Chapter Sixty Three: Dancing Leaf, Squirming Sand

Trapped! (ReaderXYandereVariousNaruto)

"Ugh......man I'm beat." Shikamaru sighed, rubbing his shoulder. Temari watched him silently, her eyes wide as the shadow retracted, Shikamaru let out a loud yawn. 
Ino let out a shrill scream, "What a waste!" She shouted, her fists flying in the air. She instantly turned to Choji, gripping onto him by his scarf, she started to shake him. "Why?! What is he thinking?! Doesn't he want to be a chunin?!" Ino shouted, pushing Choji to the side, Choji let out a loud laugh. "What can you say?" Choji shrugged, "It's Shikamaru."
Kurenai let out a sigh. "I wonder," She began, Asuma looked over at her. "Do you think he has the motivation for this?" She asked, "I've wondered the same thing myself, countless times." Asuma said with a nod, Kurenai looked down at Shikamaru. Even so, she thought,  his tactics and ingenuity are far beyond those of your typical genin. 
If that had been a real mission and he'd been leading a squad, they would have succeeded. The battle was one the moment Temari was caught in his shadow possession jutsu. I guess you could say he won the battle, but lost the match. 
Kurenai thought silently, That boy's lack of drive can sure be frustrating. Asuma thought, crossing his arms. Still, there's something to be said for not having a killer instinct. He never lets his emotions cloud his judgement. He never panics. Asuma tapped his chin, he's able to calmly assess his tactical situation and determine the wisest course of action. He even has the wisdom to retreat if his position is untenable. Asuma grinned down at Shikamaru, he has something a lot of the others lack, clarity. That's a vital trait in a chunin and in a leader.

"Heh." Izumo smiled, "He may not be as motivated as some of the others," Izumo began, leaning back in his seat. "But, you know, it's not such a bad thing for a squad leader to trust his head more than his gut. He'll get in a lot of less trouble that way." Izumo crossed his arms, "You said it." Kotetsu agreed, putting his arms in the back of his head. "A squad with a hot shot for a leader is a squad that's not going to survive very long. Some of these kids don't understand there's not much point in completing a mission if your whole team gets wiped out. That's not what being a chunin is about." Kotetsu said with a sigh, Izumo looked over at him. "If you're scoring them off of that, (Y/N) and Neji failed the test." Izumo said, raising his brow. "Not that they don't have some insane talent for genin," Izumo shrugged, "But still, I can't help but feel that Shikamaru gave up too soon." Izumo said, looking back to Kotetsu.
"What do you think?" He asked, "Well, one thing I'm sure of, he's got a lot better chance than that (Y/N) kid." Kotetsu said with a sigh, Izumo chuckled. "Hell, Shikamaru has a better chance of even surviving than (Y/N)."

"What the heck was that?!" Naruto shouted, I turned my head over to him, "Forfeiting the match when he had already won! Geez!" Naruto slammed his fists down at the railing, I gave an irritated growl. "That really ticks me off." I said with a scoff, "That lazy son-of-a!" Naruto shouted, jumping up on the railing. "I'm going to give him a piece of my mind!" Naruto shouted, jumping down into the arena. I quickly followed him. Shino watched, shaking his head with a sigh.

"Hmph. And to think that lazy kid's gonna be a chunin." Kotetsu sighed.

"Hey!" Naruto shouted, pointing an accusing finger towards to Shikamaru. Shikamaru was stretching, "I want to talk to you, you idiot!" Naruto screamed, "Who are you calling idiot, idiot." Shikamaru answered back, I stood next to Naruto with my hands on my hips. "Why'd you give up?! Are you really that lazy?!" Naruto blew a fuse, "Or are you just a big chicken?!" 
"Hey, it's over." Shikamaru said with a groan, "Let's just forget about it, okay?" Shikamaru said with a sigh, Naruto went off. "You had that match won!" "Would you skip it?" "And I wanna know why!" "Are you forgetting?" "Oh my god!" "There's another match." "I mean, who does that?! To quit right when........" Naruto paused, "Huh? Another match?" Naruto tilted his head. "Yes, you idiot." I said, shaking my head. "You forgot about Sasuke already?" I mumbled, "Oh yeah, that's right." Naruto said aloud as he nodded. 

"Finally!" A guy called out, Ino turned her head to the top of the stands, the crowd was buzzing. People shouting things to each other, trying to hear over other people. 
"This is the one we've been waiting for," A guy said to his friend, shaking his arm. "The Uchiha's next!" He exclaimed, his friend shrugged. "Yeah, but who's this Gaara guy he's up against?" His friend questioned, "Don't know, he's a mystery! But he doesn't stand a chance against this Uchiha kid!" "Don't get too excited. I heard that Sasuke Uchiha had to pull out of the match." He said with a sigh, "What?! No way!" The friend exclaimed, "They say he's still injured from some accident that happened during training." He said with a nod, his arms crossed. "That's perfect!" His friend spat sarcastically, "So you're telling me that I came allll this way and missed two days of work for nothing?!" His friend shouted, his fists clenched. "What, you forgot about the (L/N)?" He said, his friend shook his head. "You know that stuff freaks me out," His friend said with a shiver.
"Come on, Uchiha! Let's go!" The shout echoed around the arena.

"Well," Tokugawa, a feudal lord from the village hidden in the grass began. Shimazu sat at his side, another lord but from the rain. "It seems fairly clear that the Uchiha is bound to win." Tokugawa said with a small nod, looking down at Sasuke's info card. Shimazu shook his head, "I don't know. I like the look of this stranger from the sound village." Shimazu said, tapping his chin. "I'm putting my money on the mystery man." Shimazu said with a grin, Tokugawa heaved a heavy laugh. "That's the thing about this level of competition," Tokugawa said, crossing his arms. "The only thing you know for sure is that you never know what will happen." Tokugawa said, Shimazu nodded silently, turning to the man next to him. Tokugawa's eyes drifted back to the stands, two of his ninja from the grass looked back. They gave him each a nod. Tokugawa grinned down at himself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lord Hokage," Raido began, bending down to him again. Sarutobi let out a small sigh, "I'm afraid there's still no sign of Sasuke Uchiha." Raido said with a frown, "He hasn't arrived at the arena." Raido explained, Sarutobi nodded. "Right. Then, we have no choice." Sarutobi said, looking down. "We'll just have to proceed. We've kept these good people waiting long enough." "Ten more minutes." Rasa called out, Sarutobi turned his head around to him, Raido looked at him in shock.
"Surely, we can give him another ten minutes." Rasa said calmly. "My lord?" Raido looked back down at Sarutobi.
"This is what the crowd's been waiting for. They've got a taste of the Daigan, and now they're crazing for the Sharingan. It would be a cruel blow to cancel. They might even turn ugly." Rasa's words were calm, yet threatening. "After waiting this long, surely another ten minutes won't hurt." Rasa said, slowly shaking his head. Raido bent back down to Sarutobi, "Lord Hokage?" Raido asked, waiting for his word. Sarutobi looked over to the stands.
It was almost too loud for him to hear his own thoughts. Sarutobi let out another sigh, picking up his pipe, he placed it between his lips. "There's something in what lord Kazekage says, I must admit." Sarutobi paused, breathing out a small breath of smoke, an ember sparked from the pipe. "Very well then." Sarutobi said, turning to Rasa.
"We will give Sasuke another ten minutes to appear before cancelling the match." Sarutobi said with a nod, his stare lingering on Rasa. "Go." Sarutobi said sharply to Raido, his sight not leaving Rasa. "Tell Genma my decision." 
"Right." Raido nodded, leaving the platform with a small cloud of smoke.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Sasuke's out of luck. Too bad. It would've been a great match. Genma thought, moving his stick up and down. He watched as I rose a fist, proudly stating how much I wanted to punch Sasuke for being late. Genma gave a small grin as he watched me jump around, Naruto at my side, Shikamaru shook his head.
Raido quickly appeared at Genma side, "Lord Hokage wants to wait ten more minutes." Raido quickly said, Genma's eyes widened as Raido disappeared. I see, a ten-minute reprieve, huh. Genma dug a hand into his pocket, pulling out a small round metallic watch, he looked down at it, setting a timer for ten minutes. The watch gave a small beep as it was set.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Huh?" Tsuzumi's eyes widened as he saw two figures in the distance, another jonin stationed with him to guard the entrance of the arena. Tsuzumi pointed toward the two figures, "Hey! Is that who I think it is?" Tsuzumi called out, his partner took a few steps closer, squinting his eyes. 
The wooden crutch clicked each time it struck the ground, leaving small indents on the dirt road. 
"Yeah." His partner nodded, "It's him alright." He said, welcoming them with a smile. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gnnnn!" I growled, my fists tightly clenched. "I swear if he doesn't show, I'll kill him! I swear I'll kill him!" I shouted, "You and me both!" Naruto nodded, as fed up as I am. 
Sakura clasped her hands together. Come on, Sasuke. She thought, her eyes tightly closed. Come on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome!" Tsuzumi said cheerfully, "Glad you both could make it." He flashed a smile.
"Roger!" Lee shouted out, holding tightly onto his crutch, Guy standing proudly by his side. "Hmph!" Guy made a loud grunt, striking one of his numerous poses.
"Well, Lee, ready to go?" "Yes, sir!" Lee nodded back, 
"You two missed the first round." Tsuzumi began, Lee let out a loud gasp. "The only match left is between Sasuke Uchiha and Gaara of the Sand." Tsuzumi explained, "But!" Lee shouted, "What happened with (Y/N) and Neji?" Lee asked, his eyes wide open. 
"Well, that was the most amazing thing." Tsuzumi nodded with a smile, "The Hyuga kid got beat!" 
Lee's mouth was wide open, Guy's face matching his. (Y/N) beat Neji? Lee thought with a grin, "That is something." Lee nodded, Lee looked up at the sky.
Well done, (Y/N)! I had no doubt that you would win!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temari quickly jumped over the railing, landing on the platform above. Kankuro snapped his head over to her, she put a hand on her hip. "Temari," Kankuro called out to her, "What's going on?" He asked, she walked closer to him.
"What's up? Is he really not going to show?" Kankuro asked, his hands tightly gripped onto the railing. Temari sighed. 
"He'll be here." Gaara said slowly, both Temari and Kankuro turned to him.
"He'll definitely be here."

"Man," Shikamaru said, putting his hands in his pockets. "This crowd'll tear him apart if he doesn't show," Shikamaru said, listening to the shouts and screams above. "And if they don't, I will!" I clenched my fists.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where the hell is Uchiha?!" Tokugawa seethed, "How long does he expect us to wait?" Tokugawa said angrily, crumpling up Sasuke's info card in his fist. Shimazu let out a small chuckle, hiding his face under his fan. "Perhaps his injuries really were serious." Shimazu suggested, a sly grin on his lips. "Perhaps he's lost his nerve." Shimazu turned to Tokugawa, 
"It doesn't matter to me. If he forfeits, I still win my bet. Ha." Shimazu laughed again, Tokugawa gritted his teeth. I already lost a bet against that (L/N) brat, I can't afford to lose anymore.  Tokugawa thought angrily, desperately looking down at the arena.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genma looked back down at his watch, the seconds ticking away. Thirty seconds. Genma thought, watching. The crowd started to boo, their aggravated voices echoing. I stomped my foot into the ground.
"What's he thinking?" I wondered aloud, my fists by my sides. "I bet he's planning some big entrance, or something." Naruto scoffed, his hands on his hips. "Well, I'm not impressed!" I shouted out, tapping my foot on the ground.
Genma grinned, five seconds left on the watch. Time's up. He thought, calling it short. So that's that. 
"The time limit has expired." Genma announced, four seconds left
"So I'm officially calling this match-----" Two seconds left.

A gust of wind stopped Genma in his tracks. He grinned, clicking the watch to a stop. 
"You!" I growled, visibly shaking with anger.

"I told you he would come." Gaara said, looking down at the arena. Temari's mouth was wide open, Kankuro leaned his chest over the railing.

"Sorry, we're late." Kakashi apologized, rubbing the back of his neck. "You wouldn't believe the traffic." 
Sakura's eyes sparkled as she breathed a sigh of relief. Sasuke. She thought with a smile, you're alright.
"And you are?" Genma asked, slipping the watch back into his pocket. 

"I'm Sasuke Uchiha." Sasuke looked up at Genma, a bored expression on his face. 

"Sasuke!" Sakura gasped out, her hands clasped together. "So he made it in time." "Lee!" Ino said in surprise, Sakura snapped her head around to him.
The crowd went wild. Men, women, children, it seemed everyone in the village and other lands were there. The loudness of everyone's screams, shouts, and cheers could be heard for miles. 
Shikamaru scoffed, putting his hands back in his pockets. Damn, what a showoff. Shikamaru thought, glaring Sasuke down. Making us all wait around like he's the ruler of the universe. Shikamaru wore a sour frown on his face.
"So you decided to show after all!" Naruto shouted towards Sasuke, "I was betting you wouldn't come cause sooner or later you'd have to face me!" Naruto grinned, pointing his thumb towards his chest. Shikamaru rolled his eyes as he heard Naruto, Naruto was just saying how he was sure Sasuke wouldn't come. Shikamaru thought, turning his head away from him. Sasuke ignored both of them.
He turned to me. "So how about you?" Sasuke asked, looking me in the eye. "Did you win?" He asked, I put my hands on my hips. "Of course I did." I said with a huff, Sasuke gave a small smile. 
"You're still not off the hook!" I shouted, pointing a finger to his chest, Sasuke raised his brow. "You idiot! What, were you planning with stupid stunt?!" I growled, Sasuke gave me a confused look. "Was it your plan to have this big entrance and surprise everyone? Only with seconds to spare?" I stomped my foot on the ground, Sasuke rose his hands defensively. 
Kakashi turned to Genma, "Uh...." Kakashi cleared his throat, "Sorry to keep everyone waiting, but, um, how late were we?" Kakashi asked, "I mean, it's not like Sasuke is, well, disqualified or anything, right?" Kakashi asked, giving a nervous chuckle. 
"Like master, like pupil. Even down to your lousy sense of time." Genma said, shaking his head. "Well, what about it?" Kakashi asked, Genma sighed. "You know, you were so late that we extended your deadline for you, twice in fact." Genma said, shaking his head. "And it's lucky for you that we did, because you just made it. No, he's not disqualified."
"Oh! That's a relief." Kakashi gave a sigh of relief, "You had me worried there for a minute. So, we're okay----hm?" Kakashi looked over at Sasuke, his head was turned to the stand as I continued to shout at him.
Gaara and Sasuke's eyes were locked together. I put my hands on my hips. "Sasuke!" I called out name again, Sasuke and Gaara kept their eyes locked on each other. "Just make sure you don't lose to this guy."
"Got it."
"Hey, Sasuke!" Naruto shouted, Sasuke turned his head over to him. "Don't lose, cause I want to fight you myself!" Naruto said, Sasuke gave a small nod. "Go it." Sasuke said again, Naruto flashed him a grin.

"Woo-hoo! Sasuke!" Ino screamed, standing up on her seat as she cheered. Choji leaned back in his seat, shaking his head. Heh, a minute ago she was cheering just as hard for Shikamaru. Choji thought, crossing his arms. Geez, women are fickle. 

So. I'm yesterday's news already. Shikamaru thought, looking up at the crowd. Well, I can't say I blame them. Shikamaru looked over at Sasuke, I'm looking forward to this one myself. 

"Sakura," Ino began, sitting back down on her seat. "What's it like to be a part of such an amazing team?" Ino asked dreamily, Sakura raised her brow. "What do you mean?" She asked, turning to Ino. "You know! First, (Y/N) surprised everyone by beating Neji Hyuga!" Ino called out, Lee looked over at them. "Oh, and then you've got Sasuke, who's like a superstar! Everyone wants to see his match! After that, people are even starting to get excited about Naruto's match! You're like the all-star team!" Ino exclaimed, waving her hands around excitedly. Lee turned his head down, his eyes staring at the stands concrete steps. 
Sasuke is fighting that sand ninja Gaara, Lee thought, a sharp shadow stretching across his face. Whom I was powerless against, and (Y/N) won against Neji, whom I had always wanted to defeat. Lee's grasp around his crutch lightened, his arm starting to shake with the pressure. And all I get to do.....Lee's bandaged arm shook violently, red staining his fist as the crutch creaked with the pressure of Lee's fist, blood starting to drip from his hand. All I get to do is stand here and watch. A small puddle formed on the floor, by his foot. It is so frustrating. Lee thought, his brow furrowed as he fought back tears, Guy stood behind him quietly. Lee...... Guy thought, looking down at him. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At last. Rasa thought to himself as he stared down at Sasuke, a sinister grin on his lips. Sarutobi's attention was down on the arena, Rasa took the few moments of freedom from his stare to change his position. Carefully watching each movement he took. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaara stared down at Sasuke, a low chuckle rumbled from Gaara's chest. Temari and Kankuro watched him, fear in their eyes. Sasuke watched Gaara, Sasuke's left eye twitched as he saw him, his fists angrily clenched. 
I stood in front of Kakashi, exploding at him. "Where in the world were you?!" I began my tantrum with the same question that burned in my mind the entire month. "Do you know how much you worried Sakura? How much you worried me?! You didn't tell us anything! Just disappearing like that!" I growled angrily, Kakashi rubbed the back of his neck. "Well.....um, uh......" Kakashi was at a loss of words. 
"All right, Gaara, come down here." Genma called for him to come, Shikamaru turned to Naruto. "Come on, Naruto." Shikamaru said, starting to walk away. "They don't need us here." Shikamaru put his hands on his hips, Naruto's head turned back to Shikamaru. "Oh, uh." Naruto paused, looking at Sasuke again. "Let's go." Shikamaru said, starting to get annoyed. "And I'm going to take the stairs this time," Shikamaru scoffed, Naruto chuckled. 
"Ha! You're still annoyed by (Y/N)'s push? Ha, that was hilarious!" Naruto laughed, chasing after him. 

Gaara's breath became heavy, he hands started to twitch down by his sides. Sweat collected on Temari's forehead, this isn't good! She thought, her eyes wide as she watched Gaara. He's got that look again, Temari gulped, Kankuro turned to him. "Okay, listen, Gaara-----!" Temari slapped a hand over Kankuro's mouth, not keeping her eye off of Gaara for a second. Kankuro jumped at the sudden slap, Temari held her hand over his mouth. 
Gaara turned away from the railing, walking towards the platforms staircase, trembling with anticipation. Temari watched him leave, until she couldn't see him anymore.
"Now's not the time to talk to him," Temari warned Kankuro, "Not unless you want to get yourself killed." Temari whispered, removing her hand from over Kankuro's mouth. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tokugawa nodded to his men in the corner.
"Come on, let's go." The grass ninja said to his partner, "Right." The other said, quickly following him up the staircase. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Will ya hurry up? Come on!" Naruto shouted down at Shikamaru, running up the stairs. "Relax, Naruto." Shikamaru breathed a heavy sigh, "You're gonna give yourself an ulcer." Shikamaru grumbled, "Huh?" Naruto paused near the top of the stair case, only a few steps left. He turned around, frozen like a deer caught in headlights. 
"What is it?" Shikamaru asked, stopping on the same step. He turned around, looking down the dimly lit hall. 
Gaara was stopped in the middle of the hall. The two grass ninja in front of him, blocking his way. One held a hand on his hip, the other had his fists clenched as he glared down at Gaara. Naruto and Shikamaru watched, silent, from the staircase. 
"You puny kids think this tournament is about you," The grass ninja began, glaring down at Gaara. Gaara gave him a plain look, his arms crossed. "It's really about the people who bet on you, or against you, in your case." The grass ninja clicked his tongue, "You see, our master's got a lot of money on you, and after that stupid (L/N) kid one, he's riding on this bet to get his money back." The grass ninja spat out the name, Gaara's calm expression dropped as he heard (L/N) roll off of the grass ninja's tongue. Anger buzzed in Gaara's turquoise eyes.
"Got it?" The other ninja raised his brow, "That means you've gotta lose." He said, putting his hands in his pockets. Gaara kept his head down, the cork on his gourd slowly twisting, the squeaking echoing in the hall. 
"Well, so what's it gonna be, kid?" The grass ninja hissed, "Maybe's he's too scared to talk." His partner said, the gourd started to shake, a small grin came to Gaara's face as he stared up at them with bloodshot eyes.
The grass ninja slowly pulled a kunai from his sleeve, the blade glistened. 
The cork flew off of the gourd, golden sand rushing out of the top like a waterfall, bouncing off of the hallway's walls. 
"Huh?!" Both of the ninjas exclaimed, the lights above burst, shards of glass clattering down on the floor. Destroying the small amount of light they had left. Gaara's heavy breaths echoed, the sand rushing towards them like waves.
One of the grass ninja screamed as a wall of sand knocked him down, the other jumped back, the kunai dropped to the floor with a metallic pang. 
His blood-curdling screams echoed as the sand flung him around, tossing him like a doll. His limp, torn and bloodied body slamming against the walls as the sand started to devour him. His bones crunching as the sand crushed him, his skin tearing like paper, blood stained the once golden sand to a dark red.
The other ninja ran, having no time to think after witnessing his friend's gruesome death. He dashed towards the opening of the hallway, the sand chasing after him. But he wasn't fast enough. 
The sand wrapped around his leg like a tentacle, pulling his back. He landed flat on his chest, his nails desperately scratching the floor to get away, "Please!" He cried out as he caught a glimpse of Naruto's hair, his nails tearing off from his fingers, stuck and jagged into the ground. Bloodied hand prints chased back into the hallway, "No! No! No!" He cried out once more, tears streaming down his face as the sand crept up his body, crushing everything it touched.
It was too late for him as he soon met the fate of his friend. 
Silence quickly followed the last man's screams. Only faint footsteps echoed the hall as Gaara continued, his face plain and dull, just like it was before. Not a single drop of blood was left, the sand drank it like wine, craving the sweet taste. Naruto and Shikamaru were frozen to the stair, sweat-drenched as Gaara came closer, standing at the top of the staircase. 
Gaara walked down the stairs quietly, passing in between Shikamaru and Naruto without a second glance. Their eyes followed him down the staircase until they couldn't see him anymore.
They both fell back, quickly regaining the breath they held, laying flat against the stairs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And not even checking out of the hospital correctly! Not even telling the village that you would be leaving! Do you know what people thought?! What people assumed?! They thought that you," I pointed over at Sasuke, "That you had gone and run off to--to you know who!" I continued to go off on Sasuke and Kakashi, flailing my hands angrily in the air. Sasuke hung his head down, his arms behind his back as he listened. Kakashi, a loss for words, as I shouted everything at them. Some people in the crowd started to laugh, others watching with grins on their face as I lectured them like a parent whose children came home after their curfew. 
"I cannot believe how irresponsible the two of you had been! And you especially," I then pointed to Kakashi, "How can you be a jonin and be late to everything?! You're supposed to keep track of things, notice your surroundings, and you can't even show up on time?! How do you even-----------"
I felt a hand quickly grab onto my arm, Sasuke and Kakashi's eyes moved at once, I nearly shouted out as I felt the jolt, my back slamming into someone, their grip tightening as they held me in place. Then I felt something warm.
Something wet dragged up the side of my neck up to my cheek. Before I could even comprehend what had happened, Sasuke charged towards me, his Sharingan already activated, a loud shout as he ran. 
Genma quickly jumped on him, holding him back. "I haven't called the match yet!" Rung in my ears. I looked down, the pink muscle, the tongue sliding up my skin.
I screamed as I swung my fist around, to my surprise, it hit a mound of sand, as tall as a person. Sand?! I thought, my brow furrowed, I snapped my head around to see Gaara glaring at me, his lips.
"What the f-------" I was about to shout out, but Kakashi already was on me, his arm wrapped around my chest as he pulled me up, quickly jumping out of the arena. I was too shocked to say anything more, a look of pure confusion on my face.

 

To be continued................................................