EMBLEMS: Alpha Centauri, Ariel and Umbriel - For My Moon by rosypeaches

SHOP for Maps, 3D-Visualisations, World Ideas, and Co. (for free)

About the Fanfic Behind the Emblems

The story My Moon written by rosypeaches tells of King Baekhyun from Alpha Centauri (the stellar system closest to our solar system) who is in search of his long-lost queen. He gets involved with the two princesses from Umbriel and Ariel (main moons of planet Uranus), which makes for a bitter-sweet fantasy romance story:

 

"Sometimes, I think of the sun and the moon as lovers who rarely meet, always chase and almost always miss one another. However, once in a while, they do catch up and they kiss, and the world stares in awe of their eclipse."

- Anonymous

 

Remembering watching the solar eclipse in awe when I was a child, it was such a pleasure to create emblems for this grand story!

Other Versions

A) On Other Backgrounds

 

Symbolism of the Emblems

A) Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri is the stellar system closest to our solar system. It has three stars that orbit around each other and planets orbiting these stars (stars are suns in other solar systems). The exact number of planets is still subject of research, as finding planets (which don't emit light themselves) is a lot more difficult than finding stars/suns. In the story, Alpha Centauri is the main place of action and King Baekhyun's kingdom.

Therefore, the star in the middle denotes that the emblem represents a stellar system. The three pillars arranged in a perfectly symmetrical way symbolise the three stars of Alpha Centauri. In the story, these light sources are connected, which is represented in the emblem through the band connecting the pillars. The design is kept in white and warm yellow colours and with a certain glow to it; again, in association to the themes of royalty, sun, and light.

Shown here as a pendant, it was imagined to be of a transparent crystal-like material holding a glowing star that seems to be held up by three pillars, which in turn are connected by a wafting translucent and likewise glowing band.

Other Versions:

        

B) Umbriel

Umbriel is the third largest moon of Uranus, the seventh planet from the sun in our solar system. It is characterised by lots of craters on its surface and a distinctive ring on top; almost like a halo. It has sort of a dark image. In the story, Umbriel is ruled by the more tomboyish and rough princess Seo Yeon.

Thus, Umbriel's emblem features a clear and simple but balanced and powerful design. The circle in the centre and something orbiting around it (the "bands") denote that it represents a moon. And to represent Umbriel's belonging to our earth's solar system, it additionally features eight diamonds. (Can you spot them?) Diamonds because, they are very much an earthly product and symbolic for our materialistic world. Also, Seo Yeon might be seen as a “diamond in the rough”. Also, the diamonds have four edges as four is a grounded and stable number that evokes a feeling of calmness and solidity. Four is very much rooted in the physical world and is about being present and in the 'now'. For example, there are four seasons, four elements, and four corners of the earth. Four is about building a strong foundation and developing a down-to-earth perspective. Eight (eight diamonds) in turn symbolises balance. It balances the material and immaterial worlds. Additionally, four of the eight diamonds form a star in the middle; our solar system has one single star at it's centre - the sun. The "dragon tails" around the circle may additionally stand for strength and power. As do the silver or metallic and royal blue colours of the design: they are both cold and sharp colours which go well with the dark image of Umbriel.

As a pendant, it was imagined as a royal blue disk held within a metal setting; again in association to its princess' tomboyish yet noble character.

Other Versions:

        

C) Ariel

Ariel is also a moon of Uranus, the fourth largest to be precise. It is also known to be one of the youngest moons of Uranus. In the story, Ariel is ruled by princess Na Yeon, Seo Yeon's sister. She is your perfect well-mannered and flowery lady, but also has a jealous and scheming side.

As a result, the emblem of Ariel shows a crown of diamonds on tumbling petals - or blades, however one looks at it. Likewise, the flower at the bottom balances the sharper diamonds at the top. And like for Umbriel, the eight diamonds stand for Ariel's belonging to our solar system and the sphere in the middle surrounded by the petals floating around it denote that emblem represents a moon. The petals (or blades) in turn were inspired by the "scratches" characteristic for the surface of the moon Ariel. Colour-wise the design sports soft and gentle pastel colours to symbolise youth and feminity.

As a pendant, it was imagined to be of iridescent and translucent material, which holds the fixed diamond crown and sphere, as well as the floating petals.

Other Versions:

        

Credits and Thanks

The general idea and look-and-feel was provided by rosypeaches, as well as valuable feedback on style, design, symbolism, and so on. Again, thank you so much!! It was such a huge pleasure to work on this together with you! <3<3