Chapter 24 One With The Furries

Our Surrogate Omega
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taecyeon

We all slept in the next morning, even me. It was Saturday, so none of us had plans, which was nice. I was on reserve for the next two weeks, and if the baby wasn't here by then, I'd have to reevaluate my schedule. I was holding off on scheduling actual vacation time until the baby arrived. I didn't want to miss a single second of our baby boy's first days.

I had woken briefly a few times throughout the night when Ewon had gotten up to use the bathroom, but he was absolutely passed out now. I peeked into Sica's room on my way downstairs, and she was the same, one leg thrown up against the wall, her arms pulling stuffed animals close to her sides on either side of her, her hair tangled like a nest. It was perfect.

Even though I had slept in, it was still only eight in the morning, so I was not expecting the knock on the door in the midst of making my morning coffee.

I was even more shocked when my father stood on the other side of the door.

Should I open the door or not? I'd sent him an email explaining what had happened with Mother, but he'd never responded. If he was here as her flying monkey... With a sigh, I unbolted the door, though I left the chain latched.

Before I could open my mouth, Dad said "I've left your mother, Taecyeon."

I blinked several time and then closed the door so I could slide the chain out and let him in.

Did this mean Mother had finally gone too far? Obviously, she had for me, but Dad had always backed her up, even if it was just a grunt and a 'Listen to your mother, Taecyeon.'

"Coffee?" I asked. I was gratefull everyone was asleep upstairs in case this went sideways. As Dad followed me into the kitchen, I realized I should have asked him to go out somewhere with me, but my brain didn't fully ignite until after the third cup of coffee.

"Please."

I set the cream on the table for him while I finished prepping the French press. He shifted awkwardly from foot to foot. I'd never seen my father uncertain...ever.

"You can sit."

After a moment of hesitation, he did.

I set the press on the table between us and handed him an empty mug.

Neither of us spoke, but someone was going to wake up sooner or later, and if this was going to turn unpleasant, I wanted to get it over before then. But Dad had left Mother. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but it was too late.

"I'll be honest with you, Dad. I'm pretty shocked."

Dad grimanced "You probably have a pretty low opinion of me for not standing up to your mother sooner, don't you?"

"What?" of all the things he could have said, that was something I hadn't anticipated at all.

"I can't say I blame you. I have a pretty low opinion of myself."

I couldn't find the words to respond. My father had always been one of the most confident, strongest, most determined men I'd ever known. When he wanted something, he went after it. It wasn't stretching the truth at all to say they were well-off. In fact, that was probably an understatement. His confidence and top-alpha attitude had done well for him. To hear him insinuate he'd considered leaving my mother earlier, and hadn't...? The foundation on which I'd built my understanding of him was shaking. 

Sure, he'd always deferred to her when it came to social events and raising me, but I had thought that was by choice.

"You're going to have to back up a few steps, Dad. Or maybe start with: why now?"

My timer went off and I purred the coffee.

Dad stirred cream in "You mother was wrong. She's been wrong a lot in her life, but you were right in your email, this time she went too far. I don't pretend to know how your relationship with Nichkhun and Ewon works, but you've always been one to go your own way. I always knew you didn't have an interest in omegas, but your mother was determined to fit you into her idea of the perfect son. I should have stood up to her then. Nichkhun's always been good for you, and if you say this Ewon is good for you both? I believe you. I've always admired how you haven't cared what other people think. You just do what makes you happy."

I had thought that was some of the reasons I admired Dad, too "Are you...not...happy?"

Dad sighed, his firm shoulder drawing more firm "I haven't been happy for a long time." he admitted.

"Then...why?"

"Why did I stay with you mother?" Dad took a sip "Fear."

"What in the world did you have to be afraid of?" I mean sure Mother came from a very wealthy family but she was still an omega, even if her attitude was way too proud and self centered, and she had not a single omega trait nor quality in her bone, it is also one of the major reasons why I never had an interest in female omegas and later omegas in general, but Dad's wealth wasn't any inferior to hers, in fact he was slightly wealthier and he holds a strong position in sociaty. An alpha male afraid of an omega female sounded kinda stupid.

"Losing you." Dad's eyes met mine briefly before returning to his mug "When you were about three, I had...an indiscretion." Dad's back straightened "No, that was what your mother called. I was in love. I'd met Irene at the club. She was a young lawyer, with a spice for life and an intensity. Smart as a whip, didn't go in for all those social games. She just said it like it was and dared you to contradict her. When I went to tell you mother I was leaving her, she threatened to take you. I didn't believe her at first. But she laid out proof of my affair with Irene. Email. Phone records. Texts. She'd known the entire time. It apparently didn't bother her as long as I kept it discreet, kept her perfect-picture image intact. I still didn't believe her. But when I consulted with a divorce lawyer, they told me how hard it would be to get even joint custody of you. it wasn't impossible, but it would be a lot of time in court, it would be ugly, and you'd be pulled into the middle of it. And even after a long fight, there was still a chance I'd have limited access to you. As much as I loved Irene, I couldn't risk that."

I felt as if my world had been its side. I'd always known my father loved me, but I hand't really thought he cared much "Is that...is that why you didn't stand up to her?"

Dad nodded "Every time I tried, she threatened me with the evidence again. I should have stood up to her then. There was no way she would have let that out and risked ruining her image. I realize that now. After a few years, it just became habit. It was my default to let her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter