A Step into the Magic Shop

Devastating Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You would run away from me and never come back…”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Be my girlfriend then,” Taehyung’s voice echoed in Joohyun’s ears. The simple yet petrifying four words send her into a cold sweat, the sound of her thumping heart was audible to him. His intention was only to tease the girl in his arm now but he wasn’t sure why would these four words came out so effortlessly. And now, it was as if her tense heartbeats have affected him; his heart was beating unearthly fast.

 

Seeing her frightened face, still not showing her, he too was affected by the moment, he giggled before closing in more to her, making their face only an inch apart. “Why are you so scared? I’m just playing with you. You looked like you just saw a ghost.”

 

She pushed on his chest and stepped back “don’t you have any other better things to do? Your mischievousness is really getting on my nerve!”

 

Leaning his back on the high table bar, he noticed how she was playing with her own interlocked fingers on the table, it was obvious that she’s avoiding his eye contact. Placing his arm on her shoulder, he asked “would you say yes if I’m serious?”

 

She shrugged her shoulder and made him pulled his hand back, “Aish…stop it, Kim Taehyung.”

 

“But the way you protected me, people may misunderstand you’re my girlfriend. You gulped down the tablets with the thoughts it was drugs,” he crouched to meet her eyes directly “why is that? Don’t tell me you’re falling for me, Ms. Tutor.”

 

“Yah…” she turned to him then pushed him stepped back a little to lengthen their small gap, “that’s because I’ll be in trouble if you are in a mess. Did you hear me correctly? I’m asking you to get a girlfriend to feel some love and not I’ll be your girlfriend to give you love.” She gabbled, angrily.

 

He raised his arms, surrendered “Alright, I’ll stop making fun of you.” Taking another sip of his drink, he said “girlfriend is not my thing, having one would only give me more problems and she’ll be in trouble too. I was never good with girls. I’ve had enough of those .”

 

“Basically, you became enemies with Hanbin and gang over a girl?”

 

“Well, it wasn’t that I want, they made it looked that way. Anyway, I don’t even remember how she looks.”

 

“Daebak, so you’re only on flings? You’re a real player, a Casanova?”

 

“I’ve not play any girl, Bae Joohyun,” he stated, seriously. His stern face surprised her. “I’m not fond with girls.”

 

She frowned, “I hope you’re not a gay and Jimin oppa is not your target.”

 

He rolled his eyes, irritated “don’t tell people which school you’re from, nonsense!” pinching on her nose playfully, he asked “what about you, you have dozens of fanboys wooing you, not even one is up to your standard?”

 

Lowering her head, he could see a tinge sadness on her face despite she tried hard in hiding it. “All I want now is to complete my studies and get a scholarship. Nothing should sway me for now.” Turning to him after puffing out a lengthy relieved breath, she noticed her lipsticks stains were still all over his jaw and chin. She took a Kleenex and reached out her hand to wipe off for him “I’m sorry…”

 

Understanding her meaning, he tilted up his head so she could have a better view “what’s with the kiss, I thought you were overtaken by some evil spirit then.”

 

“I was buying time, if they came in and saw me holding the tablets which are kept in a bag without a clinic’s name, I guarantee we would spend our night in the cell.”

 

“As much as I appreciate what you did earlier, but are you going to pull such stunt for whoever that person is?” he sounded concern, “if those are really drugs and you took all of it in one go, you can die due to overdose, do you not know that?”

 

“You looked like you were overdosed just now, I can’t be making you take more right,” she sighed, “I just allowed my intuition do it, I can’t let you be caught by the police.” Turning to him with a hard glare, she hit on chest “if you weren’t that rebellious I wouldn’t have been in such state, my throat is still burning now.”

 

He held on her face and tilted her head to check “that’s because you poked it with your mighty strength, let me see…say ahh…”

 

“Go away,” she pushed his arms, lips pouted.

 

Holding on the back of her head, “you should show your cute side more.” he patted her head, tenderly “Promise me, never do that anymore. It’s too dangerous.” Passing a yogurt to her, he asked “what’s your relationship with hyung? Are you having a crush on him but dare not to confess?”

 

“Do you even understand what I said earlier, my focus is on my studies!”

 

“But both of you shared a lot of similarities and my hyung is a great guy, why not try considering?”

 

“We shared a lot in common too,” she pointed at both of them “but it’s impossible for you and I be together right…”

 

“Who knows…” he shrugged his shoulders, nonchalantly.

 

“Aish…I know you hate the fact that I stepped into your world, controlling and forcing you do lot of things which are all against your will,” her voice was low, “but time is passing really fast, our graduation is in 8 months’ time and maybe we would even part our ways after the CSAT which is in another 5 months’ time. Let’s work together for this remaining time that we have.”

 

Taehyung stared still on her hand that was reached out to him.

 

“Can we?”

 

“Since you’re willing to sacrifice yourself to save me,” he took hold her hand for a handshake, “I’ll listen to you…for the next 8 months, till we graduate.”

 

“You have to keep this promise.”

 

A sweet smile formed on Joohyun’s face as her hand on his tightened. Taehyung can’t help but to smile ear to ear upon seeing her smile. Little did they know, the following 8 months, this vague student-tutor relationship would lead them into a bittersweet and heart-wrenching romance.

 

-

 

As usual, Joohyun got up early in the morning and prepared to leave for school before the elders are even awake. The moment she stepped her foot out from the front gate after bidding bye to her brother, Baekhyun, she faced a familiar back figure resting. He had his arms on the car right in front of her house. When the boy whirled around, she was surprised to see Kim Taehyung.

 

“Why are you standing in front of my house early in the morning, Kim Taehyung?”

 

“Bae Joohyun, do you have to address me by my full name when you call others so sweetly?” Taehyung folded his arms, not happy with the name she called him.

 

She pouted her lips, “you and your blazing tempers, the day just started and you are already so pissed off. So why are you here?”

 

Placing his hand on her bag, he pushed her towards his car before opening the car door, “get in, we’re going to school together from now on. I never expect you to leave your house before the sun rises completely.”

 

Shaking his hand off her, she protested “No, why should I go with you. You go to school yourself with your chauffeur and I would take my usual transport, public bus.” She pushed his hand off her and walked away, heading towards the bus stand.

 

“Yah!! Bae Joohyun…”

 

Taehyung hopped on the bus in a rush after seeing Joohyun got on it earlier, he clumsily paid the bus fare inexperiencedly. Catching on his breath, he stood and leaned on the bus handrail pipe, the bus was packed with people during the morning rush hour. Before he could pace to the place where Joohyun was standing, he saw a man holding on a pocket mirror holding it under her skirt; thigh level. Just as she said, he was already pissed off early in the morning and seeing what the man was doing was enough to spike his internal flame to the max.

 

Taehyung moved to the oblivious girl’s back after pushing through the sea of standing passengers in the bus, “Jagiya…” he held on the grab handles and another hand held on the chair handrail, protectively shielded her from the man beside her.

 

“Kim Taehyung…” she tilted her head only to realized how close he was leaning against her and when she looked up to him, she could feel his breathing hitting on her face.

 

“There’s lot of ert in the bus,” he said a little louder, purposely. “You have to be careful especially when your skirt is this short,” he darted a hard glare to the man beside him.

 

“Bwoh…”

 

Understanding Taehyung’s meaning, the man immediately got off the bus when it stopped on the next station.

 

Heaving a heavy sigh, Taehyung whispered to her ear, “just now the man was peeking underneath your skirt with a pocket mirror.”

 

“WHAT!!” Joohyun shouted.

 

Taehyung moved a little backwards, eyes closed “what’s that for, Joohyun? My eardrum almost break.”

 

“You should have told me and I would whack that idiot,” she pouted.

 

Pinching on her lips with his thumb and index finger, he smiled “don’t always show me these pouty lips. Let’s go, we’ve arrived.” He grabbed hold on her hand and paced towards the exit door.

 

While walking to the school from the bus stand, she said “stop following me to school, I always leave very early and I’m not used with having a chauffeur.”

 

“What if I insist to?” he walked a bigger step and stopped before her making her halted her footsteps.

 

“I…”

 

“Yo!!!!” Namjoon interrupted the pair along with Jimin and Seulgi. “You guys even come to school together now?”

 

“We bumped into each other at the front gate,” Joohyun stole glances from Taehyung when she said that. Brushing off their curiosity, she asked “you guys are too early today…”

 

“There’s a discussion with Leeteuk Seonsaeng on the Summer Festival,” Seulgi stated, she was the organiser of the annual event.

 

“The event may be cancelled this year,” Namjoon added.

 

“Taehyung-ah, since you’re selected into the school team, the intensive training will start this week, right? So, you won’t be attending the classes in the second half of the day?” Jimin queried.

 

“Yup and Leeteuk Seonsaeng approved it but I’ll be stuck with this tutor for 4 hours revision after my training,” Taehyung nodded his head and sighed heavily.

 

“I’ve not even complain about it, what’s with that disgruntled face,” she smacked on his arm which he tried to dodge from her by running away. “Don’t run, Kim Taehyung!”

 

“Catch me if you can,” he stuck his tongue out, playfully while running backwards.

 

Their 3 friends watched them bickered and played as they followed them into the school. “Why do I find Taehyung-ie became rather cheerful recently?” Namjoon placed his arm on Jimin’s shoulder.

 

“I wonder,” Jimin held on his chin. “Especially to Joohyun, he smiled a lot.”

 

-

 

Joohyun entered the gymnasium and bowed to the alumnus who were back to train the new basketball team. She looked around in searching for her pupil.

 

“Joohyun-ah, he’s here,” Yoongi shouted towards her direction.

 

Walking up to them, Joohyun passed a small towel to Taehyung who was lying flat on the floor “clean up your sweat, Kim Taehyung.” Turning to the elder man, she asked “why is he this tired?”

 

Yoongi grinned, “Baekhyun was maximising his potential.”

 

Taking off his headband with her thumb and index finger, she stared at it disgustingly “did you even wash it?”

 

He sat up straight while using the towel to wipe his face that was drenched with sweat, “I’m waiting for you to get me another one.”

 

“Tch…shall we?” she reached out her hand to him, which he grabbed on it easily and pushed himself up with his free hand. Yoongi was watching every move of theirs and to him, everything happened so naturally just as though they have known each other for years with tacit understanding.

 

Taehyung leaned forward, holding on his knees “I know it’s pointless to ask this but can’t we skip today’s revision?”

 

She grabbed hold on his ear, pretending to twist it but she was actually holding on it gently. “Faster go have a quick shower and we are leaving.”

 

“Fine,” he stood straight, “hyung said we can have our revision at his apartment, I’ll shower there. My chauffeur will send us there, don’t argue with me.” He placed his hand on her back and led her towards the exit after bidding bye to his teammates.

 

-

 

Jin was still not home yet when Taehyung and Joohyun arrived at his apartment. Taehyung had been begging Joohyun to let him rest a little since they got on the bus. Seeing how tired and worked out he was, she couldn’t harden her heart and agreed to let him have 30 minutes nap before they start their revision.

 

“Sleepyhead, it’s time to wake up…” she gently tapped on his shoulder. Taehyung had been sleeping on the couch for the past 40 minutes. She wanted to wake him just like what they had promised but his tired sleeping face made her felt bad to wake him up.

 

Getting up from the couch, he sat up straight while hitting on his nape “why didn’t you wake me earlier?”

 

“Wow, I’m impressed,” she clapped her hands, “I thought you would’ve said ‘why didn’t you let me sleep more?’”

 

Checking on the clock, he sighed “hyung will be back soon, let’s get started.” He stretched out his hand and purposely having his fist on Joohyun’s cheek, playing with the small-framed girl.

 

“Tch…go freshen yourself.”

 

When Jin returned he had volunteered himself to cook dinner for all of them while the two younger ones continue studying. As he busied himself with the cooking at the open kitchen, he can’t help but got his attention attracted with his brother and love interest communication. Taehyung had been challenging on her explanation while Joohyun insisted on her reasoning which irritated the boy. He playfully messed up her hair while she hit on his arm, playing along with the prankish boy. Jin noticed how comfortable Joohyun was with Taehyung which it was a rare sight for him. Joohyun usually won’t get too touchy with the other boys and it took a long time for him to make her feel comfy with him. And it makes it stranger when Taehyung is showing this side of him to Joohyun.

 

“How’s Taehyung doing, Hyun?” Jin started a conversation as they began their dinner.

 

“Hyung, you’re checking on me also?”

 

Sensing the tension in Taehyung’s voice, Joohyun swallowed her rice “He’s doing well, it must be the Kim’s genes. He’s as smart as you’re, Jin oppa.”

 

A wide smile formed on Taehyung’s face as he heard her praising him and it made Jin shifted on his seat uneasily.

 

“Boston have sent me the appointment letter and I’ll be leaving in a week’s time before your mid-term exam begins,” Jin revealed before he continue eating his food.

 

“Before our summer break?” Joohyun placed her chopstick on the table. While Taehyung almost choked himself, “you won’t be here during the summer break?”

 

“I wish I could but there Boston Symphony Orchestra is preparing for large scale performance and they needed me to be there earlier than the initial plan.”

 

Taehyung heaved a disappointed sigh, “I haven’t even get to spend time with you hyung and you’re leaving already.”

 

For the rest of the dinner, they talked about Jin’s plan in Boston and when they were about to leave, Jin had offered to send them home.

 

“It’s alright, hyung,” Taehyung put on his sling bag before grabbing on Joohyun’s bag, “your friend dislike to trouble others. I’ll accompany her home, no worries.”

 

Shutting the door close after watching them stepped into the lift, his smile faded instantly. Jin had his whole body slumped on the closed door, his head tilted to the back and he stared still on the ceiling.

 

“Kim Seokjin, you’re overthinking. There’s nothing between them…just friends…”

 

-

 

Looking out from the bus window, Taehyung nudged on his tutor’s hand “it’s still early, let’s have some fun before we go home?”

 

“What’s in your mind again, I thought you’re tired?” before she could protest, he had pressed on the bell for the next stop while pulling her out from the seat exiting the bus.

 

Standing before the arcade game shop, Joohyun sighed. He hung his arm around her shoulder and bended his knees a little to levelled with the girl beside him, “I know you wanted to play too, don’t restrain yourself. Come on…”

 

Massaging his hands after throwing the last ball, Taehyung leaned on the machine “how often do you play this, how can you be so good.”

 

Joohyun smiled “This is the only thing I used to release my stress. Guess, practice makes perfect.”

 

He grabbed hold on her hand and high-fived on it “Same here…but your existence made me even more stress.”

 

“Because I kept breaking your record?”

 

“Precisely…”

 

She laughed, “let’s go, I’ll bring you for some street snacks, supper.”

 

“Look who we’ve got here,” said with a mood lifting tone, “Joohyun-ie, you finally brought your boyfriend along. We’ve waited long enough.”

 

“Ajuhmma, he’s not my boyfriend, a classmate,” she tried to explain.

 

“Pretty ajuhmma,” Taehyung wrapped his arm around Joohyun, “would you be giving us discount if we are a pair?”

 

“Of course,” the food truck lady boss got excited, “you two looked good together, lovely couple. Take a seat, I would get you all some food.”

 

“Yah, Kim Taehyung!!!” she pinched on his arm. “What’s that for?”

 

“For discount…” he held on her shoulders and pushed her seated on the empty seats. “Bae Joohyun, stop calling my full name.”

 

“If you could behave,” she took a sip of the water. “Yah…” she was surprised by Taehyung when he suddenly cupped on her chin with his large hand and turning her to face him.

 

“Don’t move,” he took the serviette and wiped on her stained cheek. “Just how clumsy can you be,” he chuckled and when he looked at her, he noticed she was staring still at him. His eyes were captivated by hers. He wasn’t sure why but his heart was tingling with excitement and without realizing, he was closing in their small gap making her feel his soft breath hitting on her cheeks.

 

“At this rate, I think this would be my treat,” the lady boss placed 2 plates of food before the them. “Joohyun-ie, you’re blushing…”

 

“Ajuhmma…” she whined, stealing glances from the boy beside her, shyly.

 

“The tteokbokki is delicious,” he looked away, awkwardly.

 

“I feel something is growing between you two…” she whispered to the red-faced girl in a low voice while watching the boy who was gobbling the food out of awkwardness, as though he was caught red-handed. Joohyun looked away as she placed her tightened fist against her uncontrolled heart, feeling the same peculiar heartbeat she once had.

 

-

 

“I’m supposed to send you off but ended up you are the one who is driving to the airport,” Joohyun sighed before turning to Jin who is checking on the side mirrors as he reversed into the parking bay. “You could have let Namjoon oppa drive you.”

 

Pulling on the handbrake, he turned to her “I don’t want anybody to disturb us, Hyun. You don’t like this?”

 

“It’s not that, what are we going to do with your car later?”

 

With a love smile on his face, he got out from the car and walked over to the passenger’s side, opening the door for her. “My chauffeur would send the car back home, don’t worry,” he reached out his hand, waiting for her to take it.

 

Hitting on his palm, she pursed her lips together, “you’ve been behaving very strangely lately.”

 

Closing the car door, he said “because you’ve neglected me over the past few months and only Taehyung’s matters that concern you.”

 

“Bwoh…” her eyes widened upon hearing his last few words.

 

“Let’s get going,” he held on her hand and walked towards the lift lobby.

 

Standing at the departure area while waiting for the rest, Joohyun kept checking on her watch and the entrance, anxiously. Jin knew she was avoiding his eye contact.

 

Grabbing hold on her small hands, he looked at her nervous face “Hyun-ah, I know I can’t force you in giving me an answer now but can you promise me that you will consider about it, seriously?”

 

“Jin oppa…you know very well,” she withdrew her hand and grasped on her blouse before her chest, “this shattered heart, I don’t even know how will it be okay, I’m not even sure if I would ever be okay again. It’s unfair for you, it’s not right to keep you waiting.”

 

“But I want to,” he grabbed hold on her hand against her chest. Bringing it down, he entwined his hand with hers, “I will wait for you. After all, you’ll be enrolling into Julliard Music School after your graduation, I would make you fall for me this time. Stay away from the boys, don’t get too attached with them.” His hand on hers tightened, “whether it is Namjoon, Yoongi, Jungkook or even Taehyung, stay away from them, arasso?”

 

She stuttered at the mention of Taehyung’s name, “What are you talking about…”

 

“Just remember, you should give me a chance instead of other boys out there,” Jin said, firmly.

 

Just when he tilted his head to check on Joohyun who had been keeping her head low to avoid his eye contact, he noticed his group of friends and Taehyung were walking towards their direction.

 

He held on her head and pecked on her forehead. She immediately pushed him away and pulled her hand from him, “Jin oppa…”

 

“Woah…” Hoseok skipped towards them, “what did we miss?”

 

“Yah hyung, isn’t it obvious?” Jungkook rested his arm on Hoseok’s shoulder while eyeing at Jin and Joohyun, naughtily. “Jin hyung, it went well this time?”

 

When Joohyun realized everyone has arrived, she brushed on her left arm, awkwardly. Noticing how uncomfortable her friend was, Seungwan walked up to Joohyun.

 

“Kim Seokjin, final warning. Stop taking advantage on Joohyun, you’re not even her boyfriend yet,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter