No Jam Bros

Dream

Chaeyoung’s POV

I just finished reviewing my notes when I heard my phone buzzed. Once I checked it, I was surprised on what I saw.

From: No Jam Sr. Jeongtrich
To: No Jam Jr. Cubchaeng

‘Hey, it’s been a long while now, Cub! How are you there in Japan? I just want to tell you that I’ll be staying there in Kobe for a short while with someone. Let’s see each other when you’re free, ok? There’s a lot that I want to catch up with you. Oh, and don’t forget Mina. That’s all, Chaeng. See you soon!’

I was so happy that I started shouting and running all over my apartment after reading the message. “Woohoo! Hyung’s coming to Japan! YES!!!” I then heard a loud bang on my wall that momentarily stopped me from my little celebration.

“Whatever is going on in there, I hope you can at least lessen the noise! I really want to rest here for Pete’s sake!” Mr. Go, my old neighbor, yelled on the other side. “I-I’m so sorry! I promise, it won’t happen again, Sir. Sorry for disturbing you!”

I quickly apologized before composing myself. A smile was still plastered over my face. Memories of my childhood instantly passed by my mind, making me reminisce every important moment when I was still a kid.

Yoo Jeongyeon, Jeong for short, is my best friend other than Mina, but that creep was more of a brother to me. Our first meeting was not a good one actually. Before moving here in Japan, I was living mainly first in States. My dad was a business man back then and his main branches are in Los Angeles.

I then met Mina there and after a while, we met Jeongyeon who’s pretty much of a delinquent kid back then. But he only hurt the bullies, especially the foreign ones. It was kind’a bad timing that day. I accidentally broke Mina’s favorite music box that has a ballerina model spinning slowly in the center. It was her mother’s precious memento given to her.

She was crying unstoppably when Jeong reached our place in rage and grabbed my collar. He was glaring at me while gritting his teeth. “Are you one of the new bullies here, huh?! Why did you made her cry, midget punk?!”

I was not scared at him so I pushed him away. That pissed him off so he tried to punch me when Mina blocked us. His fist never landed on me or on Mina. He was speechless at first when Mina begun to explain everything.

He became awkwardly silent then he apologized to us before walking away in shame. After that misunderstanding, we decided to make him join us since we know that he’s a really nice kid. After many attempts, we have enabled to make him come with us.

Little by little, we became close with one another. As weeks and months passed by, we’ve learned so many things about ourselves and our friendship became strong and almost inseparable.

Jeong and I became even more close that we treat each other like brothers, hence the name ‘No Jam Bros’ since we’re both so corny and unfunny whenever we joke around, though Mina never failed to laugh at us even if it really is a nonsense joke. She’s our loyal listener and laugher.

But one day, we both need to broke apart and move far away from each other. Jeongyeon was going back to Korea while Mina and I were moving to Japan to continue our studies here. I can still remember how we childishly cry for hours. We all promised to meet again one day and now knowing that he’s going to Japan even for just a little while, I’ll make sure to cover up all those years we’ve been apart.

“Let’s spend our time like we used to be, Hyung!” I pumped my fist in the air while dancing dorkily. I completely forget about the tiredness I felt just a while ago.

‘I wonder who is that someone though. Oh well, better tell Mina this very good news!’