The First Time We’ve Met

Dream

Author’s POV

A little boy around seven of age, wearing a white shirt and an all-out jumper, was seating alone on a bench near the playground. He was drawing something on his sketchpad. Other kids are busy playing random games in groups while he stays still there in complete solitude.

To others, he looks like a sore thumb, but he himself doesn’t care. He simply loves to be alone.

While he’s busy at his artwork, a ball fly off and hit right exactly at the pool of freshly wet pile of mud near him, making the dense soil splash over the boy’s pad. “Hey! Can you give that ball back to us?!” A chubby kid smugly said. The boy didn’t utter anything and silently putted down his pencil and sketchpad aside.

With his short legs, he walked over and took the ball. He slowly got near the kids who kept acting highly … a complete vibe of a bully.

Expressionless, that’s what the little boy has as he stare at the group of mean kids. “Yah! It has mud on it. Go clean it up first, Shorty!” The chubby kid said before throwing the ball back to the boy.

The boy's clothes became dirty as the muddy ball contacted over the white fabric. He looked down as if he’s contemplating for a second.

Without a word, he picked up the ball once again and surprisingly, he threw it right at the chubby kid's face. The chubby kid’s buddies started approaching the little boy and not long after, a fight begins. It was unfair since it’s one against four.

In the end, the little boy was left with bruises and swollen spots all over his face and body. He wasn't crying though, he fought a losing game after all. He’s dead silent after the bullies left him with smug looks in their faces.

As if his day won’t become any more worse, raindrops started falling down from the dark sky. Feeling tired and completely defeated, the little boy just stayed lying flat on the ground with his eyes closed, not minding the water drenching his sore body.

Several minutes passed when he felt something odd. It was still raining and clearly, droplets can still touch his legs, but his head and the upper part of his body can't seem to sense anymore raindrops falling over it.

He opened his eyes, only to meet a pair of kind eyes of a little girl looking down at him. She was holding an umbrella that both covered them from the rain shower.

He can’t say anything. He was so mesmerized by the girl’s eyes. “Aren’t you gonna stand up? You might get sick if you stayed there any longer.” The girl’s voice somehow tingled over the boy’s ears. It was so calm and soft. Without breaking his gaze over the girl, he slowly stood up, slightly hissing as he feel the stinging pain from his bruises.

As if the girl can feel the staggering of the boy, she immediately holds his arm and supported him. “T-thank you.” It was weak but the girl can clearly hear his raspy shy voice since they’re so close to each other.

Instead of replying back, she carefully pulled the boy back to the bench where he sat at a while ago. Since she thought it’s almost stupid and useless, the girl left her umbrella on the ground. “Why did you do that? Now you’re drench.” The boy faintly said but received no reply.

Minutes passed and no words were given. They just stared blankly forward while getting wet by the rain. The girl then noticed the sketchpad. She took it silently and looked over it, page by page.

“Your drawing … it’s so cute.” The boy turned in surprise by what the girl said. His face went into shades of pink instantly as the girl showed her gummy smile. “T-thank you.” He shyly replied the same words for the second time while scratching his nape.

“Myoui Mina.” The girl simply introduced while raising her hand. The boy hesitated at first but he then gently held the girl's soft hand as he showed his dimple smile while the other showed her gummy smile sweetly.

“Son Chaeyoung.”