I Am You’re Bestfriend

Dream

Chaeyoung’s POV

I was staring blankly at the clear sky as the cool wind brushed over my exposed skin.

“It’s been almost eleven years since I met Mina. I wonder if she ever thought of loving someone. That girl never showed any affection towards all the boys that passed through her life.” I mumbled. My best friend was pretty busy with her school. She never had even one relationship all this time.

Not that she’s not popular or something. Mina is a very attractive student in our school. All guys gawks at her and most of them confesses every single day. I always watch behind as she rejects them all and walked back to me with a small smile.

‘Who are you kidding, Chaeng? You’re saying that as if it worries you, but the truth is, you’re so happy that the girl you love is not looking for someone out there.’ My inner self said which made me frown and grin at the same time. “I know.”

“Who are you talking to?” A faint voice coming from the person I’ve been waiting for had infiltrate my peacefully, silent space.

I turned around and smiled sheepishly. “No one, just muttering some nonsense over the air because you're so slow that I’m starting to get bored and lonely.” She just rolled her eyes before holding my arm.

“I’m so sorry, Grandpa. Next time, I’ll make sure to come in time.” She irritatingly retorted to me while smiling sarcastically. I ruffled her smooth crimson brown hair but it seems like she doesn’t mind and started pulling me with her.

“But seriously, I’m sorry. My professor was nagging my members, and being their leader, I can’t do anything to escape his annoying sermon.” She explained while looking down.

I sighed and pinch her cheeks lightly while raising her head so she can see my face. “It’s totally fine, Minari. I know that your lesson comes first and I’m so okay with that. Your dream matters to me too, you know? And what more is ... it’s not your fault. Let’s just go enjoy our day together so you can rest later.” I smiled at her and like the usual, she'll poke my dimples and giggled cutely.

I can’t help but do that as she smiles cutely at me … those pretty gummy smiles that she gives away only at me.

“Thank you, Chaeng, my kindest and corniest best friend. I love you so much!” She gave me a light peck on the cheek that instantly caused some summersaults inside my stomach.

She walked away gracefully while I was stuck on my place as my hand wonders over the spot where Mina kissed me. Though I was blushing, my smile was mixed with bitterness as my mind mentioned something. ‘I am your best friend. ONLY a BEST FRIEND to you. A love that I hope will be something more.’

Shaking off the sadness I felt, I ran to her side with my usual smile and held her hand. “This cub will hold his penguin so she won’t get lost.” She only giggled as she let me drag her to our favorite place.

‘At least I am something special for you, right? I can’t be greedy. For now, I'll just stay here like this since I know that means I can be there beside you.’ I’ll peek to see her beautiful face from time to time. Those beautiful gummy smiles that effortlessly captivate my heart everytime I look at them.

‘Yeah, it’s better than nothing.’

We’re both smiling from ear to ear while running like kids with our hands holding each other together as if we don’t want to let go anymore. Every second we spare for each other is precious as diamonds.

‘I love you so much, Mina. I’m dreaming that this feelings with reach you someday. Even it means I need to wait for so long, I will.