His Side

Dream

Jeongyeon’s POV

After that bunny girl was dragged away by that tall guy, I became mute. All of a sudden, a scene from the past flashes back to me.

(Flashback: 7 years ago in Tokyo, Japan…)

“Are you one of the new bullies here, huh?! Why did you made her cry, midget punk?!” I angrily spat when I grab this one kid by the collar when I saw the girl in front of him crying.

My sisters used to get bullied by some random kids back then so I promised to fight back anyone who’ll bully the weak ones. I didn’t hesitate even if what I am doing will make a scene or get me troubled. It completely sickens me whenever someone dares to belittle the helpless.

This guy in front of me is showing nothing but a poker face which taken me aback for a second. I was surprised when he pushed me. That pissed me off instantly so I aimed my fist right to his face when the crying girl blocked us in between.

“S-stop! Please d-don’t hurt Chaenggie! No fighting!” Her faint voice being forced to be used in a higher pitch snapped me. She looked right into my eyes even though tears are still visible on them.

What followed up from her quivering lips froze me. “Chaeng accidentally broke my music box. I just cried because it’s really important to me. B-but please, don’t do something without consulting things first, especially with violence as an answer. Rushing over with things is wrong, but adding salt into the wound cause consequences!”

I was speechless. For the first time in my life, after all those beating I gave to the bullies I met, right now is the first time I became rooted on the ground as guilt started to eat me. Having nothing to cover up my mistakes, I bowed down so low because I can’t find the right words to apologize to my acts.

“It’s alright, Hyung. I know you, and I kind’a know what you usually do here in school. I’m still cool to it so don’t feel guilty. It was my fault too anyway. What more is, Mina and I already forgave you. Right, Minari?” The guy I was about to hurt just let it off like it was not a big deal.

That Mina girl nodded in agreement with her tears no longer present in her eyes after the small kid brushed them off slowly and carefully with his thumbs. He calmly smiled at me before raising his hand.

“I’m Son Chaeyoung and this is Myoui Mina. We’re both Asians but I’m Korean and she’s Japanese. Let’s forget what just happened and become friends, shall we?” I stared at him and the girl. ‘This two are really weird. Nobody befriend me, not even the kids I saved.’

I shakily took his hand. “O-ok. I’m Yoo Jeongyeon, 11 years old. Nice to meet you two.” They showed me the most genuine smile I ever received other than my sisters.

After that, they never stopped bothering me. We had a big but these two never minded it. I was pretty awkward at first, but I started to get fond of them and we became so close to the point that I began to question myself, ‘What did I do to deserve them?’

(End of Flashback…)

I just got a taste of my own medicine … for the second time. It was like a déjà vu and because of that, I can’t help but to think about that bunny girl since that very moment. ‘Is it because I desperately want to apologize to her or something else?’

I feel both lucky and unlucky because she's my classmate. I can feel her staring on my back too and I can’t help but to smile knowing that. I purposely turned my head to her just to see her cute face before sitting back like nothing happened. ‘What’s wrong with me? If this is karma, why does it feel good?’

Even in lunch, I’ll secretly take a glance on her back and silently chuckle when I see her trying to search for the one who’s staring at her and find nothing. She’s effortlessly adorable for some reason and I’m completely trapped in an unknown space because of it.

After school hours, I decided to leave immediately and find a part-time job. Living alone with only my monthly allowance is not good enough, and my workaholic self won’t accept it too if I spent a day without working.

My walk was completely fine, not until I saw something that instantly boiled my blood to its final limit. Without any hesitation, I rushed in and punched a drunken guy’s face with all my might and rage. The drunken guy flew away from the impact while I rushed to the girl’s aid near him.

“Hey, are you ok? Are you hurt?!” I can’t control my voice anymore as I check if she’s ok or not. She’s just looking back at me without uttering anything. Her eyes are in complete shock which made me worried more. I shook her shoulders as gently as I can.

“What’s wrong?! Why aren’t you answering me?! Come on, say something!” I can’t help but to panic and worry. ‘The hell’s happening to me?! Just freaking answer me already, Im Nayeon!’

Still trying to look if she’s hurt or not, the girl in my hands then suddenly called out with such breathe taking smile which make me froze on my spot and made me blank with no reason.

“Jeongyeon.”