SIX

Two Pieces of a Puzzle

              I figured I would have some time to prepare myself, but as soon as we settled into the dimly lit room, everyone started chanting my name. I eventually gave in, punching in the number for a ballad song and picking up the mic.

              I occasionally would go to karaoke back in America with Jessica and some of her friends, but that was as close to ‘singing practice’ as I had the past few years. In the first few lyric-less seconds of the song, I took a few deep breaths and attempted to calm my nerves. Imagine succeeding; imagine singing well, without mistakes, and with passion.

              I gripped the mic more tightly as the trio of bubbles appeared over the lyrics, counting down the start of my part. As the last one disappeared, I opened my mouth to sing.

              However, as soon as I hit the first note, I cringed; it was slightly flat. Luckily, no one else reacted to my mishap, so I quickly corrected myself and told myself to forget about that mistake.

              All throughout the first part of the song, I felt their gazes on me; the feeling instigated a squeamish feeling that I tried my hardest to ignore. Luckily, I didn’t make any more glaring mistakes and breathed a sigh of relief as the first pause of the song came about.

              “Your girlfriend has the voice of an angel,” Sunny commented, voice filled with amazement.

              “No it’s not—” I began refuting her statement, shortly being interrupted by Tiffany.

              “Wow Taeyeon, I think I’m falling even deeper in love with you,” Tiffany said in a wispy, starstruck voice.

              I didn’t even have a chance to reply as the song quickly resumed.

              Don’t think too much of it, Taeyeon. Tiffany’s just like this; she likes teasing you and isn’t actually in love with you. She said it herself, the reason she does this is because she enjoys seeing my reactions.

              My curiosity boiled over the edge and, unable to help myself, I glanced over towards Tiffany’s direction.

              The four of them were sitting in front of the song choosing kiosk, flipping through the song selection book and discussing something with each other. I put my attention back onto the TV screen, taking note that what I was feeling was neither relief nor disappointment. It felt closer akin to worry—I wanted to participate in their conversation as well, but it almost felt like they were leaving me out of their dialog.

              After I finished singing, I set the mic down and let the song resolve itself, taking a seat at the edge of the couch.

              As the last chord of the song faded, the other four erupted into cheers.

              “Good job Taeyeon-ssi, that was amazing!”

              “Wow TaeTae, not only is your personality and appearance angelic, so is your voice.”

              “Tiffany … mind if I steal Taeyeon from you?”

              “Don’t you dare!”

              Tiffany started wrestling Sunny, who was simply laughing while trying to hold Tiffany back. I smiled at the interaction, wondering briefly if that’s what me struggling against Tiffany last night looked like.

              “Ok, my turn!” Sooyoung said, grabbing a mic of her own. The song that Sooyoung chose to sing was a more upbeat, animated song. It suited her well and she sang well, but from the corner of my eye, I saw Sunny secretively interacting with the kiosk. What was she doing?

              As Sooyoung’s song ended, Tiffany grabbed the mic I used and sat herself down to the immediately left of me, so close that I could feel her silky-smooth leg pressed against mine.

              “I dedicate this song to you, Taeyeon” Tiffany said, looking directly at me, “This is ‘Lost in Love’.”

              Right on cue, Tiffany stood up and started singing right as the song’s lyrical section began.

              Tiffany’s loud voice made for a powerful, soulful singing voice. The however many years Tiffany spent in Korea did nothing to deteriorate her English skills as she not only hit every note, but every word’s pronunciation with passion. Remembering Tiffany’s words prior to the song started making me feel self-conscious.

              I was resolved to simply staring at my hands for the entirety of the song, even as I felt Tiffany’s gaze on me. It was hard to remember to not take her actions seriously, especially given the sincerity in which Tiffany delivered them. Tiffany is just like this; don’t let this get into my head.

              When Tiffany’s song concluded, I joined the rest in applause and cheers, finally lifting my head to look at her.

              “Why didn’t you look at me?” Tiffany pouted, laying on the cuteness to a tipping point. Normally, aegyo and I didn’t mix, but Tiffany’s aegyo was a completely different story. “Was I not good?”

              “It’s not that…” I trailed off, unwilling to finish. I was hoping to be cut off by the start of the next song but was instead met with utter silence. Why would they stop the playlist now? Why must they make me suffer? “It’s … you said you dedicated it to me, so I felt embarrassed,” I muttered, staring intensely at my lap.

              Tiffany’s face lit up like a Christmas tree as she heard my words and pulled me into a hug. “You’re so adorable TaeTae!” she squealed, gripping me with a strength I would have never expected such a skinny person to have.

              “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Sooyoung and Sunny started chanting as the next song’s title flashed onto the screen.

              “Yah, you two never know when to stop do you,” Seohyun said, grabbing a mic and swiftly reprimanding them both.

              “Good luck Seobaby,” Tiffany said as we sat back on the couch.

              Seobaby? That was Tiffany’s nickname for her? … Why?

              Tiffany’s giggling alerted me that I was speaking aloud my thoughts again. She pressed her hand against my thigh, saying, “It’s my nickname for her because she’s a year younger than all of us. Seohyun is just so smart that she skipped a grade, which is why she hangs out with Sooyoung, Sunny, and me.” I could feel the teasing nature of her words, and that made me self-conscious again.

              “It’s not like I was jealous or anything, you don’t have to reassure me like that,” I mumbled without really thinking first.

              This caused Tiffany to full out laugh. “Is that right?” she said, clearly in disbelief.

              I elected not to respond, desperately trying to ignore Tiffany’s hand that was slowly snaking around my back, eventually latching onto my hipbone opposite to her.

              As Seohyun’s song finished, I just about breathed a sigh of relief as Tiffany retracted her hand to applaud for her. I joined them in their applause; while still immature, Seohyun’s voice was unmistakably pure and strong. If she took voice lessons, she could probably release her own album.

              However, what popped up next straight up terrified me.

              “It’s your turn, TiffTae,” Sooyoung shouted as she cheered with Sunny, each handing us a mic. On the TV screen flashed the title of a famous duet with its accompanying music video. So that’s what Sunny was doing?

              Tiffany’s shocked expression didn’t pass by me unnoticed; however, she quickly recovered and accepted both mics, handing me one. “I don’t know, I think I prefer TaeNy more,” she pondered as I hesitantly took the mic.

              “What? But isn’t the dominant one usually the first name?” Sunny replied.

              “I mean, I’m pretty sure that would be the case in bed,” Tiffany said, winking at me.

              My face went from zero to one hundred in an instant. I tried to stammer out a reply but drew up blank. Sooyoung and Sunny laughed, Seohyun sitting there in silence as Tiffany shot me another grin, promptly starting the song.

              About an hour later, our timeslot for the room expired and we headed back outside.

              “Aah, it’s so hooot,” Sooyoung complained immediately after stepping back into the summer heat.

              “Here,” Tiffany said, fanning Sooyoung with her hand as we continued to walk.

              “That’s nice…” she replied, smiling in content.

              I, who was walking a pace behind the two, stared at them.

              “You’re not getting jealous, are you?”

              Sunny’s voice caused me to jump. I looked over at her and was met with a mischievous smile. Judging how Seohyun was walking in front of Tiffany and Sooyoung, I figured no one was coming to my rescue this time.

              “No, it’s just that … I mean, it’s inefficient to fan someone with your hand,” I said, quickly drawing up an explanation in my head, “Sweating is the human process of regulating the body temperature, but that process takes energy, which usually takes less energy than the action of fanning your hand like that.”

              Sunny eyed me, looking at me as if I were an alien. “Um, ok …  I mean that sounds right, but I’m just an education major,” she replied.

              I nodded, content with my answer. “So basically, that’s why using a traditional paper fan is so much better; a fan is—”

              “Oh, TaeTae, we should go there! You’ve never been there before, right?” Tiffany’s energetic voice interrupted me. Before I had the chance to respond, she was already pulling me away from Sunny, towards a street market.

              “Weren’t we going to lunch?” I inquired, allowing myself to be dragged by her.

              “This is more important,” she claimed, stopping by a stand selling what appeared to be cell phone accessories.

              “Yah Tiff, I’m hungry,” Sooyoung complained, swiping at Tiffany’s hand.

              Tiffany turned around and stuck her tongue out at her, to which Sooyoung replied in kind.

              “Aren’t you two too old to be doing that?” Seohyun scolded them, laughing regardless.

              “Well I’m hungry too, but you don’t hear me whining every time I get hungry,” Sunny retorted.

              “Well it’s not my fault you gain weight so easily,” Sooyoung shot back as Tiffany dragged me into a clothing store.

              “Yah Sooyoung, not everyone can enjoy having such nice genes,” Tiffany said as she released my hand, running her hands through the clothing racks.

              “Yeah unnie, why can’t you share it with us? I want to eat whatever I want while still losing weight too,” Seohyun piped up.

              I remained silent in their exchange, obediently following Tiffany along as she scanned the various shirts in the store.

              “Oh! Seohyun, come here,” she said, beckoning her. Seohyun quickly closed to distance to her as Tiffany took an outfit off the clothing rack and bringing it in front of a nearby body length mirror. “This. Wouldn’t this look good on you?” she said, holding up a thin strapped, low-cut white top with an accompanying knee-length, light pink skirt.

              “Just because it’s pink…” Seohyun trailed off, looking at herself through the mirror.

              “No! I mean, it does look good, right?” Tiffany said, chuckling as Seohyun broke out into a smile.

              “Yeah, it does,” she admitted, receiving the hangers from Tiffany.

              I didn’t really know what to say. I couldn’t really say that I was too into fashion, so I couldn’t share their excitement; I felt like a third wheel—or a fifth wheel, as it were.

              Seohyun didn’t end up buying the outfit, claiming that she could probably find it online for cheaper. As we departed, Tiffany grabbed her hand, me trailing behind the four of them.

              So Tiffany was someone who just naturally held hands with people. Tending to avoid physical contact myself, I never knew how to interpret actions such as hand holding, hugging, kisses on the cheek, and the like. Jessica was also like Tiffany in this regard.

              We walked for a few more minutes, with me trailing behind the four friends talking animatedly about a drama they watched recently, turning back around upon reaching an intersection.

              “Have you seen anything you want, Taeyeon-ssi?” Sunny asked as we turned around. I found myself startled by the interaction, having gotten used to remaining silent in the span of the last couple of minutes.

              “No, not really; by the way, we’re the same age, right? There’s no need for honorifics,” I informed her.

              “Oh, really? Can I call you my friend, then?” she asked eagerly.

              “Yeah, of course,” I said; my eyes, for some reason, quickly glanced ahead to Tiffany, who was still talking to Seohyun and Sooyoung about something.

              Unfortunately, Sunny caught me doing this. “Jealous of them?” she inquired again in an obviously teasing voice.

              “What? No, I was just—” I hurried to answer, trying to draw up another explanation before being cut off by Sunny.

              “No excuses this time, Ms. Einstein. It’s ok to admit your feelings.”

              I let out a huff—a brief laugh mixed with a dismissive scoff. “It’s not like that. I’m just Tiffany’s … acquaintance,” I explained to her.

              “Aw, don’t say that,” Sunny said, pouting slightly, “You’ll break poor Tiffany’s heart.”

              I actually scoffed this time, but before I could reply, Tiffany cut in. “Are you teasing my poor little TaeTae again?”

              “Since when was she ‘yours’?” Sunny retorted.

              Tiffany grabbed a hold of my arm. “Ever since I laid my eyes on her,” she said protectively.

              “Ugh, you’re so cheesy,” Sunny said, making a puking motion before joining up with Sooyoung. “Sooyoung, you’re still hot? Why didn’t you buy a fan or something?”

              “Sorry for not talking to you in the street market.”

              I looked at Tiffany, question in my eyes. “Why would you apologize for that?” I inquired.

              “You felt lonely without me, didn’t you?” Tiffany asked with puppy eyes, frowning slightly.

              My lips curved into a smile as an automatic response to that. “Sure, I did,” I admitted.

              Tiffany’s lips, and eyes, burst into a smile of their own. “Don’t worry, I’ll never abandon you ever again,” she said, hugging my arm close to her chest.

              “Yah, you two lovebirds hurry up,” Sooyoung shouted from ahead.

              “Don’t be jealous because you aren’t us,” Tiffany said, sticking her tongue out at her again before releasing my arm, walking up to join them.

              That’s what decided it for me. Yes, I was a shy person, but that was only because I had trouble finding ways to initiate conversations with others. In reality, what I desired more than anything was another person’s company, and Tiffany was the perfect person for the role. Even though I had to go back to America for another year of college, I decided to firmly resolve myself at being the best friend I could be to her.

              “Hm, I’m a bit disappointed. Why only ‘friend’?”

              Tiffany’s sing-song voice trailed off in the wind as she skipped cheerfully to join the other three. . Why did I have to say that out loud?

 

Taeyeon seemed to be a little troubled … hmm, I wonder what’s up with her?

What do you think? And also, what’s up with Taeyeon’s ‘resolution’?

Tiffany and her friends are quite uncontrollable, aren’t they?

Why am I asking so many questions in this end-of-chapter author’s note?

Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading! :D