Coffee with Tardy Psychics

Coffee with Tardy Psychics

Flicking the sleeve of his newly ironed shirt back, Jimin checks his watch for what felt like the fiftieth time that afternoon. The dull hum of coffee machines and chatter weaves in and out of his conscious thought like the threads of a weaving machine, only occasionally interrupted by the sharp clash of glass piercing him from his daze.

An hour late.

Honestly, Jimin knew it was too good to be true. Seokjin had gone on and on about this new dating agency opening locally and that it would be perfect for Jimin to find that special someone he so desperately needed. And, ignoring the clear mutter of "finally" the latter had thrown in under his breath, Jimin decided to give it a try.

An idea he is beginning to regret.

Jimin swirls a pattern into the spilt coffee with the gentle touch of his stirrer, a montage of curling lines and Jimin's name forming across the surface of the polished oak.

Peak hours had ended a while since. Twenty minutes of business co-workers and students rushing in and out during their lunch hour to grab a bite to eat and drink before rushing back out again. Honestly, Jimin thought his date would have turned up by then. The constant embarrassment of turning his head to the sound of the door chime ringing through the bar, meant he eventually gave up trying to look, deciding instead to pay the pool of hot chocolate on the table more attention than any potential dates. In substance, he thinks of it this way: he has tried, been on time and nearly caused himself whiplash from turning around so many times already, so it was now up to his date to find him. Easy, right?

And, it is. Just as Jimin pushes his chair back with his foot to order his third caffeinated drink of the hour, the familiar trill of the doorbell rings through the coffee bar.

"Is there a Jimin here?"

As if the pure mention of his voice acts as a gush of nitrogen, Jimin freezes mid-air, before slowly lowering himself back into the chair. A few heads turn in the direction of the door before turning to check the room for any suitors and Jimin's head automatically disobeys his own mind and follows in their actions too.

A man, of a similar age to Jimin, stands by the doorway. His head slowly sliding around the room to search for the man in question. His ebony hair is ruffled in every which direction from the wind outside and as Jimin's gaze travels further down the stranger's face, his breath immediately catches in his throat.

Wow.

His brain can’t focus while the other male throws him a grin as bright as the sun itself and, before Jimin can process what’s happening, the male is sliding through chairs and tables to meet his own.

Oh god, he looks even more attractive up close. Is that even possible?

"Jimin?"

"Yeah?"

"From the dating agency?"

A trill of shock runs down Jimin’s spine based on the other simply acknowledging his existence and his intentions in one. It’s obvious, really. But, it's funny how a person loses all logic after someone with a blinding smile stands over you to ask you questions, when you haven't even had the chance to catch your breath back yet.

He slowly nods his head, his face replicating the other's smile to the best of his ability as he watches the other take a massive sigh of relief.

"Thank god… and I’m so sorry I was late," The taller male rushes, "I'm Jungkook, by the way, your date for today."

Extending his hand out, not before wiping the palm against the thick fabric of his parka twice, Jungkook wraps his larger hand around Jimin's in a gentle shake. His other hand clutches a takeaway drink, closed off with a plastic top.

"You're not what I expected." The male continues, whilst rounding the table to sit in the sofa across from Jimin. He settles his shoulder bag under the table and his coffee cup on top, before shifting his chair closer.

"I was told I was going on a date with a girl this time." He finishes and this time it was Jimin's turn to laugh.

"You got more information than what I got then."

"Why?" A smirk, albeit sly, began to pull up at the corner of the man's lips, "Did you return the requirements back late?"

Jimin peeks down to his cup, giggles rising from his throat. The cream has long since melted into the drink, only leaving behind a white swirl of froth in the surface of the chocolate blend. He can hear Jungkook’s chuckle from across the table, but he dares look up in fear of further heart palpitations.

"Nice. I like knowing my date is a procrastinator and them knowing I’m terrible with timing first thing into the date. It sets up good support for the future."

"I'm surprised you found me out so early… And, you've already decided we're meeting up again then?" Finally allowing himself the chance to relax, Jimin settles back into his seat. He feels the soothing warmth of amusement build in the pit of his stomach and silently sighs in relief that his date is as comforting as he is. Warming up to strangers has never been Jimin’s forte.

"Well, what can I say? I have a sixth sense for these things."

Raising one eyebrow, Jimin deems his expression conveying enough distrust to continue taking a sip of his lukewarm drink. Then, turning his prying eyes back to his date, he releases a mock sigh between his tilted lips.

"Hand yours back late before?"

"Yup."

"Also, a procrastinator?"

"Totally." The two snicker.

Jimin’s body involuntarily leans back into his seat as he pushes a hand through his hair. Straight after, Jimin notices his date run his fingers through his own and is hit with the vague memory of an article about how people imitate their partner's actions if they’re interested in them. And, with Jungkook unconsciously copying his pose and hand gestures, Jimin desperately hopes it's true.

Gaining confidence, Jimin decides to put the theory to test, taking a sip from his drink and watching as Jungkook follows on. His mistake is realised too late however, as even across from the table, Jungkook’s latte decorated with a cream leaf designed into the surface, has puffs of still clearly scorching steam rising from the cup.

Immediately, Jungkook jumps back. The burning liquid had touched - or more like burnt - most of his taste buds, before Jimin could even utter a word. Jimin holds back a mutter of apologies along with his laughter. Failing with the latter, his body shook with supressed giggles beneath his hand.

"It's a shame your sixth sense doesn't work with anything else."

"Yeah," Jungkook slides his numb tongue back and forth as if fanning the air, before smiling back up at Jimin, "I think it only works with charming, attractive males."

"Funny." Jimin snorts, automatically reaching a tissue out to wipe the spilt liquid up off the polished wood. Somewhere in the background, Jimin hears a couple bickering on what to order and the occasional rustle of a student flicking through her textbook.

"Is that the line you use with all your dates?" He asks.

Jungkook stops for a moment, looking up at the ceiling and tapping his finger against his chin in mock thought. Then, coyly glancing back to Jimin with that ever-present smile, lets him in on the joke.

"Nope, yet again, I think that's only something reserved for the adorably attractive."

Jimin doesn't reply. Instead, a smile plays on his lips as he hums, a light sound barely reaching the other's ears through the bustle of the coffee bar, late afternoon.

Close, Jimin can see the frizzled tips of his date's fringe caused by the humid outside and the creased lines surrounding his mouth like even his skin is trying to hold on to the image of his smile. While the simple features could be considered unimportant, insignificant, Jimin was captivated, curious even, to know more about the man in front of him. A flutter of wings spread through his stomach at the thought of him being the one to deepen the other's laughter lines in the future. Or, was he getting too ahead of himself again?

Before Jimin's mind could spiral too far from the present, Jungkook speaks up.

"What are you thinking?" Jungkook’s head tilts to the side as he checks Jimin once over. "Have I put you off already?"

Jimin’s mind unhelpfully supplies him with ‘as if that would happen’, but Jimin stalls the statement on the tip of his tongue.

"The opposite, surprisingly. I guess I have a thing for tardy psychics."

Jungkook laughs and reaches into his bag. His head bobbing under the table momentarily, then rising back up again to reveal his hands now holding a pack of blueberry muffins.

"We'll get along great then!" He extends a muffin out to Jimin, and for the first time that night Jimin sees a sheepish look blanket Jungkook’s features, "This was to say sorry. Want one?"

It’s cute. He’s cute. Jimin’s suffering in the best way - accompanied by someone he doesn’t even think is fair to exist and a blueberry muffin in front of him.

So, just like that, their date went on. The background noise that acted like an acoustic on repeat began to slowly quieten down and the pair’s enthusiastic voices dulled to faint whispers, until all that is left is the occasional scraping of table legs as the staff begins to close for the day.

Grabbing his shoulder bag, Jungkook decides to leave along with Jimin and entwines his fingers through the other’s – just like he’s desperately been wanting to the entire night. The two exit into the loud city streets.

Hours have passed and along with it the sun has set the streets under a navy overlay of darkness. Store signs and car lights from passing drivers light up the street, as reminding Jimin of the time. Reluctantly letting go of Jungkook’s hand, he craves his warmth back already. He can smell street food near, but the scent of coffee that has clung onto Jimin and Jungkook’s skin is enough to stain the two with the stench of caffeine for days.

Jimin turns Jungkook’s way, a smile on his lips but his head tilted down.

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Lee Jimin." Jungkook speaks up first, breaking the drone of taxi engines and takeaway ventilators. Yet, it wasn’t that which tore Jimin’s gaze from the ground to stare straight into Jungkook’s questioning eyes. The words that had just come out of Jungkook’s mouth knocking him with confusion.

"Lee Jimin?" He questions.

"Yeah?"

Watching Jungkook’s eyes widen much like Jimin’s had done seconds before, Jimin’s mind stands seconds ahead. Jimin’s body lurches with his laughter and he his hands grip around his waist to calm the happy ache that’s beginning to form from hours of entertainment. Warming up to people quickly might not be Jimin’s forte, but he was a winner at grasping situations straight away.

"No, Lee Jimin here. I'm Park Jimin." He gasps between breaths.

Jungkook’s frozen stature breaks for a moment as he shambles through his bag. He pulls out a few sheets of paper, each one printed with a series of information and a dating agency logo in the top, left-hand corner. Cracking up again, Jimin notices Jungkook isn’t even with the same dating agency.

Jungkook persists on, brain ticking slowly in doubt of their mistakes. At one point, Jungkook’s head flicks up to look at Jimin to then return to the sheets as if checking Jimin exists in the first place.

"It says here," Finally the realisation dawns upon Jungkook’s face and this time his gaze stays on Jimin, “...Oh. We've met the wrong date, haven't we?"

Jimin simply nods, suppressing his cackles for Jungkook’s sake. Soon enough, however, Jungkook began laughing too.

“I thought I had it bad with waiting for an hour, this poor girl might have been waiting for you all night.”

“Nah, you were the only one to respond when I ran in like a psycho calling your name,“ Jungkook grinned, “It looks like I was stood up anyway.”

Jimin held back the mutter of ‘lucky me’, instead jabbing the dig of ‘idiot’ under his breath with a slap of Jungkook’s shoulder.

"Let's try this all again." The taller continues and Jimin follows, starting from introducing himself. Deja vu screeches through his mind as he outstretches his hand to shake the other's, only this time Jungkook’s hand holds his mobile.

"Hi, I'm Park Jimin. Nice to meet you." He introduces, head rushing with the exhilaration of meeting Jungkook’s hands again.

"Hi, I'm Jeon Jungkook and I would love to take you out again sometime."

Jimin immediately starts to type his number into the device. And, with a smile never leaving his lips, he leans forward to press his lips against Jungkook’s in a sweet peck, sliding his phone back into the latter’s limp grasp.

"I would love that." Observing Jungkook’s high cheekbones, wide eyes and amazing smile one last time, Jimin spins on his shoes to walk away, "Just make sure you're actually going on a date with me this time. I don’t want to come next time to see you sitting with a girl named Lee Jimin, okay?"

Behind him, the melodious chuckle of Jungkook’s carries in the breeze, and Jimin makes a mental reminder to buy Seokjin all the food he wants when he gets home.