Stressed (SeolTzu)

Stressed (and other Tzuyu one-shots)

Summary: Sometimes the pressure just gets to you.

 

A/N - This is a request from Luv-Ra: it serves as an apology for SeolTzu not being endgame in Closer. Not too proud of it but may do a part 2

 

Stressed

 

Tzuyu decided she hated fan meetings.

 

Not the meeting fans part, she loved that. She just hated the part after when they all would fool around on stage, all throwing in a great deal of fan service. For the others this was fine: Jeongyeon and Nayeon taking every opportunity to tease each other and Jihyo, Mina and Chaeyoung acting cute and playing with gifts. All showing skin-ship in one way or another. However, Tzuyu wasn’t very good at that sort of thing so they rarely involved her in their antics. So while they all messed around and joked with each other Tzuyu posed for the cameras and tried to ignore the main cause of her distress.

 

Sana.

 

Not that the older girl new the heartache she was causing the long legged maknae, but Tzuyu still couldn’t look in her direction. In fact she had been openly avoiding her for the past few weeks, just seeing her would cause her chest to tighten painfully. Sana was far to oblivious to notice and Tzuyu didn’t find it easy to show her emotions so nobody had commented on the weirdness between them. As if the crowd read her mind they suddenly began to cheer loudly. Tzuyu turned round and immediately regretted it. At the other end of the stage Sana’s lips were on Dahyun’s cheek, Tzuyu remained expressionless despite the pain in her chest. A similar feeling the dancer next to her was experiencing - however Tzuyu was too wrapped up in her own thoughts to notice. As the cheers died down Tzuyu opted to just go and sit behind the others. It’s not like any of them would notice for a while.

 

“I’m sorry Tzu, but you’re just too young to feel that way.”

 

Not like Dahyun was much older.

 

“I love you but…I just….”

 

She just loved Dahyun more.

 

“Besides, you probably don’t even like women!”

 

Tzuyu knew she did and that hurt enough without Sana just brushing her off.

 

“Okay everyone should we play a game?” Jihyo asked the audience,

 

“Mafia game?” Jeongyeon suggested,

 

Tzuyu tuned them out and instead started playing with the gifts Once had given them. The game went on in front of her and she looked up scarcely - only when the audience were laughing loud enough to disturb her thoughts. Momo had, as usual, been killed first and was found to be innocent. After her ‘death’ Momo walked over to Jeongyeon and sulked. Tzuyu began to see why Jeongyeon liked being the narrator, it was interesting to see how the mafia - Chaeyoung and Nayeon - acted when they were in the role. How they deceived the others, how they would turn people against each other. Tzuyu chuckled to herself: she wished she was good at this game.

 

Sometimes she wished she was good at something.

 

“Maybe it’s Dahyun or Mina, they’re being really quiet.” Sana stated,

 

“Mina’s always quiet though.” Dahyun replied,

 

“See they’re defending each other!” Chaeyoung shouted trying to shift blame,

 

“C’mon Chae, Maknae line! We look out for each other, you know me!”

 

“She has a point.”

 

Ouch. Tzuyu thought dryly.

 

“It’s now morning,” Jeongyeon said, “Mina has died.”

 

“Eh!?”

 

Once laughed as Mina, the doctor, sulked. She had chosen to save Nayeon and been murdered by the girl herself. Almost like a K-Drama. Mina frowned and walked to the back table, she raised her eyebrows when she saw Tzuyu at the table and tried recalling when she’d been killed. When she found she couldn’t remember Tzuyu being involved in the game at all, she felt slightly guilty that she hadn’t noticed before and decided she’d speak to Tzuyu after the fansign. The game lasted a few more rounds until finally:

 

“It’s morning, Jihyo has died,”Sana stood sharply pointing at Chaeyoung and Nayeon, “Mafia win.”

 

“That was really hard!” Sana whined stomping to Dahyun for faux comfort,

 

“I might have to watch this back and figure out where we went wrong.” Jihyo joked, gesturing to the cameras that had been recording the entire time,

 

Tzuyu rolled her eyes at them, they hadn’t noticed her lack of participation and that was fine. Instead of taking part in the rest of the event Tzuyu sat at the back, waving at cameras and wincing occasionally when her head began to pound. Eventually they began to wrap up and the managers came on stage to pack up the gifts. Mina made sure she walked off last with Tzuyu so that they could talk without drawing too much attention - neither of them were fans of that.

 

“Chewy-ah?” Mina asked quietly once they were off stage,

 

“Yes Mina-unnie?”

 

“Why didn’t you play with us?”

 

Tzuyu’s mind worked quickly to think of a lie, “I was daydreaming and by the time I realised you guys had started.”

 

Mina frowned, “I’m sorry, you should’ve said something.”

 

Tzuyu forced a small smile, “You know how hard it is to talk over the others - especially Jihyo.”

 

Mina laughed but abruptly stopped when Tzuyu winced, “You alright?”

 

Tzuyu nodded, “Just a headache.”

 

_______

 

“Tzuyu! Good news!” Their manager announced walking in to the rehearsal room,

 

The girls were all taking a break after two hours of non-stop dancing. Tzuyu had been scolded by Jihyo and surprisingly Momo for continually forgetting/messing up the choreography. She had complained to them that she was distracted by the same headache she’d been complaining about for days. The first few times she had complained Nayeon, Jihyo and Jeongyeon provided painkillers and let her rest but now Tzuyu knew they thought she was lying. Due to this now it wasn’t just Sana staying away from her, they all were - Jihyo snapping and telling her she couldn’t keep using a headache as an excuse.

 

Tzuyu looked up from where she lay in the corner, trying to ignore the pounding in her head as she stood and walked over to the smiling man. She heard a tut as she winced and, while her Korean wasn’t the best, she recognised the phrasing “laying it on thick”. She sighed, she could remember another time they had ignored her…that time was out of fear that the younger girl had ruined their careers before they’d even started. Tzuyu shook that painful memory away and chose to ignore them and walked out into the hallway with their manager - he himself noticed the tension and hoped his news would help ease things a little.

 

“What’s the news manager-nim?”

 

The manager laughed, “Tzuyu, please call me Pinky-oppa like the others.”

 

“Mianhe.”

 

“Don’t worry about that,” Pinky-oppa smiled, “I have been asked whether or not you’d like to do a special stage with Seolhyun again? Do you remember her?”

 

Tzuyu thought back, she certainly remembered the older girl but didn’t get much chance to talk with her one on one. Seolhyun was closer with Hani and Tzuyu herself had been preparing for five special stages in that one show and she had been too sleep deprived to be social. She’d been kind, from what Tzuyu could remember and a special stage with her meant she could pull out of the one Twice was doing with a few other girl groups.

 

“I’ll do it.”

 

“Wait,” The manager said face falling slightly, “The only thing is, this dance is a y concept based on social taboo.”

 

“So we’d have to be lovers?”

 

“Correct.”

 

Tzuyu paused, she really didn’t want to give her unnie’s anything else to worry about and knowing that they themselves didn’t really care about that sort of thing - most of Korea did. Tzuyu had grown up in Taiwan, known to be one of the more accepting countries in regards to the LGBTQ*, but it was still not on the same level as the USA or the United Kingdom. She had never really seen anything wrong with it, but she had been punished for her assumed beliefs before. On the other hand, this may be her one chance to do this sort of concept and make her unnie’s realise she wasn’t a child….to make Sana realise she wasn’t a child.

 

“I’m still in.” Tzuyu decided,

 

“Great! I’ll give Seolhyun’s people your number!”

 

Tzuyu was then able to return to the rehearsal space where the group were gathered around Jihyo’s phone laughing. The appeared to be re-watching the fancams from last weeks meet. Tzuyu sighed and immediately went to stretch and ready herself for the end of the break. She began slowly marking the moves to try and not forget anything, ignoring the pounding in her head. After a moment she heard whispering behind her, she nearly turned round to ask what was going on but luckily she didn’t have to as Mina approached her quietly.

 

“They know you didn’t play mafia last week.”

 

“I gathered.” Tzuyu replied still stretching,

 

“Jihyo’s worried about you.” Mina told her,

 

Tzuyu didn’t comment. Mina didn’t push it either, she and Tzuyu knew that neither of them were good at talking things out so instead she decided to wait until Tzuyu wanted to talk to her. Jihyo called an end to their break and everyone returned to their places a few of the older ones side-eyeing her, but no one approaching.

 

 

_________

 

Tzuyu walked in to the rehearsal space on time to meet Seolhyun. The older girl had just finished rehearsing with the rest of AOA so it was no surprise that when Tzuyu walked in Chanmi was also there. Tzuyu bowed to both girls in politeness, Chanmi said her goodbye and left to find the others. Seolhyun smiled kindly at the younger girl, she could tell Tzuyu was nervous as it wasn’t often she was one on one with other idols. Seolhyun was more social and therefore was happy to steer most of the conversation - she asked how Twice were doing, if they had any new songs coming out, etc. Tzuyu would answer politely and then return the question. Conversation eventually became less and less awkward until Tzuyu was able to relax. With relaxation came the intensity of the headache and Tzuyu winced visibly.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Y-Yeah, just a bad headache.” Tzuyu said quietly, scared she’d scold her like the others had,

 

Aww she’s so cute!

 

Seolhyun smiled gently at her and moved from the bench to the floor. She gestured for Tzuyu to sit in between her legs and the younger girl looked at her, confused, “Shouldn’t we start rehearsing?”

 

“Not today, we can start all that tomorrow now sit down.”

 

Tzuyu, unable to refuse her unnie, moved and sat with her back facing the older girl. Seolhyun smile widened a little and she gently set her hands on Tzuyu’s shoulders. Immediately she was shocked with how tight they were, she knew what stress was like but Tzuyu was not even twenty. She was way too young for this sort of tension in her body. Tzuyu felt the tension slowly begin to fade as Seolhyun massaged her shoulders, for once she let her perfect posture slump as she just enjoyed having someone else trying to help her for a change. After a few minuets of silence Seolhyun found a knot on Tzuyu’s shoulder blade and when she finally massaged it out Tzuyu let out a little moan, flustering Seolhyun.

 

Oh ...

 

O-Okay Tzuyu, why don’t we listen to the song?”

 

Seolhyun hurriedly stood and Tzuyu followed suit rolling her shoulders. The younger girl bowed, “Thank you, Sunbaenim.”

 

Seolhyun chuckled, “Don’t do that. Stop bowing and stop the honorifics.”

 

Tzuyu looked shocked, “B-But Jihyo-Unnie--”

 

“Jihyo-Unnie, isn’t here.” Seolhyun said kindly, “Just me and you, let’s be equals not unnie and dongsaeng.”

 

Tzuyu hesitated but eventually gave a small smile, “Okay un---Seolhyun.”

 

“Good girl!” Seolhyun grinned, “Let listen!”

 

The song itself made Tzuyu blush a little, she hadn’t even listened to a song yet here she was dancing too one. It was about Tzuyu’s character (a school girl) trying to seduce her teacher. Imagining herself singing these lines to Seolhyun made her embarrassed. She was use to Twice, cute Twice, Candy Pop Twice, Shy Shy Shy! She’d never done…y. She had done an advert that came close but that didn’t involve another person. After their third listen Seolhyun began writing down ideas, she began talking about getting Chanmi and Hyejeong to come and help them choreograph once they had the words down. When Tzuyu didn’t respond she looked up to see what had happened and found the girl looking overwhelmed. Seolhyun reached out a hand and squeezed Tzuyu’s gently making the younger girl look at her.

 

“You okay?”

 

Tzuyu nodded, “I’ve just…never done this sort of thing before.”

 

Seolhyun chuckled at how her words sounded out of context but decided not to mention it, “Don’t worry, we’ll hang out every day for practice and you’ll be comfortable with me in no time.”

 

Tzuyu nodded and smiled gratefully.

 

______

 

True to her word Seolhyun met with Tzuyu every day to rehearse, occasionally with Chanmi and Hyejeong, but mostly it was just the two of them one on one. The rehearsals all started the same way, Tzuyu nursing her ever growing headache and Seolhyun rubbing her shoulders until it subsided. Then they’d rehearse until dinner and Seolhyun would offer to go for food with the younger girl. Tzuyu would agree but wouldn’t eat due to her fellow members waiting with food at the dorm.

 

That was a lie but Seolhyun didn’t need to know that every time Tzuyu walked into the dorm she was made to feel so uncomfortable that her headache would return and she would go to bed without eating. Tzuyu found justification for it: the hungrier she was the harder she’d dance and sing to ignore the pain. Despite this added vigour Seolhyun couldn’t help but notice Tzuyu was still being robotic and stiff. While they had been getting closer and closer, Tzuyu still held herself back. This led to Seolhyun asking if it was the subject matter that was the problem to which Tzuyu declined adamantly.

 

 The end result of this was that they ended up talking for over three hours about uality and equality. Seolhyun confessed that she herself had been interested in a few women but had never pursued anything more than a one night stand a few years ago. Tzuyu had been both shocked and delighted by this knowledge. Knowing she wouldn’t be judged she told Seolhyun about her crush on Sana and how she had confessed only to be completely written off as a ‘child’. Seolhyun then suggested they ran it a couple more times - only this time she wanted Tzuyu to imagine it was Sana she was dancing with.

 

The wall was gone and Tzuyu danced fluidly and sensually enough that Seolhyun was sure she’d get a nose bleed. For Tzuyu, as the song looped over and over, she found herself seeing less and less of Sana and began focusing on only Seolhyun. Before she left to go back to her dorm Seolhyun had pecked Tzuyu’s cheek and said well done. As she walked into the dorm that night Tzuyu had a small smile on her face. She couldn’t quite place what it was but something had changed the dynamic of the duo during their conversation and now, rather than nervous, she was excited to perform with the older girl.

 

“Hey.” She said quietly as she walked to the kitchen and past the others who were watching television,

 

“Where have you been?” Nayeon asked from the sofa,

 

“I told you,” Tzuyu said returning to the living room with water and painkillers, “I’m preparing for a special stage with Seolhyun-Sunbaenim.”

 

Seolhyun-Sunbaenim is such a mouthful.

 

This sparked Momo’s interest, “You got a good dance?”

 

Tzuyu’s mind went to the rehearsal they just had, the grinding, pulling Seolhyun close only for her to push away, the perfect push and pull dance, “You could say that.”

 

Momo raised an eyebrow while Mina, the only one paying attention to the other two, smirked a little, “Are you blushing?”

 

“No just…” Tzuyu stammered before holding up the painkillers, “Headache.”

 

“C’mon Tzuyu,” Jeongyeon laughed, “You’re still playing that card?”

 

Tzuyu looked down. Momo and Mina exchanged a look, they too had been wrapped up in the theory that Tzuyu had been faking to get some attention. They all had at one point or another, nine personalities - some would be out shined. But the look of pure saddness on Tzuyu’s previously smiling face hurt them both deeply - Mina was sure that if the others had been looking at her they would have realised it too.

 

“Dinners nearly ready.” Jihyo said not looking over,

 

“I’m not hungry.” Tzuyu whispered retreating to her room,

 

Mina stood and Momo followed her to the maknaes’ room. They walked in without looking and found Tzuyu laying on her bed staring at the ceiling. Mina wasn’t stupid, she’d seen the looks the maknae had sent to their fellow J-Liner. Tzuyu had never said anything to any of them about it but she didn’t blame her. The Korean members tended to be more vocal about not wanting to kiss other members, or act relationship-y, it was mostly Sana and Momo that did all that. Take Jihyo trying to kiss Jeongyeon on Weekly Idol for example.

 

“So tell us about your special stage?” Momo asked laying next to maknae and ignoring the tension,

 

Mina smiled, Momo was good at making things less awkward.

 

Tzuyu paused and looked at them both carefully, “I’m scared.”

 

Momo sat up and Mina approached carefully, Tzuyu had never said that before. No matter what people threw at her she kept her head high, never admitting how afraid she was. The only idea they ever got that she wasn’t as brave as she pretended to be was when she hesitated at the door before leaving for Taiwan after…..everything. Momo swung an arm round her as Mina sat looking at her with compassion, “What’s scaring you?”

 

Tzuyu sighed, “I can’t say.”

 

“You can tell us anything, Tzu.” Mina told her seriously,

 

Tzuyu hesitated again, “I’m doing a couple dance with Seolhyun, it’s supposed to be ‘Taboo’.”

 

Momo chuckled, “Is that it?”

 

“Don’t worry about that Tzu,” Mina said with a smile after batting Momo’s arm, “Momo and I did a couple dance.”

 

“Yeah but…” Tzuyu looked down,

 

Momo could see she was close to tears and wrapped her in a hug, Mina joining too. Then Tzuyu spilled everything, her feelings for Sana and her rejection, her time with Seolhyun and everything that had happened that evening, including the kiss on the cheek.

 

“Do you want to kiss her?” Mina asked carefully,

 

Tzuyu nodded shyly, “I-I think so.”

 

She closed her eyes expecting disgust…

 

“AWWW! Tzuyu’s all grown up!”

 

The two girls tackled her into the mattress and began cooing over their maknae’s little crush. For Tzuyu all was right in that moment.

 

 

____

 

Soon it was the day of the show and Tzuyu was buzzing. Not only would she and Seolhyun be doing what she would say was the best performance in the show but she’d also managed to get the only single room in their hotel. In her excitement she didn’t even eat, she just went straight into rehearsals. Seolhyun greeted her with a grin and a hug, pecking her cheek as the older girl had taken to doing. They then practised right up until Tzuyu had to go get ready for Twice’s stage. It was Sana who had been sent to come get her and she had caught the duo in an awkward position: Tzuyu leaning over Seolhyun who was lying on a desk, pulling on the younger girls tie to bring her as close as possible. It was their final position.

 

Tzuyu was looking down at Seolhyun panting, so close Seolhyun could feel her short breaths on her own lips. As twisted as it sounded Seolhyun knew it’d be harder to stop herself closing the gap between them when Tzuyu was wearing the full uniform and not just her tie. Tzuyu knew they couldn’t kiss, it would get rid on the and that would ruin the effect. But she was struggling for a moment, how could she resist with that look Seolhyun was giving her.

 

Then the door opened.

 

“Tzuyu, time to get---What the ?” Sana snapped causing Tzuyu to spring away,

 

Seolhyun rolled her eyes and stood up, “Relax, it’s part of the dance.”

 

“I don’t think you should be doing those sorts of move with someone so…young.” Sana scolded feeling a need to defend the maknae,

 

“She’s almost 19, she’s not a kid.” Seolhyun replied grabbing her stuff and pecking Tzuyu on the cheek, “Good luck Tzuyu.”

 

“Thanks Seolhyun.” Tzuyu said smiling at her as she left before looking back at Sana, “What?”

 

Sana had her arms crossed and an angry look on her face, “Just come on.”

 

Urg Tzuyu’s headache was back as soon as she stepped into the loudness of the dressing room. Sana walked over to Dahyun immediately but Tzuyu found she didn’t care and just focused on getting ready. She greeted Mina and Momo who both began teasing her about her upcoming special stage, more importantly her dance partner. Nayeon and Jeongyeon had picked up on it but hadn’t spoken about it, just sharing the odd confused look. Chaeyoung and Dahyun just pretended they didn’t hear anything. Tzuyu had her make up done and popped her painkiller before running out on the stage.

 

She knew Seolhyun was watching from the wings as Twice performed, clapping as enthusiastically as any fan. The second Twice were off stage Tzuyu sprinted to get ready. Her fellow members watched amused as Tzuyu pulled on her school uniform, leaving her to do her make-up in peace as they went to watch from the audience. Mina and Momo watched Tzuyu walk out to sit at one of the desks, dressed as a school girl. Other girls sat at the other desks and Seolhyun stood at the front of the class. As a school bell rung the other girls left the “classroom”, except Tzuyu who began to flirt with Seolhyun through the songs lyrics.

 

Mina watched the other girls’ faces drop in surprise at the confidence exuding from the shy maknae. She moved her hips flirtatiously, teasing the older girl. It began to click, especially for the older ones, what Mina and Momo had been teasing Tzuyu about in the dressing room. As the dance went on Tzuyu was removing layers from Seolhyun and Sana had to look away after a while because she was blushing. Then when they hit their final pose, panting on each others’ lips once more, the crowd erupted.

 

However, as Tzuyu began to relax and follow Seolhyun off stage the sound of the crowd became distant. She could hear her heart pumping in her ears, her head was worse than ever, her stomach grumbling. She felt light headed and stopped halfway back to her dressing room. Seolhyun turned and asked her something, but Tzuyu couldn’t translate it.

 

你说什么” Tzuyu replied, Korean not working in her head any more,

 

Seolhyun stepped towards her and began calling for someone who spoke Chinese. Luckily, Wang Jackson was nearby and ran over.

 

Tzuyu? What’s the matter?” He asked,

 

“My head hurts.” Tzuyu replied swaying,

 

Someone went to get a medic as Twice rounded the corner and watched the chaos confused. The medic began asking Jackson questions to have Tzuyu answer.

 

“When did you last eat something?”

 

“I-I’ve been busy.”

 

She told him how long.

 

“She said it’s been about two weeks.” He replied solemnly,

 

Seolhyun whirled towards Jihyo, “What sort of leader doesn’t know a member hasn’t eaten?”

 

Jihyo’s large eyes filled with tears, “I didn’t know, why didn’t she say anything?”

 

“Seolhyun….” Tzuyu called voice quiet as hunger pains hit her hard,

 

“You have a job to look after all your members especially your youngest.”

 

“Seolhyun….”

 

“She’s been dancing nine hours a day for WEEKS with no food, how could this have happened?”

 

“Unnie!” Tzuyu called louder causing all attention to fall on her,

 

The tall girl looked at Seolhyun with large cold eyes, “Unnie, I’m cold.”

 

Then she fell with a hard thud.

 

 

_____

 

It was about four hours later when Tzuyu awoke in her hotel room to find Mina and Momo by her bedside. Both girls had been crying and were overjoyed to see the younger girl awake. Immediately they filled Tzuyu in on everything that had happened and told her off for scaring them like that before hugging her thin body tight enough to snap her in two.

 

“I’m going to get you some food.” Momo said,

 

“And I’ll tell the others you’re up!” Mina added as both bounded out the door,

 

Tzuyu chuckled at their antics as she nibbled on the stale biscuits the duo had left to hold her over. After five minuets there was a knock at the door, Tzuyu carefully got up and went to open the door. Upon seeing her Seolhyun wrapped the girl into a hug and began crying, placing the fast food on the dressing table. Then quickly ushered her back to lay down. The older girl had been terrified when she’d fainted but couldn’t go with her because she had a stage with AOA to prepare for. She ran to the hotel as soon as it was over, keeping an eye on the news via her phone and stopping for burgers on the way. Seeing Tzuyu and knowing she was okay made Seolhyun happier than she could really understand. She hugged Tzuyu again.

 

“You’re okay.”

 

“I’m okay,” Tzuyu said quietly, “I didn’t mean to upset you.”

 

“Upset me?” Seolhyun scoffed looking at her, “You didn’t upset me you scared the out of me, don’t ever do that again.”

 

“I promise.” Tzuyu replied gently, “Did you bring me food?”

 

“You bet I did,” Seolhyun said going to retrieve the forgotten bag, “And not any of that crash diet crap they’ll have you eating.”

 

She handed Tzuyu the bag and lay next to her.

 

“Thank you, I owe you one.” Tzuyu said pecking Seolhyun’s cheek and blushing,

 

Seolhyun smirked, “Not good enough.”

 

Seolhyun placed her lips on Tzuyu’s gently, savouring the taste. Tzuyu froze for a moment and then began to kiss back allowing all the previous tension that had been created during their dance to disappear. Sparks, fireworks, tingling - whatever it was Tzuyu decided she would never get enough of it. Seolhyun gently laid Tzuyu back, letting her hands rub up and down the younger girl’s thighs. But before she could let her hands under Tzuyu’s shirt there was a knock at the door. Both girls froze before quickly correcting themselves.

 

“Where’d you learn to kiss like that?” Seolhyun asked on her way to the door,

 

“Now that would be telling.” Tzuyu grinned taking out her burger,

 

Maybe she was good at something.