The Idol Life

The Other Side Of You

Im Nayeon sighed in front of a mirror which reflected her pretty face. But she squinted her eyes in front of it. Her pretty face was stained by mixed feelings of anger, disappointment, confusion, fear, and love. Love for her ‘unknown to public’ boyfriend, Do Kyungsoo or people used to call him by his stage name, D.O. Nayeon and D.O. had been dating for 2 months. They agreed to each other to hide their love relationship from public. Even from their agencies! Of course it wasn’t an easy and comfortable way to do. Because of their idol status and both of them had bunch of fanatic fans.

Everything was so hard already from the beginning of their love relationship. All public knew was the flying kiss incident last year when both of their groups attended same music award show. Some fans loved it, some fans ignored it and of course some fans hated it. She was so embarrassed and stressed out at first. She told her group’s members how she only wished to disappear or turn back time. Fortunately, she had the best chance a month later to fix that awkward incident by greeting him properly on another music award show. EXO’s D.O. was smiling back to her friendly. He made her fell head over heels because of it. The same way for D.O., unexpectedly.

Oh, don’t forget to thanks to Yeri of Red Velvet. The younger girl had been constantly convincing Nayeon to accept D.O. as her lover. Because D.O. and Yeri had been known each other since their training days. And D.O. was lucky to have Yeri around. She helped him to get Nayeon’s attention. What can people say? Yeri is everyone’s bestfriends, so is Nayeon. Both were clicked to each other from the first day they met. Also, Yeri was the first who noticed that there was something going on between D.O. and Nayeon.

He once told her, actually he prefers someone y than cute. But Im Nayeon changed it. He couldn’t help himself to resist her cuteness presence whenever she was promoting Twice’s cute songs. Cute concept definitely suits her well.

And D.O. is one of its proof that Nayeon’s cuteness will totally blow your mind. What he didn’t know at first was Nayeon actually has wild and y side. He found out later when he accidentally watched TWICE’s y stage performance through online site. Yet, he would always consider himself to become her fanboy because of her cute side. While Nayeon was already his fangirl since her training days. She was mesmerized over his dazzling personality. D.O. has been known as gentleman as usual. But the cool and tough guy definitely will act cute if it is necessary for some times.

D.O. even confessed his feeling to Nayeon first before the younger girl realized it. She then decided to remember his words precisely.

I like you, Im Nayeon-ssi. Be my girl?

Those short lines were said by him in his deep tone voice. They were agree to secretly meet at the back of movie theater building around 11 PM. Nayeon was accompanied by Jeongyeon and D.O. was going there by himself. It took her a minute to nod her head, then said yes as his answer. Even when he didn’t say their circumstances, she already knew and still agreed to be his girlfriend. Of course, the most important circumstance was none other than keeping their love status as secret. They could only tell to their trusted people. To avoid paparazzi from the first place.

“I was agree to try this with you, Oppa..” Nayeon whispered to herself inside her dorm’s bathroom. “But.. I don’t know for how much more I can endure everything..” Somehow her whisper was more like a slur.

“Nayeon Unnie, are you done?? Can I use the bathroom now??”

Jeongyeon’s sudden voice was surprised her enough. She dragged herself back to reality. “Yes, Jeongyeon-ah, wait a minute please!” she tried to answer clearly. But her tone was a little shaky. “Okay, I’m done~” she said cheerfully. She even tried to arrange her front bang nicely.

Jeongyeon was frowning at her. She knew that Nayeon wasn’t happy at all for the whole day. Something wasn’t right and the eldest member kept avoiding her suspicious glance. “Unnie, tell me honestly. Look at me here,” asked Jeongyeon to the older girl as she passed her by. She grasped Nayeon’s left wrist, “Look at me in the eye,” Nayeon followed her order. “Are you alright?” Jeongyeon asked softly.

Definitely Jeongyeon knew it. Nayeon sighed again. She couldn’t hide it from Jeongyeon. “I’m fine,” she still tried to fool Jeongyeon around.

“Lie,” said Jeongyeon surely. “There’s something wrong and I knew it for the whole day. Does this have something to do with D.O. Sunbae?” Jeongyeon asked the girl in white t-shirt again.

Nayeon didn’t realize how her tears suddenly fell down to her cheeks. She just heard Jeongyeon said his name and her tears would fall down out of the blue. And turned Jeongyeon in panic.

Omo, Unnie! Why do you cry?? Did I hurt your feeling?? I-I’m sorry, Unnie!” Jeongyeon quickly hugged the older girl tightly. “Oh, My… What did I do… I’m so stupid!” she kept blaming herself.

“It’s not your fault, Jeongyeonie…” whispered Nayeon between her sobs.

“Then what is it, Unnie?? Come on, let’s sit on your bed and tell me all your thoughts!” asked Jeongyeon while leading Nayeon to her bed. She even brought some tissues and a glass of mineral water after Nayeon had sat. “Okay, now you can tell me everything.”

Nayeon smiled and took a sip of the water first then said, “I’m thinking on break up nowadays…”

Jeongyeon frowned. “Who are we talking about? D.O. Sunbae??” Nayeon nodded slowly. Jeongyeon gasped. “WHY??” she was almost screaming. Nayeon made a gesture to make the girl in cute blue pajama lowing her voice first. Jeongyeon nodded and slightly pinched herself. “I mean, why would you do that, Unnie?? You don’t love him anymore??”

The older girl shook her head. “I do still care about him. A lot.” Again, Nayeon’s voice was more like slur and whisper.

“Then why would you think on breaking up with him??” Jeongyeon emphasized on ‘breaking up’ words.

“It’s too hard to have this kind of relationship, Jeongyeon-ah…” Nayeon shed her tears again. “I mean, what kind of relationship is this, you can’t even say ‘I Love You’ properly to each other, you can’t meet or call him on the phone freely either! We said ‘I Love You’ to each other but it was 2 months ago! I haven’t heard him saying it again to me! He doesn’t send messages to me oftenly, he said he would rather hear my voice than texting me, but I rarely have him on the phone! We haven’t had any same schedule on music shows, but once we had same music event, he was sending me another sign to always be careful and control ourselves more! So, I had to be close around other groups, not his! I can’t take it anymore! I won’t!”

Jeongyeon smirked. “So you’re giving up?”

“What do you mean??” Nayeon seemed surprise upon hearing Jeongyeon’s reaction.

“Well, you said it yourself, you won’t have this kind of relationship anymore. Too bad, after I heard your thoughts, I definitely would do the same to my future boyfriend if I was still doing this idol things.” Jeongyeon tried to explain her thoughts slowly to the older girl.

Nayeon tried her best to remained calm when listening to Jeongyeon’s advice.

“Both of you are idols with bunch of fanatic fans. You both fell in love and agreed to make it as top secret from the first place. That’s the way you keeping your idol status safely, right? The way I see it, your boyfriend is doing it. He loves you so much until he doesn’t want you to be sad because of his fans. He is trying his best to protect you. I know I might sound just talking to you like it’s an easy thing to do, but have you ever thought about it again? If he didn’t want to be in this kind of relationship, why would he say he loves you first? D.O. Sunbae is known as a gentleman, so he won’t play your love around, Unnie. Bunch of his fanatic fans say he always does his things sincerely and if he doesn’t like it he won’t do it. I think he IS that kind of person. Try to understand him more, or when you get a chance, you can say everything you said to me earlier, all of your thoughts about this kind of relationship. Just don’t say let’s break up first to him, okay? Beside, it’s almost your birthday.. Don’t you want to celebrate your birthday with your first idol boyfriend?? It’ll be so romantic..”

Nayeon exhaled a deep breath. She was immersed in her own thoughts.

“People should be happy when they are in love, not to be miserable like what you feel…”

“Am I seemed miserable? I have bunch of friends though.. I still can manage to celebrate my birthday with all my friends even if I don’t have boyfriend.” Nayeon denied it.

“You do. But, I still can see your loneliness,” whispered Jeongyeon to herself.

“You what?” asked Nayeon curiously. She was sure she heard Jeongyeon said something.

“Anyway, I will always support your decision. I just feel like I have to give you my opinion first…” Jeongyeon pretended she didn’t hear Nayeon’s last question.

Nayeon smiled to her sister like bestfriend, Jeongyeon. “I think you’re right. It seems too fast to give up now. It’s only been 2 months…”

Jeongyeon smiled back to her dearest teammate. “That’s the spirit! Okay, I’ll take a shower first then eat your favourite ramen together with you. How does that sound like?”

“I like it. Thank’s, Jeongyeonie!”

.

“Nayeon Unnie, you got a phone call. Here,” Jeongyeon handed over Nayeon’s phone to her.

The older girl was about to fall asleep but wide awake after Jeongyeon shook softly her left arm. “Who is it, Jeongyeonie?” she asked her uninterestedly while checking the clock.

It was 2 AM in the morning.

“Your boyfriend!” whispered Jeongyeon slowly. She was afraid in case waking up Jihyo instead of Nayeon.

Nayeon quickly got off the bed. She rushed to the corner of their room near the window. She decided to take her boyfriend’s phone call there. “Hello?” she said almost in whisper.

Am I waking you up? Im so sorry, you mustve been so tired because of your comeback practice earlier… other’s voice, D.O., was also in whisper.

“No, Oppa. Ah-I mean yes-but-it’s okay! What is it??” stuttered Nayeon. She felt her heartbeat was thumping super fast. She was no longer sleepy.

Well.. I.. I just missed you so much, lets meet up, can you?

Nayeon jolted again. “R-right now??”

The other voice laughed. ‘Of course not!’ he said between his laughters, ‘I got free time about 2 hours tomorrow after my movie filming shoot. Can you meet me around 8 PM tomorrow? At the usual place? I hope you can come with one of your teammate, dont come alone…

Nayeon sighed. And said nothing still. She lost in her mind.

And her boyfriend definitely should have known it. ‘Its okay if you cant. We can meet up next time when youre free. How is it?

Nayeon still remained in silence. When will it be when both of us are free?

Hello? Are you there? About to sleep again? Im totally understand, we can call again tomorrow morning…

“No, it’s okay, I’m wide awake now…” she replied in depressed tone.

You shouldve been sleeping now instead of talking with me on the phone… Im so sorry about it.. D.O. sounded regreting. He was only trying to be more considerate to his girlfriend.

“It’s okay, Oppa, actually.. Mmmm..” Nayeon hesitated, “I missed you too. In fact, I have something to tell you. But, I can only say it when we meet.”

The other side was quiet.

Oppa, you there?” Nayeon called but it took around 2 minutes until she got his reply.

Yeah, Im here! Sorry, Suho Hyung just talked to me. What did you say earlier?

Nayeon sighed again. “I said, let’s meet next time when both of us are free. I have something important to tell you.” Nayeon convinced herself to say it normally.

Somehow D.O. sensed it. He hesitated and said nothing for another minutes. Nayeon could only hear his breathing sound on the other side. So could D.O. as both were being in silence. But then, he decided to just face it to say, ‘Im so sorry to put you in this hard situation, Nayeon-ah. I know we both agreed to try this, and I wont blame anyone if you decide to break this. I can totally understand you, I wont push you even harder…

Nayeon jolted upon hearing D.O.’s reply. She was sad, of course. She did talk and think about it few hours ago with Jeongyeon and the younger girl convinced her to keep her best to try. Unfortunately, her boyfriend had the same thoughts too. He even said it before they could meet each other face to face. Million of things were going around in her mind now.

Im Nayeon? You there? D.O.’s voice sounded in worry. ‘Are you okay?

“Of course I’m not okay, Oppa! How could you say that??” Nayeon shouted. Yet her voice was really sad. She was holding her tears and sobs. But in the end, she couldn’t hold them and she was cracked between her sobs.

Im Nayeon, hear me out, Im so sorry, please dont cry! I didnt mean to make you sad or cry! Im so sorry, lets meet now, Ill go there whatever it takes, wait me up! D.O.’s voice raised higher without his realize as he was so angry to himself. Why should he said those words to his girlfriend who had just been busy with her group’s comeback preparation.

“No!” she resisted his idea. “I have to get back to sleep or my voice will crack tomorrow. I’m so sorry, I have to go now! Good night!” She hung up the call immediately. And continued her cry.

“Nayeon Unnie, are you okay??”

Nayeon looked up and it was Jeongyeon’s voice. The younger girl quickly hugged her as she saw Nayeon’s crying face. She was so sad having her eldest member struggling too much lately. In her own love life.

“If he calls just ignore it! Okay?” Nayeon told Jeongyeon to ignore her phone. She nodded and patted Nayeon’s back. Hoping to ease her sadness.

Her phone kept vibrating as it was from D.O. Jeongyeon took a glance, she was sure Nayeon probably had asked him to break up. That was why D.O. kept calling to her phone. After tenth missed calls, Nayeon finally received a message from D.O. Jeongyeon could do nothing but being her guardian the whole night.

.

.

“Aren’t you going to meet him tonight?”

Nayeon looked at Jeongyeon in front of her. The younger girl was seemed in worry so much to her. Nayeon replied by shaking her head.

“I’m so sorry, I couldn’t help myself but you said it yourself last night, Unnie, when you cried.” Jeongyeon put a big cup of popcorn on Nayeon’s lap.

“Yes, Jeongyeonie, I remembered it. I can’t meet him tonight. Did you forget our comeback dance practice tonight? He has free time tonight but I don’t. We don’t. So, it’s another dead end.” Nayeon started chewing some popcorns.

Jeongyeon took a sip of her warm chocolate milk. She still felt uneasy to talk about Nayeon’s sad situation last night, but she had to. She imagined herself in D.O.’s position. The guy probably felt super uncomfort that time because he hadn’t heard anything about Nayeon after their last phone call. He should’ve been worrying her the whole night and still would be between his bunch and busy schedules for the next days.

“I still think you should send him a message about it. What if he waited you the whole night thinking that you would come to meet him? He could be in big trouble because of this, Unnie… I’m just saying though…” Jeongyeon put on an innocent face.

Nayeon nodded. She sighed. “I did send him a message this morning,” she replied, “And I read his reply message too. He said he was so sorry to say what he had said to me last night. He was never good on words, so he was so dumb to have that kind of thought. Which actually was indeed the same with me early yesterday, right?”

Jeongyeon nodded and smiled. “So, you didn’t break up with him, did you?”

“Yes.”

“What a relief…” Jeongyeon smiled cheerfully.

“What? Yes, we broke up. I asked him to.”

“WHAT??” Jeongyeon shocked and choked.

Nayeon quickly handed over a tissue. “Please be careful, Jeongyeonie, I hate seeing you messed yourself up like this…” she nagged at her.

Jeongyeon let Nayeon wiped her shirt which she spilled her chocolate milk on it. “But, how did you two?? Woah~ Wait a minute, I’m confused though!”

Nayeon smiled plainly. “I told you… He felt the same way as I did,” she began to explain, “So, in the end, this relationship will never work out. We both will never have time to be spent together. We can’t make the time. When he has comeback song, we are in the end of promoting but in the middle of our concert, when he is busy promoting, we are busy preparing next comeback song. He is even preparing for his Japan promotion. In fact, we will also have Japan promotion next year, we will have 2 comeback preparations both in Korea and Japan. His schedules always finish in late hours and so do ours, we will be in extremely exhausted to still meet each other. I can’t manage it. Neither he can.”

Jeongyeon was listening carefully. In case she misheard something.

Nayeon continued her explanation, “Actually, those days ago when we were still in getting to know state was totally a coincidence. Maybe it’s because it was still in early year. But now, we both get hectic schedules, no time for love!”

“Early year?? Both of you have been already packed in hectic schedules since the beginning though… What is no time for love now just because it’s almost the end of year??” Jeongyeon mumbled to herself.

Nayeon didn’t hear her mumbling and still continued, “When both of us in the same event, we have to control ourselves even more because of thousand fancams. We are being exposed the whole time, we both will never have a chance to be alone and meet each other comfortly. He had same thoughts too about this lately. That was why he said it first last night, he already sensed it when I said to him I have something I need to tell him only when we are face to face. He was thinking the same thing as me.”

Jeongyeon plainly replied, “Fine. I’ll support both of your decisions. Let’s just forget the past. So in the end, it’ll be like ‘we both fall in love in the wrong timing since we are idols’. What a news!”

Nayeon  frowned. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. Just forget it, right?”

Nayeon nodded but still felt uneasy about Jeongyeon’s last lines to her.