Found

Whose Melody?
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“They say you can captivate one’s heart through music…I have always thought that such nonsense did not apply to me until the day it happened. There she was with her back turned to me as I watched and listened from the doorway while she played a sad tune on the piano. Her jet-black hair shined brown, reflecting the light from the sun as she passionately pressed on the ivory keys. I’ve heard several people play the piano, but she was different. It seemed as if her music was talking to me, reaching out to touch my heart. I stood unnoticed, listening as the sound echoed against the walls engulfing me in a tight embrace. Oh how I wish I had stayed standing there when she turned around. However, the coward that I am hid from her view and ran. To this day I know nothing of this mystery girl who had enchanted my heart with her hypnotizing melody.”

 

Applause rang throughout the classroom as the aloof young man maneuvered his well-built body toward his seat, his previously read paper clutched in one hand.

 

“Nice work Kai. Although it is lacking, it’s better than your previous papers. You will receive 8 out of 10 for this creative writing assignment. Well done,” the instructor stood up from his chair after giving the young man the good news.

 

Kai nodded his head and did nothing else, while some other students whispered how unfair it was because they found nothing wrong with Kai’s writing.

 

“Okay settle down! I don’t want to hear any more,” the professor quieted them. “You are all dismissed, but please remember that your research papers are due at the end of the week. I don’t want to read another mediocre essay so don’t procrastinate. This is our last big project before graduation; put some work into it.”

 

Unfortunately, the words of wisdom went unnoticed because the students were busily putting their things away to prepare for lunchtime. The professor noticed this and sighed while leaving the classroom.

 

Once he was gone, a few girls sitting in front of Kai turned around to say,” That was beautiful Kai-ssi.”

 

“I think sensei is jealous of you,” one of the girls commented.

 

“Yeah, he always gives you an 8 or lower on the writing warm ups,” another girl agreed.

 

“Do you realize what you just said? Why would sensei have a reason to be jealous?” he insulted them.

 

Despite the insult, the girls replied with, “Because you’re handsome and athletic.”

 

“No,” Kai deadpanned, “if any of you had half a brain you would have noticed that the highest score he’s ever given is 9, and that’s because he has high expectations for all of us.”

 

Sensing that they’ve angered him, the girls looked apologetically at him while saying, “You’re right Kai-ssi, how could we have not noticed.”

 

Kai grunted in annoyance and got out of his chair.

 

“Where are you going Kai-ssi?” one of the girls stood up with him.

 

“None of your business,” he said in a cold tone then walked away. “Don’t think about following me either,” he added as an afterthought, causing the girls to sit back down.

 

When a different girl was sure he was completely gone, she stood up from her chair and approached her friend.

 

“Psst…Jihye?”

 

Golden brown eyes looked up at her with a questioning glance. “What is it Ara?”

 

“You’re in the music club right?”

 

Jihye nodded her head happily, her ponytail bouncing up and down.

 

“Does anyone in there play the piano?”

 

Jihye gave her a strange look, “Yeah…I do, remember?”

 

“I don’t mean you. I meant someone else.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well…” Ara got closer by putting her arm on Jihye’s desk, “in your opinion, who would you say is the best.”

 

Jihye looked up thoughtfully. “Hmm…is it Chaeryeong?” she wondered out loud. “Mm…it’s Chaeryeong,” she told Ara with conviction.

 

“Ah, the one from Class 2-C?” Ara continued to pry.

 

“Yes, why?”

 

“Oh nothing,” Ara flashed a little smirk and stood up from the chair she was occupying.

 

“I know that look Ara, what are you up to? Don’t leave me out,” Jihye got close to Ara’s face and gave her a puppy dog pout.

 

“Okay, okay, you know I hate it when you stare at me like that,” Ara sighed. “I was going to go stalk Kai.”

 

“What for?”

 

“I just wanted to check if my assumption is right.”

 

“What assumption?”

 

“That Chaeryeong is the mystery girl who enchanted his heart,” Ara replied dreamily.

 

“But he said he doesn’t know the girl,” Jihye told her.

 

“Right, but you never know with these written stories.”

 

“Then how are you so sure that the scenario he related to us was even real and not just fiction,” Jihye reasoned with her.

 

“Are you coming with me or not? It will be one great adventure,” Ara wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“Okay, okay let’s go,” Jihye ran out of the room, dragging Ara along with her.

 

“Woah! Slow down Ji!” Ara panicked as they maneuvered through the hallway traffic.

 

“No way,” Jihye exclaimed, “this is fun!”

 

“Ahh!!! We’re going to crash!” Ara shouted after seeing the wall up ahead.

 

“Hang on!” Jihye said while happily avoiding the crowd of people.

 

“I can’t look!” Ara closed her eyes tight; however, after a few seconds she opened them back up when they abruptly stopped. “Is it over?”

 

“Whoa that was fun,” Jihye said excitedly, trying to get her normal breathing back.

 

Ara got a little mad and smacked Jihye on the arm.

 

“Ouch! What was that for?”

 

“For almost killing us!”

 

“Hey, you were the one who wanted to go on an adventure and find Kai’s mystery girl.”

 

“Yeah, but…”

 

“But what? Just admit you had fun too,” Jihye urged.

 

“Fine, I had fun. Happy now?”

 

“Yes, very,” Jihye’s dimples showed as she gave Ara a big smile.

 

“Well then, now that you’re happy let’s go find Kai,” this time Ara was the one dragging Jihye.

 

After a while of walking around, they finally reached the hallway that the music room was located in. They were about to turn the corner when they caught a glance of Kai talking to a girl with long jet-black hair. They stopped there and crouched to the ground, peeking at the two. Only now did they realize that the hallway was empty. Despite that, they couldn’t hear the words exchanged betw

Please log in to read the full chapter