The Queen's Garden

The Queen's Garden

Summary:

The king orders Chanyeol, the best soldier in the palace to keep guard over his eldest daughter (y/n) when she requests to leave and explore outside the palace walls before she is expected to settle down into a political marriage. Crowned prince and Chanyeol’s best friend Baek had also requested Chanyeol to look after his sister a request that he could not refuse. Chanyeol is chosen because he is loyal to the throne and has gained the trust of the royal family.

Character list:

Park Chanyeol – Skilled soldier, hardworking and determined, best friends with crowned prince and most trustworthy royal guard to the king.

Reader (y/n) – First princess and eldest child of the king, never leaves the palace walls and closed off from the interacting with the people because of royalty. Burdened with taking care of the king and her younger brother after the passing of the Queen, however does not mind. Target of kidnapping and manipulation by neighbouring nations bachelors for political and power gains.

Crowned Prince – Assertive, playful and intelligent. Well loved by the people, a flirt and best friend to Chanyeol since childhood, has already requested Chanyeol to be his closest advisor when he takes the throne. Protective younger brother towards his older sister (1 year difference).

King – Strong and stern with politics and war however, kind to his people and cares for his family deeply. Close friend to Chanyeol’s late father and trusts him with his life.

Queen – Has passed away, but will be mentioned in a few flashback scenes. The embodiment of elegance and grace and mother of the nation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Please, I wish to leave the palace, I want to see the village and interact with the people’ you plead with the King during breakfast. ‘No, I cannot allow you to leave there are too many enemies out there, I will not lose you too’ the King argues back. You have no choice but to obey this order, you feel like all hope is lost and that your father will never let you leave or be your own person, it’s suffocating. ‘I think she deserves to leave the palace once in a while if she wants to’ Yes, it was your brother Crowned prince Baek to the rescue, if anyone would persuade the king it would be him. ‘Baek, you know more than anyone why that cannot happen’, the king snaps back. ‘Yes, but what if Chanyeol looks after her’ Chanyeol? As in from the royal guard and Baeks best friend? No. he seems way too uptight I wouldn’t be able to do anything. ‘Fine’ the King pauses for a moment ‘if Chanyeol is her guard I will not object’. Shocked that the king actually agreed to this you nod your head enthusiastically and finish the little food that’s left on your plate as your brother winks at you as he takes a sip of his tea. SUCCESS!

You didn’t mind staying at the palace, entertaining your younger siblings, reading up on medicinal herbs and the human body, tending to the gardens or just having light conversation with the palace maids however, as you got older and started to approach the age to wed you realized that there was so much more you wanted to see and experience.

The next morning you hear a knock on your door, you open it to find a very tall figure standing in front of you, wearing navy blue with subtle red detailed prints on his clothes, large ears that was a pale pink and doe like eyes there was no mistaking him, this was second in command of the royal guard Park Chanyeol. You never realized how handsome he was up close before. ‘Goodmorning Princess (y/n), anywhere you would like to go today? I guess I’m going to be your guide for a while’ wow. You did not expect such a deep voice, you hadn’t really heard him speak directly to you before, it was almost scary yet the words coming out of his mouth and the accompanied smile were somehow reassuring.

‘Outside the palace’ your words sounded more like a suggestion than an actual statement, why are you suddenly so nervous. ‘Yes, where outside would you like to go first?’ His smile was still on his face, was he always this easy going and pleasant? ‘I don’t know, I just want to see everything’ you sounded a little frustrated and excited this time around and Chanyeol just replies with ‘The market seems like a good idea’ you nod your head timidly trying you prevent your cheeks from turning red and off you both go.

 

You would never forget that feeling, the first time you left the palace walls, you took the biggest breath you could muster taking in all the aromas the new environment had to offer. Everyone was dressed unlike anything you were used to, plain clothes, loosely fitted with dull colours like grey and brown, you simply loved it. This was what you wanted, it might have seemed so trivial to your guard watching you suddenly burst into laughter as you entered the market place with numerous tiny stalls lined up across the street but you didn’t care, this is your first time and it’s already better than what you expected.

The following weeks you and Chanyeol had explored all over the village, meeting the people, playing games, going to festivals, watching playful brawls on the streets that Chanyeol always insisted he would win if he joined, and the food, it was extraordinary for you yet so ordinary for others. Of course Chanyeol also insisted on taste testing everything you wanted to eat first for ‘safety’ reasons. You had the most fun you’ve had in years. ‘I wish Baek could see all this too’ you mumbled to yourself while sitting under the shade of a nearby tree watching the villagers go about their everyday lives. ‘He has’ a familiar deep voice sitting next to you mumbles back. That’s right, you had almost forgot that Chanyeol had been best friends with your brother since childhood, always getting in trouble for escaping the guards and sneaking out of the palace. Maybe that’s why you feel so comfortable when Chanyeol is around.

‘I want to try that’ you almost yell when your eyes land on the delicious looking soup in front of you. ‘Sure, I have to taste it first don’t forget’ Chanyeol teasingly says while purchasing the hot soup for you. He takes the first sip, ‘and?’ you ask eagerly ready to try it next, but something stops you, it’s the agonising look on Chanyeol’s face. ‘IS IT REALLY POISONED?’ you shout, looking left and right to trying to signal for help while also panicking to find herbs in your bag that might prevent poisoning that you read about ‘No’ a choked voice says ‘it’s just really really spicy’ you lose all form of etiquette as your mouth automatically drops open ‘I thought you had gotten poisoned!’ ‘I’m sorry I just can’t handle spicy food’ Chanyeol replies, voice still shaky and eyes glassy. You hand him your handkerchief and head to the next stall still in shock that the strongest soldiers in the kingdom could have such a weakness. The next stall has beautiful ornamental plates and vases as well as an array of jewellery, a necklace with a pink Wheeldon catches your eye and it’s beautiful. Pink Wheeldons happen to be your favourite flower and is present all over the palace gardens. Unfortunately, it is getting dark and Chanyeol tells you it’s time to head back to the palace before you can get it. Three days pass before you can make your way back into the village for the flower pendant but to your dismay it is no longer there. You try to cheer up by telling yourself that you have hundreds of them in the Queens garden, the real thing is better although disappointment still ensues whilst under a willow tree in the very garden with all the pink blossoms. A shadow is cast over you and as you look up you find Chanyeol, already making his way to sit down next to you. You are taken by surprise, you aren’t out of the palace so Chanyeol doesn’t have to guard you, so why is he here sitting next to you in your favourite spot. ‘Chanyeol?’ ‘This place is the best isn’t it? Always so peaceful and beautiful, it hasn’t changed one bit’ That’s right, when your mother was alive everyone from the palace always came down to the gardens in spring to see all the beautiful flowers, the pinks and whites of the prized wheeldons and magnolias were a spectacular sight as well as the beautiful koi ponds scattered around with bright red bridges looming over them. Now it was always just you admiring them, it must have been painful for the others to come back here, but for you it was a sanctuary with the best memories of your mother. ‘I’m sorry, did you want to be alone’ the man that you almost forgot was there says in a low tone. ‘No, you can stay’ you say with a smile, and you meant it, you could use the company. Chanyeol and you talk about the upcoming festivals, firework displays and more of the stalls you should visit, you confess to him about the necklace and he apologises for your loss in the most dramatic way possible, you can’t help but laugh. He always makes you laugh.

A month passes and you and Chanyeol have gotten really close, not only outside the palace but inside too, you both often spend time together, watching the koi fish, listening to the birds, walking through the gardens, he has even taken to singing his favourite songs while he leaves you back to your rooms, something that Baek says he’s only had the privilege of hearing a handful of times. ‘Do you have anyone you like Chanyeol?’ you ask one day while sitting under the shade of a large Willow tree in the garden. You were just curious about the person you spent so much time with. ‘I am married’ he replied, it was short and blunt and something you were not expecting. He was handsome, strong and respected by many of course he would already be taken.

‘I train a lot! Mostly in the mornings or evenings’ Chanyeol says while sipping his tea as to flex his right arm as he grins into his cup, you can’t help but love that he is such an obvious show off at times. ‘Your brother won’t be able to best me in combat, although when it comes to studies I guess no one would rival him’ and he was right, Baek was the fastest learner you knew and was the king’s secret weapon when it came to tactical defence. If Chanyeol was the sword Baek would be the shield, he would make sure everything is planned and calculated so that his sword is protected. That is why he was so trusted and loved, he never left anything up to chance when it came to the lives of his people. Chanyeol always praised your brother and you always found yourself being somewhat jealous of their friendship and wished you had something like that too. Chanyeol was always so positive and bright when he spoke about the things he liked, a side of him that is often overlooked when he is portrayed as the strongest soldier your kingdom has to offer accompanied by his towering height and deep voice.

When you first met Chanyeol he seemed so serious and stern, reporting back to your father and relaying orders to the royal guard, his presence was so commanding and overwhelming. Yet, whenever he was with you, joking about all the enemies he singlehandedly defeated or all the musical instruments he learnt or with your bother on their casual sport outings he was always pleasant. No. he was bright, so bright that if you looked for too long you too will start feeling instantly good, he had that aura about him.

One night you are suddenly jolted awake by a loud voice ‘Princess? You home?’ startled you get out of bed, it’s so late at night who could it be ‘the princess is sleeping you can’t’ you hear your palace maids say to the intruder but suddenly they are silenced. Your door opens and there a completely red faced Chanyeol strides inside alongside no other than Baek equally red and cheery, a typical happy drunk. ‘What are you two doing here?’ ‘Let us in (y/n)!’ Baek screams before quickly realizing he is already inside the room. Chanyeol has a hand around Baeks shoulder supporting himself on the shorter. ‘We are leaving tomorrow morning for 10 days, it is an important quest’ he pauses ‘quest?’ Baek questions ‘Yes quest’ Chanyeol continues ‘I won’t be seeing you for 9 nights, so I came to say goodbye’ Chanyeols ears suddenly turned a dark shade of red as if he wanted to say more but Baek had already started dragging him out the room ‘That’s enough Channie, let my sister sleep now’ Baek hiccups as they both leave the room as swiftly as they arrived. That night you couldn’t help but smile thinking about how cute Chanyeol had looked all flustered and… ‘Channie?’

You didn’t expect 10 days of not seeing your guard to be this difficult. Why could you not stop thinking about him or what he was doing, if he was okay? What were they both doing anyway going off for some mission when your birthday was in two days, Baek never misses it, it must have been something important. Countless thoughts of what it could have been just left you with the worst headache. Slowly your thoughts had turned against you and you had the time alone to think of Chanyeol more clearly. He was married, for the time you spent together you could always just avoid and deny that fact but now that you were alone the realization of Chanyeol being with someone else hurt. She was not just someone, she was his wife, were they childhood friends? Was it an arranged marriage? Were they friends who turned into lovers? A dreadful feeling warped over your entire body, swirling up in your stomach and painfully strumming your heart. Did he kiss her goodbye? Does he get flustered when he sees her? Do they also sit under trees and admire flowers or go to markets, how many times has he sang for her? Does he wish he was sitting with her instead of you? Does he miss her? Does he miss you? That night you had the worst sleep.

Ten days had passed by painfully long, your birthday came and went like any other, breakfast with the King, a huge party with tons of food and gifts from your family and palace friends yet you still felt a sense of loneliness, you thought this birthday would be different but it was just the same minus Baeks birthday pranks.

You were in the garden as usual, sitting under the shade of your favourite tree and wondering if Chanyeol and Baek had returned yet when suddenly two hands covered your eyes, it startled you at first but slowly that subsided into slight disappointed when you realized it was undeniably your brothers hands instead of the certain someone you were hoping for. ‘Baek! I know it’s your hands!’ Baeks head pops up from behind you with a child-like grin ‘I can’t believe you missed my birthday, did you forget?’ you growled at him although your words carried no bite. ‘I would never!’ and out of nowhere a blue box is handed to you. Inside the box was the most beautiful pink silk gown with gold flower patterns all around, it was breath-taking and also extremely luxurious as is all your brother’s gifts. You thanked him and he was on his way back to the library adding the books he bought on his journey to his collection. Chanyeol was nowhere to be found that day and you had given up hope of seeing him today, you had foolishly spent half the day in the garden hoping that he would have at least come to see you. You enter your room, and you think your eyes deceive you from sitting in the scorching sun all day but they don’t, there he was, hair longer than usual, Park Chanyeol. ‘Chanyeol’ you call out ‘It’s General Park Chanyeol’ he says back with an enormous smile on his face, one that you missed dearly. You knew it had to be something important for both of them to just leave for 10 days so suddenly. ‘I got promoted 11 days ago, Baek got us drinks to celebrate and’ his hand reaching to rub the back of his neck sheepishly ‘I guess I got a little carried away’ he continues ‘We had to let the troops at the boarder know and leave a few commands for them, I wanted to tell you the news as soon as I got here but the King wanted to discuss some things with me’ you’ve missed him so much but here you are silent, just letting him speak it’s not like you could just confess your feelings to a married man, but you do speak. ‘I’m so proud of you, you deserve it’ a smile spreads across your face, it wasn’t exactly what you wanted to tell him but it was the truth, Chanyeol had wanted this for a long time and he had worked day and night for it. You were happy that he achieved something he has been dreaming about. He starts to smile as well and looks at his feet ‘I know it’s late but I wanted to give you something’ Chanyeol starts to walk towards you, and hands you a little golden box. ‘Chanyeol what is this?’ you asked quiet surprised that he even thought of bringing you back something. He leans in closer to you barely an inch away from your ear and whispers in his signature low deep voice ‘Happy birthday, Princess’. You stand frozen even moments after he had already left your room. ‘He remembered’ you whisper to yourself before looking down at the box in your hand. When you open it, you are filled with an emotion you had never felt before, this warm feeling within your ribcage that soon makes its way to your cheeks. It’s the flower necklace you had seen at the market all those weeks ago, he was the one who had bought it.

It was finally here, the festival you have been waiting months for and Chanyeol promised he would take you, you have heard all about how beautiful the firework display would be and you were finally going to see it. ‘You will not be leaving the palace for the next two days (y/n)’ the king instructs while reading some documents sent to him. Devastated and confused you can’t even mouth a respectable reply ‘why not your majesty?’ Chanyeol speaks for you. ‘I’m sorry general Park but even with your expertise I cannot have (y/n) leaving these palace walls, you already know of the rogue ninjas spotted on the country side, until they are dealt with I will not risk her going outside, if that is all please leave’. Both you and Chanyeol silently head back to your quarters, you feel hurt and betrayed. You have waited so long for this night, why did this have to happen now. ‘I’m sorry’ Chanyeol mutters ‘Maybe we could go next year’ but that wasn’t good enough, you didn’t want to go next year you wanted to go this year, with Chanyeol, you don’t know how much longer you could spend with him, he was general now he couldn’t babysit you forever. ‘I want to go tonight, I want you to take me’ you say completely composed. ‘You want me to go against my King, you know I can’t do that (y/n)’ ‘you promised’. Chanyeols eyes widen and then his eyebrows start to crease ‘I guess I have no choice’ his words were soft and forced, you could tell he didn’t want to go against his King, he was loyal to the throne and that’s why he was so trusted. That night when he came to fetch you from your room, he had a worried look on his face, you felt the guilt rise up inside of you but you kept it at bay and tip toed behind him and out of the palace walls.

The festival was magical, it was more than what you ever imagined it to be, the colourful decorations, the delicious food, the music and the fireworks were all like a dream. ‘Are you having fun?’ Chanyeol asked looking down at you with a smile and expression much like his usual self ‘I am’ you smiled back at him ‘I am too’ he whispered as he looked back up into the dark sky being lit with all sorts of colours and shapes slowly brushing his hand against yours, a gesture that made your heart skip a beat.

After the last of the fireworks disappeared into the dark night sky, it was time to head back to the palace, mixed feelings of wanting to stay just a little longer with Chanyeol still lingered in your thoughts on the way back. Suddenly out of the shadows of the surrounding trees, a man dressed in all black with his face covered with black cloth grabs your hand. The aggressive tug almost trips you over however, Chanyeols familiar hand is already holding on to your other and pulls you towards him, unsheathing his sword in one swift movement. The masked man lets go of your hand and reveals two daggers from either side of his black pants. Four more men rush to surround you both and all you can do is hold on to Chanyeol, regretting why you ever convinced him to come out with you. Chanyeol sees the worry in your eyes and feels your hitched breath through his shirt ‘don’t worry Princess, your general will take care of this’ you look up at him only to find a hint of a smirk on his face as he looks down at you.

The fight lasted what seemed like a lifetime, the clashing of swords and the shouts of the enemy is all you heard before Chanyeol put his hand on your shoulder, you looked up to see all five men on the ground, wide eyed you suddenly focus on Chanyeol wearing a proud smile despite the glistening of sweat on his forehead under the moonlit sky and his deep breaths. Your eyes rush to inspect him only to find two deep slashes on his chest and torso soaking his blue and white clothes with a dark shade of red. Having medical knowledge you knew that these wounds needed to be treated immediately ‘let’s hurry back Chanyeol’, he is out of breath so just replies with a quick nod. When you both enter the palace you head straight for your rooms however, Chanyeol just pauses no longer following behind you. ‘What’s wrong? Please hurry, you’ve lost too much blood already’ ‘no’ he whispers, almost as if someone is listening to the conversation, but you already knew why he paused, a Princess tending to a guard is unheard of regardless of who he is. ‘Chanyeol, this isn’t the time…’ ‘no (y/n), I  will have a doctor look at me I’ve put you in enough danger for one night’ the words cut you like knives, you were the one who insisted on going out, you are the one who they were after, you were the one that got Chanyeol injured, so why…why was he taking the blame. There’s so much you want to say to him but there’s no time, you just walk up to him and hold his red stained sleeve, blood coating your fingertips ‘you can’t go to the doctor, you weren’t supposed to be out in the first place, the king will find out about the ambush and you will be severely punished for disobeying orders Chanyeol and we will never see each other again’. Your words were brief but he understood there was no other option and slowly took a step forward. Still holding on to his sleeve you pulled him along into your room and made two of your hand maids stand watch outside.

You both just look at each other for a while not knowing where to go from there but your instincts take over when you see Chanyeol’s eyelids get heavy, you need to stop the bleeding, you rush over to a drawer at the corner of your room and pull out a box with medical herbs and supplies, without thinking you undress him leaving his upper body exposed. His body was beautiful, toned and muscular just like how he used to joke about with various little scars scattered all around his torso, evidence of all his hours of training and combat. You start to apply the cold ointment to close his wounds, Chanyeol winces at the sharp sting, you begin to slowly bandage his chest, torso and the little scratch below his collar bone, you are slow and careful wanting to make sure everything is fine. You suddenly feel a hand brush over your cheek and look up to find Chanyeol intensely staring directly at you, he pushes back the few strands of hair that has fell on your face behind your ear, holding his hand in place and cupping your cheek. Although no words were exchanged, it was in that silent moment that you realized that you were completely and wholeheartedly in love with Park Chanyeol and maybe, just maybe he felt the same. 

A voice of one of the maids interrupt your thoughts and you both hear her greeting the king loudly enough for you to hear in time, Chanyeol jumps up and rushes behind the drapes while you hurry to put away your medicine box an neaten your clothes to conceal the slightest trace that you were not alone. The king enters and you greet him with a small bow, he looks much thinner than usual and you wonder if he has been taking care of his health while you are not around. ‘Father what brings you here this part of the night’ ‘Can I not come to visit my beautiful daughter once in a while’ he continues before you can mouth a reply ‘I have come with some news, although I know that you are probably still upset about tonight but one day when you have children of your own you will understand it is the duty of a parent to protect’ guilt has taken over your expression but luckily the king has not noticed ‘yes, I understand. What news?’ ‘Another royal family is coming to the palace in a few days and an arranged marriage awaits you’. Your face suddenly goes to one of shock and distaste and this, the king does notice. ‘I know this is sudden my daughter, but I would like you to consider it, it is a good family and having them as allies would greatly benefit this kingdom’. You nod slightly as the king dismisses himself. Chanyeol, still out of sight overhears the entire conversation. You turn around to look in Chanyeols direction but he is already half way out the door closing it behind him without saying a word.

A few days later, the royal family from the neighbouring kingdom arrives with mountains of gifts for the king, a huge feast is prepared and the crowned prince and his trustee general welcome the guests to the palace. You are dressed that morning as if you are a prized gem getting polished to be sold off to the highest bidder, you hate the idea of this forced marriage although you’ve been expecting it your whole life, something or rather someone has changed that view of yours.

Was there any other choice? This was a request from your king and the man you loved was already married the answer should have been simple yet, you couldn’t bring yourself to even smile while greeting the new arrivals. The royal family that stood before you had the most beautiful clothes you had ever seen, with bright colours you’ve never seen used on garments before and jewelled headdresses shining as bright as the smiles on their faces. The prince was tall, yet shorter than Chanyeol, with tan skin and a lean built, he was handsome and had Japanese features whereas the little girl accompanying him was equally beautiful than any girl her senior with a bubbly smile always on her face. The prince greeted you with a light bow and you reciprocated with a forced yet pleasant smile. The whole meeting was short lived as the king and crowned prince wanted to speak to the royals in private. You were headed back to your room where you met eyes with Chanyeol standing outside the doors of where the meeting was held. You paused to speak to him however he just lowered his head and breaking the eye contact you had both shared. Was he ignoring you?

The prince and princess had stayed for a week, during which time the king requested you to show them around the palace, you had been through every inch of the palace with them, the pond, the gardens and even a firework display, always going back to the koi pond that the little princess simply loved. The prince was really charming and the thought of having to consider marrying him made your stomach knot however you kept having to reinforce that the man you loved was already married and you could not be unmarried forever. No matter how many times you told yourself this you couldn’t bring yourself to spend time alone with the prince always asking the little princess to tag along. You hadn’t spoken to Chanyeol that entire week and had only seen him for a few seconds passing by with the crowned prince, it hurt but you started to think maybe he wanted you to marry this prince as well that’s why kept his distance, after all general Park was loyal to the throne. Of course he couldn’t have had feelings for you, he was happily married, he was just thankful that you dressed his wounds. That was it.

 

They had left and the King had summoned you to the dining hall to have dinner with him and discuss some future decisions. ‘I am not going to be here forever (y/n) I want you to be able to depend on someone, to start a family and worry about your own happiness I think you should marry the Prince’ ‘I am sorry’ your voice low and head bent down looking at the uneaten food placed in front of you ‘I cannot marry someone I do not love, I don’t want to marry someone I cannot love’. The king sighs and continues to eat his food in silence, when his meal is finished he wakes up and walks over to you placing both his hands on your shoulders, you feel like you have disappointed him, disappointed everyone and tears slowly start to form at the corner of your eyes ‘I will not force you to marry someone you do not want to, your happiness is all that matters to me’ the king utters as he leaves the room after placing a light kiss on your head.

Relieved, you leave the dining hall at once, with only the thought of telling Chanyeol what had just happened, you don’t remember when it happened but he has become the person you always want to talk to first. You search the palace but he isn’t there, you head to the library to find your brother casually reading a book and ask him where Chanyeol is, ‘and what do you want with my handsome general (y/n)’ ‘I need to tell him something urgently’ ‘what is it? Tell me?’ Baek is as inquisitive as ever ‘no, I want him to be the first’ ‘oh?’ his eyes light up and you realized you basically just confessed to your brother about liking his best friend ‘you will find him in the armoury, good luck’ with a smile forming on both your faces you rush out of the library and straight to the armoury to find a worked up Chanyeol practicing his sword skills on a wooden post.  He doesn’t notice you, he just slashes away at the post with his eyebrows creased, he looks so frustrated like he will release all his tension by hacking away at the lifeless wooden object.  ‘Chanyeol’ you call and he freezes and stays still for a few seconds before turning around to face you, eyebrows still creased with a slight pout, why does he look angry and why does it all seem directed to you. You want to tell him about what you and the king had just discussed but instead ‘why have you been ignoring me for the past week?’

‘I was just busy’ ‘you are a master of many things general Park but lying isn’t one of them’, suddenly another look of anger had taken over his perfect features, ‘I didn’t want to see you with him’ you didn’t expect such honesty after such a blatant lie and it took you by surprise. It was now or never, you had to get answers out of him you needed it to move forward ‘do you not want me to marry him?’ maybe it was the word marriage that changed his expression or that you were giving him the choice to speak freely but his eyebrows furrowed more as you could visibly see his jaw clench ‘I don’t want you to marry him (y/n), I hate the way he looks at you, I hate that you spent so much time with him, I hate that he got to also go to all the places we went to’ Chanyeols deep voice started to get louder and almost cracked with the coarseness ‘I HATE THAT YOU TOOK HIM TO THE QUEENS GARDEN, WHY DID YOU TAKE HIM TO OUR FAVOURITE GARDEN!’ you just stared at him, he looked like he would break, you felt like you were already crumbling inside ‘Chanyeol, I’ he interrupted you with a much softer slower paced voice ‘I hate that you have to get married, not like this, not to someone you don’t love not like me’. Stunned, you thought you heard wrong but it was clear as day. ‘What do you mean Chanyeol?’ ‘It’s just like what I said’ his tone much more solemn ‘I don’t want you to end up like me, a political marriage ordered by the king’ Chanyeol goes on to explain how he was ‘requested’ to get married to his wife as she came from family with a strong military background and the king had needed military power at that time to help defend his boarders, Chanyeol at the time being the best choice as he is closely connected to the royal family and second in command at the time was the perfect choice and of course the King knew Chanyeol would never disobey a direct ‘request’.  Chanyeol further explains that he feels as if his wife is also kept a prisoner in their marriage, she barely communicates, longing to return to her homeland and Chanyeol had promised her to one day send her back home. ‘When Baek becomes King, he promised he would make it happen, I could end the marriage’. We both know that when Baek makes a promise he would never go back on it and that’s why Chanyeol’s eyes lit up with so much hope when those words left his lips. ‘I want you to be happy (y/n), I want to be the reason you are happy, only me’. ‘I am not marrying the Price’ ‘what?’ ‘I told the King that I don’t want to marry him’. Without another word, Chanyeol finally letting go of his sword rushes up to you and crashes his lips against yours and kisses you slowly with all the affection and attention the perfect kiss should have as if it was what he has been wanting to do all his life, his hands hold your face in place and you melt within his embrace.

Two days later, a grand festival is held at the palace, you get all dressed up for the festival, waiting patiently as the maids tend to your hair embellishing it with all kinds of jewels and pins, needing to always be graceful and overflowing with etiquette just like your beautiful mother. Maybe the reason why you had so many suitors was because most of them always saw you like this, perfectly dressed from head to toe with a light smile and rosy cheeks, careful greetings and slow steps. A few knocks on the door had stopped your trail of thought and in comes Chanyeol in his royal guard uniform. He looked…attractive, as always. He gave you a quick glance, eyes trailing from up to down and back up again, he noticed you looking back at him and sharply made a small bow now looking straight at his feet with a sudden red flush enveloping his ears after realizing what you had just seen him do. It was so direct you couldn’t help but chuckle before starting to elegantly walk out of the room with Chanyeol following close behind.

Chanyeol leaves you by your seat a few chairs down from the king as he makes his way down to the small arena set up at the bottom of the palace stairs, as he leaves you remember the conversation you had with him that night after your first and last kiss and how you had promised to be together someday when he is no longer married no matter how long it took.

Baek and Chanyeol had gotten the crowd going with a short demonstration of friendly combat, of course Chanyeol always let your brother win, as the future king has to always be the strongest pillar in front of his people. You had started to notice something strange at the corner of your eye, the king had watched on but was not his usual self and got up to leave early, there was definitely something wrong. The next week you were suddenly called to the king’s quarters only to find two of the best doctors in the kingdom leaving just as you arrived. You immediately started to panic and hastened your steps to get inside the room. You are announced and make your way to a tired and frail looking king in bed. You and your father had always had a more casual relationship than the other younger siblings, maybe it was because you were the oldest or that you reminded him of the late Queen. You kneeled down next to his bed and held his hand gently allowing him to look at you more easily. ‘Don’t have such a troubled look on your face (y/n), I will make it through this’ His eyes shake and get glassy ‘you look so much like your mother, you are just like her, strong, beautiful and always caring for those who can’t care for themselves’ Why does this sound like a goodbye, the kings face was pale with dark circles under his eyes as if someone had stolen a week of sleep from him and had a nasty cough that made it difficult for him to breathe. Why didn’t you notice this sooner? Tears started to roll from your eyes and down your cheeks, you could tell that he didn’t have much time left. When the king reached to hold on to your hand, his hands were much smaller than what you remembered from your childhood. All kinds of awful emotions came barging into your head uninvited and for the first time in years you flashbacked to the day you were exactly like this kneeling at your mothers bedside before she passed. ‘Do not cry, it is a time to be happy, rejoice at my long reign and good life’. ‘Know that I will be with your mother soon and you will be watching your brother become the best king this kingdom has ever seen’.

 

END