Tzuyu came with her before going to the hotel. When the girl from Taiwan learned she would be meeting Mina’s parents she nearly fell backwards but luckily Jeongyeon steadied her and helped guide her to the car. Despite Tzuyu’s nerves the conversation flowed easy as Mina taught her Japanese, laughing at her pronunciation of the words and correcting her when she was off. Eventually they arrived at a large house which Tzuyu was a little intimidated by.

 

Tzuyu had come from a rich family, that was not the issue, but she was also very humble. Her parents had taught their children to work hard, even forcing her to complete her Taiwanese middle school and continue high school in Korea. Growing up she had met a lot of spoilt families who were born into their money and she hated them. Tzuyu began to fear that Mina’s family could also be like that. Mina wasn’t but Tzuyu didn’t know what her parents would expect. She subtly began fixing herself until Mina placed a gentle hand on her arm.

 

“You look beautiful.”

 

Tzuyu laughed nervously, “My, my aren’t we cheesy.”

 

Mina rolled her eyes, “You’re more annoying in person. Come on!”

 

Tzuyu followed her up the long driveway, trying not to swallow her tongue. Meeting Mina’s parents was a strange experience her Mother spoke in very quick Japanese leaving poor Mina to translate as quickly as she could. Tzuyu later asked Mina why she learnt Korean and the girl confessed she liked a KPop band a few years ago and learnt the language so that she wouldn’t need to wait for translations. From the little Japanese Tzuyu DID know, Mina’s father was unhappy that Mina’s soulmate was a woman. Tzuyu quite liked her older brother though, he was nice to her - only threatening her once as Tzuyu was sure her own brother would when he met Mina. After a very awkward few moments where Mina ran upstairs to grab her things the duo said goodbye and Tzuyu all but ran out the door. Once they arrived at their hotel room Mina doubled over in laughter at Tzuyu’s reaction to what Sana had done to her room.

 

Rose petals were everywhere and lacy underwear had been laid out for them both. Tzuyu did not want to know how Sana guessed Mina’s sizes.

 

Sensing Tzuyu was still a little too….naive for such activities Mina helped clear everything away (stealing the lacy articles for future use). In the end they ordered room service on Nayeon’s credit card and sat up talking about what they wanted to do on this Japan trip. After a while Tzuyu remembered something that she needed to talk to Mina about.

 

“I need to ask you something.” Tzuyu asked as she lay belly down on the bed opposite Mina, their food between them,

 

“Ask away.” Mina smiled popping a tomato into ,

 

“Would you be alright with us not being out to the media yet?”

 

Mina cocked her head, “Are you embarrassed of me?”

 

Tzuyu sat up quickly, “No, no, no, no, no!”

 

Mina giggled a little, “Was that a no?”

 

“It’s just that when the media find out that you’re my mate it’ll be really hard to do…well anything!” Tzuyu explained looking down shyly, “I just want you all to myself for a while is that bad?”

 

Mina lifted her chin with one finger, “It’s not bad. Tell you what, I’ll agree to keeping things on the down low if…”

 

“If?”

 

“You kiss me right now.”

 

Tzuyu smirked, “Deal.”

 

Tzuyu leaned forward and gently captured Mina’s lips with her own.

 

_____

 

 

It had been a month since Tzuyu had returned from Japan. Mina had said goodbye to them and, after making sure they were the last people by the gate, Tzuyu kissed her one last time before they left. Both girls had video chatted everyday like they used too and Mina had even begun to tie up her loose ends in Japan so that she could come to live with Tzuyu in Korea. The younger girl had been delighted that Mina had made such fast friends with Sana and Momo on tour, things would have been problematic if they hadn’t got along. The past week however Tzuyu had been busy preparing for a  special stage with members of other girl groups. This meant that Mina and Tzuyu had been settling for just texting one another rather than hour long video calls. There had been a lot in the media lately that Tzuyu had found her mate via twitter, the tweet making headlines, however they could not trace who they had dubbed “Ketchup- Girl” back to Mina. The current theory was that it was another idol and that that’s why things were being kept hush, hush.

 

One day after rehearsal Tzuyu was just walking out of the changing room when Elkie ran over. Elkie and Tzuyu had been friends for a very long time, when Tzuyu was still quite new to the KPop industry Elkie was the first person she met that spoke Mandarin. They were performing the special stage together along with Yeri and Jennie. After the long rehearsal both girls were hungry and so they went round the corner for a burger and chips - not strictly on their diet plan but they’d been working hard all day. They grabbed a seat by the window and gave their orders, salivating when the two juicy burgers appeared in front of them.

 

“It looks ic.”

 

Tzuyu blushed, “Elkie, you can’t say things like that.”

 

Her friend rolled her eyes, “Come on Tzuyu, you’ve got a soulmate now you’ll need to learn to not be so shy about such things.”

 

Tzuyu was glad that Elkie and herself only spoke in Chinese.

 

Elkie just more as she put ketchup over her chips. Tzuyu smiled as she was reminded of her girlfriend, she couldn’t wait until Mina would finally be with her all the time in Korea. Elkie rolled her eyes playfully as Tzuyu gushed to her about the ketchup-enthusiast, however she was also happy for Tzuyu. It was quite a nice and relaxed afternoon, soon Tzuyu found herself back into her bedroom. Her laptop was open as the video call tried to connect…only it was declined. Tzuyu cocked her head, that had never happened before. So she tried again….

 

And again…

 

And again…

 

And again…

 

Then on what Tzuyu thought would be her final attempt Mina’s face appeared on the screen. It wasn’t the usual gummy smile she was used too seeing, Mina had been crying. The red rings round her eyes caused Tzuyu herself great distress - she wanted nothing more than to take the girl into her arms and comfort her…only she couldn’t. What surprised her more was when Mina sent her a harsh glare.

 

“What?”

 

“Mina,” Tzuyu practically whispered, “What’s happened?”

 

Mina sniffled but her angry look stayed as she set Tzuyu a link, “Explain this.”

 

Tzuyu quickly clicked it open, wondering what the could have done to upset someone so precious to her. When it loaded Tzuyu’s heart stopped. Two photo’s were used in the article, one of Tzuyu and Elkie eating lunch (when Elkie had covered her chips in ketchup). The other was as they were saying goodbye outside the restaurant with a hug. The article itself was full of misinformation which all led to the same conclusion: Elkie was ketchup-girl. The article made up details like Elkie and Tzuyu having stayed over at each others dorms and left in the same clothes the following day or it claimed that an unknown source had confirmed they were dating. None of it was true.

 

“You don’t really believe this, do you?” Tzuyu asked,

 

Mina scoffed, “I don’t know. Tzuyu we barely know each other, you could have been lying to me this whole time.”

 

“That’s not fair!” Tzuyu snapped, “When have I not been honest with you?”

 

Mina rolled her eyes, “Oh please Little Miss Honesty, you’re lying to your fans right now! If this relationship is just going to consist of me being your dirty little secret while you flirt with every female idol that passes you then I’d rather be alone.”

 

“Do you think I’m that awful?” Tzuyu dropped her expressionless mask back on,

 

“Again: I DON’T KNOW! But as I was reading this it did strike me as odd that I’m giving up so much for you--”

 

“I never asked you too!”

 

“Well would you end your career to live with me in Japan?”

 

“I would be open to discussing it,” Tzuyu snapped, “But up until now I was led to believe you were looking forward to it so don’t get mad at me if you’re unhappy when you never gave me the slightest inclination that you are going to resent me for it.”

 

Mina at that moment seemed to have vented most if her anger and finally began processing her words, “Sorry Tzuyu it just hurts to see these things all over the news. What would you think?”

 

“I would trust you.” Tzuyu replied, face expressionless, “If you can’t trust me then maybe…maybe you shouldn’t come to Korea. Maybe this is all too soon.”

 

“Tzuyu…”

 

“No Mina,” Tzuyu told her firmly, “I’m tired, I’ll text you tomorrow.”

 

Tzuyu hung up the call and lay back on her bed, everyone was out for the evening and so Tzuyu felt it was safe to cry. She was the type of girl to bottle things up until nobody would see her tears. Tzuyu couldn’t believe that Mina didn’t trust her, they had spoken for hours about the fact that Tzuyu valued honesty above anything else. At one point she’d checked her phone to see Elkie, Jihyo and Nayeon had all messaged her. Elkie had wanted to apologise for everything, laughing it off because that’s how they’d usually handle dating rumours - finding them hilarious. Nayeon was checking to see if she had spoken to Mina while Jihyo was letting her know that she had released a statement declaring Elkie not her soulmate.

 

She left them all on read, not in the mood to write back.

 

Eventually, Sana’s head poked round the door. Nayeon had called them all to let them know that Tzuyu wasn’t answering her messages. By that point Tzuyu had a hold of her emotions, pushing them down once more to remain stoic. She told Sana what had happened, allowing the girl a second to read the article for herself. Tzuyu could understand Mina’s feelings, really she could but it was the fact Mina thought she would do such a horrible thing that had hurt her feelings. Sana wrapped her friend in a tight hug and for the first time Tzuyu didn’t shove her away.

 

“It’s all my fault.”

 

“No it’s not,” Sana told her, “It’s just miscommunication mixed with feelings of separation anxiety. When she gets to Korea--”

 

“If.” Tzuyu spat quietly, correcting Sana,

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“She may not still be coming.”

 

“Oh Tzu…”

 

____

 

A few weeks later it was the day Mina was supposed to arrive in Korea. Tzuyu hadn’t messaged her since their fight, she didn’t know where to begin. So nobody knew if Mina would be on the plane today. If the months before the fight had been the happiest of Tzuyu’s life, the months after had been the worst. When someone was away from their mate after meeting, with absolutely no contact, it would begin to get painful and bring their mood down. For Tzuyu’s friends it hurt them to see the one sarcastic, blunt, happy girl recede into herself - becoming a shell of who she was. As they themselves where all mated they couldn’t imagine spending a weekend apart let alone go months without any contact.

 

Tzuyu herself had began focusing on their upcoming special stage to distract her from any thoughts of Mina. Occasionally, she’d pick up her phone to text her but ultimately she’d delete the message and go back to practising. It’s not like Mina was trying to get in touch with her anyway. The day of the performance coincided with Mina’s flight and so Jeongyeon had offered to go and check if Mina gets off the flight, if she didn’t Tzuyu decided to let her go. While soulmates were 99% perfect occasionally the fates make a mistake. They pair people up with people who are abusive or cruel or just not compatible. Some people never met their mates, it happened. They would reach out to someone in the same situation and marry them.

 

Jeongyeon had left for the airport an hour ago and Mina’s flight would get in at any minute. Nayeon had texted her and only just now received a message that she hadn’t found her yet. Tzuyu decided to not put any hope in it, last time they’d spoke Mina had told her she didn’t really want to go to Korea - why would she come when they were barely talking. She ended up unable to handle the tension in her dressing room so she joined Elkie in the wings of the stage, watching the performances. Their special stage had been at the start and now she was waiting for her real stage with her members. She wasn’t really feeling into it, so she just watched as the act before her own performed their hearts out. She was very nearly ready to pull out sick when Elkie nudged her ribs. Tzuyu looked at her, angry that she had distracted her train of thought when she recognised a familiar penguin standing behind her friend.

 

Mina was giving her the biggest gummy smile Tzuyu had ever seen.

 

“You came.”

 

“I did.” Mina confirmed before sighing, “Tzuyu I’m so sorry--”

 

“It’s okay, I asked a lot of you--”

 

“No! I want to be here Tzuyu….I was just stressed.” Mina told her desperately, “I love you.”

 

Tzuyu smiled, “I love you too.”

 

She stood up to go hug her but fate had never liked Tzuyu very much as at that moment her friends rounded the corner and dragged her on stage leaving Sana and Momo with Mina - both grinning happily at her. This performance Tzuyu gave it her all, not because she was trying to forget something but because the childish part wanted to impress Mina. For her part Mina stared as Tzuyu performed, really enjoying the short shorts she was wearing. So Tzuyu wanted to keep things private for a while, Mina just had to trust her. Plus Sana had called her and read her to rights for ignoring the maknae.

 

“Thank you for coming.” Sana told her quietly,

 

“You were right, I couldn’t live without her.”

 

Momo rolled her eyes, “Don’t tell Sana that, she’ll never stop bragging.”

 

They watched the entire performance cheering louder than anyone else when their girls finished. As was customary Sana and Momo ran on to the stage to congratulate their soulmates on a good performance. Mina sighed sadly, looking at the floor in front of her, accepting the way things had to be for now. Then suddenly a hand came into vision, she looked up to see Tzuyu’s one-dimpled smile.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Tzuyu nodded, “You’re no longer going to be a dirty little secret.”

 

Mina took her hand and Tzuyu led her towards the hosts, Mina heard applause thundering from around the concert hall. In her slight stage fright she hugged Tzuyu, burying her head in the taller girls neck. The host laughed and asked Tzuyu introduce the girl, as she was a girl of few words it was short and sweet. People all over South Korea awwing. Then chanting began from the audience: “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!”. Over and over until even those on stage were jumping around chanting it. Mina looked at Tzuyu in question.

 

“You trust me?” Tzuyu asked,

 

“Always.”

 

Tzuyu leaned down and captured her lips, smiling at the taste of ketchup on them. A taste she had now come to adore.

 

Mina on the other hand was just glad she had brought the lingerie that Sana had bought them back in Japan.