happy birthday

Bloom in the Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

warnings: language and implications of violence. 

"happy birthday"

“Happy twenty-third birthday, rookie,” Kai flits eyes to the side and he sees the creator of the dreaded nickname approaching him. Chanyeol, aka closest person Kai can label as a friend than a comrade.

A little fazed that the guy remembers, Kai makes a face.

Ever since he was young, the world is already a damned place in his eyes and he, along with it by at his new age of twenty-three. And it all started the day his drunkard of a father died—the precise date being on his birthday a year ago.

It was kind of ed up how Fate wanted to congratulate his twenty-second year of existence. It was but a reminder of how bleak his life was, though it didn’t really get worse until salvation came in the most twisted of forms. Loan sharks, like the predator they depicted, barged through his door one day, demanding a sum he had no idea he owed.

That’s when it all made sense; the mysterious flow of money that supported his father’s gambling on top his drinking—his death that followed. He never got to pay them back, did he?

He remembers the bud of hatred that bloomed inside him then, still present even today. It was funny because even in death, the man was screwing him over.

Perhaps that’s what made him join them. His youth had already been stolen, and getting propelled into a world much crueller than the one he was in before didn’t seem as scary. It’s just ironic. Instead of revenge, it landed him among the ranks of his father’s murderers.

“Thanks,” he mumbles as the lanky guy slide beside him against the wall. He hears a few flickers of a lighter until a soft cuss follows. It’s enough for him to search his pockets.

“You should really get a new one soon,” Kai reprimands, offering his lighter to his companion who accepts it with a grin. The first puff ends with a satisfied sigh.

“Yeah, soon,” Chanyeol says as per their routine. Kai knows by now, he won’t.

They stand side by side, watching the sunset, orange bleeding through cracks and crevices of the alleyway. A comforting silence envelops them.

“Heard what happened,” Chanyeol says sometime later, the sky darkening around them. “You protected Suho from an attack. Everyone’s talking about it. Think you’ll get promoted?”

At the memory, his bandaged hand stings and he winces. He’s not particularly proud of nearly getting his face slashed during one of their transactions today. It’s the most violent encounter he had since he joined.

He barely remembers how it went down, the sound of cocking guns and shouting meshing together in his head. All he recalls was the rush when he took the knife out, the cry that came after. There was also a spray of blood, warm on his chin and heavy on his lashes.

What did he cut again? Oh, yeah. A pale throat, pulsing with life.

Until he ended it.

“I don’t know,” he declares. “Is that a good thing?”

“Uh, yeah?” Chanyeol sounds incredulous. “More benefits, but most importantly the trust of our superiors. So basically you’re already on the right track, buddy.”

The other male is enthusiastic as usual as he congratulates him but Kai doesn’t feel any of it. Yes, he’s new and perhaps that’s why he still did not care for these so-called benefits and rewards. Honestly, Kai is rather repelled by the dirty work he got himself into but it was either this or the streets.

“I don’t really care for it,” he says, looking up at the stars twinkling back at him. It’s a sole reminder that he’s still living on the same earth, just now in a different way of life.

“When do you ever?” Chanyeol replies after another drag. He drops the cigarette after and runs it under a heel. “You should consider it though. I heard Suho plans to reward you.”

He hums in thought. What could it be? Money? Drugs? Maybe a new blade since the stunt he pulled today? Whatever it is, he’s ready to decline it unless it’s an envelope wadded with cash. Kai plans to save just enough before eventually walking away from all this—if he ever gets the chance, that is.

When he and Chanyeol return inside Limbo, the maze of a warehouse where the most of the operation is run in, they gain attention upon entry.  It is mostly for Kai because of his recent feat.

“Did you get hurt?” It’s Mark, a male younger than him by a year or two despite being here longer. Kai lifts his hand to show his bandaged hand and gasps resound. “Wow, so you really did jump in front of Hyungnim like they said!”

He wrinkles his nose at the exaggeration. “I didn’t really jump,” but no one hears him.

“Jesus,” Kai breathes as they finally reach a secluded hallway. “I don’t get the deal. I just did what anyone would’ve done.”

Chanyeol also pants a little in exertion before shooting Kai an amused look.

“Well,” he starts. “No year-old rookie would’ve reacted as fast and the way you did it…it doesn’t take much to carry a weapon, but to actually use it…”

Kai takes this in silently because he knows he was able to fire a gun swiftly by his third month. Not to say, he did it in a blink of an eye, but his lack of emotion is a little unnerving. Every day, he feels as though he’s losing grip on what he feels and he doesn’t like it.

Confident strides resonate down the hall, echoing a sense of purpose that it catches their attention. They turn to find the very man Kai has so graciously saved approaching them followed by two guards.

“Kai, I’ve been looking for you,” Suho greets.

His voice is as steady as earlier when he ordered the rest of the men to discard the ‘filth’ that tried to attack him. Looking up, Kai also finds the same expression on him when he shot the dead body five more times after. Calm and collected. The man is deceptively frightening.

Kai forces disgust down his throat. “Yes, hyungnim?”

“Because of what you did today, I want to reward you. What do you say?”

Kai forgets who is asking him at the moment and blurts, “it depends on what it is.” It is Chanyeol’s sharp nudge to the rib that drags him back to reality and he quietly adds, “if you don’t mind me asking.”

Suho seems to be in a good mood as he overlooks his mistake and smiles. Then again, if it weren’t for Kai, he wouldn’t be standing here now.

“Boss plans to dine in his favourite restaurant tonight and I wanted to take you with us. He wants to meet my saviour after all. So what do you say?” His eyes flicker over to Chanyeol as if noticing him for the first time. “Oh, and you can bring your friend with you.”

Kai decides not to dwell and it is his birthday. When he agrees, Suho is satisfied with his answer and leaves with his men as swiftly they came. Once he is out of earshot, Chanyeol breaks into a whoop and hugs him.

“Wah, I can’t believe you’re taking me with you!” he exclaims and Kai realises he had forgotten the final part of Suho’s offer. Well, Chanyeol’s just lucky he doesn’t care.

 

❀❀❀

 

Kai hadn’t known what to expect, but sitting here now, with Suho by his side and Chanyeol on the other, he feels detached to the clinks and clangs of the dishes being passed around. All the higher-ups are here and he recognises a few from different operations. They all look pretty chummy with each other but Kai reminds himself; this is a table full of dangerous people.

Dinner continues, with the occasional bark of laughter and boisterous story-telling that he could hear from where he sat. Across him, he sees Chanyeol stuffing his face, eyes wide as he leans in to hear a nearby conversation. He practically has stars in his eyes that it almost looks comical.  

For Kai, it’s all pretty dull until a voice slices through the chatter, inaudible yet almost effortless.  

“So.” Everyone hushes instantly. “Where’s Suho’s saviour?”

Kai quickly swallows the food in his mouth. He clears his throat. “Over here, Boss.”

The eyes that find him are like cool, black stones. It places his heart in his throat. Assessing and quiet, it’s a lot more passive than Kai expects from the man who controlled everything. The man lifts his glass of wine to his lips.

“What's your name?” he asks and Kai could feel the underlining authority he emits.

“Kai, sir.”

“And you’re new, I hear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“How long now?”

“About a year, sir.”

“I see.”

The man takes a long and grateful sip and Kai knows, every single pair of eyes is watching along with him. His charisma is unquestionable.

“Your bravado is impressive,” he says after. “Something we haven’t seen in a while for someone so young. I like it.” He gathers murmurs of approval from the others until he speaks again. “In fact, I’d like to make an example out of you and promote you as one of Suho’s bodyguards.” Gasps echoes around the room. Chanyeol’s the loudest. “Will you accept?”

Even Suho looks stunned as he turns to him, and a part of him flusters at the attention. Kai doesn’t like it—their eyes, the proposal but accepts because really, is he even allowed to refuse?

“Good answer,” The man says as he puts his glass down. “And since we’ll see each other more often, I’d like to personally introduce myself to you. To outsiders, I go by G-Dragon. In here, it’s Jiyong if not Boss. I don’t mind whichever you choose.”

Kai feigns an exaggera

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter