Prologue

Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tumblr link: https://moonlightjongin.tumblr.com/post/144803505187/exception-1

 

Taemin: a name with which you're well acquainted.

Taemin: your best friend.

It hadn't always been that way, which would come as a surprise to your peers, seeing as for the longest time, your very claim to fame was the fact that you knew him. It wasn't to say he was a celebrity in the traditional sense, but in the super affluent neighborhood you'd migrated to, he and his family were pretty much the top of the food chain. There wasn't anyone who didn't know of him or of his family's influence. 

Initially, you had no idea...

 

  It was a chilly November morning in the days of your youth, when you first encountered Lee Taemin. Your family had been driving through your new, cushy neighborhood when they came across a boy your age, tittering along the sidewalk with a nervousness to his steps, completely alone.

Evidently, he was lost, and your parents, as much as they tended to be preoccupied with work -- usually for weeks at a time -- did have hearts. 

Upon closer inspection, he was dressed well, his manners seeming impeccable, even at his young age. Your father initiated the conversation, asking him where his family were and what it was he was doing on his own. It wasn’t dark by any means, but this was a child that was evidently the same age or a year older than his toddler daughter. It was difficult not to worry.

He needed to get the boy home to where he’d be safe, so he pulled the car to a stop and escorted his wife towards the child. They seemed to speak for an age and a half, and you, the aforementioned daughter, were starting to get restless.  You knew this moving house thing was a bad idea, you just didn't have the evidence to prove it... 

Until now.

 

After the age and half they spent talking to the boy from the sidewalk, they eventually made their way back to the car, and helped the boy into the seat beside you. Nothing but smiles. 

You balked. Not only at the fact that they hadn't smiled like that at you for as long as you could remember, but because you knew what that smile meant. They wanted another child, obviously. 

And luckily for them, he'd just apparated out of nowhere? For you, it was the final straw. Not only did you not want to move house, never mind city, you were quite content being an only child. The last thing you wanted was a sibling in form of the boy beside you. 

You humphed, crossing your arms over your chest, turning the other way so you didn’t have to face the intruder who was obviously trying to steal your parents’ love.

Your father told you to behave, and to greet the boy beside you. The boy your mother was still cooing at. Another bout of bitterness sunk within you. She’d always wanted a son, you knew it. 

You felt so betrayed. But you were determined to not cry in front of your competition, so you turned to him, turning your head up at him, saying snottily, “they’re my parents and you can’t have them.”  Better to be direct than for him to think you were something to be scoffed at, no? 

 “_____!” Your mother scolded, paling in an instant.  

Your father was evidently amused, but as if he’d realized the boy would be more comfortable talking to someone his own age than two adults, having noted the shyness he presented when he and your mother made their way to him, previously. “Ask him where his home address is, _____,” he said.

You pouted, willing your tears back. This was so unfair. 

You held on reluctantly at first, but eventually gave in. “Where is your home?” You paused, realizing you didn’t know the intruder’s name.

“Taemin,” your mother supplied, still cooing. 

“Taemin,” you amended, a bitter tint to your words. 

He shuffled in his seat nervously, like he was afraid to look anyone in the eye. He whispered to you where he lived, before turning his gaze straight ahead, avoiding eye contact once more.

You repeated the address, stumbling over your words a little. He’d enunciated it perfectly, but it was a longer address than you’d ever heard, with big words. Big words were scary, okay.  

“So where did you just come from, Taemin?”

He momentarily made eye contact with your mother. “A pageant,” he whispered shyly. 

She paused, eyes almost bulging out of her skull. “A pageant?”

As if he was us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter