~ Chapter Twenty ~

"Tell No One"

Thank you everyone who is continuing to read this story, now the games finally begin! 

 

“Who was that?” Sang asked while walking down the stairs of the school, her eyes glancing back towards the building, knowing that skipping was going to result in detention later. At least she wouldn’t be alone in the punishment, considering Jungkook was the main reason for her skipping. “Well now who is avoiding who” she muttered, gasping when she suddenly hit into his back and stumbled a few feet from the sudden impact.

“Why does it matter? Can we just forget about it?” He nearly yelled, and that sweet innocent boy who had saved her last night had completely vanished.

“Sorry” she whispered softly, digging her hands into the warmth of her winter’s jacket, suddenly hating it when remembering who had brought it for her last year during this time of year. She was slowly beginning to realize, Namjoon was indeed a part of her everyday life, and living without him was nearly impossible.

‘Meaningless’ was everything that men did meaningless? It wasn’t as though she had hoped that Jungkook had liked her in that way, but why did he have to use the same word? ‘Meaningless’ yet she didn’t feel like that kiss was meaningless, for it made butterflies erupt through her stomach, or perhaps that was the residue of the pills? It couldn’t have been… she was simply in denial and she was aware of it.

“Pizza?” Jungkook asked while pointing across the street, Sang’s eyes slowly roaming towards the direction to see the small ma and pop shop across the way. She wasn’t entirely in the mood to eat, but she nodded anyways and followed his lead, sticking silently to his side. “This is the best place” Jungkook offered while entering the restaurant, earning themselves a few side glances considering it was school hours.

It seemed like hours had passed before he had finished the entire pie aside from the lonely piece that still occupied her plate, very little being touched of it. It was obvious he was waiting for her to finish, yet every bite made her feel worse, as though the pizza was poison and her stomach couldn’t handle it. Shoving the plate towards him, his eyebrow would raise slightly towards her, and she didn’t understand why she suddenly felt so uncomfortable under his intense stare.

“Eat” his voice was threatening and cold, just like the weathers outside.

“Yah, I’m older than you” she countered but it didn’t seem to make the boy paver from across her, instead he picked up the slice and shoved it towards her lips, forcing her to jump slightly from the sudden dominance.

“I said eat Sang, I’m not going to sit here and watch you writher away!” He yelled this time and she couldn’t help but to flinch at the sudden change.

“What does it matter? I’m meaningless to you anyways!?” She screamed back, forcing his eyes to go wide as his mouth opened just the slightest, as though going to argue, but just as quickly did his lips pull together, his body shifting to sit back into his chair.

“Fine, don’t eat” he spoke harshly, standing himself up and leaving her alone once more, her eyes following him until he was no longer within her sight.

~*~ Jungkook’s POV ~*~

“Stupid girl” Jungkook mumbled while walking along the streets, his timber boots kicking away at the snow piles he passed, a way of releasing his anger. Glancing back towards the pizzeria, he was surprised when she wasn’t following him out, yet knew better than to try to go back in. He screwed up once again, because he was hurt, because he was angry.

‘Meaningless…’ Pabo, people don’t kiss in the moment because it was a meaningless action, they kissed someone in a heated moment because they couldn’t control it. Just like today, watching as she refused to eat and knowing she hadn’t eaten since yesterday at some time, made him unconsolably angry. He knew he didn’t handle his emotions well, but what else was he supposed to say? ‘Sang you need to eat because I’m falling for you, oh by the way mom said she’ll be home by five.’ Yeah, likely story.

“Jungkook” the name was mumbled as though something was blocking its way, forcing his eyes to glance back towards the girl whose mouth was filled with pizza. He didn’t understand why, but a sudden smile took over his lips, and his voice produced a sound he hadn’t heard in such a long time. It was nice to be able to laugh, to be able to feel such a bubbly emotion after having felt numb for the last couple of months… Which only drew forth more problems… It’s because it was Sang-Oh who made him laugh, it’s because Sang-Oh made his heart race… Did he find himself avoiding such an amazing feeling.

“You look like a puffer fish” he teased, poking at her puffed out cheeks, surprised when she began to swat away at his hands and instead swallowed the remaining food.

“At least I’m a super cute puffer fish” she exclaimed playfully, pouting her lip as though his joking had managed to hurt her feelings “you permanently look like a jawfish.”

~*~ Sang's POV ~*~

“So, I look like a killer shark?” Jungkook asked, eyebrow raised as though the insult was a compliment “I can roll with…”

“No, a jawfish” Sang corrected, pulling her phone from her pocket and pulling out a picture, walking closer towards the male to allow him to see the visual, enjoying when his face scrunched up and he looked away in pure disbelief.

“I do not” he spoke with pure disgust, however Sang-Oh simply nodded while grabbing his shoulder, forcing his attention back onto the picture.

“Mhm, see your mouth is always open and ready to sass someone” she spoke, pointing towards the mouth of the fish. “Your arms” she pointed towards the fins of the fish “are always out and open as though in frantic mode twenty-four-seven” she hummed mater-of-fact like, determined to prove her point “and… And…. And… You stretch yourself out to look much more intimidating than what you actually are, so that no one can see just how harmless you really….”

Her eyes glanced up and she felt frozen when seeing him hovering over her, his eyes glancing down at her as though a lion looking down at it’s deer. Yet it wasn’t threatening, and her heart suddenly pumped out of control, her breathing becoming non-existent as she froze in place, noticing the distance between them was enough that she could feel his body heat radiate from him. She found herself staring at his lips, remembering vividly how softly they captured her own, how warm they felt on that frozen night.

“J..J..Jungkook” she whimpered onto his lips when she could no longer hold her breath, but instead of him pulling away, he moved forward just the slightest and allowed his lips to hover along her own, and for some odd unknown reason, she didn’t pull back… Instead, she kissed him… She gave into his ‘meaningless’ kiss.

~*~ Jungkook’s POV ~*~

‘She’s so cute’ the thought was silent as she went on about how similar he was to an odd looking fish, yet he couldn’t deny how accurate her claims were becoming. It made him ponder just how much she paid attention to him when he thought that she didn’t, how much she thought about him when he wasn’t around. If she was able to make such accurate details, then it must have meant that she felt something, too right? That he wasn’t the only one whose heart raced whenever they were near each other.

Before he had a chance to react, she had suddenly frozen within mid-sentence, and he didn’t realize just how close he was standing until feeling her warm breath float across his face. His body tensed, he was terrified of what she was going to say, but when she didn’t move away from him, he simply couldn’t deny himself this wanting feeling anymore. Instead, his lips would touch onto hers softly, as though ensuring it was alright, but when she once again didn’t pull away, all of his questions had been answered, and he didn’t hold back anymore.

Her lips were soft against his own, his hands reaching up to secure her jaw within his hands, her hands fidgeting before landing onto his hips. He could tell she was inexperience, that she was shy and clumsy, but that had somehow made him feel more secure within her feelings for him. Taking a step forward, he was alarmed when she suddenly pulled away from him, fear written across her expression as she stared towards him, and his biggest fears of what could go wrong, was finally happening.

“We can’t be like this” she spoke softly, her eyes looking everywhere except for on him, and it only seemed to jab the knife deeper into the bleeding wound. “You’re my brother, our parents will be getting married.”

“So, we just give up?” He barked, and he didn’t mean to raise his voice, but the pain was swallowing him once again and he felt like he was going to suffocate should he continue listening to why his happiness was wrong, why his happiness shouldn’t be happening.

“There’s nothing to give up Jungkook, this is meaningless…”

So, she was calling his happiness meaningless? She was straight out calling his feelings towards her meaningless? Oh, two could play at that game… He’d made sure she didn’t even know the word happiness by the time he was finished with her. She wanted to play the meaningless game, and Jungkook was nothing short of competitive.

“Fine, you’re right. It’s meaningless” he spoke harshly before walking away, not caring about the small protests that sounded from , it was meaningless anyways… Right?