041

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Summoners. Who are we?" Daesung barks, pointing his white stick of chalk at an unassuming girl sitting in the front row.


"Uh, Summoners are those who can bond with cards and control the Warriors within them?" She says shakily, shrugging as she accedently turns her answer into a question. Suicide when speaking with Daesung.

 

"Are we? Are you sure about that?" He snaps back, pinning her to the chair with his intense glare.

 

"Yes? Yes." She replies, more sure of her answer the third time around.

 

"Wrong!" Our teacher yells, causing us to jump as he snaps his chalk between the surface of his desk and his hand as he sweeps the room with his eyes, analyzing us all one at a time.

 

"Summoners are not those who can bond with cards, to be perfectly honest almost anyone could bond with a Warrior card if they tried hard enough." Small gasps echo as he reveals how truly, unspecial we really were.

 

"For you to fully understand why we are what we are and what our true purpose is, I'll need to take you back to the beginning." He holds his head high as he switches off the lights and taps on his laptop until a projection appears on the board.

 

The image is that of a cave drawing, but not the usual ones of humanoid figures hunting game or sitting with their tribe, Instead, the pixels displayed a crudely drawn image of a small array of huts with what looks to be straw roofs and mud walls.

 

"Long ago, during the early years of the human race's development, when there were only a few villages like the one you see, our race was threatened by the opening of a gateway. Gateways are what allow creatures to travel between the three realms, can anyone name those three realms?" He glances around, taking in the lowered hands and zipped lips.

 

Sighing, he continues. "The three realms are most commonly known as Heaven, Hell, and Earth, although they have many names given to them by many cultures. As I previously mentioned, creatures dewl within these realms, Angels in Heaven, Demons in Hell and Humans on Earth."

 

As quickly and quietly as I can, I begin taking notes, you never know what you might need to remember with Daesung as a teacher. Plus it's always good to know why you are the way you are.

 

"The gateway that had opened up was one that connected to Heaven and I'm sure you're wondering why this was a threat to our population, let me tell you this, the Demons feast on human souls and flesh because it's fun, but the Angels condemn anyone who is dark in their eyes. Anyone who has committed an unforgivable crime by their standards."

 

The slide changes at the click of a key and a picture of a genderless person stands, a winged figure hovering above them with a white mist pouring out of their mouth and into that of what looked to be the Angel.

 

"No one could exit their homes for fear of death, no one could hunt during the day because the Angels can only thrive and act in the light of day, this meant no one could eat and the villagers were slowly dying of hunger and thirst. The Angels had taken the lives of many, but the starvation and dehydration took almost double."

 

Again, small gasps sound as everyone remains entrapped in his recounting of our history.

 

Another change of slides occurs and a detailed picture of a young woman, looking not much older than sixteen, is brought up on the screen.

 

"This is Kaleena, the first ever Summoner," Daesung announces and even louder gasps and exclamations of shock echo, most coming from those who have always thought the first had been male.

 

"One night, as Kaleena's family lay in their beds, creeping closer to their deaths, she snuck out of their home and entered the forest hoping to catch some game that they could eat. Only, as a female, she was not taught how to hunt or use the sky as a time keep, leaving her stranded in the forest as the sun rose and the Angels descended upon the village, waiting to claim the souls of those who dared to exit their homes."

 

Another scene is depicted on the next slide, the same woman reaching upwards towards a winged figure as she lays on her back at the base of a large tree.

 

"Kaleena was soon spotted by the Angels and was hunted throughout the forest as she tried to hide, however she was cornered by one as she tripped over a root and was pinned against the tree you see here. Only, when the Angel made to take her soul, time froze and a powerful voice spoke from deep within the very trunk of the tree."

 

Click, Kaleena and the Angel are gone and a tall tree, with thousands of intricate carvings, is displayed in full

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter