035

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Avery, your breakfast is getting cold." DO calls from the other side of my door.
Not even half an hour earlier Chen had come up and said the exact same thing, Chanyeol before that and Kai before that. None of them seemed to understand me when I said I would come down once I had finished my assignment.
"I know DO. I'll be down once I finish this report, I promise." I call, annoyance seeping into my voice as I lose my train of thought.
"You said that over an hour ago, you must be done by now." He insists I hear the doorknob beginning to turn as he opens the door and welcomes himself inside.
  "I'm nearly done, just one more paragraph to go," I reassure, twirling my pen between my fingers as I try to come up with a good sentence starter.
"Avery, you need to eat." He says, stepping closer as he attempts to read over my shoulder. "And I will, once I finish this report," I repeat.
"Avery-" He continues to press me, not seeing or caring that I am about to snap.
  "DO, I've said it more than once and I will say it again, I will eat after I finish my report. This counts as twenty marks towards my years total, I need to get it done and I need it done perfectly otherwise Daesung will have my head." I snap, not realizing how aggressive I actually sound in that moment.
  As I speak, I turn in my chair and direct a hard stare towards my Earth Warrior, a stare I had used on many before him to get them to leave me in peace. It had never failed me before and my luck wasn't going to stop now.
  I see him open his mouth to reply, but as I harden my gaze further, he shuts it and sighs, eyes towards the ground. "Alright, I'll put it in the microwave for when you're done."
He turns and walked back out the door, feet scuffing the ground and shoulders hunched in defeat. A small click sounds as he shuts the door behind him, my bedroom once again being engulfed in the silence I need.
  Shaking my head, I sigh and turn back to my scattered mess of papers and pens. A mix of neat notes from class and the scrambled paragraphs that are supposed to be my report are spread out in front of me, meshing together the longer I stare at the mess.
  It suddenly hits me how bad my report, one which I had been working on for nearly three days, looks. Writing slanted and almost illegible, the grammar and vocabulary of a foreign toddler and so much rambling.
  "Dammit."  I huff as I throw down my pen.
  Not so gently, I rest my head on the wooden desk and sigh in frustration. Before I know it, my shoulders begin shaking and my eyes clench shut as sobs run through my body, the overwhelming stress, and pressure enforced by my teacher hitting me all at once.
  I don't know how long I stay there for, nor do I care enough to know the exact amount of time I waste crying useless tears, I can only measure the time by the size of the puddle my tears create.
  However, that would require some serious math and I really just don't want to think right now.
  in a deep breath, I wipe the tracks from my cheeks and reach for my pastel blue drink bottle, my only sustenance for the past few hours.
  As I lift it to my lips, I notice it's colder than normal and lighter. Of course, it was empty.   "Great, just great. This is fan-ing-tastic." I huff as I slowly make my way out of my room, unwilling to use the water from my bathrooms tap as it tasted funny. Cautiously, I make my way down the stairs, peeking around every corner to make sure I don't run into any of my Warriors.
  Thankfully, they all seem to be out the back training or off doing their own thing and I won't have to explain why I have fresh tear tracks running down both cheeks or why I have been mentally breaking down for the past who knows how long.
  Reaching the kitchen with no encounters, I fill my bottle quickly, adding ice so I'll have a little more water than normal and could stay focusing on my report for longer. As I pass the microwave, I spot a plate of pancakes resting on a plate inside it, obviously, this was the breakfast I never ate and didn't currently have time to eat.
  Sipping shortly, I make my way back up the stairs, ducking back around a corner as I almost run into Lay on the second floor.
  Once back in the safety of my room, I make a beeline to my desk and set my mind straight on organizing the papers scattered in front of me, notes and report, if I can organize them then I can rewrite my report and finally be done. Only fifteen minutes later, I have two distinct piles of paper, one in each corner of the desk, that I can work from, a pad of blank paper directly in front of me and a set of identical black pens lined up on the side.   Taking another sip, I pick up the first pen and begin the long process of rewriting my report. In the top right corner, I print my name in perfect hangul, the topic of my report stretched across the top middle of the first line, a small one in the left-hand corner.
my lips in hopes of relieving their dryness, I rest my head on my hand and begin trying to decipher my first report, changing almost all of it as I fix my grammar and make my vocabulary more complex.
  The concept of time drifts from the forefront of my mind as I continue to write, one page, two pages, all the way up to seven pages where I finally put the last full stop at the end of my conclusion. Carefully slotting the pristine pages into a clear pocket, my name clearly printed on the top to hand into Daesung tomorrow morning at exactly nine.   More like exactly nine this morning, I realize as I turn to my balcony doors, the lilac curtains being pushed gently by the night breeze as the doors were left wide open, just as Kai had insisted what seemed like only a few hours ago.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter